Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I think you have misread that a little,

Conor lost there first fight because he put the foot down when Diaz was hurt & he couldn't get him out of there & gassed , It was obvious he didn't want to do the same thing in the second fight and it proved the right decision

Don't agree. He was single paced in Diaz 1 as well, just the pace was faster from the get go. He is really bad at making mid fight adjustments to how he fights. He fights how he starts regardless of what happens until he either gets tired or opponent is down. Diaz was in bad trouble near end of rd4, much different than their first fight as Diaz was visibly tired as well after trying in take Conor out in rd3. After Conor landed 2 clean left hands near end of rd4, Diaz was out of it for a bit and backing up. If Conor recognised and landed 1 or 2 more who knows what couldv'e happened, but Conor backed up on his coaches request and let Diaz recover, imagine if he lost in rd5 after that, which could've happened if Diaz got the trip just a bit sooner.

He also didn't recognise Poirier had an answer to his left, reaching right uppercut he kept throwing when he had Poirer backed up at the fence. The one that Poirier countered in rd1 then pointed and smiled. Conor kept going back to that exact same thing despite Poirier blocking every time and countering. It was that same punch combo he tried to throw which was the beginning of the end in rd2. Poirier saw the look on Conors face and immediately stepped on the gas and took him out in a few seconds. Had Conor been able to adjust and recognise that combo was no use, fight would've played out different.

He finds a handful of things he thinks will work in camp, practices, tries them in the fight. If it doesn't work, he just keeps trying them anyway. No ability to adjust at all. And thats why his leg got kicked as much as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I also agree with that you said above. I too think Conor has shown a lack of heart before.

It was evident in the Diaz fight, the the second Poirier fight and in a smaller way in the Khabib fight.

He gives up mentally and i'm not sure that's something you can train out of him at this point.

I think there is enough proof out there now to claim this as fact. He doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to recover from a really hard knock/s. He gets hurt and panics, his energy completely depletes and his timing/footwork goes. I can't think of a time where he has been in serious trouble and has been able to fight his way out of it.

Diaz two maybe, but I dont think he was actually taking much punishment or clean shots up against the cage that time.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I think there is enough proof out there now to claim this as fact. He doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to recover from a really hard knock/s. He gets hurt and panics, his energy completely depletes and his timing/footwork goes. I can't think of a time where he has been in serious trouble and has been able to fight his way out of it.

Diaz two maybe, but I dont think he was actually taking much punishment or clean shots up against the cage that time.

He all but gave up in Diaz 2 rd3 , does his usual sitting against fence to turn into a punch bag. He's lucky the ref didn't stop it as he threw 0 punches back for a very long time there. When hes in trouble he doesn't try to move or fight back he just sits there and takes it. Can't do that against someone like Poirier who is more dangerous with his hands than Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

spix wrote: »
    He all but gave up in Diaz 2 rd3 , does his usual sitting against fence to turn into a punch bag. He's lucky the ref didn't stop it as he threw 0 punches back for a very long time there. When hes in trouble he doesn't try to move or fight back he just sits there and takes it. Can't do that against someone like Poirier who is more dangerous with his hands than Diaz.

His usual ? In what fight before Diaz 2 did he sit on the fence and not fight back to make it "his usual " ?

His usual ? In what fight before Diaz 2 did he sit on the fence and not fight back to make it "his usual " ?

Its clearly how he reacts when in a bit of trouble. End of Mayweather, Poirier 2, Diaz rd3 were mirror images. Just became a punch bag, no attempt to fight back despite being on his feet. Compare to Holloway vs Poirier, or Holloway vs Kattar for example. Poirier landed a large amount of power punches several times on Holloway, he would always get a bit of distance to recover, or try to grab Poiriers arms... he wanted to keep fighting despite being hurt. Kattar, Holloway landed loads of volume against him, clearly in trouble, swung back every single time to stay in the fight. Conor just freezes, becomes a punchbag. Same reason Khabib choked him out, Conor gave up (his back) as he didn't want to stay in the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,099 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Its clearly how he reacts when in a bit of trouble. End of Mayweather, Poirier 2, Diaz rd3 were mirror images. Just became a punch bag, no attempt to fight back despite being on his feet. Compare to Holloway vs Poirier, or Holloway vs Kattar for example. Poirier landed a large amount of power punches several times on Holloway, he would always get a bit of distance to recover, or try to grab Poiriers arms... he wanted to keep fighting despite being hurt. Kattar, Holloway landed loads of volume against him, clearly in trouble, swung back every single time to stay in the fight. Conor just freezes, becomes a punchbag. Same reason Khabib choked him out, Conor gave up (his back) as he didn't want to stay in the fight.

Agreed.....

When on top and bossing it, all is fine n dandy....true measure is when up against it and under real pressure

Conor has never really shown me that real fighting and gutsy fall on your sword attitude.....

His loss a few months ago was a complete fold job....was he really that hurt...?

Diaz 2 he showed more cleverness and strategy.....when the going was getting hard, he chose breathers and moving away; which he is entitled to do, but this was due to him knowing that he did not have the engine/heart and machismo for a tear up against a man that was as strong as him...

If he cannot get Poirier out, I cannot see him faring well in a any type intense fight or blow for blow scenario....I think he folds again..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

^
    Same reason I don't think he beats DP again as these guys absolutely love the violence. DP vs Gaethje, Hooker, they are just brutal.

His left hand shot power doesn't transfer against the bigger guys either, Khabib walked right through him, DP took it on the chin, he couldn't put Diaz away in either fight.

I'm not a Conor fan but your being very unfair ,

So Diaz 2 was the first time you seen it ? not usual then

Diaz 2 round 3 you seem to have made it a lot worse in your head it was a bout 50 seconds left when he first found himself with the back to the cage and he was still grabbing under hooks and ducking and slipping, He didn't just stand there he kept moving ,

Again I think he was clever he knew exactly what he was doing
    Why waste energy for the last 50 seconds of a round if you don't need to ?

Dustin he got hit with a really good right hand just before he turned his back to the cage ,

Khabib mauls everyone , he lasted longer than Dustin or Justin for example, He actually even won a round

Mayweather was the guys first ever pro boxing match against the greatest of all time so i'll give him a pass ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm not a Conor fan but your being very unfair ,

So Diaz 2 was the first time you seen it ? not usual then

Diaz 2 round 3 you seem to have made it a lot worse in your head it was a bout 50 seconds left when he first found himself with the back to the cage and he was still grabbing under hooks and ducking and slipping, He didn't just stand there he kept moving ,

Again I think he was clever he knew exactly what he was doing
    Why waste energy for the last 50 seconds of a round if you don't need to ?

Dustin he got hit with a really good right hand just before he turned his back to the cage ,

Khabib mauls everyone , he lasted longer than Dustin or Justin for example, He actually even won a round

Mayweather was the guys first ever pro boxing match against the greatest of all time so i'll give him a pass ,

Diaz doesn't really have any power, he'll cut you up but its rare he gets a finish. Fight against masvidal really showed him up.

rob316 wrote: »
    Diaz doesn't really have any power, he'll cut you up but its rare he gets a finish. Fight against masvidal really showed him up.

I think Diaz is a but unlucky like Conor in regards there natural weight ,
    He is to weak for welter weight and to drawn out at lightweight,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I also agree with that you said above. I too think Conor has shown a lack of heart before.

It was evident in the Diaz fight, the the second Poirier fight and in a smaller way in the Khabib fight.

He gives up mentally and i'm not sure that's something you can train out of him at this point.

Tbf after that 3rd round in the second Diaz fight if there was ever a time you thought he was done that was it ....Big John nearly had to carry him back to his corner..........then went on to win a big round, tho they were both walking dead at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Tbf after that 3rd round in the second Diaz fight if there was ever a time you thought he was done that was it ....Big John nearly had to carry him back to his corner..........then went on to win a big round, tho they were both walking dead at that stage

Yeah maybe but does he deserve credit for the bare minimum of carrying on into the 4th round of a 5 round fight? For him to not give up is just standard behaviour. You're not supposed to give up.

However, if you watch the first Diaz fight you can see it. You can see when he starts to doubt himself.

I saw the same in the Poirier fight.

I don't agree with those saying Conor didn't hurt Dustin, I think Dustin was hurt by Conor on a couple of occasions. But Dustin didn't go away. It sprang a doubt in Conor, who already has his own internal doubts about his stamina and cardio hanging around his neck constantly. There were plenty of deep breaths from Conor in that first round.

He won the first round, but the shots that has put mortals away before (including Dustin) didn't put him away this time.

The second round started by Dustin compounding the good work he'd put in with the legs kicks and Conor couldn't hide it anymore. He started to reach for them, at one point catching two of them with his hand. Alarm bells and a huge indication to Dustin that they are doing the trick. You can see Conor's movement compromised at this point, approx 2 mins into the second round.

Conor can no longer move and starts to wing big punches. He knows he doesn't have much left. He actually hits Dustin with a big left but Dustin doesn't budge and that's that. You can see it in Conor's face that he knows he's in trouble. He's physically and mentally gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

McGregor will probably win.

Poirier knows well he's getting the big purse this time, he doesn't care about the title so doubt he'll care too much.

Pussyhands wrote: »

Poirier knows well he's getting the big purse this time, he doesn't care about the title so doubt he'll care too much.

:confused:

:confused:

Hes saying Dustin will give Conor a W for a big payday to save his career.
    Bisping did say he heard Dustin would be getting more than just a few million for the rematch.

Great breakdown there Pussyhands.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Hes saying Dustin will give Conor a W for a big payday to save his career.
    Bisping did say he heard Dustin would be getting more than just a few million for the rematch.

I post the same emojii.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Great breakdown there Pussyhands.

Can't wait for the next installment!

You'll need to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't agree with those saying Conor didn't hurt Dustin, I think Dustin was hurt by Conor on a couple of occasions. But Dustin didn't go away. It sprang a doubt in Conor, who already has his own internal doubts about his stamina and cardio hanging around his neck constantly. There were plenty of deep breaths from Conor in that first round.

He didn't go away because instead of following up, Conor just stood there with his thumb up his hole waiting for Dustin to recover.
    If he'd bothered to follow up he likely would have actually won that fight.

No.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He didn't go away because instead of following up, Conor just stood there with his thumb up his hole waiting for Dustin to recover.
    If he'd bothered to follow up he likely would have actually won that fight.

And it's possible he didn't do so because he was worried about his gas tank. Happened in the first Diaz fight and he was lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yeah maybe but does he deserve credit for the bare minimum of carrying on into the 4th round of a 5 round fight? For him to not give up is just standard behaviour. You're not supposed to give up.

However, if you watch the first Diaz fight you can see it. You can see when he starts to doubt himself.

I saw the same in the Poirier fight.

He won the first round, but the shots that has put mortals away before (including Dustin) didn't put him away this time.

The second round started by Dustin compounding the good work he'd put in with the legs kicks and Conor couldn't hide it anymore. He started to reach for them, at one point catching two of them with his hand. Alarm bells and a huge indication to Dustin that they are doing the trick. You can see Conor's movement compromised at this point, approx 2 mins into the second round.

Conor can no longer move and starts to wing big punches. He knows he doesn't have much left. He actually hits Dustin with a big left but Dustin doesn't budge and that's that. You can see it in Conor's face that he knows he's in trouble. He's physically and mentally gone.

Wouldn't disagree on that, it's a most peculiar trait he has ....call it gas face or whatever but it's almost as if he changes appearance....when his face start to sag you know the game is up......I think it's been the case in all his losses

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Coincide

Goes without saying this could go either way.

Conor looked very good in the first round. Be stupid to count him out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Really hope this is the case. Can't think of many fighters that deserve it more than Dustin. He was certainly in a good bargaining position after the victory. Great fighter and a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

And it's possible he didn't do so because he was worried about his gas tank. Happened in the first Diaz fight and he was lost

If he was worried about his gas tank he should have went after him and finished the fight, not let him recover and drag it out. Dustin isn't the zombie that Nate is, he can be finished.

Diaz 1 he was gassed because he was head hunting and throwing power shots constantly, he thought he could knock him out like previous fights, not taking into account Nates adamantium head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭cletus

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It's amazing how 95% of the time (might be a slight exaggeration) people can never see a rematch having any other outcome than the first result.

Since UFC 1, 62% of the time the winner of the first match wins the rematch. Since 2012, that percentage is 77.7%

I'm not sure how this relates to your post. I like statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cletus wrote: »
    Since UFC 1, 62% of the time the winner of the first match wins the rematch. Since 2012, that percentage is 77.7%

I'm not sure how this relates to your post. I like statistics

I also like statistics. I think you both make good points.
    In addition to the above, I'd like to see what the odds were for the rematch. I'd be pretty sure that the original loser is better odds on average going into a rematch. I wonder what is always backing the winner or loser would have been profitable.

I also think it's interesting that the general consensus is that McGregor is simply not as good as Dustin and can't cut it. When a few months ago, many of the same people said Dustin was a gimme fight and being fed to McGregor. :pac:

My view is that both sets of opinions are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    I also like statistics. I think you both make good points.
    In addition to the above, I'd like to see what the odds were for the rematch. I'd be pretty sure that the original loser is better odds on average going into a rematch. I wonder what is always backing the winner or loser would have been profitable.

I also think it's interesting that the general consensus is that McGregor is simply not as good as Dustin and can't cut it. When a few months ago, many of the same people said Dustin was a gimme fight and being fed to McGregor. :pac:

My view is that both sets of opinions are wrong.

https://www.oddsshark.com/ufc/ufc-rematch-betting-strategy-statistics

Ask and you shall receive...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,884 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cletus wrote:
    Ask and you shall receive...

But this isn't fight 2, it's fight 3 and it's just as well you didn't have those stats for fight 2 as the winner of the first bout and strong favourite lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Conor will batter him this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    But this isn't fight 2, it's fight 3 and it's just as well you didn't have those stats for fight 2 as the winner of the first bout and strong favourite lost.
    Legend, thank you
    cletus wrote: »

Whether it's fight 2 or 3 it's still a rematch. And I'd be pretty confident the betting/odds aspect we are talking about apply just as much to a rubber match.

Advertisement