Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

My parents said it went in the space of an hour. We had about 2cm on all surfaces at 12:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm in Tymon Park and there's a really unusual cloud formation over the Dublin mountains, almost looks like another absolutely huge mountain range behind them. Tried to get a pic but it didn't do it any justice at all.
    Saw that!
    I'm in Ballyfermot and just walking the dogs looking towards the mountains and it looked like the Alps or something, I'm thinking, wait, are they normally that high!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It was the same in West Clare, I reckon we got a good 3-4cm covering, never seen anything melt so fast. I recall storm Emma where there was still some deposits visible after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Much milder here now. No harm to see the back of the freezing rain anyway.

Yeah my parents were saying that too. Which is so bizarre because the ground here was frozen solid before it arrived.

I think the dry snow is easier to melt. It’s like sand and doesn’t have any strength to it. When it was falling earlier it was breaking up and not making much of an impact.

I wonder if that’s why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

From Thursday of last week, according to radio experts and Google weather, we went from country wide snow, to it being purely confined to the Dublin area at most, to definitely coming Monday night, then cancelled for Tuesday, then Wednesday, then at some stage nailed on for up to a foot of snow in Dublin on Friday into Saturday morning.

We got a rapid 90 second blast of hail type snow that stayed on the ground all of a few hours on Monday, a few afternoon falls of that dandruff like snow that didn't stick to even dry ground several times throughout the week.

Disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And the power went again! ONE HOUR it lasted!

So I hastily phoned the ferry/taxi man and caught the ESB men as they were about to leave the island!! Nice one( I hesitated then realised it ,ay well be a fault here..) The storm had blown a fuse on the pole so they were up and down it changing and checking it while the taximan and I exchanged hand signals about the status of the power and relayed it to them .. life out here is picturesque at times. There was one other such damage at another house.

ESB chopper them in and out. All impressively masked. I am impressed with the service.

And up the poles in this wind.. Heroes.

Bitter, and I was told high winds again tomorrow.

Oh and of course my groceries did not arrive. It was far too stormy. But I had good stocks of most things.

All in all. all OK! It was too bitterly cold though . Painfully so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snow all gone here on lower routes, that disappeared fast, very sloppy on upper roads yet, wet snow just is not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The wind is disgusting

Proper fed up of this cold now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Graces, the next bit of weather news for you would be tomorrow's expected strong winds around 0900 to 1500h with gusts to 120 km/hr possible in coastal areas, direction south-southwest veering to west-southwest later. We probably need a new thread for this and the ongoing heavy rainfall situation in the south.

Orange level wind warnings issued by Met for Galway, Mayo and Donegal, with 1200-1600h valid time although GFS12z shows strongest gradients setting in a bit earlier than that.

No warnings currently in place for rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Now 9.2ºc down in Cork, positively summery now!

Along with the rain and mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Ok so Mayo wins winter 2020/21. I think in 2 days they got more snow than everywhere else in Ireland combined. Not often you can say that. Now bring on the spring :-)

Not yet.. I’m still up for a northerly

Anyway, still 3c here and below freezing oddly at 300 metres. The snow is terrible though, drifted to the max everywhere.

If we had no wind we might’ve actually had a decent covering. People always rave about blizzards but they’re no fun!

Snow is drifted to oblivion: 9jmcQzG.jpg

Ck7BWcJ.jpg

We’ll need to go to around 2500 metres to see any snow from tomorrow on! :( not excited for the wind and rain!

Graces, the next bit of weather news for you would be tomorrow's expected strong winds around 0900 to 1500h with gusts to 120 km/hr possible in coastal areas, direction south-southwest veering to west-southwest later. We probably need a new thread for this and the ongoing heavy rainfall situation in the south.

Orange level wind warnings issued by Met for Galway, Mayo and Donegal, with 1200-1600h valid time although GFS12z shows strongest gradients setting in a bit earlier than that.

No warnings currently in place for rainfall.

Thank you! My neighbour the ferryman told me it would be 50 tomorrow ; I think he meant miles? He was planning grocery shopping and to bring me bread...Ah well!

It is the direction that affects most out here. East is the worst, closely followed by north. The fire does not burn well in those cases; I think it is the way they cowled the chimney

One report quotes met ie as south west winds; their actual forecast says south east

Oh re rainfall; the online forecast warns re possible flooding.

ORANGE? Oh MY! Speed read your post! But at least temps are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ok so Mayo wins winter 2020/21. I think in 2 days they got more snow than everywhere else in Ireland combined. Not often you can say that. Now bring on the spring :-)

I must agree. Jammy feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Think I was one of the better areas hit by the snow in Dublin last night, this was taken at 7am.
    nuOCvcv.jpg

This was a video I took an hour later, around 8:32am.

The snow stuck to everything bar the ground. I did a time-lapse but my Ipad fell during the night, although It picked up the "blizzard" like conditions around 4 or 5am, hence why I think I got a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    DellyBelly in "I don't like snow" shocker post.

Ha ha.. I do like snow. Going skiing most years just don't like it when at home. Its too disruptive. You'll laugh but for the last snow event a few weeks ago I put out the child of Prague statue and the snow held off our area while snowing in other parts of Dublin. Put it out again this week and it worked again here.. Ha ha. I'm not even religious but if it works who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Anyway, still 3c here and below freezing oddly at 300 metres. The snow is terrible though, drifted to the max everywhere.

If we had no wind we might’ve actually had a decent covering. People always rave about blizzards but they’re no fun!

Snow is drifted to oblivion: 9jmcQzG.jpg

Ck7BWcJ.jpg

We’ll need to go to around 2500 metres to see any snow from tomorrow on! :( not excited for the wind and rain!

Just imagine if we did have mountains over 9000 feet, we could feed our snow craving nearly all year round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just went out for a walk and it was very nice. Almost bone dry everywhere and a cool fresh wind. Watching the crows flocking is something amazing. I could watch them all evening.

Just went out for a walk and it was very nice. Almost bone dry everywhere and a cool fresh wind. Watching the crows flocking is something amazing. I could watch them all evening.

Soaking everywhere here,snow all gone bar a few patches,raining and windy and just 4.2c
    Misery personified
    When will the warmth reach us,its wanted now

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A_mc_b

Snow rapidly melted and thawed here in letterkenny. After a snowy morning (7cm) falling, Was nice too see all the same.
    Now back to the wind and rain. Roll on some spring weather. Temp now a steady 3C.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Soaking everywhere here,snow all gone bar a few patches,raining and windy and just 4.2c
    Misery personified
    When will the warmth reach us,its wanted now

Payback!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Ha ha.. I do like snow. Going skiing most years just don't like it when at home. Its too disruptive. You'll laugh but for the last snow event a few weeks ago I put out the child of Prague statue and the snow held off our area while snowing in other parts of Dublin. Put it out again this week and it worked again here.. Ha ha. I'm not even religious but if it works who knows..

Can you leave the statue out tonight and forward on your address please 😂😂😉? ⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Enough for a bit of tricking about here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

A_mc_b wrote: »
    Snow rapidly melted and thawed here in letterkenny. After a snowy morning (7cm) falling, Was nice too see all the same.
    Now back to the wind and rain. Roll on some spring weather. Temp now a steady 3C.

Yes, like us canuckies, you need to fall down on your knees and pray that you get lower temperatures for the snow to stay on the ground. It works.

The wind is loud again. I long for a quiet night....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

Graces7 wrote: »
    The wind is loud again. I long for a quiet night....

A while to wait yet Graces7.....hope you’re feeling bit better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Musefan wrote: »
    Enough for a bit of tricking about here!

Something unsettling about that image as it looks like a snowman that has had its insides gouged out.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement