Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

• 17-03-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Today being Paddy Day 2020... when do you think we will have a ‘flu jab’ / pill / syrup that we can take to make us immune/ les likely to catch this 19 virus?.

Mod: The purpose of this thread is baked into the title - COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures - it's not a platform to push an anti vaccination agenda. If posters wish to discuss the perceived cons of vaccinations, or push various theories regarding 'the agenda' (whatever that is supposed to mean), open a thread elsewhere on it.

Threadbanned Users:
    3xh
    Dr.Frost
    kingbhome
    nannerbenahs
    skooterblue2
    Fodla
    Caraibh
    drunkmonkey
    lawrencesummers
    Howard Beale
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

No idea when.
    Researchers are working on it.

Berend-Jan Bosch @UtrechtUni and Frank Grosveld @erasmusuni have discovered an antibody that neutralizes SARS-CoV-2 (and SARS-CoV) and has potential for prevention and treatment of #COVID-19.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.987958v1

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

We'll see a lot of this before a definitive announcement, but take it for what it's worth :-

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3552397-regeneron-advances-covidminus-19-antibody-program-shares-up-10-premarket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

otnomart wrote: »
    No idea when.
    Researchers are working on it.

Berend-Jan Bosch @UtrechtUni and Frank Grosveld @erasmusuni have discovered an antibody that neutralizes SARS-CoV-2 (and SARS-CoV) and has potential for prevention and treatment of #COVID-19.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...03.11.987958v1

Our best hope is a drug that's already approved for human use that can be used on covid 19. Should lead to a quicker approval process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Corona virus is here to stay. Just like the common various forms of annual flu.
    Expect to be heading for the doctor for an annual injection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Corona virus is here to stay. Just like the common various forms of annual flu.
    Expect to be heading for the doctor for an annual injection

Corona virus in various forms mutations I take it you mean. Surely you only need to be vaccinated against CoVid 19 only once...rather than annually

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Still no vaccine for the 2002 SARS so I would not use the this in your long term planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Still no vaccine for the 2002 SARS so I would not use the this in your long term planning.
    they never bothered with it, if you look up any decent source as it was contained.

same goes for this virus, best option now seems get numbers low, and hope it becomes more seasonal, i know its just guessing, but vaccine of any sort carries to much risk, granted could be tested on those critical as a chance, but would take months, existing meds are used off label already but its last case resort on those critical to give them a chance.

as bad as it seems herd immunity might be single thing that buys time, as we dont have most important information on mass population, and if uk wont screw up this could provide real figures, as Chinese cant be trusted, since they show very high rate of recoveries now, but the outbreak seems went flat which by any means in 1.4 bill country seems not plausible, given how rampant it began, as italy surpassed that number already, which gives very mixed results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

scamalert wrote: »
    they never bothered with it, if you look up any decent source as it was contained.

same goes for this virus, best option now seems get numbers low, and hope it becomes more seasonal, i know its just guessing, but vaccine of any sort carries to much risk, granted could be tested on those critical as a chance, but would take months, existing meds are used off label already but its last case resort on those critical to give them a chance.

as bad as it seems herd immunity might be single thing that buys time, as we dont have most important information on mass population, and if uk wont screw up this could provide real figures, as Chinese cant be trusted, since they show very high rate of recoveries now, but the outbreak seems went flat which by any means in 1.4 bill country seems not plausible, given how rampant it began, as italy surpassed that number already, which gives very mixed results.

Sars virus is still active in the middle East and kills people every year

• Registered Users Posts: 84,332 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I assume the top minds everywhere are working overtime on a vaccine for Covid19, is 2021 the likely earliest for one, has any trials begun even in China?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I assume the top minds everywhere are working overtime on a vaccine for Covid19, is 2021 the likely earliest for one, has any trials begun even in China?

I saw an article claim somewhere was trialing on humans already but dont know if i believe that yet.

From what i have read Canada may be the ones to watch in this regard and not China even though they had it well before anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭plodder

This is the best article I've found on the vaccine search. TLDR = Trials have already started but they won't be rushed, and the virus is likely to peter out naturally before a vaccine is available.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

plodder wrote: »
    This is the best article I've found on the vaccine search. TLDR = Trials have already started but they won't be rushed, and the virus is likely to peter out naturally before a vaccine is available.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready
    From the Guardian,
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/19/coronavirus-update-live-news-who-covid19-cases-outbreak-us-states-uk-school-closures-australia-europe-eu-africa-asia-latest-updates

"A massive effort is under way to develop a UK vaccine for coronavirus within months and make it available to save lives before the end of the year, the Guardian has learned.

Researchers at Oxford University, led by Prof Sarah Gilbert, are planning a safety trial on humans of what is expected to be the UK’s first coronavirus vaccine next month. Provided that goes smoothly, they will move directly into a larger trial to assess how effective the vaccine is at protecting against the infection.

The same vaccine will start animal trials next week at the Public Health England laboratory at Porton Down near Salisbury. Normally, animal work must be completed before human trials can start, but because similar vaccines have worked safely in trials for other diseases, the work has been accelerated.

Prof Adrian Hill, director of the Jenner Institute at Oxford, said:

We are conscious that a vaccine is needed as soon as possible and certainly by June–July, when we expect a big peak in mortality.

This is not a normal situation. We will follow all standard trial safety requirements, but as soon as we have a vaccine that’s working, we anticipate there will be an accelerated pathway to get it deployed to save lives. The more vaccine we can provide sooner, the better."

I believe the US also starting trials

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Can't find an existing vaccine thread... In the latest WHO situation report, it says that a vaccine has gone to trial internationally. It is only 60 days since the genetic sequence was made available, so that's an incredible achievement.

That seems very positive. Must look up how often vaccines are successful once they reach this stage.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200320-sitrep-60-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=8894045a_2
    The first vaccine trial has begun just 60 days after the genetic sequence of the
    virus was shared by China. This is an incredible achievement. To ensure clear
    evidence of which treatments are most effective, WHO and its partners are
    organizing a large international study, called the Solidarity Trial, in many
    countries to compare different treatments.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged and title updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

Typically can take a decade or more for a vaccine to complete trials and get licensed, if they do at all. Even at that point there would be issues producing huge quantities of it. 18 months might be a realistic minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Treatment with existing approved drugs is better case for trials than a vaccine.

SARS vaccine testing was never completed because the virus burned itself out before it was ready and therefore nobody to test it on and people with money lost interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭plodder

Probably deserves its own thread. An antibody test will show that someone has had the virus and has developed some degree of immunity.

This could be useful for health workers to start with, and then for the general population to allow them to return to work earlier than might have been possible without it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/can-coronavirus-antibody-test-help-build-an-army-of-immune-medical-workers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

plodder wrote: »
    Probably deserves its own thread. An antibody test will show that someone has had the virus and has developed some degree of immunity.

This could be useful for health workers to start with, and then for the general population to allow them to return to work earlier than might have been possible without it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/can-coronavirus-antibody-test-help-build-an-army-of-immune-medical-workers

Would be useful for someone like me who is waiting for test but has had symptoms for 3 weeks now. I might have had the virus but may pass the PCR test as the active virus may be absent.

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread.

What is the state of testing up to today the 31st March 2020?

I have these stats but am not sure if they are correct.
    Total tests taken 30,213
    Daily tests being taken 5000
    Daily tests being run in Lab 1500
    Daily lab tests target 10000-15000
    AVG wait to get test taken 7-14days
    AVG wait to get test result
    Waiting for ReAgent delivery 10 days.

British American Tobacco (BAT) has become the latest firm to offer hope of a Covid-19 vaccine after revealing a breakthrough with its tobacco plant technology.

The UK-headquartered group said its US-based biotech business has been working on a potential vaccine for Covid-19, which it believes could offer up to three million doses a week from June,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8175855/BAT-claims-Covid-19-vaccine-breakthrough-using-tobacco-plants.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Given its importance and I'd guess it has the best minds developing it as number one priority, how can it take so long? Genuinely curious, I know it needs human trials. Interested to see what the steps involved and the usual delays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MattS1 wrote: »
    Given its importance and I'd guess it has the best minds developing it as number one priority, how can it take so long? Genuinely curious, I know it needs human trials. Interested to see what the steps involved and the usual delays etc.

Well considering it's a virus and there is no cure for any virus even before covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

It's not like a drug that is given to (usually) sick people. With the typical drug clinical trials are more straightforward because it is easier to determine if the drug is having the desired effect or not. With a vaccine you are giving it to a largely healthy population so determining if it works or not takes longer. Also, with a vaccine you are giving it to a larger population of people i.e. Different ages (children and adults) which may also have other conditions, so safety data for this wider population is also required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

EmptyTree wrote: »
    It's not like a drug that is given to (usually) sick people. With the typical drug clinical trials are more straightforward because it is easier to determine if the drug is having the desired effect or not. With a vaccine you are giving it to a largely healthy population so determining if it works or not takes longer. Also, with a vaccine you are giving it to a larger population of people i.e. Different ages (children and adults) which may also have other conditions, so safety data for this wider population is also required.

Makes sense but I wonder is it even possible to develop a drug that combats the disease effects? As in a reactive approach as well as a proactive vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I work in pharma, but not vaccines, so bear in mind this is my opinion, not fact. That said, I’d imagine the biggest issue is safety and the need to assess that safety over a long period of time. The issue of safety (which is important for all medicines) is compounded in the case of vaccines because so many people receive the treatment and those people are healthy.

For example, say you have a drug for a relatively rare form of cancer that causes spontaneous fatal heart attacks in 0.01% of patients. If only 10,000 people globally are treated per year with this drug and they all have a high chance of dying of the cancer, then the 1 person dying of a heart attack every year might be considered an acceptable risk in the grand scheme of things. However, if a vaccine for something like Covid-19 caused spontaneous fatal heart attacks in 0.01% of people over the 5 years following vaccination, and the vaccine was given to a billion people, then that’s 100,000 healthy people dropping down dead from the vaccine. This is an extreme example, but it shows how important it is to know about even very rare side effects.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement