Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

theguzman wrote: »
    There is an incredibly sick cohort of people taking absolute joy at the attempts to stop all travel out of the country. The sick begrudging mentality of Ireland is allive and well it seems, the German notion of schadenfreude doesn't even get close to it, the same sick people who drop comments if you bought a new car etc.

I would routinely spend 2 or more months travelling abroad each year and the typical snide remarks you hear are disgusting and the sort of comments I got in November for taking one week in the Costa del Sol, Malaga were sickening, you'd swear I had spent a month in Bora Bora. The Government won't stop me from travelling that is for sure, I have the money and resources so its none of their business on what I do with my life.

There is an entire culture of morons who never went 2 feet from a cow-pat or if they did they think that Malaga drinking in an Irish pub for a fortnight is the height of sophistication. My earlier trip there was my first trip there in my entire life to the Spanish mainland and I rented a car and explored as much as possible, something the lemmings would never even attempt, i sampled Spanish food, it is good and I never saw an another Irish person thankfully.

Well you see, most people actually do travel at least once per year. If you are going to the Costa del Sol then good for you - but it's not exactly the height of exoticism or intellectual endeavour outside the scope of mere mortals now is it? It's probably 40 Euro return flight on Ryanair. You're probably actually not as unique or special, or in as exclusive a cohort, as you might think.

What people might be a little annoyed at is selfish people who don't mind pissing on the sacrifices of others.

The name of the thread is ‘Will you travel’. If people Talking about travelling or contemplating it offends you this ain’t the thread for you.

There is no issue talking about travel.

Talking about breaking restrictions, or encouraging others to do that, is a different thing.

I have tentative plans to travel to meet a friend in October. I won't go if restrictions haven't been lifted. There is more chance of restrictions being lifted though if everyone behaves and pulls together from now to then.

There is no issue talking about travel.

Talking about breaking restrictions, or encouraging others to do that, is a different thing.

I have tentative plans to travel to meet a friend in October. I won't go if restrictions haven't been lifted. There is more chance of restrictions being lifted though if everyone behaves and pulls together from now to then.

Fair point.

Lets not throw the essential travellers under the bus as well though or start mass a panic because the second in command of the country mentioned a lot of hypotethical possibilities for the future

:)
    I meant if stopped and threatened with fine for being at the airport you may just be on your way to visit a grave........which is allowed!

I didn’t mean you belong in a graveyard for traveling! I’ve been in the Canaries for the last 2 weeks! Enjoy your trip.

Why da **** would you need to go via the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭josip

What happens if you didn't intend traveling abroad, but you went for a spin around the airport to see what was happening and you suddenly found yourself on a plane heading off somewhere?
    Surely that would only be a €100 fine.

How many on here didn't intend going out for the night, and only went out for a couple of pints, but ended up crawling out of a taxi at 3am ?

• Advertisement

Fair point.

Lets not throw the essential travellers under the bus as well though or start mass a panic because the second in command of the country mentioned a lot of hypotethical possibilities for the future

Yeah of course. It is implicit that I am referring to non-essential.

I would travel (if no pandemic) much earlier but we have chosen October because we hope that things will be allowed then. I haven't actually booked yet but might do so soon enough. Flights are refundable though I think. Or at least changeable. I last saw my friend about one year ago and we had planned to meet in a couple of different European cities over last Summer. Obviously that didn't happen.

So it's kind of annoying that, if you are on here and express an option that people should obey restrictions, that you are greeted with snide comments from others who put themselves in some kind of special "traveller" bracket and make sneery comments about miserable others delighting in their being blocked from traveling. Travel has probably hit everyone under 50. Nobody likes it begin curtailed

Does anyone else find it infuriating that the government continuously makes statements such as "We can't introduce mandatory quarantine now, because if we did that now, we'd have to have it for a year and it would ruin Christmas 2021"? Like, they're the government. Introducing and removing laws is literally their job. Why would they "have" to keep it for a full year if they introduced it now? Like so many other government policies, they could pass a new law to remove it just as quickly as they passed one to introduce it.

The argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Implying that introducing a law now hamstrings them into keeping it for longer than they want is an utterly nonsensical abdication of responsibility - you're the government FFS. Govern.

Probably for practical reasons. If they decide to go down that route then it probably means that moves in another direction are curtailed. There might not be any point in half doing something. So making that choice might mean putting your eggs in that particular basket.

There might also be contractual or logistical considerations in terms of putting infrastructure and contracts in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The 14 day quarantine at home can’t be enforced can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Does anyone actually understand today’s travel restriction tweet ?
    It seems to jumbled in with “a level 5 restriction extension ” AND a 5km fine increase announcement.

Then at the end a bit of a that seems to suggest that anyone who is “caught” with intent of travelling will be fined €100 or more for committing this crime.

I don’t think I’ve ever read a more vague announcement and considering they’ve just all but placed every Irish citizen under country arrest I’m surprised it’s not a lot clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Probably for practical reasons. If they decide to go down that route then it probably means that moves in another direction are curtailed. There might not be any point in half doing something. So making that choice might mean putting your eggs in that particular basket.

There might also be contractual or logistical considerations in terms of putting infrastructure and contracts in place.

I'd argue that every word of this is symptomatic of Ireland's utterly lethargic and inefficient approach to doing pretty much anything. The government should be above getting ideologically hamstrung in this manner. They should take whatever action they need to take, and if they need to change it, change it. That's their job. It's what we pay them for. The idea of putting ones eggs in a particular basket policy wise when it comes to a consistently evolving acute crisis such as COVID is insane.

Not having a go at you by the way, I absolutely agree that this is why they're doing it. I just think it makes them utterly lazy leaders. Like most things in this country, they won't do it right because doing it right is complicated and requires more work to implement. God forbid.

Realistically, governments should be able to put in place temporary solutions such as this to national or international crises, without worrying about contractual end dates etc. If they can't, then that represents a failure of the entire public service system to operate in a flexible and efficient manner. This is far from unique to the current situation but it drives me up the wall every single time this is the reason Ireland hits a brick wall in trying to implement good, forward thinking policy decisions.

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »
    It seems to jumbled in with “a level 5 restriction extension ” AND a 5km fine increase announcement.

Then at the end a bit of a that seems to suggest that anyone who is “caught” with intent of travelling will be fined €100 or more for committing this crime.

I don’t think I’ve ever read a more vague announcement and considering they’ve just all but placed every Irish citizen under country arrest I’m surprised it’s not a lot clearer.

I’d like to know how they plan to enforce this

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

dalyboy wrote: »

It's quite clear here. You should not be travelling outside your 5km for any non-essential reason, travel abroad for holidays is obviously included in that.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354102672593326080

Looks like travel restrictions will be in play for quite a few months yet.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354103777431851009

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Why da **** would you need to go via the airport?

Alas it was an attempt at humour, not my finest attempt granted.

Looks like the country is now closed, possibly till 2022 judging by comments last night which were not dropped lightly on the CB show.
    Glad I got away when I did.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's quite clear here. You should not be travelling outside your 5km for any non-essential reason, travel abroad for holidays is obviously included in that.

Where would travel abroad to visit mammy/granny fit into that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Yeah of course. It is implicit that I am referring to non-essential.

I would travel (if no pandemic) much earlier but we have chosen October because we hope that things will be allowed then. I haven't actually booked yet but might do so soon enough. Flights are refundable though I think. Or at least changeable. I last saw my friend about one year ago and we had planned to meet in a couple of different European cities over last Summer. Obviously that didn't happen.

So it's kind of annoying that, if you are on here and express an option that people should obey restrictions, that you are greeted with snide comments from others who put themselves in some kind of special "traveller" bracket and make sneery comments about miserable others delighting in their being blocked from traveling. Travel has probably hit everyone under 50. Nobody likes it begin curtailed

I think the issue in this particular thread has changed somewhat in the past weeks(ish).

4/5 weeks ago and beyond, overseas travel from Ireland was pretty much advice not to do it - self isolating, etc was a request and nothing in force.

Now it has changed somewhat with fines being introduced on the spot for folks going to the airport for non essential travel like moving cross county.

Suppose the difference I found 4/5 weeks ago that it was merely advice from a weak government who had made a mess of the whole situation to begin with and continue to do so, so what benefit is their advice to me at that time? They continously ignored advice from expert opinions in NPHET and we became one of the worst countries affected by Covid in the world. For that reason, I decided to travel abroad, booked a one way flight well in advance of level 5 and got out of here for a prolonged period of time.

There are plenty like myself who decided to do it and fair play to them I find, it's a slightly different story currently because is it really essential, maybe it is - all down to personal scenario I suppose. Many may have no fixed address so leaving the country anyway.

The other side of the coin is 1/2 week holidays and people just not bothering to self isolate when they return. I've seen it on social media and some just don't bother. It's wrong and potentially dangerous and yes this is the reason it did spread around Christmas time with many returning home. Stupidity if you will.

So there is two sides to this and I think it's unfair to bundle one into the other, just my opinion whilst I do agree with your points.

Travel IMO isn't safe but realistically nowhere is, some less so than elsewhere. I don't necessarily agree with mandatory quarantining for all arrivals back into Ireland at the travelers expense (honestly because it could potentially affect me) but I understand it because you can't teach stupid. There will be plenty who just won't bother self isolating for 10/14 days which unfortunately ruins it for the rest like many things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭HBC08

theguzman wrote: »
    There is an incredibly sick cohort of people taking absolute joy at the attempts to stop all travel out of the country. The sick begrudging mentality of Ireland is allive and well it seems, the German notion of schadenfreude doesn't even get close to it, the same sick people who drop comments if you bought a new car etc.

I would routinely spend 2 or more months travelling abroad each year and the typical snide remarks you hear are disgusting and the sort of comments I got in November for taking one week in the Costa del Sol, Malaga were sickening, you'd swear I had spent a month in Bora Bora. The Government won't stop me from travelling that is for sure, I have the money and resources so its none of their business on what I do with my life.

There is an entire culture of morons who never went 2 feet from a cow-pat or if they did they think that Malaga drinking in an Irish pub for a fortnight is the height of sophistication. My earlier trip there was my first trip there in my entire life to the Spanish mainland and I rented a car and explored as much as possible, something the lemmings would never even attempt, i sampled Spanish food, it is good and I never saw an another Irish person thankfully.

You're an inspiration.
    I wish I had the level of wanderlust to travel to Spain and rent a car.
    It's clear as you stated in an earlier rant than travel truly is in your DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Do you think there will be any improvement in March regarding the lockdown? I'm not certain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

gmisk wrote: »
    Why would the HSE test you if you don't have symptoms?

Things could change between now and June I would say.

I agree a lot could change, if it hasn’t after an extended lockdown period and something that resembles a reasonably effective vaccine rollout we’ll be in deep sh1t

Lots of people with made up symptoms ring for a test for various reasons

I'd argue that every word of this is symptomatic of Ireland's utterly lethargic and inefficient approach to doing pretty much anything. The government should be above getting ideologically hamstrung in this manner. They should take whatever action they need to take, and if they need to change it, change it. That's their job. It's what we pay them for. The idea of putting ones eggs in a particular basket policy wise when it comes to a consistently evolving acute crisis such as COVID is insane.

Not having a go at you by the way, I absolutely agree that this is why they're doing it. I just think it makes them utterly lazy leaders. Like most things in this country, they won't do it right because doing it right is complicated and requires more work to implement. God forbid.

Realistically, governments should be able to put in place temporary solutions such as this to national or international crises, without worrying about contractual end dates etc. If they can't, then that represents a failure of the entire public service system to operate in a flexible and efficient manner. This is far from unique to the current situation but it drives me up the wall every single time this is the reason Ireland hits a brick wall in trying to implement good, forward thinking policy decisions.

I think you may be misunderstanding or else over-simplifying.

They need to come up with a consistent approach - not chopping and changing. The UK wanted herd immunity, then they finally closed the pubs when Macron told Boris to do it, then they stopped mass testing and tracing people, then they want quarantine again.

If the government here want to go down the road of quarantining people then they are wasting their time starting to do so unless they are at least open to continuing it. That means having the infrastructure in place. They will need to contract hotels to provide the lodgings and food and to get the logistical teams in place to manage it. The people may be billed for it, but the government will have identified official hotels you can quarantine in, and will have agreed fees with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭HBC08

In a fit of optimism about 10 days ago I booked a week in Portugal, things were looking up I thought at the time (from a selfish point of view it influenced my decision that as a healthcare worker I should be vaccinated in a few weeks)
    The apartment is likely refundable as I go there a couple of times a year and kinda know the owner,the flight with Ryanair is supposedly changeable.
    It's a bit dissappointing and the third time I've had to pull out of a trip (may and Sept last year aswell)

My view is a lot can happen in a few months and people need to calm the **** down.

I dont think Leo helped matters on tv last night and I think he needs to be a bit clearer so as not to feed the Twitter hysteria which can be seen creeping on here a bit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The name of the thread is ‘Will you travel’. If people Talking about travelling or contemplating it offends you this ain’t the thread for you.

Why would I be offended?

You are right - WILL you travel - not "I did travel and went all over the place and I did - while also sticking the boot into some imaginary stereotype that get jealous about the O'Jonses cars."

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

The thoughts of spending another summer locked into Ireland is utterly depressing.

I went to Portugal for a week in August and having the ability to relax in the sun and forget about the constant negative outlook and negative news was immense. It's a feeling I am now craving to be completely honest. I've a flight booked to Mallorca for a week at the end of May. As long as the flight goes I'll be on it.

Eamon Ryan's comments today.... you'd be mad to listen to him. He's a total 'shur god love us' case who is sent out to waffle random nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I think you may be misunderstanding or else over-simplifying.

They need to come up with a consistent approach - not chopping and changing. The UK wanted herd immunity, then they finally closed the pubs when Macron told Boris to do it, then they stopped mass testing and tracing people, then they want quarantine again.

If the government here want to go down the road of quarantining people then they are wasting their time starting to do so unless they are at least open to continuing it. That means having the infrastructure in place. They will need to contract hotels to provide the lodgings and food and to get the logistical teams in place to manage it. The people may be billed for it, but the government will have identified official hotels you can quarantine in, and will have agreed fees with those.

I understand all of this, but I don't see why that means they can't announce it now on a provisional basis for say six months and then review in six months, as opposed to saying "we have to do it for a full year even if we achieve herd immunity before then, so we're not going to do it at all"?

It seems extraordinarily lazy governance. Yes, it would require strategic planning, negotiations, etc. That's what the government is paid to do. Not to say "this is too complicated to figure out in a soundbite, so we're just not going to do it at all".

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

km991148 wrote: »
    Why would I be offended?

You are right - WILL you travel - not "I did travel and went all over the place and I did - while also sticking the boot into some imaginary stereotype that get jealous about the O'Jonses cars."

Oh I get you now, we’re only allowed talk about future tense. I haven’t seen any stinking the boot in that you’re talking about either.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

All you have to do is have a negative test before you return to Ireland

Lots of people with made up symptoms ring for a test for various reasons

Lots of people do. It could be argued that they are selfish fuks. Doubly so if it's to show they are clear after a wee holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Have you travelled by plane recently or are you just making things up?

I've flown four times in the past two months and never felt safer. There was certainly no bunching in queues and I wasn't forced to breath anyone else's air.

Way more bunching in Dunnes every time I do my shopping. Air travel is not the problem.

12 pandemic flights, absolutely fine and to be honest a pleasure.

A trip to Lidl on the other hand..

Oh I get you now, we’re only allowed talk about future tense. I haven’t seen any stinking the boot in that you’re talking about either.

The poster had a moan about some fantasy stereotype of jealous folks. They then went on to boast about a holiday during the pandemic. I took beef with moaning about one stereotype while living up to another.

Generally if I'm taking the piss with any rules (I don't mean COVID here, a generalisation) I don't go telling everyone about it, especially when it's likely to annoy the Shi!t out if everyone who decided not to travel (during a pandemic where human contact and travelling is a know cause). That to me smacks of sticking the boot in.

Now of course you can argue all day about if you believe the virus is a thing and if curtailing travel really does stop it and the competency of the powers that be. Fine, but you've got to understand there are a lot of people that do believe in not travelling etc and have made sacrifices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Completely irresponsible for him to say things like that at a point where they want the public to adhere to protocols.

Just imagine what is going through peoples minds now after reading or listening to that..."Ah here, why bother thing, if what I am doing now is not going to help my plans for summer of CHRISTMAS, then forget it".

The gov need a PR firm to handle the comms for this, they are making a right balls of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement