Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Imagine burning books because you don't like something the author said...

I have a slight confession to make, I burnt a book once, it was Peig Sayers book, after I did the Irish Leaving Cert, but I think it was justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You're forgiven, I believe I did something similar with To Kill A Mockingbird. People rave about how good it is, I have nothing but bad memories of being forced to read it and discuss it. At 16. Like I cared!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I have a slight confession to make, I burnt a book once, it was Peig Sayers book, after I did the Irish Leaving Cert, but I think it was justified.

It's worse if you do it while wearing a snazzy uniform.

• Advertisement

You mean the ones that carry a corrupted version of a Hindu symbol of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In theory, but you know that quotas will be demanded.

Bye bye quality sport.

I think it will work perfectly well, there are so many options available to make it fair and show that sexist biology who is in charge now.
    You can have the men carry weights, like horses?
    Perhaps the ladies can start the 100M a little closer to the end?

Although for true equality we should apply the handicaps at the end, to give everyone the same results, everyone gets a gold star, hurray! *hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cannot find account now, maybe deleted/troll.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

biko wrote: »
    Cannot find account now, maybe deleted/troll.

image.jpg

That has to be a parody

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No - the uniform is also on the fire. Even if it means standing around in your underpants.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    That has to be a parody

I'm gonna quess so. Biko appears to have been onioned.
    https://ifunny.co/picture/zayden-brantley-zaydenbr-if-the-parents-of-my-grade-students-5oyJHfNx7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

If it identifies as light-hearted it is.

A statement from 1800_LadLadLad
    Over the past 24 hours, I have come to better understand the pain caused by my privilege. I have offended not only a lot of people here on boards I don’t know but also those closest to me in spirit, including my work colleagues and for that, I am truly, madly, deeply sorry. As a result of my actions, I am taking time away from life to examine my blind spots and work on my privilege.

Please know that I realize how my actions have the potential to be viewed as approvals of hateful, divisive behavior un-lighthearted behavior. I apologize, as this was not at all my intention. I simply intended to only protect and save those who find this thread too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Had a quick gawk at her profile, says she is an ecosexual, that's a new one :pac:

Rothko wrote: »
    That has to be a parody
    I hope so

Had a quick gawk at her profile, says she is an ecosexual, that's a new one :pac:
    Extreme tree hugger, preferably ones that have ribbed trunks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh deary me, our woke overlords aren't happy.
    It was misogynistic': Government leaders hit out at cartoon depicting Mary Lou McDonald as a witch
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mary-lou-mcdonald-witch-cartoon-government-leaders-criticse-5389670-Mar2021/
    THE HEADS OF the three Government parties have jointly condemned a cartoon that appeared in a newspaper depicting opposition leader Mary Lou McDonald as a witch.

The cartoon, which featured in the Sunday Independent two days ago, appeared beside a column accusing the Sinn Féin leader of engaging in a “witch hunt” over the garda investigation into the Tánaiste’s leaking of a draft government agreement with GPs.

It branded “deeply sexist” by the National Womens’ Council of Ireland (NCWI) yesterday and was also criticised by a number of politicians following its publication.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin indicated that the drawing sent out the wrong message to women who worked in or wanted to enter politics, saying he did not agree with the depiction of McDonald.

I don’t approve of that kind of characterisation of women in politics,” he said.

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar echoed the Fianna Fáil leader’s remarks, and described the cartoon as “sexist” and “wrong”.

I think it was misogynistic, and I was surprised that it got published quite frankly,” he said.

“It’s not the first time that a female politician has been characterised as a witch and I hope it’s going to be the last, given the controversy around it. That’s just not the way things should be in politics.”

Green Party leader Eamon Ryan noted that the cartoon was “deeply disrespectful and hurtful” and called for greater respect for women in politics.

“I think the current climate dissuades a lot of people, particularly a lot of women, from going into politics. It has to change,” he said.

Martin, Varadkar and Ryan could really do with growing a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So all political satire cartoons of all politicians and indeed all prominent people, that depict that person in a negative way, or mock or jest their features are henceforth to be criticised by all? Or what do we do?

Will MLMD now ask her followers to stop calling Micheal Martin #Mehole on Twitter?
    Will the funnies section of The Phoenix be retired?
    What's the next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I had no issue with the cartoon per se, it just looked like government sponsored propaganda to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

KevRossi wrote: »
    So all political satire cartoons of all politicians and indeed all prominent people, that depict that person in a negative way, or mock or jest their features are henceforth to be criticised by all? Or what do we do?

Will MLMD now ask her followers to stop calling Micheal Martin #Mehole on Twitter?
    Will the funnies section of The Phoenix be retired?
    What's the next step?

White males are still fair game

Just as well Mary Lou isn't the prophet Mohammed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

*Whyte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Next Mary Lou cartoon, should be of her sitting topless on a horse.
    #strongwomanofireland

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Omackeral wrote: »
    *Whyte

I think it is "Yt" now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Utterly ridiculous. We've had a long history of political satire through the centuries, under which cartoonists have lampooned politicians from Napoleon and Hitler to Thatcher and Trump. But now we have the heads of three government parties demanding that the media refrain from publishing any negative satirical depiction of a female politician?

This is censorship, pure and simple. Government leaders should not be attacking political cartoonists.

Politicians are public figures, elected and paid by the people, and they must also accept criticism from the people. Satire is an accepted part of that. Our culture would have been all the poorer for the absence of Spitting Image or Scrap Saturday.

I also don't accept that witches are misogynistic or sexist. We have numerous depictions of witches in popular culture, from The Witches of Eastwick to Sabrina the Teenage Witch to Harry Potter, where witchcraft is depicted as a source of female empowerment and confidence. Thousands of women dress up as witches for Halloween, embracing the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"British" - not racist
    "South African" - not racist
    "Brazilian" - not racist
    "Chinese" - very racist

https://twitter.com/MorningEdition/status/1374414061174018061?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"The British mutation has become dominant," Merkel said.

Ugh, enough about Brexit, what about the Corona virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

"We are now basically in a new pandemic. The British mutation has become dominant," Merkel said.
    https://twitter.com/MorningEdition/status/1374414061174018061?s=20

The sequels are never as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

"British" - not racist
    "South African" - not racist
    "Brazilian" - not racist
    "Chinese" - very racist
    First three are random mutations not related to people. Not racist.
    The fourth one implies that the virus jumping from bats/pangolins to humans is somehow related to their culture which include farming and eating those animals. We definitely can't say that even if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cordell wrote: »
    First three are random mutations not related to people. Not racist.
    The fourth one implies that the virus jumping from bats/pangolins to humans is somehow related to their culture which include farming and eating those animals. We definitely can't say that even if it's true.

"Spanish flu" racist to Spaniards? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, because it did not originate in Spain...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement