Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

• 12-02-2021 6:14pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Thread 1
    Thread 2

No anti-vax stuff in this thread - it's to discuss the various vaccines available and how they are getting rolled out, as well as testing procedures

Threadbans carry over

Threadbanned users:
    3xh
    Dr.Frost
    kingbhome
    nannerbenahs
    skooterblue2
    Fodla
    Caraibh
    drunkmonkey
    lawrencesummers
    Howard Beale
    Thornysheep
    Snowcat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Smells like new car in here... except the car is on fire :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't like new threads, it normally takes years for a thread to get to this point. I only want to use threads which have been around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't like new threads, it normally takes years for a thread to get to this point. I only want to use threads which have been around for years.

This thread isn’t moving fast enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Might be an idea to post the full segment rather than the blatant selective segment shared by the nutritionist

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/094ad...4/?jwsource=cl

This is the worst type of dishonest reporting. Intentionally taking a segment to deliberately paint someone’s views in a different light

Thanks raind. I wasn't aware and that Eric ding tweet is a bit misleading. I wasn't aware of the full segment. Thanks.

Regards to the reassurances given though I'd be inclined to wait. She stated that "in all of the clinical trials to date there have been no cases of hospitalisation or severe disease in the vaccine group"

This is reassuring but that South African study is the only clinical trial we have seen where the vaccine efficacy has been measured against that South African variant.

Given the impact it has had of efficacy especially in some vaccines I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Reassuring though so thanks.

Big difference in the confidence intervals and the study participants being generally young won't tell us about the older cohort which unfortunately are far more likely to end up in hospital etc.
    Interim results of the Novavax Covid-19 vaccine in HIV-uninfected individuals in South Africa and the general UK population reported VE of 60% (95%CI: 20; 80; in) and 89% (95%CI:75; 95), respectively against all-severity Covid-19 (also mainly mild and moderate illness)

J & J does look good at preventing severe which is very good news.
    Interim results from the South African arm reported VE of 54% against moderate-severe and 85% against severe Covid-19 mainly due to B.1.351 variant.
    Escape from human neutralizing antibody responses is expected to be a feature of the pandemic coronavirus in the years ahead as a result of pressure on the virus to select for variants that can still transmit despite immunity from natural infection or vaccination and cause mild infection. For this reason, the results reported here are expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Simple and makes my point about vaccine priority better than I ever managed too:

https://twitter.com/mdbarra/status/1360275741183770627

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hmmm wrote: »
    You've got over 9 thousand 9 hundred and ninety posts to enjoy before this thread expires - make the most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hopefully the thread runs out of subject matter later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Water John wrote: »
    Hopefully the thread runs out of subject matter later in the year.

Wouldn't mind if the thread went on for a while. So long as its all positive updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Prof Sahin:

“”If people keep getting vaccinated then the mortality rate may become lower than for flu………””

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Speaking of Sahin:

COVID-19: Vaccine doses shouldn't be more than six weeks apart, scientist behind Pfizer-BioNTech jab says

Professor Ugur Sahin says the UK should provide evidence to back up its vaccination strategy.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-doses-shouldnt-be-more-than-six-weeks-apart-scientist-behind-pfizer-biontech-jab-says-12215576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭brickster69

Speaking of Sahin:

COVID-19: Vaccine doses shouldn't be more than six weeks apart, scientist behind Pfizer-BioNTech jab says

Professor Ugur Sahin says the UK should provide evidence to back up its vaccination strategy.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-doses-shouldnt-be-more-than-six-weeks-apart-scientist-behind-pfizer-biontech-jab-says-12215576

A bit like Ferrari asking Mercedes proof of how the others car goes faster. What's it to do with him, go and ask WHO, UK & EU regulators why they approved it for 12 weeks.

All roads lead to Rome.

A bit like Ferrari asking Mercedes proof of how the others car goes faster. What's it to do with him, go and ask WHO, UK & EU regulators why they approved it for 12 weeks.
    ? Pfizer-BioNTech was approved by EMA for doses between 21 and 28 days.

1.1 million doses done by end of March
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1360320443396337667?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

my god is that some positive ****ing rhetoric :eek:

edit:from MM I mean, not ACE

It’s more like Ferrari asking why are you running my car with a Hyundai engine and still expecting it to perform like a Ferrari without so much as testing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think a more accurate analogy would be a government deciding a different service regime for a car against the manufacturers advice and the manufacturer querying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

In the US, Fauci has said, that "virtually everybody and anybody in any category could start to get vaccinated" in April.

Prioritisation for certain groups should end in April in the US.

Hopefully a sign of things to come here when we have enough supply.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I think a more accurate analogy would be a government deciding a different service regime for a car against the manufacturers advice and the manufacturer querying that.

That's totally fair enough. But not from someone who is making a similar product and disputing things when he has no proof to back up his claims. He can only base things on what he knows about his own vaccine.

All roads lead to Rome.

That's totally fair enough. But not from someone who is making a similar product and disputing things when he has no proof to back up his claims. He can only base things on what he knows about his own vaccine.

He was talking about his own product and the uk decision to space the Pfizer biontech doses 12 weeks apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Cork2021

He was talking about his own product and the uk decision to space the Pfizer biontech doses 12 weeks apart

Ok, he is talking about Pfizer my mistake. Maybe the UK regulators decided on a different service regime for that vaccine based on what they have found out themselves and are happy to advise that. If we remember that everyone was calling the UK crazy when they increased time frame for the AZ vaccine to be increased and now it is accepted.

I think what it comes down to was, that Pfizer never tested or had any data on a longer second dose basis and they were approved on the 28 days basis. Now it seems that up to 6 weeks is acceptable but not certified by the regulators.

Probably best off picking up a phone and speak to the people involved with it in the UK you would of thought, than going to TV disputing it.

All roads lead to Rome.

Ok, he is talking about Pfizer my mistake. Maybe the UK regulators decided on a different service regime for that vaccine based on what they have found out themselves and are happy to advise that. If we remember that everyone was calling the UK crazy when they increased time frame for the AZ vaccine to be increased and now it is accepted.

I think what it comes down to was, that Pfizer never tested or had any data on a longer second dose basis and they were approved on the 28 days basis. Now it seems that up to 6 weeks is acceptable but not certified by the regulators.

Probably best off picking up a phone and speak to the people involved with it in the UK you would of thought, than going to TV disputing it.

The UK did not increase the Astra Zeneca vaccine interval. The 12 week gap was qualified. The uk decided to use the 12 week interval for Pfizer before AZ was even approved. I think you have a lot of the details muddled.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Thats a fantastic piece. I have great time for Paul Cullen. Only person who ever asks proper questions at the briefings. He asked yesterday why we aren't trying harder to open our schools and also pressed on healthcare worker infections and vaccine effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Thats a fantastic piece. I have great time for Paul Cullen. Only person who ever asks proper questions at the briefings. He asked yesterday why we aren't trying harder to open our schools and also pressed on healthcare worker infections and vaccine effects.

True, not too many will ask those questions in fear of being vilified by his or hers peers

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

If we are currently on 248,284 up to Tuesday and with 7 weeks or so left in Q1 we are going to have to average 121,673 or so per week to make the 1.1 million target.

As an aside the moderna number is still at 1893 doses administered, anyone any ideas on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If we are currently on 248,284 up to Tuesday and with 7 weeks or so left in Q1 we are going to have to average 121,673 or so per week to make the 1.1 million target.

As an aside the moderna number is still at 1893 doses administered, anyone any ideas on this?

Good to have a high target. We'll have to get to about 200/250K per week right through the second quarter. Not sure we'll get to that level until April.

Think we're doing 80k next week (12000 85+, 25000 HCW, 42500 LTRC) as a minimum so I think 1.1 million is achievable as it ramps up

• Advertisement

The UK did not increase the Astra Zeneca vaccine interval. The 12 week gap was qualified. The uk decided to use the 12 week interval for Pfizer before AZ was even approved. I think you have a lot of the details muddled.

The Pfizer jab is recommended for 4 weeks for the second dose because it was only tested for that time frame. If they had time to test different intervals then approval would have been delayed by two months or longer, so this is the data they have. No evidence to say that it will be less effective.

If 12 weeks is equal or better we will see, but obviously there would be some sort of scientific advice and strong evidence that there is.

All roads lead to Rome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement