Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Travel restrictions as outlined were based on what the UK would do. Johnson is mandating the same procedures, so Gov got a free pass to do the same now.

All our moaning and gnashing of teeth won’t change this now, but let’s hope it will not be for as long as Vlad predicts.

It is what it is, and resistance is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sorry for that. I feel desperately sorry for Irish people thousands of miles away who cannot travel home and feel even worse that most people in Ireland don't seem to care. Unfortunately I don't see things changing any time soon though.

All good pal.

This isn't my finest moment really. Weather is classic Vancouver crap, so I can't ride my motorbike right now, can't see friends in other parts of the province etc, then all this news.

Low is the term I would use :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

“Leo Varadkar said he had spoken to the chief medical officer, Dr Tony Holohan, and Dr Philip Nolan, of the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet), and they advised that pursuing a zero Covid strategy “probably wouldn’t work”.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

faceman wrote: »
    “Leo Varadkar said he had spoken to the chief medical officer, Dr Tony Holohan, and Dr Philip Nolan, of the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet), and they advised that pursuing a zero Covid strategy “probably wouldn’t work”.”

But Geraldine on Twitter said it's the only way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

faceman wrote: »

Leo and his band of Merry men have said loads of mad ideas were off the table or unimplementable only to completely change their minds a few days later.

Remember masks won’t be mandated ? 4 months later fines were in place.

Remember S. Harris back in March 2020 ? “people won’t sustain a lockdown for more than a few weeks” then 10 months later here we are.

Remember Sept 2020 Ro ro glynn “level 3 is sufficient at the moment” 3 days later LEVEL 5 entire country.

Remember MM in December? “2 or 5km rule won’t be introduced again”
    Following week 5km was introduced

Remember MM saying after after the last lockdown “non essential retail won’t be forcibly shut down again” 3 weeks later everything shut down.

Remember Tony saying “masks don’t sufficiently stop the spread of Cv19” haha

Remember NPHET last summer “there’s no real incidence of additional spread due to inward or outward international travel” then never they stopped contradicting this by shaming people for travelling abroad And now effectively banning foreign travel.

I could go on and on and on but it’d probably require a new thread before I’m finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Maybe someone should start a new thread highlighting all this mind changing and fact swapping mayhem from March 2020 to now. Just headlines and a snippet of the article. It’d make for gut busting reading surpassing father ted levels of hilarity.

That’s if the internet historical research hasn’t been censored at this point to render it futile.
    Nothing would surprise me.

Anyways. Rant over and I apologise for going off topic.

Jaysis, some hysteria in here last night!
    'Leo says no travel for a year'. Well, no he didn't say that at all.
    The laws are the same as they ever were, non essential travel is not permitted, the only difference is you may see some extra guards around the place, they are giving more fines.
    If you have essential reasons for being out, then no issues.

Quarantine for people coming into the country should have been done in the beginning, but if you have a negative test you won't need to.
    Nothing's changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Looks like the UK and Boris Johnson will be banning overseas Holiday trips this year at a meeting today and we will probably follow suit as part of the two island approach.

Connemara or Wexford so it is for our family,although looking at the prices it will be one week rather than a fortnights holidays.

Is there the possibility a bit like New Zealand-Australia one might be able to go on holidays in Wales or Cornwall??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

but if you have a negative test you won't need to.
    Friend of mine was in Dubai last weekend, got a negative test for the return flight, didn’t feel well on the flight and went into company imposed isolation upon return, tested positive the next day. Mild conditions so far. (not in ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The thought of spending another summer in this country fills me with dread. The weather is always rubbish, everything is expensive and you can't find anywhere that is reasonably priced. You are better off staying at home in your garden instead of being ripped off.

You'll probably spend most of the time in the hotel, as the pubs and restaurants will most likely still be shut. Such a fun time.

They want people to stay at home and holiday this year, but then they want to keep most things closed at the same time. Zero enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

The headlines this morning make grim reading, but I wouldn't panic yet, summer is months away, and a few months is a long time in a pandemic. Booked the hols as usual new years day for this July, we had done the same last year, and despite all the doom and gloom, and the fact that summer was far closer when it all broke, we still got to go, and even returned on a green list. Vaccinations are starting, a lot more people will have had it by then, and our country is too small to cut itself off completely. If they do decide to keep us locked up, I'm buying a boat : )

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Sadly it doesn't look like people in places like Canada will be able to come here in the next 12 months either way though.

Why not? Only South Africa and Brazil have mandatory hotel quarantine. From Leo's comments last night it seems unlikely they'll blanket enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

dalyboy wrote: »
    Leo and his band of Merry men have said loads of mad ideas were off the table or unimplementable only to completely change their minds a few days later.

Remember masks won’t be mandated ? 4 months later fines were in place.

Remember S. Harris back in March 2020 ? “people won’t sustain a lockdown for more than a few weeks” then 10 months later here we are.

Remember Sept 2020 Ro ro glynn “level 3 is sufficient at the moment” 3 days later LEVEL 5 entire country.

Remember MM in December? “2 or 5km rule won’t be introduced again”
    Following week 5km was introduced

Remember MM saying after after the last lockdown “non essential retail won’t be forcibly shut down again” 3 weeks later everything shut down.

Remember Tony saying “masks don’t sufficiently stop the spread of Cv19” haha

Remember NPHET last summer “there’s no real incidence of additional spread due to inward or outward international travel” then never they stopped contradicting this by shaming people for travelling abroad And now effectively banning foreign travel.

I could go on and on and on but it’d probably require a new thread before I’m finished.

It's almost like it's a moving fluid situation changing hourly.
    I think pronouncements that were made on the available evidence at the time should be rigidly adhered to no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Why not? Only South Africa and Brazil have mandatory hotel quarantine. From Leo's comments last night it seems unlikely they'll blanket enforce it.

Yeah exactly, people do realise, you can still come in from USA/Canada for essential reasons right?... My uncle and his wife came home from Chicago for 1 month for Christmas.

I'm flying on Monday and will let ye know if there is any 'extra' garda checkpoints or questions at the airport... Highly doubting there will be since there wasn't the last 4 times, but we will see how and ever.

Yeah exactly, people do realise, you can still come in from USA/Canada for essential reasons right?... My uncle and his wife came home from Chicago for 1 month for Christmas.

I'm flying on Monday and will let ye know if there is any 'extra' garda checkpoints or questions at the airport... Highly doubting there will be since there wasn't the last 4 times, but we will see how and ever.

Doesn't even have to be essential reasons. Anyone can still come to Ireland.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m going away in September/October once I have the vaccine before then which I expect I will

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

RobitTV wrote: »
    The thought of spending another summer in this country fills me with dread. The weather is always rubbish, everything is expensive and you can't find anywhere that is reasonably priced. You are better off staying at home in your garden instead of being ripped off.

You'll probably spend most of the time in the hotel, as the pubs and restaurants will most likely still be shut. Such a fun time.

They want people to stay at home and holiday this year, but then they want to keep most things closed at the same time. Zero enjoyment.

Whilst things look bad now I think the mood music will have changed utterly by May

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Whilst things look bad now I think the mood music will have changed utterly by May

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gael23 wrote: »
    How so?

I am just trying to be optimistic :P

I think many factors will come together particularly the seasonal factor on the continent.

Hopefully we will have about 40-50% of adults vaxxed by then aswell.

I expect there'll be lots more optimism about and EU travel will be possible from June.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Looks like the UK and Boris Johnson will be banning overseas Holiday trips this year at a meeting today and we will probably follow suit as part of the two island approach.

Connemara or Wexford so it is for our family,although looking at the prices it will be one week rather than a fortnights holidays.

Is there the possibility a bit like New Zealand-Australia one might be able to go on holidays in Wales or Cornwall??

Foreign holidays will happen this year. We are only in January at the moment so loads of time to get a foreign holiday in. I will be getting a foreign holiday in,dont care where it is. Cancelled 3 trips last year and i aint cancelling another one this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

Gael23 wrote: »
    How so?
    • Jan - Mar lockdowns will have had an effect
    • Vaccines will be starting to have an effect
    • Seasonal improvement in case numbers
    • Finally, nothing to do with Covid, but a lot more sunlight will mean that we won't get depressed by things that would depress us in January

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I don't understand the frenzy over the last few days regarding travel. Some people aren't going to give it a rest until the country has total quarantine for every last single arrival, even if they arrive with a negative covid certificate.

The case figures are now declining and going in the right direction. But the media are now 100% focused on everything that is related to travel. Despite travel contributing to almost none of the new cases. It's literally all community spread from Christmas gatherings.

Travel seems to be the latest scapegoat and bandwagon to jump on. Deflecting from the government and NPHET failures to protect care homes and save lives in there and plus the complete failure to invest in a decent health service.

Travel is not a significant problem as regards to spreading the virus, as the government have now admitted. But they seem to keep bashing travel at the same time.

Can we PLEASE focus on the real issues of the day. Stopping community spread and protecting care homes.

At least Leo and Michael Martin seem to echo those sentiments though ^^

MM came out today and said as much. It is really bizarre how the ban international travel talk has ramped up, and not just in Ireland. You'd swear we had got to zero covid and the big bad planes brought in a fresh load.

Everyone knows it was caused by community transmission over Christmas. Every single case I've ever heard of personally has been caused by family and friends gatherings. They really dropped the ball in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Travel seems to be the latest scapegoat and bandwagon to jump on. Deflecting from the government and NPHET failures to protect care homes and save lives in there and plus the complete failure to invest in a decent health service.Travel is not a significant problem as regards to spreading the virus, as the government have now admitted. But they seem to keep bashing travel at the same time.Can we PLEASE focus on the real issues of the day. Stopping community spread and protecting care homes.

Do you know anyone taking about the M&B home scandals?
    About Leo the Leak Varadkar's sending state secrets to his pals in the medical profession?
    About the disaster at the ports due to Brexit complications?

No? Well... let's all talk about a few bus loads of passengers who are most likely not seeding a Virus which is already here in huge numbers....

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I don't understand the frenzy over the last few days regarding travel. Some people aren't going to give it a rest until the country has total quarantine for every last single arrival, even if they arrive with a negative covid certificate.

The case figures are now declining and going in the right direction. But the media are now 100% focused on everything that is related to travel. Despite travel contributing to almost none of the new cases. It's literally all community spread from Christmas gatherings.

Travel seems to be the latest scapegoat and bandwagon to jump on. Deflecting from the government and NPHET failures to protect care homes and save lives in there and plus the complete failure to invest in a decent health service.

Travel is not a significant problem as regards to spreading the virus, as the government have now admitted. But they seem to keep bashing travel at the same time.

Can we PLEASE focus on the real issues of the day. Stopping community spread and protecting care homes.

THIS. latest scapegoat for opposition and media to get onboard with. Total distraction from the mess the govt have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

I went on a "staycation" last summer when the numbers were low and they were desperately trying to promote tourism within Ireland. By 5 o'clock the towns were dead, every shop closed, no pubs, touristy places all closed. All we could do was walk around the town in circles until our booking for dinner at 8 of which we were rushed and out the door by 9:30. With nothing to do we went back to the hotel room. It was nice to get away but it was expensive and by the fourth day we gave up and went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You have zero evidence that travel is not a significant problem.
    The below is one example...from a pretty much empty plane.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40213163.html

It is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted at this stage though, the government have made a mess of things, but people going on non essential holidays are not helping, there is a reason why New Zealand and Australia have introduced such tough quarantines for travellers

gmisk wrote: »
    You have zero evidence that travel is not a significant problem.
    The below is one example...from a pretty much empty plane.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40213163.html

You can do the exact same analysis on any train or bus in this country, or even the bloody queue in the groceries.

You can do the exact same analysis on any train or bus in this country, or even the bloody queue in the groceries.

Yes on the train or bus
    No in the supermarket queue
    A planes air is safer thanks to the hepa filter
    Its being bunched up is the problem there

• Advertisement

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Yes on the train or bus
    No in the supermarket queue

"How one trip to the groceries resulted in 5,000 cases"

Mary had covid, she put her covidy hands on a sliced pan giving it the squeeze test. It failed the test, she replaced it, with new bonus covid.

John picked up the covid bread.

John's whole family of 6 later that day got covid.

John's daughter had a party for her daughter. That party had 6 people. All those got covid, and all the kids, and their classes, and schools.

John went to a restaurant over Christmas. They all got covid.

Those articles are horsesh!t and pop up from time to time.

Yes, covid is very easy to transfer. Everywhere. Not just on fvckin planes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement