Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

• 24-03-2021 11:02pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Level 5 remains in place - but what will April 5th bring?

Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII
    Part VIII
    Part IX

All warnings and threadbans carry over. Please PM the mod issuing a threadban if you wish to discuss options for being allowed to post again

Mod warnings
    Beasty wrote: »
    It looks like tensions in this thread have been rising

Some general warnings to all:

Remain civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it's the polar opposite of your own does not invalidate it. Anyone who is uncivil towards other users can expect a minimum of a threadban.

Keep to the topic

Do not present "opinion" as "fact"

Do not believe all stats that are spouted. Usually figures presented in any official way are not only checked for inaccuracies, but will also have caveats and/or explanations of what was done to derive any conclusions reached. Stats though are not "facts" beyond the sample they represent. They can be used to draw conclusions over wider populations, but those conclusions are always subject to a margin of error

If you throw up an example please explain what point you are making. For example "Look at Sweden" means nothing unless you say what you are looking at in connection with Sweden. Is it restrictions, is it deaths, is it infections?

Hinting or implying that other users are re-regs is against the charter. It is strongly advised that you report posts and let the mods deal with it.

Threadbans will follow if people cannot follow this simple instruction.

Beasty wrote: »
    Another reminder - this thread is about restrictions and their relaxation

General Covid discussion belongs in the current Covid thread (#XVII)

Political discussion belongs in Current Affairs or Politics
    Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Mod actions can be discussed via PM if you like.

On thread is not permitted.

I will note what I said in the other thread this evening though:

Calling people names such as Dr. Death or Saint Tony etc. only weaken your argument, it's the lowest form of wit.

Keep it civil and on topic and you can discuss the restrictions or your opposition to them as much as you like

Stop bringing the cervical cancer discussion into this thread, if you want to discuss it, start a thread on it elsewhere on the site.

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

I'm not going to post another warning on this - stop bringing up the cervical cancer issues in this thread.

It's in the OP not to discuss the issue, if you want to discuss it, go to another forum and start a thread on it, it is not Covid related.

Threadbans will follow if people cannot follow this instruction

Threadbans:
    housemouse
    Cupatae
    CtevenSrowder
    Unelected CMO
    Risteard81
    trapp
    RugbyLad11
    Jimmy Garlic
    Jinglejangle69
    easypazz
    snowcat
    ziggyman17
    ShineOn7
    JoeExotic81
    The_Dazzler - lifted 16/03/21
    lawrencesummers
    LiquidZeb
    gral6
    John O.Groats
    Plumbthedepths
    nofools
    MelbourneMan
    bucketybuck
    road_high
    Banana Republic 1
    manniot2
    Caraibh
    BryanMartin21
    MadYaker
    Coybig_
    Paddygreen
    Rrrrrr2
    drunkmonkey
    sweetmaggie
    HBC08
    patnor1011
    rusty cole
    zerosugarbuzz
    bettyoleary
    TheCitizen
    Ginger n Lemon
    risteard7
    sabat
    GazzaL
    Mr. Karate
    Kunta Kinte
    Cork2021
    RonaVirus
    BigAndy21
    Silentcorner for 24hrs on 21/2/21
    Donald Trump
    gozunda for 24hrs on 21/2/21
    RobitTv for 24 hrs on 21/2/21
    ypre5 - lifted 2/3/21
    jacdaniel2014
    MEGA BRO WOLF 5000
    pjohnson - lifted 9/3/21
    2ndcoming
    Lundstram
    eskimohunt - lifted 4/3/21
    Kermit.de.frog
    Hector Savage
    BlaktainPicard
    LameBeaver
    rovers_runner
    DerekC16
    TonyMaloney
    LameBeaver
    raind - lifted 28/4/21
    Idbatterim
    PowerToWait
    ypre5
    Parachutes - lifted 4/5/21

Are you fed up with rerstrictions 37 votes

Yes
    59% 22 votes
    No
    40% 15 votes
    Done care, ive been ignoring them anyway
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

A genuine question folks! When do we think retail will reopen fully? My guess is end of June (trying to not be pessimistic but realistic and hoping to be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do they serve pints in this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

New thread, same lockdown, part X.

Message of hope: Open the pubs.

Just when you bother type out a long response it gets lost at the end of an old thread, so I will repeat
    Ah ok pedestrian road safety is the basis of your argument.

The reason of course for the caution displayed by the pedestrians, is because the drivers in that country are some of the most aggressive on the planet, and jaywalking will not end well for the pedestrian.

Of course the Irish government got the right to protest suspended while the media implied anyone who participated was a far right, anti vaccine nuttjob.

Now ironically, your suggesting that because the Irish aren’t protesting they are wrong.

Yes, I see it needs to be spelled out.

I agree with the right to protest.
    I disagree with the motives of those who chose to protest here.
    I agree some restrictions such as click and collect, 5km and construction are overly conservative, but also agree with the general aims of the restrictions.
    I understand that restrictions are not a shopping list of items where everything restricted is automatically riskier than everything not, but a suite of actions intended to reduce transmission by the required amount while allowing activities deemed essential to continue. It’s why Tesco open, penny’s closed doesn’t make sense from an epidemiological point of view, but does from the essential nature of one versus the other. The authorities, rightly or wrong have judged that in the knowledge that there will be a level of non compliance, the current restrictions are what is required to achieve the epidemiological outcome. The reason some countries choose different sets of measures is down to their individual assessment of what is required in the knowledge of how their people behave. And that was my point re the Germans. They are not legislating on the basis of the few thousand or even tens of thousands of lockdown protestors, but on the knowledge that among the bulk of the population compliance will be extremely high. In Ireland people, most people I would bet, never get involved in wide scale protest, but do give themselves the small “personal” allowances- sure it’s ok for me to visit Johnny and Mary, its ok for my kids to go on a play date, it’s ok for me go to that house party etc, as it’s always someone else’s fault. That in essence is why the Irish authorities have gone stricter.

What gets me on this thread is not the fact that people question the level of restrictions. In some cases I agree with a few of the points. It’s the bizarre nonsense that is peddled about the motivations of those making decisions. For me, they are trying their best, you can argue that their best is rubbish. In fact both the most ardent proponents of restrictions and the harshest critics would argue that very point for the exact opposite reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Pity i cant do a reddit post here to remind me in 2022 if lockdown is over yet.

Come July it'll be "just two more weeks", in Sepember it will be "just two more weeks"

They can decide what they want im out and will do what i want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

A genuine question folks! When do we think retail will reopen fully? My guess is end of June (trying to not be pessimistic but realistic and hoping to be wrong)

Really should be May as planned. They'll face mounting pressure the longer this ****e goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

11521323 wrote: »
    Really should be May as planned. They'll face mounting pressure the longer this ****e goes on.

Planned by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Any dates or vaccine targets yet from the Taoiseach so we can have a plan for removing restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Any dates or vaccine targets yet from the Taoiseach so we can have a plan for removing restrictions?

They plan on having the vulnerable inoculated for Winter 2022 by early Spring 2023.

There will be certain relaxation at that point depending on case numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Lol

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote:
    All fascists lad, all one million of them

It was you that brought up facists when I was talking about revolutionaries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Virgin Media News - 1st July 2023

"Yes Colette, we have just received today's NPHET briefing and we can confirm that Level 4 is now officially on the table according to the Dr. Ronan Glynn. The Lisdoonvarna variant now seems to be under control and we can see a return to Level 4 restrictions if cases remain low"

"The easing of the restrictions on masks and international travel will be reviewed in July of 2027"

"Unemployment now stands at a record low of 25% as the economy continues to boom"

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

RobitTV wrote: »
    Virgin Media News - 1st July 2023

"Yes Colette, we have just received today's NPHET briefing and we can confirm that Level 4 is now officially on the table according to the Dr. Ronan Glynn. The Lisdoonvarna variant now seems to be under control and we can see a return to Level 4 restrictions if cases remain low"

"The easing of the restrictions on masks and international travel will be reviewed in July of 2027"

"Unemployment now stands at a record low of 25% as the economy continues to boom"

Employment now stands at a record high of 25% as the economy continues to boom.

Fixed it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will the 5k last for the whole year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Who cares about the economy sure money grows on trees

Dr. Bre wrote: »

1616613631676.png

Im dubious if the utter superspreaders right now can even walk 5km, maybe if we restrict phone chargers this will all go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I've been ignoring the 5k rule since January so I can go out and enjoy nature by going to the beach/woods etc. Many others have as well as the number of people I've met on my travels has been increasing every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Who cares about the economy sure money grows on trees

Yeah, on the trees grown from the hard work of the workforce of Ireland for the next 10+ years.

People state "schools are not safe" because of a virus with a 0.001% CFR in the age group, but have sent their kids to school during flu season every preceding year without a blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

It was you that brought up facists when I was talking about revolutionaries

So the one million people in total who took part in the protests across germany were all fascists? can i have something official on that as you might understand im not going to blindly take your word for it.

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »
    So the one million people in total who took part in the protests across germany were all fascists? can i have something official on that as you might understand im not going to blindly take your word for it.

I literally never mentioned fascists, right wingers or ascribed any ideology to German protesters. That you somehow think I did is a pure figment of your imagination

I literally never mentioned fascists, right wingers or ascribed any ideology to German protesters. That you somehow think I did is a pure figment of your imagination

Remind us how you described Irish protestors?

Christ.

You will notice I referenced revolutionaries not fascists. And then the petty slur.

You started the revolutionaries and fascists guff not me. I just linked articles about protesters in germany while you were getting starry eyed about how perfect German people are. Actually could you elaborate on the slur you alleged I used? If not could you please retract your false accusation?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/tipperary-school-closed-after-hse-flagged-possible-variant-of-concern-1101200.html
    Is there any connection between this phenomenon and the presence of cases in the same town (Carrick on Suir) in a direct provision centre or is it sheer coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If not could you please retract your false accusation?

You want to retract your false accusation against me for allegedly being hellbent on downplaying or knocking the UK vaccination program?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Remind us how you described Irish protestors?

Yep, here you go
    raind wrote:
    The opposition to restrictions in this country are populists parroting easy answers to complex issues as populists do and are both right and left

Labelled them all fascists as you can see.

But even if I had, which I didn’t, I did not comment on the political positions of German protesters as claimed, and which I haven’t looked into enough to form a view on motivations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Was posted in the last thread but Leo said even with elderly and vulnerable vaccinated we'd have 35 people needing hospitalisation for every 1000 cases which would be unsustainable. So that's 3.5% of cases.

First of all how bad is our health service that 35 hospitalisations a day is unsustainable? Where did he pull this figure from? How old is elderly in his statement and what constitutes vulnerable? Is he basing on having the over 65, very high risk and high risk vaccine groupings vaccinated? Whatever metric he is using is lies anyway.

Less than 5% of total cases in last 14 days were hospitalised. When you exclude cases and hospitalisations in over 65, 2.7% of cases were hospitalised. So thats just the over 65s took out through vaccination but not the vulnerable. It's very hard to measure the effect vaccination of under 65s at very high or high risk would be as I don't think the cases are broken down this way but I think it's fair to assume a good chunk of under 65s hospitalised would be classified in one of these categories.

Before someone says it, I know people vaccinated can still end up in hospital but it should be as a very low percentage of cases.

I hope someone questions him on where he pulled that figure from but I doubt it.

Yep, here you go

Labelled them all fascists as you can see.

But even if I had, which I didn’t, I did not comment on the political positions of German protesters as claimed, and which I haven’t looked into enough to form a view on motivations

Christ.

You will notice I referenced revolutionaries not fascists. And then the petty slur.

You posted this in response to articles about protesters in germany. If you're going to backtrack at least try and be subtle about it again still waiting on that slur

Penfailed wrote: »
    You want to retract your false accusation against me for allegedly being hellbent on downplaying or knocking the UK vaccination program?

No because I provided quotes so I consider my accusations very valid

• Advertisement

Christ.

You started the revolutionaries and fascists guff not me. I just linked articles about protesters in germany while you were getting starry eyed about how perfect German people are. Actually could you elaborate on the slur you alleged I used? If not could you please retract your false accusation?

Revolutionaries not fascists if you reread.

And was more an infantile insult than slur I suppose, which also kick started the tedious back and forth with the master race comment
    Ypres5 wrote:
    If the german master race narrative helps you sleep at night then keep smoking that copium

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement