Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Do or die time for mcgregor.

Finished if he loses.

Will he get a title shot if he wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Will he get a title shot if he wins?

Incredibly brave to bet against Conor not getting whatever fight he wants if he beats Dustin.

He v the champ would be absolute blockbuster PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ok.

Andy Ruiz deserves a shot at AJ before Fury because they're 1-1.

No.

Stop.

You've got that a little mixed up anyway, Joshua might have a few alphabet titles, but Fury is the Lineal champion.
    It's Joshua who's getting the shot at him.

One thing that is much nicer about UFC, the general public know who the champion is !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Conor has no chance in a real fight against Dustin with his yes men coaches making him believe he only lost cause of leg kicks and stance. He lost because he quit once he got punched clean in the face. Was still up on his feet and threw nothing back, same as end of mayweather fight just turned into a punch bag for Dustin. Gonna spend all camp doing the wrong thing again. Needs to train with people who aren't going easy on him so not a shock to his system when he finds himself in a real fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The hedonic adaptation treadmill Conor is on is a hell of a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Why is everyone assuming he's fighting McGregor? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'd say you are missing the ability to connect the dots.

I think Conor needs to retire before he gets a rashad evans type finish in the same was Chuck liddell did only after being sparked by rich Franklin...it happens, consecutive back to back beatings of one time seemingly unbeatable fighter. hang up the gloves Conor.

what he had was a moment in time and it was great, the glory days are gone even if he won his next fight and it was a gimme, he'll be beat after.

Sorry Evans came first I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Poirier McGregor confirmed for 10th of July

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wonder where they will put this on.
    Presume they will go somewhere with a crowd. Is Vegas an option by July does anyone know or will it be elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

mdwexford wrote: »
    Wonder where they will put this on.
    Presume they will go somewhere with a crowd. Is Vegas an option by July does anyone know or will it be elsewhere?

Dana said they're targeting the T-Mobile in Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mdwexford wrote:
    Wonder where they will put this on. Presume they will go somewhere with a crowd. Is Vegas an option by July does anyone know or will it be elsewhere?

Jacksonville, Florida would be a good bet, can have crowds and it's right beside Louisiana where Poirier comes from. It's not close to Lafayette but if you have a car with four going you can split the drive and it's a very short fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

At this stage I think Dustin is just a better fighter at Lightweight than Conor
    Can't see it going any different , maybe Dustin gets the win a bit quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

At this stage I think Dustin is just a better fighter at Lightweight than Conor Can't see it going any different , maybe Dustin gets the win a bit quicker
    Maybe or he loses and we get a fourth fight between them in a year or two for huge money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's amazing how 95% of the time (might be a slight exaggeration) people can never see a rematch having any other outcome than the first result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

At this stage I think Dustin is just a better fighter at Lightweight than Conor
    Can't see it going any different , maybe Dustin gets the win a bit quicker

Maybe but it would hardly be an upset if McGregor won, I mean it wouldn't shock anyone would it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dustin beating Conor again is quite likely. Conor beating beating Dustin is quite likely..

Both are vulnerable. Conor hits heavy enough to take Dustin out.

But I think Dustin likely takes more beating than Conor.

Conor will fold early again if he gets hit clean and hurt. Dustin will be fitter and to beat him, Conor will need to hurt him very clearly..and then follow up.

Conor has not got real MMA guts and heart and the stomach for a beating..he folded so easily in a January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I think it's lik many a mcgregor fight. He has the power that he can win.

But being how little he has fought, how poor he looked in the last fight, it is hard to find anything to justifiably say he WILL win the fight.

Hopefully Kavanagh and crew are giving him the kick up the arse he needs, but even that is something I have doubts about, seem more happy yes men now than the tough medicine he needs.

Just looking at him v earlier fights, he seemed to have lost that angry hungry look.

All just conjecture really as we have all seen so little of him.

Not sure making another load of money from the whiskey, during a time he needs to work hard will have helped.

Conor connected multiple times with hard shots on Dustin in the last fight and never had him in any trouble
    Id be very surprised to see Conor stop Dustin in the 3rd fight,

Conor a bit unlucky he was to big to keep cutting to Featherweight but hes not big enough for Lightweight in my opinion, He was to powerful for anyone down there

Same way Khabib was a monster of a lightweight but would have been to small to impose his style at Welter weight so never went t near it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Poirier said McGregor hurt him with a left and that if he'd have pressured him he would've been in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

xtal191 wrote: »
    Poirier said McGregor hurt him with a left and that if he'd have pressured him he would've been in trouble

Another reason Conor cant win. He struggles to recognise when he has his opponent hurt and doesn't pounce on them. He just goes same pace giving them time to recover.

1 of many examples. End of Round 4 Diaz 2, Diaz was fecked after taking a few clean punches and you can hear Conors coach scream 'BACK UP CONOR'. No wonder...

Contrast to Poiriers reaction when he noticed mcgregor was hurt, immediately stepped on the gas and went after him.

spix wrote: »
    Another reason Conor cant win. He struggles to recognise when he has his opponent hurt and doesn't pounce on them. He just goes same pace giving them time to recover.

1 of many examples. End of Round 4 Diaz 2, Diaz was fecked after taking a few clean punches and you can hear Conors coach scream 'BACK UP CONOR'. No wonder...

Contrast to Poiriers reaction when he noticed mcgregor was hurt, immediately stepped on the gas and went after him.

I think you have misread that a little,

Conor lost there first fight because he put the foot down when Diaz was hurt & he couldn't get him out of there & gassed , It was obvious he didn't want to do the same thing in the second fight and it proved the right decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

spix wrote: »

Although Conor does tend to 'take pictures sometimes' and admire his work a bit, he actually has one of the best killer instinct in the games. Nearly all of his fights are finishes and he was ruthless once he hurt them. It's one his most exciting traits

The reason he didn't jump on Diaz was because he didn't think he could finish him and was conserving energy.

The 2nd porier fight he ****ed though and should have jumped on him once he hurt him in round 1 in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

McGregor's UFC debut was 8 years ago today.

What a ride since!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    McGregor's UFC debut was 8 years ago today.

What a ride since!

I seen a few of his Instagram stories the weekend and I was thinking why would he bother with fighting anymore,

The guys is in his mid 30's with a family, he is past his best , in a weight division that people are little bit to big for him , he is medical ok , Id just retire and live the fantastic life he does in peace away from the spot life,

He seems to be making more money out of fighting than in fighting these days ,I just don't see why he'd bother any more,

A few WWE gigs from time to time and just enjoy the wealth he has,

GSP in my eyes got the whole retirement thing right

The Poirier loss, and its manner probably really hurt Conor..

I think he just wants to try undo it with a win in fight..

Had he went another couple rds and lost via sub or points, he may not be so mad for fight 3. But to get thoroughly beaten and punched into defeat is tough to take..

Might be tougher if it happens again in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

walshb wrote: »
    The Poirier loss, and its manner probably really hurt Conor..

I think he just wants to try undo it with a win in fight..

Had he went another couple rds and lost via sub or points, he may not be so mad for fight 3. But to get thoroughly beaten and punched into defeat is tough to take..

Might be tougher if it happens again in July.

I also agree with that you said above. I too think Conor has shown a lack of heart before.

It was evident in the Diaz fight, the the second Poirier fight and in a smaller way in the Khabib fight.

He gives up mentally and i'm not sure that's something you can train out of him at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »

Conor has not got real MMA guts and heart and the stomach for a beating..he folded so easily in a January.

I think that's a little harsh. He took a hiding in the Diaz 2 fight and kept going. Same with Khabib. And Mendes to a degree.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    I think that's a little harsh. He took a hiding in the Diaz 2 fight and kept going. Same with Khabib. And Mendes to a degree.

The Mendez fight is a poor example, as Conor was always the stronger here, and he knew it......so as much as he was suffering, it was Mendez who was even more under the cosh...

Diaz 2.......one of his best ever performances, and he was landing more on Diaz all the time, plus, he was very economical and clever in that fight. Moved a lot to get breathers and to avoid engaging.....kept going? He was always winning the fight......

Khabib.....he juts got beaten down, manhandles on the ground and submitted.

Of course he has heart and guts, I just don't see him as being able to sustain any real fight at any real pace, where he is under pressure and being bossed...

Huge difference between having a tough fight where you are always that bit stronger and landing more vs you being hit more and being bossed more.....huge in terms of the physical toll and the mental toll of knowing that your opponent is always coming out on top and is always that bit stronger

Advertisement