Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Et4lo0dXIAERQ8Q?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Yesterdays 29 was 27

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't see the big deal with it tbh, supermacs in town never closed for walk ins along with many other takeaways

Your going in putting in your order and out again. Obv some people are stupid enough to ignore it and want to dine in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

So the one business who voluntarily restricted services and acted far more responsibly than any of their competitors are now being criticised :confused:

• Advertisement

HSE Operations report

In Hospital 71 +8
    In ICU 7 No Change

1 ICU Bed available
    No ICU beds available in CUH, Mercy Cork, South Tipp, Kilkenny or Wexford.

Overall hospital cases down to 990-22
    ICU Cases down to 167 -8
    ICU Deaths 9

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spookwoman wrote:
    1 ICU Bed available No ICU beds available in CUH, Mercy Cork, South Tipp, Kilkenny or Wexford.

Jesus, that's very concerning

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Taoiseach has said that the current restrictions are gonna prevail until at least Easter, which is the 4th April. So we have another couple of months at least ahead of us. Looks like the 5km limit will be retained also. Obviously holidays abroad are off the menu but now I am wondering when we could leave just the county bounds? Everyone in Ireland is gonna want some time away but it's gonna be a free for all for the Summer months. Hopefully there will be enough people vaccinated by then to prevent another surge. Seems that having their fingers burned by the Christmas opening the Government is gonna proceed with extreme caution until the vast majority of us have been vaccinated. A source at the FF party meeting has said "we are in a phase of indefinite lockdown. The restrictions will continue right into April and possibly to the beginning of May. There will be zero wriggle room for anyone looking for relaxing of restrictions".

Taoiseach has said that the current restrictions are gonna prevail until at least Easter, which is the 4th April. So we have another couple of months at least ahead of us. Looks like the 5km limit will be retained also. Obviously holidays abroad are off the menu but now I am wondering when we could leave just the county bounds? Everyone in Ireland is gonna want some time away but it's gonna be a free for all for the Summer months. Hopefully there will be enough people vaccinated by then to prevent another surge. Seems that having their fingers burned by the Christmas opening the Government is gonna proceed with extreme caution until the vast majority of us have been vaccinated. A source at the FF party meeting has said "we are in a phase of indefinite lockdown. The restrictions will continue right into April and possibly to the beginning of May. There will be zero wriggle room for anyone looking for relaxing of restrictions".

we ll probably also have to prove we got the vaccine, before we re allowed near an airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

What's the difference between them doing take away and all the other fast food outlets in town doing take away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Big fences have to be jumped squarely, sneaking through gates instead will get you through but is cheating.

It's about time decisions were made and were stuck to.

Was this mentioned?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40204658.html

Three men were arrested on Sunday afternoon for breaching Covid guidelines while “broadcasting Mass” outside the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity in Waterford City.

Gardaí were patrolling the area of Barronstrand Street when they observed a vehicle parked a distance away from four males standing together outside the church.

According to gardaí, it was believed that the men had travelled over 5km without a reasonable excuse.

They had in their possession two amplifiers and appeared to be broadcasting Mass.

Gardaí approached the men and attempted to explain that they were in breach of the Covid-19 guidelines.

One of the men complied with gardaí and gave his details. He was warned and given a direction.

However, three other men present refused to provide their names and addresses despite the information being formally demanded of them.

Todays Briefing 26

Yesterdays briefing of 22 was confirmed as 22

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

It's from the 11th January. Fruit loops.

HSE Operations report

In Hospital 48 -23
    In ICU 6 -1
    New cases 2

1 Bed available in ICU
    0 Beds available in ICU in CUH, Mercy, South Tipp, Kilkenny and Wexford.

Yesterdays briefing 26 - 26 Confirmed
    Todays briefing 15

Latest LEA
    12-02-2021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

According to the earlier tables Cork has roughly half the National Covid rate which, thankfully, is a fraction of what it was two or three weeks ago. Yet neither CUH or the Mercy has a single ICU bed?

Really?? Whatever comes out of Covid the HSE needs to be dismantled and started from scratch. I don’t believe a single figure they produce. For a public organization burning a half a billion euro a week, that is simply unacceptable.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    According to the earlier tables Cork has roughly half the National Covid rate which, thankfully, is a fraction of what it was two or three weeks ago. Yet neither CUH or the Mercy has a single ICU bed?

Really?? Whatever comes out of Covid the HSE needs to be dismantled and started from scratch. I don’t believe a single figure they produce. For a public organization burning a half a billion euro a week, that is simply unacceptable.

CUH has been having issues with icu beds for while, they went up to 19 icu cases and now down to 13. Remember they deal with most of the south's cardiac care etc.

Cork University Hospital is currently operating with 20 ICU beds, with provision to add a further 16 ICU beds if there is a surge in demand

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1015/1171840-cork-hospital-icu/

Deise Vu wrote:

Dismantling it completely would probably introduce more problems, what's rarely spoken about is the extractive element of the private sector involvement in the system, but there's no question of the inefficiencies of the public element. Most countries are struggling with running health care systems, it's just extremely complex, we 're living longer, our physical and psychological needs are becoming ever more complex, leading to a dramatic increase in costs in order to fulfil these needs. The reality is, significantly more money is actually needed to run the system we actually need, but since we 're stuck in an era of fiscal conservatism, that's simply becoming impossible now

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

spookwoman wrote: »
    CUH has been having issues with icu beds for while, they went up to 19 icu cases and now down to 13. Remember they deal with most of the south's cardiac care etc.

Cork University Hospital is currently operating with 20 ICU beds, with provision to add a further 16 ICU beds if there is a surge in demand

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1015/1171840-cork-hospital-icu/

i would not underestimate the pressure that staff or hospitals anywhere are under or the impact of Covid on patients, but given the huge surge in Covid locally in past six weeks and the pressure on UHW we should at least bear the difference in resources allocated to CUH versus UHW in mind. 800 beds versus 545. but CUH has at least 4.5 staff for every 3 that UHW has and think about this in context of Covid numbers in UHW being amongst the highest in the country at one stage and local mortuary surge capacity had to be brought on stream to deal with body count. .

The figures that emerged during the mortuary controversy in 2019 showed that 4 pathologists in UHW did 60 post mortems in 2018. CUH did 800 with 20 pathologists are very informative. I saw very little sign of national media outside UHW over the past eight weeks and indeed mention of it in national Covid briefings on RTE were scarce. I think UHW and its staff have performed miracles under extreme pressure and I am sure that you and the rest of contributors on this forum will agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Do the new quarantine rules apply to the USA as well or can passengers from there fly in to Ireland and go where they want? I have heard a lot about our European neighbours but nothing on USA. You dont want a repeat of last summer when thousands of tourists from pandemic-,ravaged states descended on to the cafes, pubs and tourist spots in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Do the new quarantine rules apply to the USA as well or can passengers from there fly in to Ireland and go where they want? I have heard a lot about our European neighbours but nothing on USA. You dont want a repeat of last summer when thousands of tourists from pandemic-,ravaged states descended on to the cafes, pubs and tourist spots in Ireland.

i think its all incoming traffic, could be wrong though, people also have to pay for their own quarantine also, cant see many people from here heading off now, new fines are a bit too much

azimuth17 wrote: »
    i would not underestimate the pressure that staff or hospitals anywhere are under or the impact of Covid on patients, but given the huge surge in Covid locally in past six weeks and the pressure on UHW we should at least bear the difference in resources allocated to CUH versus UHW in mind. 800 beds versus 545. but CUH has at least 4.5 staff for every 3 that UHW has and think about this in context of Covid numbers in UHW being amongst the highest in the country at one stage and local mortuary surge capacity had to be brought on stream to deal with body count. .

The figures that emerged during the mortuary controversy in 2019 showed that 4 pathologists in UHW did 60 post mortems in 2018. CUH did 800 with 20 pathologists are very informative. I saw very little sign of national media outside UHW over the past eight weeks and indeed mention of it in national Covid briefings on RTE were scarce. I think UHW and its staff have performed miracles under extreme pressure and I am sure that you and the rest of contributors on this forum will agree.

Serious problems in waterford ref staff beds etc. F*ck you know it's bad when they have to get extra space for the morgue.

Yesterdays hse report

45 -3
    still 6 in icu

6 new cases

37 reported in todays briefing.

Slide1.jpg

HSE OP Report last night

48 +3

icu still same

2 beds available in icu

0 in CUH, Wexford, South Tipp. 1 Available in Mercy and Kilkenny

11 cases. No deaths nationally notified but still over 800 infections and that's on a Monday :(

Really is incredibly persistent given the circumstances.

Slide1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

11 cases. No deaths nationally notified but still over 800 infections and that's on a Monday :(

Really is incredibly persistent given the circumstances.

I suppose it's worth noting, and something I keep forgetting myself actually, is that the last couple of weeks they've resumed close contact testing again.

So rather than the numbers being stagnant, you'd have to assume that the numbers prior to 2 weeks ago were a multiple higher than were actually reported. So at least we can be sure the 800 now is somewhat accurate with close contacts being included, where as maybe the 1200 a couple of weeks ago was actually twice that, because close contacts weren't being tested.

But numbers-wise, compared to where we were before December's ****show, we're still pretty high in the wider scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

A lot of coverage was given to the mental health effects of the ongoing pandemic in yesterday's Sunday Independent. It's probably only the tip of the iceberg. Personally I think that a lot of people are suffering out there at the moment. I am hearing stories of guys that have never had problems being struck down by the overwhelming burden of the past year. In my workplace alone there are three fellas out with mental health issues. One fella who is due to retire in June but had to leave the office at lunchtime one day last week as he had hit rock bottom. It's an insidious side of the pandemic. And problems that these people will have to sadly carry forward.

A lot of coverage was given to the mental health effects of the ongoing pandemic in yesterday's Sunday Independent. It's probably only the tip of the iceberg. Personally I think that a lot of people are suffering out there at the moment. I am hearing stories of guys that have never had problems being struck down by the overwhelming burden of the past year. In my workplace alone there are three fellas out with mental health issues. One fella who is due to retire in June but had to leave the office at lunchtime one day last week as he had hit rock bottom. It's an insidious side of the pandemic. And problems that these people will have to sadly carry forward.

The situation with mental health services are deeply concerning, services were poor before all of this, and they've been deteriorating rapidly since, my own services have been curtailed significantly, simply just overwhelmed and under staffed. I'd class my own mental health issues as being relatively mild in comparison to others, but like everyone else, ive been struggling with this also. As far as I can see, multiples of billions is required immediately, to create services that are gonna be needed to deal with the aftermath, health care staff are dropping like flies, they 'll need significant support, in order for them to be able to return to work, but so to will the rest of the population, it's disturbing to watch unfold.

Slide1.jpg

Last nights hse report
    849 hospital cases in total
    155 in ICU
    5 Deaths

In Waterford
    50 Cases -2
    3 in 24 hours
    5 in ICU -1

2 ICU beds available in ICU
    0 ICU beds in South Tipp, and Mercy. 1 bed in CUH and Kilkenny. 2 in Wexford.

Slide updated put up yesterdays by mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Struggling the last week myself, these restrictions are getting too much and so is the constant doom and gloom in the media. Were looking at other countries getting ready to reopen society and us been told 'not yet lads and this could on into 2022

Variants is the new buzz word of the day and were hiding from ones that may never/don't exist

Advertisement