Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,405 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Jesus. I have a flight to Colombia on Friday. Should I try get a travel voucher from the website I booked on or try go ahead with it?
    Is it essential you go?
    I would probably personally get a refund or travel voucher.
    At the very least you will have to have a pcr test going probably and coming back? But if they lump Colombia etc in with Brazil you might be spending two weeks in a hotel when you are back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

What Leo said tonight on Primetime could honestly tip people over the edge. Very damaging and worrying times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,405 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am flying next week also. I am still going to travel to the airport, they can't stop me from moving away for a few months..
    They probably can't, but they can at the very least ensure you have a negative test before you come back in...or force you to quarantine in a hotel for two weeks when you are back.

I have a 3k honeymoon voucher to use by the end of the year in italy which looks to be going down the tubes by looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

gmisk wrote: »
    Is it essential you go?
    I would probably personally get a refund or travel voucher.
    At the very least you will have to have a pcr test going probably and coming back? But if they lump Colombia etc in with Brazil you might be spending two weeks in a hotel when you are back

No not essential reason. In getting a PCR test done by randox on Wednesday and I plan to get one in colombia then again by randox in Dublin upon returning.

It's all up in the air if I can even make it to the airport with the checkpoints then rule changes to make me quarantine in a hotel for a couple of grand...would want to be the shelburne hotel at that price ffs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

RobitTV wrote: »
    What Leo said tonight on Primetime could honestly tip people over the edge. Very damaging and worrying times.

Shouldn't put too much stock into what Leo says. He loves a bit of a kite flying and posturing from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

RobitTV wrote: »

A stark warning from Leo that we don’t want or need to go there. He’s done the research, armchair pundits haven’t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I am getting my PCR test done in Boots on Saturday and flying on Monday. I'll have my hopefully negative test to show the Gardai if I am stopped, and explain that I am moving away for a few months, I presume I won't be turned around and told to go home? I thought they cannot turn me around anyway, not sure.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Wrong
    Wrong
    Wrong

That’s nonsense as usual, the only country you can fly into without quarantine is on a green flight from NZ. And even then it’s state dependent WA will still require green flight arrivals to quarantine.

If you fly in on a red flight from NZ everyone quarantines.

If you work for the government you could have got an exemption to Quarantine at home, if you are travelling for a essential business that is connected to the government you could also quarantine at home...these numbers were very small and this exemption is currently under review.

People like Matt Damon could get exemption to quarantine in large rented house provided that security was provided (at a cost) that monitored there was no breeches.

There’s currently a limit to 1505 arrivals per week until 15th Feb, previously it was 6500 per week.

There’s currently a 37,000 Australian citizens and residents waiting to return.

So you actually can travel from a green country

So you actually can travel to Australia

So you actually can be exempt from quarantine

Sorry, what part is "wrong, wrong, wrong"?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

MarkY91 wrote: »
    No not essential reason. In getting a PCR test done by randox on Wednesday and I plan to get one in colombia then again by randox in Dublin upon returning.

It's all up in the air if I can even make it to the airport with the checkpoints then rule changes to make me quarantine in a hotel for a couple of grand...would want to be the shelburne hotel at that price ffs.

Checkpoints won't stop you, you'll get a €100 fine at worst.

No hotel quarantine unless you arrive back without a negative PCR test or come from a black listed country like Brazil and south Africa.

Leo made it clear it's only being discussed and will take time to implement (mandatory quarantine for all).

Go!

Shut the border and let's get this thing done.

How do you do that on a small island that does not produce PPE amongst many other things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

, I presume I won't be turned around and told to go home? I thought they cannot turn me around anyway, not sure.

Just a fine, can't stop you.

https://twitter.com/TonightVMTV/status/1353828945028931586

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

faceman wrote: »
    A stark warning from Leo that we don’t want or need to go there. He’s done the research, armchair pundits haven’t

That is one gigantic heap of bullshyt.

What he's saying is "it's a lot of work, and we don't want to do that".

Which is all fine and well until you consider that the only fooking alternative is to keep living like this.

It's like taking crazy pills trying to convince people of the right thing to do. Just absolute insanity!

"We don't want to go there", as opposed to what?? Living like this?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He's fairly fear mongering to be fair.

None of the public health measures Government have introduced so far have been for "at least the next year", then why would this one have to be? None of the public health experts have suggested that it needs to be "a year or else nothing".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't hack this. What country will take me where I don't have to quarenteen for 2 weeks?

Dont say the UK :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How do you do that on a small island that does not produce PPE amongst many other things?

Not to mention FDI which employed hundreds of thousands of people directly and probably as many indirectly

We are a open economy heavily reliant on international trade for basic necessities

We are part of Europe and the free movement of labour is key to that

Amirani wrote: »
    He's fairly fear mongering to be fair.

None of the public health measures Government have introduced so far have been for "at least the next year", then why would this one have to be? None of the public health experts have suggested that it needs to be "a year or else nothing".

NZ and OZ travel ban are coming up to a year in 2 months

Also he answered that on the show

Not to mention FDI which employed hundreds of thousands of people directly and probably as many indirectly

We are a open economy heavily reliant on international trade for basic necessities

We are part of Europe and the free movement of labour is key to that

Yeah yeah, it's all "impossible".

We'll see what tune is singing when we're in lockdown in September facing into another winter with still no iota of a clue as to what to do.

Gradius wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, it's all "impossible".

We'll see what tune is singing when we're in lockdown in September facing into another winter with still no iota of a clue as to what to do.

We won’t be in a lockdown in September even if travel reopens to 2019 levels tomorrow. Once vaccines hit risk groups, hospital admissions will plummet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I can't hack this. What country will take me where I don't have to quarenteen for 2 weeks?

Brazil with a valid PCR test, you would need to spend 2 weeks in involuntary quarantine after returning.

We won’t be in a lockdown in September even if travel reopens to 2019 levels tomorrow. Once vaccines hit risk groups, hospital admissions will plummet

Okay, doc.

Sure by the end of the summer there'll be a vaccine and it'll all be grand. Oh wait, that's what was said last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Dubai, Spain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, what started as a grey and wet Monday over here in Vancouver has gotten progressively worse as the day went on.

This is the longest I have been without being home, had hoped to maybe chance Easter, but with all this news of slow vaccine numbers and now these reduced travel restrictions etc, my morale is really low.

Gonna have a few drops of whiskey tonight and watch some Father Ted, hopefully some better news in the form of a nice surprise isn't far away.

Here is hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'll be joining you. Going to have some tasty rum soon with lots of ice. Try and have a good time at home while the world continues to collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fcuk it, might as well get full value for our summer PCR tests.
    I've just booked ferries and we'll head off for 2 full months.

Gradius wrote: »
    Okay, doc.

Sure by the end of the summer there'll be a vaccine and it'll all be grand. Oh wait, that's what was said last year.

I’m so confused by your post :pac:

Jesus, what started as a grey and wet Monday over here in Vancouver has gotten progressively worse as the day went on.

This is the longest I have been without being home, had hoped to maybe chance Easter, but with all this news of slow vaccine numbers and now these reduced travel restrictions etc, my morale is really low.

Gonna have a few drops of whiskey tonight and watch some Father Ted, hopefully some better news in the form of a nice surprise isn't far away.

Here is hoping.

I have family in Canada too in a similar boat. Here’s the thing, no one in Ireland cares about you, your family, your circumstances and the impact this is having. They think zero covid fixes everything without realising what it entails. As long as people can meet friends in the pub it’s all they care about.

I have family in Canada too in a similar boat. Here’s the thing, no one in Ireland cares about you, your family, your circumstances and the impact this is having. They think zero covid fixes everything without realising what it entails. As long as people can meet friends in the pub it’s all they care about.

Been seeing some of that on Twitter, and while I know my level of patience for this stuff is low, it all kicked off when that bloody picture of a concert in NZ was shared today. Once that went around, it was like Christmas for the Zero Covid brigade.

Of course, the minute you ask them how to do it with the boarder in NI, you get called all sorts.

Good in principle, unrealistic in the real world.

I am close to becoming one of the "Ah sure whatever, I need to live my life for Christs sake" people, and I never thought I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Got it in one.

Sadly it doesn't look like people in places like Canada will be able to come here in the next 12 months either way though. The vaccine rollout is painfully slow, some of the vaccines are far less effective than originally thought and the virus appears to be able to mutate in a manner that means that the vaccines won't work anyway.

I would suggest forgetting about holidays, flights and international travel for the rest of 2021 at least.

Got it in one.

Sadly it doesn't look like people in places like Canada will be able to come here in the next 12 months either way though. The vaccine rollout is painfully slow, some of the vaccines are far less effective than originally thought and the virus appears to be able to mutate in a manner that means that the vaccines won't work anyway.

I would suggest forgetting about holidays, flights and international travel for the rest of 2021 at least.

This hasn't been confirmed yet, and on a day like today, I must ask you to not post that :D

In all seriousness though, it is indeed the rollout of the vaccine that is hampering things. We just got word today in BC that the rollout will be super slow until February.

I think that news alone is driving people over the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This hasn't been confirmed yet, and on a day like today, I must ask you to not post that :D

In all seriousness though, it is indeed the rollout of the vaccine that is hampering things. We just got word today in BC that the rollout will be super slow until February.

I think that news alone is driving people over the edge.

Sorry for that. I feel desperately sorry for Irish people thousands of miles away who cannot travel home and feel even worse that most people in Ireland don't seem to care. Unfortunately I don't see things changing any time soon though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement