Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

“Pathetic”, “so slow”, “disgrace”, “but hungary??”

Etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

Water John wrote: »
    Are you looking for an antivax hole in the system? My opinion for what its worth is that a very high % of older people will get vaccinated. They for one are the most vulnerable and two they have lived through times when vaccination changed things in this country dramatically when they were young. I remember when the polio vaccine was a godsend and I'm in my 60s.

Not sure what you mean by an antivax hole.
    My main reason for asking is that, although I think it's unlikely, I'd prefer to have gotten vaccinated before leaving Ireland in early July, than having to rely on PCR tests for travel.

I'm in the 18-55 group however and according to the original SBB estimates from early January (which in the absence of anything else is the best estimate I've got) that group would only be getting started in July.

However if the average uptake of vaccines was only 70%, that I think would mean they start other groups sooner, in order to make full use of the increased supply of vaccines from mid Q2 on.

TJOiuvj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Cork2021

“Pathetic”, “so slow”, “disgrace”, “but hungary??”

Etc etc etc

We’ll probably hit 100k next week! But that still won’t be enough for a few on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

When they give the percentage of people vaccinated, is that as a percentage of the total population or a percentage of the population over the age of 18? I think the latter would be the most appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So from tomorrow over 85 start to get vaccinated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes, I think close to 100 GP practices the first week. There is also vaccination at central locations.

Here is a general read art from The Observer on Gilbert and Pollard, Oxford. A bit UK bias but ok.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/14/life-savers-story-oxford-astrazeneca-coronavirus-vaccine-scientists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

This should have a big impact on the number of deaths as the median age for deaths is around 85. Probably about 6-8 weeks before the effect is noticeable

Josip, think it's much too early to be projecting how far will have been vaccinated by July, but personally think most adults will be at that point. Over 70s and some under will be done by late April.
    The SBP article has vaccination peaking at 125k per week. IWT it will be close to double that. Hope we get to 200/250K per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You're claiming to be the 'voice of the public'?
    We'll watch it over time. They're using all the vaccine that's coming into the country except for keeping a small amount in stock of the newer vaccines until regular supplies are established.

The more people complain about the slowness of the vaccine the faster the politicians and the vaccine companies will react.

If it was up some here, they'd be happy with any response of the government.

It's normal for people to complain about their government.

The more people complain about the slowness of the vaccine the faster the politicians and the vaccine companies will react.

It’s speeding up tomorrow, well done you fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

blackcard wrote: »
    When they give the percentage of people vaccinated, is that as a percentage of the total population or a percentage of the population over the age of 18? I think the latter would be the most appropriate

The twitter bot that is quoted on this thread is a third party bot, not from the HSE. The owner includes the total population, including those under 18. So the % is an underestimate as such, but in line with other trackers.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1360238897012310017

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They've got 10 million doses hidden in the Sally gap do they?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    They've got 10 million doses hidden in the Sally gap do they?

Aldi have vaccines on middle aisle from tomorrow so we’re waiting for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

HSE also quote a number of 1.1 million doses by end of Q1, with approx 1 million doses arriving per month thereafter. If you take those broad numbers, the supply bottleneck should soon disappear, and the focus then shifts to getting the vaccines into as many arms as quickly as possible. Usual caveats apply.

543582.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Josip, think it's much too early to be projecting how far will have been vaccinated by July, but personally think most adults will be at that point. Over 70s and some under will be done by late April.
    The SBP article has vaccination peaking at 125k per week. IWT it will be close to double that. Hope we get to 200/250K per week.

We'd need significantly more than 250k per week really. It would take 10 months to give everyone 2 doses at 250k per week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What are you going to complain about? The whole reason for the delay is the botched EU approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AdamD wrote: »
    We'd need significantly more than 250k per week really. It would take 10 months to give everyone 2 doses at 250k per week
    For those that want it is the target number at 75%-80% of the adult population and September may not be so far off on that calculation. Don't forget J&J is likely to be a single shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

El Sueño wrote: »
    Vaccine passports will 100% be a thing in the near future imo. I'm surprised at the amount of people here that think otherwise.

I've no problem with vaccine passports but I only want them to be a thing after everyone is offered the vaccine.

It's really unfair if they become a thing before young people can get access to the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

is_that_so wrote: »
    For those that want it is the target number at 75%-80% of the adult population and September may not be so far off on that calculation. Don't forget J&J is likely to be a single shot.

Basing any rollout calculations off 100% of the population doesn't make sense. 80% would be probably be a realistic ceiling considering there will be some people who just won't take a vaccine. We will likely get to a point where ~70% of the population has received the vaccine and numbers taper off significantly from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So the rollout for the over 85s is starting shortly, what is the procedure for vaccinating those who have very limited mobility/are housebound. My understanding is that mRNA vaccines can't be transported more than a few metres once thawed.

A considerable number of people in this age group will have difficulty leaving the house even if they have a relative or carer to drive them. I have looked online and found very little except for some controversy from the UK about housebound individuals basically told to get to the GP or else go to the back of the queue.

Is it going to be left to individual GPs to do their own thing, if so there's a good chance that it will be a shambles. Have practical issues (even more important for those with poor mobility) like having adequate car parking at surgeries been considered. IME GPs and other doctors NEVER see their patients at the the time of appointment, will it be the usual carry on of being told you will be vaccinated at a particular time and don't be late - and then waiting around in the surgery for an hour before you are called.

If I was rolling out a vaccination programme using mRNA vaccines I'd try to dispense with GP surgeries altogether and have
    -a website where people can register. Some won't/can't but many will.
    -a large temporary vaccination centre setup in a large space like a shopping centre car park
    -wheelchairs provided
    -a system whereby people wait in their cars and are texted when the vaccinator is ready and have 5 minutes to get from the car to the tent.
    -disabled adapted buses/taxis to bring those who can't get there by car

More like an NCT centre than a GP surgery.

Another issue - my relative turns 85 in the summer so won't be in the first batch but I would assume that they would be near the top of any standby list. My understanding is that the GP will be one of those rolling out the vaccine and I would have expected some communication (e.g. text message or something on social media) from the GP regarding standby lists. Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I've no problem with vaccine passports but I only want them to be a thing after everyone is offered the vaccine.

It's really unfair if they become a thing before young people can get access to the vaccine.

So no vaccine passports until everybody can get one.
    So let’s keep everybody locked up because it’s unfair on people that don’t have one.
    If I can’t have one nobody else can have one.
    No thanks , get everything moving as fast a possible thanks. I am way down the list and I won’t want anybody stuck because I can’t have my vaccine passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Yes, my mother who's 85 got a phone call on Thursday night calling her for her jab this Thursday. They're going to do my father who is 84 at the same time while they're at it.

Dr. Colm Henry has said, no one will be left behind. I think the point of contact is the GP and I'd say if it needs AZ that's what would be used. Not sure how high the numbers might be. Two ambulance trips if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭brickster69

Uk hits it's target with a day to spare

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56062976

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

It's the countries that are travelled to that will enforce this. They won't care if you have been offered a vaccine or not.

We won't care if someone travelling to Ireland has been offered or not either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Uk hits it's target with a day to spare

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56062976

I see that Johnson is facing pressure from some of the governments own MP’s.

Lockdown-sceptic Conservatives have called on Mr Johnson to commit to a timetable for completely ending the controls by May.

Right wing politicians in the UK are no different now than they were in 1846.
    Good they have made such headway in first dose vaccination but I'm generally glad I live in Ireland. This DNR policy for people with mental learning difficulties if they caught Covid is horrible:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/13/new-do-not-resuscitate-orders-imposed-on-covid-19-patients-with-learning-difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Micky 32 wrote: »

Lockdown-sceptic Conservatives have called on Mr Johnson to commit to a timetable for completely ending the controls by May.

They'll have all over 50s and medical staff etc done by then, so it may well be doable.

There certainly is a case to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Cork2021 wrote: »
    We’ll probably hit 100k next week! But that still won’t be enough for a few on here!
    Ce he sin wrote: »
    Yes, my mother who's 85 got a phone call on Thursday night calling her for her jab this Thursday. They're going to do my father who is 84 at the same time while they're at it.

that's good to hear. My mother is over 80 but my father isn't 80 until the summer . He's not in good health and has cancer so we're hoping that they will do him when they do her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Micky 32 wrote: »

Uk will be fully open by June

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement