Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Clever ACC also wouldn't undertake cars. It spots the car in the right hand lane and reduces my speed so I don't undertake them.

Consider yourself lucky.... in the 1.0 software it was configured for left hand drive only and it interpreted an overtake maneouvre as an undertake and it used regularly refuse to pass out! :pac:

It does work properly now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

forestgirl wrote: »
    Was the seating position as high as the allspace?

Felt a little bit lower alright but not all that much. My wife noticed the difference more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

forumdedum wrote: »
    That's not too bad. Is that the AllSpace in that image? Seems a big difference in boot space

No not the AllSpace.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

gear_ie wrote: »
    Felt a little bit lower alright but not all that much. My wife noticed the difference more than me.

Well you seem very happy with it and it looks good so best of luck with it but please keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The ID.4 is 6cm lower than the Tiguan, so you should still have the sitting up higher feel.

See size comparison in the attached file.
    Thanks for this. I would prefer to sit high as in Tiguan I think but mind may change if sitting in the ID4.

I do not like the way the boot dips at all. i like the idea of sliding equipment, even boxes of shopping etc instead of having to lift/drop

What was up with the armrest?

That 6cm is roofline height. Not floor height. So seating position is literally the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

The ID.4 is 6cm lower than the Tiguan, so you should still have the sitting up higher feel.

See size comparison in the attached file.

Just to be clear, I think this image actually does compare the ID.4 against the Tuguan ALLSPACE which is the only Tiguan available in the US,

real dimensions for Tiguan available here https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/tiguan-dimensions.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

catharsis wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I think this image actually does compare the ID.4 against the Tuguan ALLSPACE which is the only Tiguan available in the US,

real dimensions for Tiguan available here https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/tiguan-dimensions.pdf

That is something you need to be careful of when looking at reviews, especially since the US Tiguan Allspace is just called the Tiguan, seemingly to confuse everyone from other countries :rolleyes:

So if a review mentions the ID.4 is smaller than the Tiguan, they probably mean the Allspace

I've seen the regular Tiguan and ID.4 beside each other and even though they're the same dimensions the ID.4 seems somewhat beefier. Probably down to the shorter bonnet and more rounded out shape

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

That is something you need to be careful of when looking at reviews, especially since the US Tiguan Allspace is just called the Tiguan, seemingly to confuse everyone from other countries :rolleyes:

So if a review mentions the ID.4 is smaller than the Tiguan, they probably mean the Allspace

I've seen the regular Tiguan and ID.4 beside each other and even though they're the same dimensions the ID.4 seems somewhat beefier. Probably down to the shorter bonnet and more rounded out shape

The id4 is between the tiguan and the tiguan allspace

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Son of Flicka

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It's only April.

Clearly whoever nominated and voted for the id4 has never owned one for a week. It's a great car, but it's got it's share of "first iteration" bugs in it.
    Random errors popping up
    The whole scheduled charging ****fest
    The middle vents freeze my knee
    Lack of decent glovebox on rhd cars
    Wasted centre console space under the front cup holders
    Hidden settings in the UI, and an explicit settings menu.
    Rear door sills trap water
    No mute button anywhere
    Giant charge port flap which I've seen a few have broken off after I assume they caught it when walking by.
    Awkward positioning of USB ports for anything that needs to go on the windscreen
    General software bugs/glitches

Not much of this bothers me greatly, but to call it car of the year is maybe a bit much. Still very happy with my purchase, and certainly in my opinion the 1st is the best EV (bang for your buck) on the market today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It's only April.

Clearly whoever nominated and voted for the id4 has never owned one for a week. It's a great car, but it's got it's share of "first iteration" bugs in it.
    Random errors popping up
    No mute button anywhere
    Giant charge port flap which I've seen a few have broken off after I assume they caught it when walking by.
    Awkward positioning of USB ports for anything that needs to go on the windscreen

Not much of this bothers me greatly, but to call it car of the year is maybe a bit much. Still very happy with my purchase, and certainly in my opinion the 1st is the best EV (bang for your buck) on the market today.

giphy.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Has anyone on here changed from a Tiguan to ID4?

Eventually I will go see the car but just wondering if it's at least an upgrade. The Tiguan is a super vehicle imo.

I did. I'm very happy with the ID 4. I didn't notice a difference in the driving height position. I like the armrests. At 6'2", I find the extra legroom more comfortable. The person sitting behind me has more legroom as well.

I had an hour long spin in the id.4 1st today, was decent but I couldn't imagine paying 55K to get travel assist. Lots of materials look like it came from the Caddy Van. Same as the id.3, the seats look decent and it's a comfortable car.

It's pretty quiet up to around 100 km/hr then it starts to get a bit noisy but in fairness the 20 inch wheels probably have a lot to do with that and I was on the M9 section after the Castledermot/Carlow turn off and the road surface changes to a notibly rougher noisy surface.

Handling was pretty good for the size of the car it doesn't feel it's weight at all but the price is that the ride quality in town on broken surfaces isn't the best and while handling is pretty good on back roads I wouldn't want it that firm and sometimes jittery all the time, Dynamic Chassis Contril is what's needed here to soften it up.

The 1st was riding on 20 inch wheels so you might want to get 18 or 19 inch if available it should help.

It's more than powerful enough for the majority of drivers.

The infotainment system would take some getting use to, on the move it can be a pain and it's not nearly as easy to use on the move as the idrive system in the BMW i3. Vice commands didn't work though.

I got car play working handy enough and was happy with that, this is one feature I really want in my next car.

The lane keep assist is annoying but I can see where it will help those who can't resist playing with the screen but perhaps they should spend 55 K to get the travel assist if they want to do this lol

The Adaptive cruise worked well, no complaints there.

Not having the battery % in the dash is odd, I set off with 350 Kms and arrived back with 340 lol but was mad seeing 300 + kms in an ev.

I expect most people who go for the 77 Kwh will go for the Life Trim for 45K or probably be more with metalic paint.

Having 125 Kw charging will be really convenient on a long trip but shame there are so few 150 Kw chargers and that will depend on battery temp in colder weather.

Overall, decent car but it's expensive for the interior quality that you get and spec at 45K and to make it worse the life spec will have less kit than the first.

:pac:

I'm hopeful software bugs will be fixed in time. The other stuff is mostly minor to me, but they are needless shortcomings.

I had an hour long spin in the id.4 1st today, was decent but I couldn't imagine paying 55K to get travel assist. Lots of materials look like it came from the Caddy Van. Same as the id.3, the seats look decent and it's a comfortable car.

It's pretty quiet up to around 100 km/hr then it starts to get a bit noisy but in fairness the 20 inch wheels probably have a lot to do with that and I was on the M9 section after the Castledermot/Carlow turn off and the road surface changes to a notibly rougher noisy surface.

Handling was pretty good for the size of the car it doesn't feel it's weight at all but the price is that the ride quality in town on broken surfaces isn't the best and while handling is pretty good on back roads I wouldn't want it that firm and sometimes jittery all the time, Dynamic Chassis Contril is what's needed here to soften it up.

The 1st was riding on 20 inch wheels so you might want to get 18 or 19 inch if available it should help.

The infotainment system would take some getting use to, on the move it can be a pain and it's not nearly as easy to use on the move as the idrive system in the BMW i3. Vice commands didn't work though.

I got car play working handy enough and was happy with that, this is one feature I really want in my next car.

The lane keep assist is annoying but I can see where it will help those who can't resist playing with the screen but perhaps they should spend 55 K to get the travel assist if they want to do this lol

The Adaptive cruise worked well, no complaints there.

Not having the battery % in the dash is odd, I set off with 350 Kms and arrived back with 340 lol but was mad seeing 300 + kms in an ev.

I expect most people who go for the 77 Kwh will go for the Life Trim for 45K or probably be more with metalic paint.

Having 125 Kw charging will be really convenient on a long trip but shame there are so few 150 Kw chargers and that will depend on battery temp in colder weather.

Overall, decent car but it's expensive for the interior quality that you get and spec at 45K and to make it worse the life spec will have less kit than the first.

Yeah, the 1st as far as I can see was by far the best value. Other series models all cost more, but included less. The entry spec for the 77kWh seems a bit rich imo.

Speaking of road surfaces. On my trip to youghal that road into youghal is like a washboard! It's almost comical. I've found it fairly ok around town though.

The 3-400km displayed is quite nice. Even nicer was on our trip the other day I probably would of been getting a bit conscious of range as we drove around while the kids slept had I been in the ioniq, but the id4 had 150km or so remaining when we pulled in. Not caring about range was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

It's only April.

Random errors popping up
    No mute button anywhere

Broadly agree, although I dont have an issue with the storage spaces up front. I do miss the sunglasses compartment from the Ioniq though.

Overall I'm very happy to have got a first at a good price but don't think I'd be buying a series model given the cost/spec.

Saw one on the back of a rescue truck a few days ago, no visible damage, hopefully just out of juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

It's only April.

Random errors popping up
    No mute button anywhere

The rear door sills on my 2016 Tiguan trap a lot of water too. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

I had an hour long spin in the id.4 1st today, was decent but I couldn't imagine paying 55K to get travel assist.
    [snip]

I'd still like to see what you think of the ID.3 Tour if you actuallt test-drove one! It's a LOT bigger than the i3 (lets face it it's really a minivan trying to look like a hatchback) and has all of the toys you want at the 40-45K price point.

We got the ID.4 because Wifey wanted a jeep to replace her Leaf, otherwise we would have gone ID.3 Tour (coming out of the Tesla I'm really unhappy with having no Tour Assist in the ID.4 whenever I drive it, but she is very happy and never used ProPilot in the leaf anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

The ID4 has room for improvement because it is still a fine machine. Comfy to drive. It is an ideal family car. Perfect for road trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ConorF

It's only April.

Random errors popping up
    No mute button anywhere

The space under the cup holders is one of our favourite features. Perfect for the wife’s handbag.

• Advertisement

ConorF wrote: »
    The space under the cup holders is one of our favourite features. Perfect for the wife’s handbag.

Space under cup holders? On the front of the centre console?

Could be handy for a handbag, though these days it's nappy bags in tow for us.

I tried putting a tissue box there (there's really no obvious place for one) but at the first corner is slid into the drives footwell. I've 1 wedged there now, so it's not ideal. Hoping to see some 3rd party ideas from China over the next few months. Certainly only something cloth and weighty enough, so as not to slide out, can sit there.

Space under cup holders? On the front of the centre console?

yeah, there's a smallish triangular gap there. If it even had a small lip on the sides it'd be useful to me, but it's all smooth carpet i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could be handy for a handbag, though these days it's nappy bags in tow for us.

I tried putting a tissue box there (there's really no obvious place for one) but at the first corner is slid into the drives footwell. I've 1 wedged there now, so it's not ideal. Hoping to see some 3rd party ideas from China over the next few months. Certainly only something cloth and weighty enough, so as not to slide out, can sit there.

Could you velcro something to the carpet there and pop the tissue box in that?

Well I'm learning loads on here. Didn't know about that space and didn't know about the heated steering wheel yesterday. Anything else ye have discovered that others might not know about?

Well I'm learning loads on here. Didn't know about that space and didn't know about the heated steering wheel yesterday. Anything else ye have discovered that others might not know about?

You can set the car to turn on the heated seats and steering wheel if it's cold automatically when you start the car. It's buried in the settings somewhere, and perhaps in the app too.

Browsing Aliexpress:
    1:18 scale model of the ID4
    Roofbars
    Some touchscreen display films and mud guards too, but neither I think are necessary... not that the 1:18 scale model is necessary either. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ConorF

😂 my wife watched reviews before we got it and couldn’t believe they were giving out about the space under the cup holders being useless. She was genuinely excited by it.

Probably a first for this forum to discuss handbag space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

�� my wife watched reviews before we got it and couldn’t believe they were giving out about the space under the cup holders being useless. She was genuinely excited by it.

Probably a first for this forum to discuss handbag space.

VW might "add" it as a feature and charge accordingly ;)

catharsis wrote: »
    I'd still like to see what you think of the ID.3 Tour if you actuallt test-drove one! It's a LOT bigger than the i3 (lets face it it's really a minivan trying to look like a hatchback) and has all of the toys you want at the 40-45K price point.

We got the ID.4 because Wifey wanted a jeep to replace her Leaf, otherwise we would have gone ID.3 Tour (coming out of the Tesla I'm really unhappy with having no Tour Assist in the ID.4 whenever I drive it, but she is very happy and never used ProPilot in the leaf anyway)

I test drove the id.3 first and apart from the interior it was a nice drive. I wouldn't buy the 4 seater when I know there's a 5 seater on the way. But I'm test driving the id.3 again on Friday.

44K for tour is a fair bit of cash for the type of car in fairness but it beats spending 55K on the id.4 to get travel assist.

Having said that the id.3 feels a lot more cramped in the rear than the BMW i3, the i3 maybe narrower but it has a lot more headroom and it's got more hear room all over.

It's a pity the tour has to loose Dynamic Chassis control, though from what I remember the id.3 rides a lot better than the id.4 which is too harsh, maybe due to the 20 inch wheels so the id.3 probably doesn't need DCC.

The Kia E-Niro offers more room than the id.3 + 7 year warranty with Kia's Travel assist but I can imagine the id.3 goes further with 13 more kwh _ it charges at 125 Kw, well not all the time but it's still much faster. battery temp dependent of course.

• Advertisement

Summer8181 wrote: »
    The ID4 has room for improvement because it is still a fine machine. Comfy to drive. It is an ideal family car. Perfect for road trips.

Yeah it's a decent drive except the ride is too harsh for family trips, this is where DCC would really help, could soften it up in comfort mode.

It's fine when you want to rally the back roads the odd time but it's too firm on broken surfaces in town. I was surprised for such a heavy car. The 20 inch wheels don't help.

Travel assist option on lower trims would be great but I wouldn't spend 55 K to get it, the interior is too gammy for that kind of money.

Advertisement