Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I'm a little curious as to why the park is still open?

The playground was thronged with both adults and children yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Waterford is persistently high in the numbers. Any idea where these are coming from or just spread around the county?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Very little other outdoor recreation space within 5km of town and the checkpoints are very sparse. Close it and watch the exodus every weekend multiply.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Very little other outdoor recreation space within 5km of town and the checkpoints are very sparse. Close it and watch the exodus every weekend multiply.

To be fair I don't think that that's the way to look at it!

Clearly near enough to one hundred people gathering in a confined area!

I appreciate the need to get out but we need to keep safe also!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Slide1.jpg

Last nights hse op report
    813 in total -36
    151 in icu -4
    4 Deaths

40 cases in wrh -10
    4 new cases
    5 in icu no change

3 icu beds available in icu

0 beds in CUH, Mercy and South Tipp. 2 Beds in Wexford. 1 Bed in Kilkenny

• Advertisement

Last Nights HSE Report

765 Total Hospital Cases -48
    151 ICU No Change
    7 Deaths

WRH
    43 Cases +3
    1 New Case
    ICU 5 No Change

WRH
    4 ICU beds available
    0 ICU beds available in South Tipp and Mercy. 1 ICU bed available in Kilkenny and Wexford. 2 ICU beds available in CUH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

Can't believe these type of comments... Take away what little safe recreation people have!

It's open because people need to get outside to walk for physical and mental health reasons.

Helping people to remain healthy and fit with a strong immune system is essential.

Outside, the risk of picking up Covid is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

BTownB wrote: »
    Can't believe these type of comments... Take away what little safe recreation people have!

It's open because people need to get outside to walk for physical and mental health reasons.

Helping people to remain healthy and fit with a strong immune system is essential.

I'll think of your qualification to say that when I see me deceased mother off into the ringaskiddy oven.

Taken from patient.info a reputable website:

A study of 318 COVID-19 outbreak clusters -
    "They discovered that of more than 1,200 contacts that were shown to have been infected, only one was outside and they admitted to being close together for over 15 minutes," says Professor Keith Neal, Emeritus Professor of the Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases at the University of Nottingham.""

One person out of 1,200 people so yes, minimal. Stay 2m away from people not in your bubble, and outdoors is safe. In fact, its advisable for health, both physical and mental, reasons.

We're talking about reopening schools today so talking about closing parks is complete nonsense.

Slide1.jpg

• Advertisement

Latest LEA

15-02-2021.jpg

Todays HSE report

In total
    752 -13
    148 in ICU -3
    2 Deaths

In WRH
    40 -3
    3 new cases
    ICU 3 -2
    5 ICU Beds available in ICU

0 ICU beds available in Wexford, South Tipp, Mercy and Kilkenny
    3 ICU beds available in CUH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Leave the park open It's probably the only place people can go for a breather right now. We're going to have severe restrictions until the next 9 weeks according to MM. People need to go out and actually breathe, see the flowers, it's coming into spring now. Getting fresh air is VERY important.

Leave the park open It's probably the only place people can go for a breather right now. We're going to have severe restrictions until the next 9 weeks according to MM. People need to go out and actually breathe, see the flowers, it's coming into spring now. Getting fresh air is VERY important.

But not when it's just another excuse to "bend" the lockdown rules, a load of women gossiping whispering in one anothers ears !!! The reason for the what you call severe restrictions is because the restrictions and doing what is necessary to stop the spread open to way too much (convenient) interpretation. The air is as fresh out in the back.

Yesterday I hear of a relation of mine, 46 and healthy in the UK and they get part 1 on the vaccine Friday the 26th !!! With Ireland so far behind you can't be weak on restrictions because way too many more people will be dead before the vaccine has an effect......

Thank you for a very sensible comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭AUDI20

BTownB wrote: »

100% Agree, some think everyone should stay locked up in their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AUDI20 wrote: »
    100% Agree, some think everyone should stay locked up in their homes.

break the rules if you need to, i have been from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

91wx763 wrote: »
    But not when it's just another excuse to "bend" the lockdown rules, a load of women gossiping whispering in one anothers ears !!! The reason for the what you call severe restrictions is because the restrictions and doing what is necessary to stop the spread open to way too much (convenient) interpretation. The air is as fresh out in the back.

Yesterday I hear of a relation of mine, 46 and healthy in the UK and they get part 1 on the vaccine Friday the 26th !!! With Ireland so far behind you can't be weak on restrictions because way too many more people will be dead before the vaccine has an effect......

You know not everyone has a garden right? sure if you live in an apartment just stick your head out the window, its all the same, isn't it?

Slide1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

A relative of mine died yesterday. He contracted Covid quite a while ago and was recovering okay up to 2 weeks ago, when he started having heart complications (a common issue in Covid patients). He was admitted and on Tuesday, his family had to make the decision about whether to have him ventilated and admitted to the ICU or to let him go. They decided to let him go.

He and his wife were married for 70 years. They have 5 children, each of them have partners and children, some of their children have children and then, there's the wider family, cousins etc and all of his friends and neighbours etc. He was massively involved in 2 of his local GAA clubs, always front and centre with fundraising activities and a founder member of his local credit union.
    He has left behind a huge hole in so many lives.

He is currently reposing in a funeral home approx 40km away from his family because funeral homes are so overloaded at the moment.

I cannot possibly put a number on the amount of people who would want to be at his funeral to bid him farewell and to support his family, especially his wife of over 70 years, who is quite fragile. They were like salt and pepper, always came as a package deal. They never got to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in the way they usually did (with a huge party) because of Covid and now, they'll never get to celebrate their 71st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

A relative of mine died yesterday. He contracted Covid quite a while ago and was recovering okay up to 2 weeks ago, when he started having heart complications (a common issue in Covid patients). He was admitted and on Tuesday, his family had to make the decision about whether to have him ventilated and admitted to the ICU or to let him go. They decided to let him go.

He and his wife were married for 70 years. They have 5 children, each of them have partners and children, some of their children have children and then, there's the wider family, cousins etc and all of his friends and neighbours etc. He was massively involved in 2 of his local GAA clubs, always front and centre with fundraising activities and a founder member of his local credit union.

He is currently reposing in a funeral home approx 40km away from his family because funeral homes are so overloaded at the moment.

I cannot possibly put a number on the amount of people who would want to be at his funeral to bid him farewell and to support his family, especially his wife of over 70 years, who is quite fragile. They were like salt and pepper, always came as a package deal. They never got to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in the way they usually did (with a huge party) because of Covid and now, they'll never get to celebrate their 71st.

I sympathize with your loss and As sad as it is I think the ‘rams grange’ funeral and subsequent fall out should be enough to make people realize the risks that a ‘traditional funeral’ pose.....it’s unfortunate but the best and sensible thing to do is for you and extended family and friend abide by the guidelines and pay your respects as best you can via online means etc...

• Advertisement

Sorry for your loss. It angers me so much when people dismiss the deaths as elderly or underlying issues because they don't want to or can't see the many people's lives are so intertwined with many others. Hard enough loosing them but it's just as hard not being able to say goodbye that people are so used to.
    Once things settle down and people can gather hopefully many will be able too get together and say goodbye in a memorial service or such.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss. It angers me so much when people dismiss the deaths as elderly or underlying issues because they don't want to or can't see the many people's lives are so intertwined with many others. Hard enough loosing them but it's just as hard not being able to say goodbye that people are so used to.
    Once things settle down and people can gather hopefully many will be able too get together and say goodbye in a memorial service or such.

I won't go into my personal circumstances but I've had a bereavement but there was no covid infection. It was the isolation due to the covid lockdown that saw them off. They weren't alone at the end which we are so thankful for.

But shur open up everything so there can be coffee and cake for the girls while the kids are minded by the teachers. Like you said they're only old people dying, they'll probably snuff it anyway. Disgusting really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I won't go into my personal circumstances but I've had a bereavement but there was no covid infection. It was the isolation due to the covid lockdown that saw them off. They weren't alone at the end which we are so thankful for.

But shur open up everything so there can be coffee and cake for the girls while the kids are minded by the teachers. Like you said they're only old people dying, they'll probably snuff it anyway. Disgusting really.

Do you have a problem with women? Tired cliches :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

spookwoman wrote: »

Why does very elderly dying anger you? Do you think we’ll live forever? The couple referenced were married for 70 years? Which means they must be at least 90- a fantastic age by any reckoning. I think people badly need to get a grip here. Going forward do you want no deaths? Or is it only Covid ones that “matter” to you?
    My grandparents lived mid 70s to early 80s. We’d have loved to have them around for longer but we accepted death was part of the natural cycle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Roanmore wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with women? Tired cliches :rolleyes:

These people tend to dismiss any aspect of living “they” don’t regard as necessary as reckless granny killing frivolity now. Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

road_high wrote: »
    Why does very elderly dying anger you? Do you think we’ll live forever? The couple referenced were married for 70 years? Which means they must be at least 90- a fantastic age by any reckoning. I think people badly need to get a grip here. Going forward do you want no deaths? Or is it only Covid ones that “matter” to you?
    My grandparents lived mid 70s to early 80s. We’d have loved to have them around for longer but we accepted death was part of the natural cycle of life.

Would have to concur with a lot of what you say, covid may have brought forward the deaths of some of those over 90 and it’s never a pleasant experience for anyone but it’s far sadder for those for example loosing under 50’s and in some cases younger leaving behind children and widows....at 90 plus I thinks it’s fairw to say one has done the ‘majority of their living’..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

park walks being talked about on rte radio 1, recommendation not to do so if theres many around

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is it just me or is there a huge increase in the amount of people out and about over the last few days. I would normally head to Tesco Ardkeen on a Thursday or a Friday morning for weekly shop, I didn’t get there till yesterday afternoon this week and I was honestly shocked by how busy the place was. There were families of 2 adults and a few kids going around together, groups of teenagers with no where else to go and just to be in out of the rain. People stopping and chatting to one another in the aisles. I actually saw two lads giving each other a man hug also.

It was obvious to me that there were way to many in the store, I said it to the security guy and his response was well unless we see people going in when the stop sign is up, we can’t do nothing about it. That’s not good enough really.

Then today I was out in the butchers in lisduggan shopping centre as I do every Saturday afternoon and the shopping centre was much much busier than normal. What stood out to me what I saw a group of 4 people, not teenagers either, drink coffee and leaning up against that sweet/bubblegum area having the chats, and all 4 of them had their masks down under their chins too.

I get that people are really getting frustrated and everyone is just trying to get out for a break, it really is hard for some people, but I honestly don’t think full families should be going shopping together or in to have a stroll around dealz or Mr Price. We have done well here in Waterford from where the numbers were, but they are still higher that what we probably should be at. We can’t about to start going backwards again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can't go by yesterday it was pissing it down all day probably the reason you didn't get there till the afternoon. Again today this morning's weather was dreadful. Then when they have been stuck in all day parents tend to take the kids with them when they go shopping.

If you don't want to see anyone go out when its blowing a gale and pissing it down.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there a huge increase in the amount of people out and about over the last few days. I would normally head to Tesco Ardkeen on a Thursday or a Friday morning for weekly shop, I didn’t get there till yesterday afternoon this week and I was honestly shocked by how busy the place was. There were families of 2 adults and a few kids going around together, groups of teenagers with no where else to go and just to be in out of the rain. People stopping and chatting to one another in the aisles. I actually saw two lads giving each other a man hug also.

It was obvious to me that there were way to many in the store, I said it to the security guy and his response was well unless we see people going in when the stop sign is up, we can’t do nothing about it. That’s not good enough really.

Then today I was out in the butchers in lisduggan shopping centre as I do every Saturday afternoon and the shopping centre was much much busier than normal. What stood out to me what I saw a group of 4 people, not teenagers either, drink coffee and leaning up against that sweet/bubblegum area having the chats, and all 4 of them had their masks down under their chins too.

I get that people are really getting frustrated and everyone is just trying to get out for a break, it really is hard for some people, but I honestly don’t think full families should be going shopping together or in to have a stroll around dealz or Mr Price. We have done well here in Waterford from where the numbers were, but they are still higher that what we probably should be at. We can’t about to start going backwards again.

Rightly or wrongly, people have enough of following all these rules. There is only so long you can expect people to comply with very serious and impacting restrictions like not socialising, not leaving your county and not meeting elderly parents or friends. Especially with the news that hospitality may not open until July or August.

People have absolutely nothing to look forward to and for some, being in the house all day exacerbates an unhappy marriage or domestic violence or plain old contempt from seeing the same faces day in day out. People are fed up and emotionally drained. There is no carrot, only a stick of restrictions,restrictions and more restrictions. I personally think the nation is about to hit maximum patience and after that, complacency will really set in.

Advertisement