Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is it really just a situation where the only EU nations to authorise the Sputnik vaccine independently are the somewhat fringe nations? The EU bureaucracy regarding vaccines has already shown itself to be unnecessarily slow and cautious with regards to AZ, why not get some Sputnik separately?

Would agree with the slow but the EMA did authorise for all adults. It's individual countries who decided to limit its use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Is it really just a situation where the only EU nations to authorise the Sputnik vaccine independently are the somewhat fringe nations? The EU bureaucracy regarding vaccines has already shown itself to be unnecessarily slow and cautious with regards to AZ, why not get some Sputnik separately?

Only one EU country has approved Sputnik V, Hungary.
    They have also ordered the Chinese vaccine and are expect to approve it shortly.

The EMA was not that slow approving the AZ vaccine, it just appears that way because the UK approved it for emergency use well before they applied to the EMA. The EMA can't just approve vaccines or any medicine without the company applying for approval. Cautions, with AZ, I don;t see how, it's approved for all ages above 18+. Individual countries have decided upon themselves to not administer it to certain age groups in favor of more efficient mRNA vaccines. That was not an EMA decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

So just a thought, if a vaccine isn’t approved in a nation or bloc such as the EU, will a person vaccinated with say the Chinese vaccine be recognised as being vaccinated for travel or entry purposes if that’s what happens in the future regarding travel.
    We could have an awkward situation on our hands with the freedom of movement within the the EU with certain countries being vaccinated with a different vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

hmmm wrote: »
    Good news and bad news from Israel. The vaccinated aren't ending up in hospital, but there is a much wider spread amongst younger unvaccinated people. I think this will disprove the notion that we reopen everything once the "vulnerable" are vaccinated - we'll have to be cautious for a while yet.

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1360401956230090754

Interesting. I don't think enough people appreciate the 'darwinian effect' risk to the unvaccinated over the coming months.

I think this reinforces the need for two-tier sets of rules. One set of rules for those that have been vaccinated and one set of rules for those who haven't.

I think the vaccination of children will become a big point later this year, maybe in August before schools return. Schools might only be able to return to complete normality once this occurs. Oxford have started a trial of children aged 5 and above. There are other trails focused on 7+ and 12+ age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

XsApollo wrote: »
    So just a thought, if a vaccine isn’t approved in a nation or bloc such as the EU, will a person vaccinated with say the Chinese vaccine be recognised as being vaccinated for travel or entry purposes if that’s what happens in the future regarding travel.
    We could have an awkward situation on our hands with the freedom of movement within the the EU with certain countries being vaccinated with a different vaccine.
    Variants will kill off that vaccine passport idea in the long term. In the short term some countries might try it but it'll be more out of a sense of getting economies going again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

is_that_so wrote: »
    Variants will kill off that vaccine passport idea in the long term. In the short term some countries might try it but it'll be more out of a sense of getting economies going again.

They are trialling a variant resistant vaccine in the UK right now.

JTMan wrote: »
    Interesting. I don't think enough people appreciate the 'darwinian effect' risk to the unvaccinated over the coming months.

I think this reinforces the need for two-tier sets of rules. One set of rules for those that have been vaccinated and one set of rules for those who haven't.

I think the vaccination of children will become a big point later this year, maybe in August before schools return. Schools might only be able to return to complete normality once this occurs. Oxford have started a trial of children aged 5 and above. There are other trails focused on 7+ and 12+ age groups.
    You clearly haven't thought this idea out at all. Is unvaccinated like unwashed? It's voluntary vaccination, we really don't do this to citizens and any business that tries will end up in court never mind the the obscene image of the two tier society it evokes.

They are trialling a variant resistant vaccine in the UK right now.
    There will be others, still unseen. A vaccine passport for a constantly changing virus is unworkable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

Variants won't be a problem next year, when gen 2 or 3 vaccines come on stream

We have a problem now with variants because the vaccines only target the spike protein mostly

Future vaccines will be target the N protein and the virus as a whole, its game over then for Covid19

Then you get your passport

latency89 wrote: »

We have a problem now with variants because the vaccines only target the spike protein mostly

Future vaccines will be target the N protein and the virus as a whole, its game over then for Covid19

I don’t see the value of a passport unless it is proven the vaccines prevent transmission.

Plus the implications from a personal freedom point of view are worrisome.

• Advertisement

Israel leading the way with vaccine rollout and providing valuable data to the rest of the world. I hope their neighbours and the rest of the haters remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Israel leading the way with vaccine rollout and providing valuable data to the rest of the world. I hope their neighbours and the rest of the haters remember that.

Hahah what?

Not to drag this off topic but should we forgive Israel for their treatment of Palestine because they have the priviledge of receiving a higher proportion of vaccines than any other country in the world?

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

Everyone knows the Irish courts will be full of vaccine liability cases in the coming years but I didn’t think our dysfunctional legal system would actually prevent the efficient distribution of the vaccine from Day 1.

GPs want to use larger premises like community halls, rather than their own clinics which can’t cope with the numbers. So why is the Department blocking this?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gps-banned-from-using-halls-and-hotels-to-vaccinate-over-70s-40086315.html

But of course, insurance!

And a second issue in this report- what to do with the vaccines when a patient doesn’t turn up of their appointment (SOP in the HSE)? The vaccines only last a few hours so why not do what Israel did successfully- have a first come, first served system for any leftover vaccine at the end of each day. I would be pleasantly amazed if Ireland finds any sensible solution. We’ll probably dump the unused vaccines and hope no one asks.

I don't see passports happening in the long term. They are a disproportionate response to a disease that will probably end up like a cold.

AdamD wrote: »
    Hahah what?

Not to drag this off topic but should we forgive Israel for their treatment of Palestine because they have the priviledge of receiving a higher proportion of vaccines than any other country in the world?

Nonsense

Preparation not privilege. Learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Philco71

Preparation not privilege. Learn from them.

Privilege for some:

https://mg.co.za/health/2021-01-13-the-dark-side-of-israels-vaccine-success-story/

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

irishlad. wrote: »
    My favourite is the 'we should be doing our own vaccine deals' brigade :pac:

Yeah imagine wanting your government to do it's very best to protect it's citizens.

Hungary was able to do their own deals. Is our government too incompetent to do it themselves??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Truly great martyrs. What other country would be willing to vaccinate their *whole population for the benefit of the world?

*Does not include occupied Palestinians

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

I don't see passports happening in the long term. They are a disproportionate response to a disease that will probably end up like a cold.

I dont know either, if they can develop a nucleocapsid vaccine that's pretty much a pancoronavirus treatment, they might have appetite for the passport.

Really hard to gauge at this stage, I hate the idea of it and detest what they are doing in Israel now with vaccinated people able to go cinemas, restaurants etc and non vaccinated confined to supermarkets and pharmacy only. Vaccines shouldnt be forced on healthy people imo, like health passports will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We're adding barely more than 4000 first jabs a day currently.

0.3% increase of total population given first jab. :eek: Lord help us.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1359450800318218240

https://twitter.com/covid19dataie/status/1360904385375703041?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

btw could this thread be titled to included word "Rollout" as this is what most people are currently interested in I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I dont know either, if they can develop a nucleocapsid vaccine that's pretty much a pancoronavirus treatment, they might have appetite for the passport.

Really hard to gauge at this stage, I hate the idea of it and detest what they are doing in Israel now with vaccinated people able to go cinemas, restaurants etc and non vaccinated confined to supermarkets and pharmacy only. Vaccines shouldnt be forced on healthy people imo, like health passports will do.

Mod

You are still threadbanned. Week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

No new information here, just a side by side of previous days:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit?usp=sharing

Good to see AstraZeneca taking off, that number will rise rapidly in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

What has been the percentage uptake of vaccines so far among Group 1 and 2?

Is the rollout plan based on total numbers per group or does it expect that at most 70% of each group will/can receive the vaccine?

josip wrote: »
    What has been the percentage uptake of vaccines so far among Group 1 and 2?

Is the rollout plan based on total numbers per group or does it expect that at most 70% of each group will/can receive the vaccine?

Are you looking for an antivax hole in the system? My opinion for what its worth is that a very high % of older people will get vaccinated. They for one are the most vulnerable and two they have lived through times when vaccination changed things in this country dramatically when they were young. I remember when the polio vaccine was a godsend and I'm in my 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Cork2021 wrote: »

Tiny numbers.

Very frustrating for the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Vaccine passports will 100% be a thing in the near future imo. I'm surprised at the amount of people here that think otherwise.

Tiny numbers.

Very frustrating for the public.

You're claiming to be the 'voice of the public'?
    We'll watch it over time. They're using all the vaccine that's coming into the country except for keeping a small amount in stock of the newer vaccines until regular supplies are established.

• Advertisement

We're adding barely more than 4000 first jabs a day currently.

0.3% increase of total population given first jab. :eek: Lord help us.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1359450800318218240

https://twitter.com/covid19dataie/status/1360904385375703041?s=21

Pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement