Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary Throws Down The Gauntlet To NPHET

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

NPHET are going to be overly cautious.
    Big Business is going to be overly Liberal.

What we need is the people that we elect to meet half way because we all know somewhere in between the 2 extremes is the right path. It does seem like government is leading too much toward the Conservative approach. And the media are 100% down the Conservative approach, who shouldn't even be a factor but it seems like government make decisions entirely based on what the media will think.

what is so absolutely brilliant, when the **** really hits the fan is, is government by media! and with the worlds weakest politicians. So when the **** does hit the fan, well... this is what RTE etc wanted. Of course those rats will say, we werent elected, we arent experts etc...

pjohnson wrote: »
    Says the diehard Fine Gael voter :pac:

FG wont be getting another vote from me, like I said, now that they look after social welfare free luxury housing, funded by the early risers they lied about representing, I sure as hell am not a FG voter. Fool me once...

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Idbatterim wrote: »
    This is off the wall! I am referring to the "free money" I actually find the idiocy and lack of understanding behind it, offensive! Are we being written a cheque for several billion that wont have to be repaid ? I wasnt aware of that! We can borrow money for nothing now, if the markets turn like they did the last bust, have we borrowed these tens of billions, with a commitment of zero interest on this amount, full stop?

Nah, didnt think so, massive debt, that will pile up. Markets turn on us and this "free money" LOL! LOL!... LOL! then has credit card type interest rates, we ceed all control to the troika again, only this time, hopefull they stick around for good.

Maybe I am being harsh, maybe you are under 12 years old and didnt remember how it played out the last time...

Reminds me of a parody sketch of the Vincent Browne show where Brian Cowen's strategy for the national debt is to 'hope that the man who lent us de money forgets'........

Does no one remember what happened after the last dip into the MBNA credit card......years of austerity, a shambolic health service, no social housing etc etc etc

Or maybe it will be different this time and de man who lent us de money will forget......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Nobody is kicking anybody. Poster was having a rant about everything wrong about the current approach. I'd think being asked to take the PUP while ministers get a pay rise is something worth ranting about.

Didn't they give themselves a raise twice in the last year? I think if that was more widely known people would be saying stuff restrictions and be out on the streets demanding some heads.

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Reminds me of a parody sketch of the Vincent Browne show where Brian Cowen's strategy for the national debt is to 'hope that the man who lent us de money forgets'........

Does no one remember what happened after the last dip into the MBNA credit card......years of austerity, a shambolic health service, no social housing etc etc etc

Or maybe it will be different this time and de man who lent us de money will forget......

what happened to ireland last time around, with the banking debt, was morally corrupt. But the lesson was, never EVER, put ourselves in that position again. We are the week dweeb in the school yard, forget right or wrong, the big boys will get their money. The fact they have voluntarily put ourselves at the mercy of the markets and faith again, is disgusting or comedy, take your pick!

Turns out the decade of austerity and endless waffle, wasnt enough of a lesson learned, back to the classroom! Ive put money away, pretty much zero debt now, paying if off asap! Because when the **** here hits the fan again, forget saying "who could have seen it coming" etc, you have lived in this banana republic for decades, if you dont know how it functions, you have yourself to blame at this stage...

• Advertisement

Please show me where I said every vulnerable person is over 65 ? The answer is I didn't so try reading posts before reacting.

Your argument makes no sense, so just because some people with vulnerable conditions are in a pickle we may as well throw all the non vulnerable people into the same mess too. Solidarity in misery. Wonderful idea.

Or perhaps a government with a modicum of common sense amends supports so people have a genuine reason for isolating can get some form of welfare support. The bill would be a tiny fraction of the current mess. Not rocket science but then none of this is.

Your notion that every vulnerable person can simply choose how much risk they can take is what is absolute nonsense.

You are also seriously under-estimating the number of those who fall into the vulnerable category in this country. They are not a tiny minority.

For a start, there are over 200,000 diabetics alone in Ireland. Your solution is adding them all to social welfare bill? That's before we add all those with respiratory conditions, cancer survivors, immuno compromised, etc.

"Protect the vulnerable and let the rest of us live our lives" is never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Idbatterim wrote: »
    This is off the wall! I am referring to the "free money" I actually find the idiocy and lack of understanding behind it, offensive! Are we being written a cheque for several billion that wont have to be repaid ? I wasnt aware of that! We can borrow money for nothing now, if the markets turn like they did the last bust, have we borrowed these tens of billions, with a commitment of zero interest on this amount, full stop?

Nah, didnt think so, massive debt, that will pile up. Markets turn on us and this "free money" LOL! LOL!... LOL! then has credit card type interest rates, we ceed all control to the troika again, only this time, hopefull they stick around for good.

Maybe I am being harsh, maybe you are under 12 years old and didnt remember how it played out the last time...

Irish 30 year bonds have an interest rate of 0.3%, 10 year bonds have a negative interest rate. For all intents and purposes, borrowing at present has no cost.

No country ever pays back is loans, it rolls them over endlessly, knowing that inflation and economic growth make them less relatively valuable. The same will happen here.

Ireland need not worry about a financial implosion, because unlike in 2008, there are many more large powerful countries in much worse condition - Ireland won't be the first to fall if a reckoning comes, so it won't be the one hung out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Now that we are talking of O'Leary - myself and the wife were fascinated that people were still travelling on holidays (as per the rumours) - is that true - anyone know anyone - or would you even admit it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Hmm.. Budget airline known for generation of PR using controversial statements and direct lobbying though the media makes controversial statement to generate PR and directly lobbies through the media.

Shocking stuff!

Irish 30 year bonds have an interest rate of 0.3%, 10 year bonds have a negative interest rate. For all intents and purposes, borrowing at present has no cost.

No country ever pays back is loans, it rolls them over endlessly, knowing that inflation and economic growth make them less relatively valuable. The same will happen here.

Ireland need not worry about a financial implosion, because unlike in 2008, there are many more large powerful countries in much worse condition - Ireland won't be the first to fall if a reckoning comes, so it won't be the one hung out to dry.

i understand how government debt works! I am sick of these ridiculously simplictic analysis! If the money is free, why dont we borrow tens of billion more? get a worldclass health service, infrastructure etc?

You are borrowing a fortune and HOPING that the economic growth and inflation can take care of it. We have a black hole of a health system, huge national debt, huge welfare bill, social housing bill now huge. Ageing population. Its laughable if you guys dont see where this is growing! the economy was booming before covid, yet the last two budgets, there was nothing towards tax decreases or welfare increases, one budget in a pre election year! What does that tell you of the resources available. There is an leaky bucket , huge expenditure and the well is running dry, there are only so many magic money trees...

• Advertisement

Now that we are talking of O'Leary - myself and the wife were fascinated that people were still travelling on holidays (as per the rumours) - is that true - anyone know anyone - or would you even admit it ?

People can only put their lives on hold for so long. Especially when its just to cover a worthless government entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

It's going to be interesting to see peoples reactions when the vaccinated oldies are able to jet off to sunnier climes this summer, while most of the under 65's are stuck at home if Leo has his way. There's going to be a mad scramble for jabs come May and June.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    People can only put their lives on hold for so long. Especially when its just to cover a worthless government entity.

We haven't left 5 km - and we are hearing about people going on holidays - is it true ? :eek:

Your notion that every vulnerable person can simply choose how much risk they can take is what is absolute nonsense.

You are also seriously under-estimating the number of those who fall into the vulnerable category in this country. They are not a tiny minority.

For a start, there are over 200,000 diabetics alone in Ireland. Your solution is adding them all to social welfare bill? That's before we add all those with respiratory conditions, cancer survivors, immuno compromised, etc.

"Protect the vulnerable and let the rest of us live our lives" is never going to happen.

Yup its called living in a free country with freedom of choice something you don't seem to have a problem with having taken away. I do have a problem with it as millions have died and gone through misery to get these freedoms for us. In a year these freedoms have just vanished.

Classic fudgery on numbers, not evey diabetic, not every cancer survivor etc etc is vulnerable and it is up to people to make their own mind up on what is an acceptable level of risk. But no you would prefer to lock everyone up......

And sorry I don't get your social welfare argument. Many people currently are working from home where they can so any vulnerable person could do this so we ain't chucking them all onto the social welfare bill. Perhaps some who can't work from home yes will need support but the cost of this compared to the money bleeding out at the moment is tiny and their jobs will go to others who can work so the societal bill is not increased. Ultimately though up to people to make an individual choice. Old fashioned libertarian me, something which seems to be rapidly becoming very unfashionable......

By the way a substantial number of your 200,000 diabetics will be over 65 so won't be joining the social welfare ranks anyway outside of pension entitlements they would have got anyway so stop massaging figures.

I have to agree with your last point mind you, I think it is clear that we ain't going to change course not until we all get vaccinated, far too many political and scientific careers won't countenance back tracking now so we will have to wait for their tediously slow vaccination program to work its way through and then the PR cover job is complete.

Just wonder what will happen then when we realise people are still dieing.....from respiratory viruses and old age.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

On the austerity question, the IMF have reiterated that austerity is not the way going forward, at least for developed countries. I just can't see austerity being implemented; the youth unemployment in Italy and Spain for instance was too high before Covid, there will be an uprising I am sure of it if they enact stringent growth damaging policies. I'm just about to get stuck into the deficit myth to see what the author has to say about modern monetary theory.

Grand so let's just increase the PUP to a grand a week and we can on the eternal p*ss , sure make it two grand a week, we can borrow it for less than nothing in fact we are making money by borrowing it, so why stop at 2 grand, 10k a week for all. Wahooooo free money.

You and 'free money' McWilliams would get on great.

Please please can you for one second just have a think.

High borrowing always equals long term pain, bar hyper inflation (lovely that) it always ends in tears and a painful period of repayment.

Skyfloater wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting to see peoples reactions when the vaccinated oldies are able to jet off to sunnier climes this summer, while most of the under 65's are stuck at home if Leo has his way. There's going to be a mad scramble for jabs come May and June.

No way will that happen. If the over 65s are vaccinated by then people will be taking off for summer vacations. They're not staying home this years. Especially since Leo and company won't be "staycationing". I doubt they did it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Until we reach 70%herd immunity in Europe we shouldn’t have international travel within Europe.
    Same applies for global travel. We need to get to 70% vaccinated/infected.

That’s dependent on not getting any strains that are immune to current vaccines when the vaccine can’t just be tweaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Skyfloater wrote: »

200k in a month so a million by May, 3m short of herd immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Just heard on d news, that workplaces is the cause of latest cases of COVID 19, I have a question....since this COVID started, almost everything and anything has been blamed except the government managing COVID themselves with nursing homes and hospitals which is under their under control.

Anyway to date, what has been blamed
    Hospitality
    Workplaces
    International travellers

Trying to think what else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

We haven't left 5 km - and we are hearing about people going on holidays - is it true ? :eek:

It was on da news sure

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    No way will that happen. If the over 65s are vaccinated by then people will be taking off for summer vacations. They're not staying home this years. Especially since Leo and company won't be "staycationing". I doubt they did it last year.

Sure why not expunge some of your frustration on finding out

You'd be hung out to dry for sure like that mad lad from failte ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fact is there are lots of people booking flights on his website tonight after this!

Coupled with the enthusiasm from Boris about summer holidays- Ryanair will do just fine this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GT89 wrote:
    And how will young people passing the virus on to elderly people be a problem if the elderly people are vaccinated? Think about it? I'm sure you will fly on a Ryanair flight again as they are the 9/10 times cheaper than any other airline.

Vacation success relys the immune system. Old people have bad immune systems. The success of the vaccine on older people won't be high. Lots that have been vaccinated may still get covid. The vaccination program will only be successful when over 70 percent of the population has been vaccinated. Once we hit that amount the virus will slowly die out from herd immunity.

The old people being vaccinated now won't be safe until the end of the year when we have herd immunity.

Yup its called living in a free country with freedom of choice something you don't seem to have a problem with having taken away. I do have a problem with it as millions have died and gone through misery to get these freedoms for us. In a year these freedoms have just vanished.

Classic fudgery on numbers, not evey diabetic, not every cancer survivor etc etc is vulnerable and it is up to people to make their own mind up on what is an acceptable level of risk. But no you would prefer to lock everyone up......

And sorry I don't get your social welfare argument. Many people currently are working from home where they can so any vulnerable person could do this so we ain't chucking them all onto the social welfare bill. Perhaps some who can't work from home yes will need support but the cost of this compared to the money bleeding out at the moment is tiny and their jobs will go to others who can work so the societal bill is not increased. Ultimately though up to people to make an individual choice. Old fashioned libertarian me, something which seems to be rapidly becoming very unfashionable......

By the way a substantial number of your 200,000 diabetics will be over 65 so won't be joining the social welfare ranks anyway outside of pension entitlements they would have got anyway so stop massaging figures.

I have to agree with your last point mind you, I think it is clear that we ain't going to change course not until we all get vaccinated, far too many political and scientific careers won't countenance back tracking now so we will have to wait for their tediously slow vaccination program to work its way through and then the PR cover job is complete.

Just wonder what will happen then when we realise people are still dieing.....from respiratory viruses and old age.......

And you are making it up as you go along.

You "don't understand" about social welfare, and you are now assuming that all vulnerable people are working the types of jobs that allow them to work from home.

You have no idea what percentage of diabetics are over 65, so you just assume that a "substantial number" of them make up that number, and waffle on about "lost freedoms".

Now you've decided that "not all" diabetics or "not all" cancer survivors would be at risk. :rolleyes:

Pure waffle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Vacation success relys the immune system. Old people have bad immune systems. The success of the vaccine on older people won't be high. Lots that have been vaccinated may still get covid. The vaccination program will only be successful when over 70 percent of the population has been vaccinated. Once we hit that amount the virus will slowly die out from herd immunity.

The old people being vaccinated now won't be safe until the end of the year when we have herd immunity.

So why are we vaccinating vulnerable people first then. I thought the trials concluded that the shot was 90% effective in preventing illness.

Fact is there are lots of people booking flights on his website tonight after this!

Coupled with the enthusiasm from Boris about summer holidays- Ryanair will do just fine this year.

6 months of feck all flights, sure they will hardly even notice it

This is brilliant and a wake up call to the covidistas who have our country in s sinister grip for almost a year.

More please!!!

Let's take our country back!!!

I assume that you, much like mega gob O'Leary, have not so much as a 3rd level certificate in a science subject

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cml387 wrote: »
    I'll take Mr O'Leary's advice about dealing with a pandemic as seriously as I would take Tony Holohan's views on running an airline.

For the comparison to be valid Tony Holohan would need to have a succesful track record of dealing with a pandemic :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just heard on d news, that workplaces is the cause of latest cases of COVID 19, I have a question....since this COVID started, almost everything and anything has been blamed except the government managing COVID themselves with nursing homes and hospitals which is under their under control.

Anyway to date, what has been blamed
    Hospitality
    Workplaces
    International travellers

Trying to think what else.

I have a few more for you:
    • Berlin D2 Bar
    • Having a Pint outdoors
    • Exercising more than 5km from home.
    • Oireachtas Golf Society's dinner
    • Parties at RTE - Montrose
    • Leo's party at Farmleigh