Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options
1322323324325326328»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm hoping the backlash will be strong and the government will force them to re-adjust the age restrictions to something more proportionate. Madness.
    Where is this backlash going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm hoping the backlash will be strong and the government will force them to re-adjust the age restrictions to something more proportionate. Madness.

Who gets to decide what’s appropriate on a medical issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There won’t be a backlash - Irrational health anxiety has become a national pastime, and they’ve moved on from fear of covid onto fear of the vaccines. I’m almost looking forward to the next wave, when side effects from Pfizer get publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

is_that_so wrote: »
    Where is this backlash going to come from?

Communication from constituents
    Social media reaction
    The media
    TDs (hopefully Cabinet Ministers) with a bit of cop on

Some scientists in their cushy public sector jobs needs to touch base with the real world here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maviesk

Vaccine press conference at 7.30pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭User1998

hmmm wrote: »
    Allow people to sign waivers and get the AZ vaccine if there is unused surplus.

The idea that a "couple of weeks" delay in the vaccination programme is trivial is unreal. A quarter of the country is out of work.

There shouldn’t even be a waiver. The chance of blood clotting is so small. If thats the case then you should be signing a waiver for every prescription/medicine/vaccine you ever take.

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

maviesk wrote: »
    Vaccine press conference at 7.30pm..

Given Fergal Bowers story was published at lunchtime and there's been no confirmation since I wouldn't be surprised if its a different story at this press conference. Clearly there has been a lot of talking since 1pm. Whatever issues we can see with this decision, those involved in the vaccine rollout will have seen many fold more. Hopefully sense has prevailed and its over 55s or 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Where's the press conference happening online?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Social media reaction
    The media

Some scientists in their cushy public sector jobs needs to touch base with the real world here.

Replace medical experts with effective mob rule ?

Social media reaction
    The media

Some of us are quite happy to trust the experts here. Again, it's not just Ireland. Most of Western Europe, Canada and Australia are doing similar. It's not going to impact the rollout as badly as some are claiming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Where's the press conference happening online?

I presume RTE News Now or something like that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Russman wrote: »
    Replace medical experts with effective mob rule ?

You got it in one!:D What couldn't go wrong with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Insanity. People are more likely to develop a blood clot from a contraceptive pill than the AZ vaccine.

60+ is far too restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Given Fergal Bowers story was published at lunchtime and there's been no confirmation since I wouldn't be surprised if its a different story at this press conference. Clearly there has been a lot of talking since 1pm. Whatever issues we can see with this decision, those involved in the vaccine rollout will have seen many fold more. Hopefully sense has prevailed and its over 55s or 50s.

It warrants a press conference regardless of whether there is inconsistency or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

lbj666 wrote: »
    It warrants a press conference regardless of whether there is inconsistency or not.

Sure. But if the second meeting, which Fergal Bowers said was ongoing in an article published at ca. 2pm, was just rubber stamping an earlier decision, the press conference would surely have been at 4pm or some such, not 7.30pm. I'm just speculating that the second meeting turned out to be much longer and, therefore, may have involved a rethink....

Godot. wrote: »
    Insanity. People are more likely to develop a blood clot from a contraceptive pill than the AZ vaccine.

60+ is far too restrictive.

They are very different types of clot. One in four CVST cases from the AZ vaccine result in death. Mortality rates for VTEs from the pill are nowhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Sure. But if the second meeting, which Fergal Bowers said was ongoing in an article published at ca. 2pm, was just rubber stamping an earlier decision, the press conference would surely have been at 4pm or some such, not 7.30pm. I'm just speculating that the second meeting turned out to be much longer and, therefore, may have involved a rethink....

There’s ramifications from the decision that will need to be dealt with.

On the restrictions. A quick Google search has:
    Germany above 60
    Italy above 60
    France above 55
    Canada above 55
    Australia above 50
    Greece above 30
    UK above 30

Obviously I’m not putting in upper limits as I’m too lazy to find them, but those are the current lower limits.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

New Megathreads splitting between:
    Testing
    and
    Vaccines

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement