Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Didn't know that. I rocked up to a ChargePoint charger last week thinking I could use the ESB card to pay. No such luck.

So it's multiple apps and multiple cards. Think I'll just charge at home at all times.

I received a chargepoint card in the post. Didn't even know I ordered it. Should I activate it?

What are pros/cons of this card. Up to now I was only using ESB charge card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Summer8181 wrote: »
    I received a chargepoint card in the post. Didn't even know I ordered it. Should I activate it?

What are pros/cons of this card. Up to now I was only using ESB charge card.

They just sent you a card? Very odd. I thought they were partnered up with ESB but it appears they're now separate.

I've no idea of the pros and cons other than you will be able to use certain ChargePoint charging stations that the ESB card doesn't work at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Chargepoint have a cheaper Ionity rate then VW We Charge Free offer at the moment (EUR0.64 vs EUR0.73 per kWh) ....unless VW 'update' their rates in the meantime

cannco253 wrote: »
    Chargepoint have a cheaper Ionity rate then VW We Charge Free offer at the moment (EUR0.64 vs EUR0.73 per kWh) ....unless VW 'update' their rates in the meantime

Thank you. Is there a charge to activate or a subscription cost. Doubt I'll need to use ionity. Are there many ionity chargers in Ireland.

Too expensive unless you are in a rush. Then only fast charging with certain conditions. 30 minutes on 50kWh charger is enough in most cases.

Too expensive unless you are in a rush. Then only fast charging with certain conditions. 30 minutes on 50kWh charger is enough in most cases.

Depends, if someone uses the chargers a couple of times a year then the ionity rates are not expensive especially if most charging is done at home, better to have them than want them and there's 4 chargers per site vs 1 for the majority of ESB chargers and I'd happily pay more to charge rather than pay to queue and charge and rish adding potentially 2 hrs extra waiting on 2 cars to charge then 30 mins or more for my own charge, that would be a nightmare.

+ the ESB are probably throttling the 50 Kw where they have their 150 Kw chargers, I noticed this in Kilcullen and that in my opinion is unacceptable. + you got the situation where 50 Kw cars are charging on the 150 Kw and higher than 50 Kw capable on the 50 Kw. It's a joke. So I'd happily pay more for a better service.

I get your point though, when you're in having a meal a 50 Kw charger is fine except when someone is queuing waiting for you to finish.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Also Ionity is CCS only so no Chademo cars.

Are any PHEVs CCS or are they all type 2?

Depends, if someone uses the chargers a couple of times a year then the ionity rates are not expensive especially if most charging is done at home, better to have them than want them and there's 4 chargers per site vs 1 for the majority of ESB chargers and I'd happily pay more to charge rather than pay to queue and charge and rish adding potentially 2 hrs extra waiting on 2 cars to charge then 30 mins or more for my own charge, that would be a nightmare.

+ the ESB are probably throttling the 50 Kw where they have their 150 Kw chargers, I noticed this in Kilcullen and that in my opinion is unacceptable. + you got the situation where 50 Kw cars are charging on the 150 Kw and higher than 50 Kw capable on the 50 Kw. It's a joke. So I'd happily pay more for a better service.

I get your point though, when you're in having a meal a 50 Kw charger is fine except when someone is queuing waiting for you to finish.......

Good points. If there is no subscription charge, I'll activate it. I can stand waiting in a queue. If you are on holidays with the family, it would definitely be a no brained.

Where are these ionity chargers?

Good points. If there is no subscription charge, I'll activate it. I can stand waiting in a queue. If you are on holidays with the family, it would definitely be a no brained.

See the map in the link below.

Unfortunately there are only 5 sites on motorways which is handy and for instance in Kill they have them on the N7 North and South so that's 8 chargers for the route. There are no future plans as of now to install any more from what I can find.

I'm not sure whether non teslas can use tesla super chargers now that they have changed to CCS ?

Tesla have 3 sites with 5 more planned including 1 for the North.

Unfortunately the M9 remains one of the worst served for high power chargers.

The South West, West and North remain very poorly served for anyone doing long road trips around the coast in particular.

Link to tesla map https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/findus?v=2&bounds=54.256342111108935%2C-5.444171765832051%2C52.2633334566114%2C-12.475421765832051&zoom=8&filters=supercharger&location=BuilthWellssupercharger

Ionity map https://ionity.eu/en/where-and-how.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

As far as I remember, Chargepoint are the same as ecars: you need to put €20 on the card and top it up as necessary. I think the lowest you can let it go is €5, then it'll auto top up.

It's been a while since I've used any of the public rapids.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not sure whether non teslas can use tesla super chargers now that they have changed to CCS ?

Nope, will never happen, it's mooted from time to time but the software protocols render it extremely difficult

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

As far as I remember, Chargepoint are the same as ecars: you need to put €20 on the card and top it up as necessary. I think the lowest you can let it go is €5, then it'll auto top up.

It's been a while since I've used any of the public rapids.

I've a Chargepoint account, never topped it up, I just use it for their free 22kW AC charge points though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

slave1 wrote: »
    I've a Chargepoint account, never topped it up, I just use it for their free 22kW AC charge points though...

Chargepoint have free AC chargers?? Where do I find these free electricity givers? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Also Ionity is CCS only so no Chademo cars.

Are any PHEVs CCS or are they all type 2?

Mercedes have a few new models with that capability, I do not know if standard or an option, the i3 rex was the only other I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWtu-4x-QU

Might be handy tips for some owners who don't know this already.

Chargepoint have free AC chargers?? Where do I find these free electricity givers? :P

Spill the beans! Free chargers....?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Spill the beans! Free chargers....?

I used an ESB charger in the north last Thursday (twice) and there was no charge on my account.

There is no legal basis to charge money for charging in NI, got stalled when Stormount went on holiday few years back and still in the wind, enjoy while it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

slave1 wrote: »
    There is no legal basis to charge money for charging in NI, got stalled when Stormount went on holiday few years back and still in the wind, enjoy while it lasts

Yea - you get the PVEH hogging them while they go for a walk - can be a nightmare at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

So to get a reverse camera i need to spend al out €5,000 more. Have car manufacturers stopped giving the options of paying for an extra. Say sunroof for €1,200 for example?

It’s a balls, they should look at themselves and EV competitors and reflect their nicely loaded competitors, VW base models are brutal, things like reversing cameras and parking sensors should be on base trim.
    Let Dacia take the tin can market

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Another night of failed scheduled charging, but I did find a "hack" of sorts. Unlock and lock the car (I wait about 10s in between) during the schedule and it starts charging. I've little ones so waking in the middle of the night isn't uncommon. It's a joke though. If/when I need a full battery I'll just charge immediately before i go to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Another night of failed scheduled charging, but I did find a "hack" of sorts. Unlock and lock the car (I wait about 10s in between) during the schedule and it starts charging. I've little ones so waking in the middle of the night isn't uncommon. It's a joke though. If/when I need a full battery I'll just charge immediately before i go to bed

I'm glad I got the Zappi now so I don't have to deal with this crap

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Another email from VW received this morning.....

Dear Volkswagen customer,

We are pleased to support you with your request about the mobile online services with the case number 0000XXXX.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you have not received feedback to your request so far.

In order to provide you with an answer as quickly as possible we are in a continuous exchange with our expert department, who are already working on a solution.

Hence we would like to ask you for a little more patience and as soon as we have further information, we will contact you immediately.

Yours sincerely,
    Your Volkswagen Team

Sounds like you're making more progress than me, at least they've acknowledged an issue

VW Ireland have escalated the issue but I doubt they're working night and day to get it fixed

I've a VW connect charger at my Gaf. I plug in cable and it immediately starts charging. I use my ID app to cancel charging by swiping to the left.

Later that evening using the app I swipe to the right and it starts charging. No ideal but it is better that going outside in the cold and wet.

Is that VW's own charger you have installed? Or is the problem with the car?

forumdedum wrote: »
    Is that VW's own charger you have installed? Or is the problem with the car?

It's not a VW charger. It's worked faultlessly for 2 years before the id4. It's a software issue with the id4

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheSpinmaster

Hi All,

I've been reading this thread as I'm looking for a new car and I am very much a novice and I came across the ID4. I wonder if I could tap your knowledge a bit.

Myself and my other half work from home in Dublin (and will primarily do so in future), so we don't do big mileage (very small in fact). We only travel outside of Dublin a few times a year, generally not further than Cork or Sligo. We now need a bigger, more family oriented car (lots of boot space, etc.).

-> Based on our profile, I was thinking that an EV would suit us and that the lower end 52kw battery ID.4 models would be sufficient. Does this sound reasonable?

-> I've seen mentions on the thread of the lower end City model being poorly specced. What are the key features that are missing (apart from the reverse camera which I would have liked)? I'm coming from a 15 year old low spec car and have never driven a new one, so I don't really know what I'm missing :)

-> I called a dealer and made a few general enquiries on price, etc. for the ID.4. I was told that the list price is the price and VW won't allow any negotiation on that. Do you believe that this is true?

Appreciate any insights that you can provide, already learned loads from the thread.

It's not a VW charger. It's worked faultlessly for 2 years before the id4. It's a software issue with the id4

Sorry to hear that. I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Hi All,

I've been reading this thread as I'm looking for a new car and I am very much a novice and I came across the ID4. I wonder if I could tap your knowledge a bit.

Myself and my other half work from home in Dublin (and will primarily do so in future), so we don't do big mileage (very small in fact). We only travel outside of Dublin a few times a year, generally not further than Cork or Sligo. We now need a bigger, more family oriented car (lots of boot space, etc.).

-> Based on our profile, I was thinking that an EV would suit us and that the lower end 52kw battery ID.4 models would be sufficient. Does this sound reasonable?

-> I've seen mentions on the thread of the lower end City model being poorly specced. What are the key features that are missing (apart from the reverse camera which I would have liked)? I'm coming from a 15 year old low spec car and have never driven a new one, so I don't really know what I'm missing :)

-> I called a dealer and made a few general enquiries on price, etc. for the ID.4. I was told that the list price is the price and VW won't allow any negotiation on that. Do you believe that this is true?

Appreciate any insights that you can provide, already learned loads from the thread.

Download the spec sheet from VW and compare them yourself. Any questions what things are, just ask. It's 10s of thousands of euro, worth reading the spec sheet yourself rather than rely on us here.

The car is big, great for a family, which is exactly why we bought ours. I've gotten used to reversing cameras so I wouldn't be without it, but certainly some parking assistance would be needed with it. It's big!
    Heated seats will help with energy consumption. Don't quote me, but I think the base version has sensors and heated seats.

The 52kWh version will need at least 1 charge going from Dublin to Cork (I assume city), most likely 2. 20 minute each would be grand.

If a dealer says the price is the price, go to a different dealer. I had dealers say this to me, so I hung up and found a dealer who gave me a few grand of a discount. Maybe a bit early for discounts since the series versions are not with the dealers yet.

Word to the wise, the range quoted is not real world range. Don't let a dealer or anyone try convince you otherwise. Take 20% off for real world 80-100kmph driving, another 20% off for motorway.

• Advertisement

Does anyone who ordered a 1st Max have a VIN in their my Volkswagen page?

I still have none which I think means the car is pretty early in the production line

I'm becoming less hopeful the car will arrive in April. Might as well be a 212 reg at this rate

Advertisement