Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's so stupid that the focus is on travel restrictions when Leo Varadkar and MM have admitted themselves that there is very low cases that have come from international travel.

I'm not sure where they came up with that figure a 100% jump from one flight and 60% of all cases in October being from one strain would suggest differently to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'm not sure where they came up with that figure a 100% jump from one flight and 60% of all cases in October being from one strain would suggest differently to me

I don't know why Leo Varadkar and MM said that last nght/today then.

I don't know why Leo Varadkar and MM said that last nght/today then.

The same politicians that created a green list and then subsequently advised against travel, the same politicians that said NPHET were wrong to suggest lv5 lockdown at the start of October only to do it in mid October, the same politicians that opened restaurants at the start of December against NPHET advice

See a pattern here?

spodoinkle wrote: »
    I cant wait to go to Lanzorote in May, my wife and I will have the vaccine by then, happy days

I don't think I'll be traveling abroad this year, the risk of it going tits up and me losing the money would be too great...

What would you do if mandatory quarantine is in place in May for all inbound travelers? Are you able to extend your annual leave by 2 weeks in a worst case scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

gmisk wrote: »
    You have zero evidence that travel is not a significant problem.
    The below is one example...from a pretty much empty plane.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40213163.html

It is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted at this stage though, the government have made a mess of things, but people going on non essential holidays are not helping, there is a reason why New Zealand and Australia have introduced such tough quarantines for travellers

That irishexaminer article doesn't prove people were infected on the plane it shows people were allowed in from a highly infected area without screening or testing. People coming in now have to have been tested yet this isn't enough for some, they want ports and airports closed.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'll be traveling abroad this year, the risk of it going tits up and me losing the money would be too great...

What would you do if mandatory quarantine is in place in May for all inbound travelers? Are you able to extend your annual leave by 2 weeks in a worst case scenario?

Fully flexible refundable hotel/apartment rates are your friend..

There will be plenty of people still travelling I am sure. Well, the ones that are travelling to 'escape' lockdown. Including myself.

I'm perfectly happy to pay €140 for a boots PCR test in order to ensure I can get away for a couple of months. It's so stupid that the focus is on travel restrictions when Leo Varadkar and MM have admitted themselves that there is very low cases that have come from international travel.

It's not illegal to travel abroad and I won't have anyone trying to tell me it is, I am perfectly within my own rights to travel safely, getting a hopefully negative PCR test before I travel, wearing mask, sanitizing , etc. If the Gardai fine me €100 that's fair enough, however they cannot stop me from getting on the flight so that's fine.

Dardistown Cemetery is beside the airport- some lovely graves in there worth a visit before you fly;)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

I know plenty of people who are still awaiting refunds from last summer's disaster but if it's a risk you're willing to take then more power to you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Do you need a PCR Test for travelling to Spain. I'm getting conflicting messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Do you need a PCR Test for travelling to Spain. I'm getting conflicting messages.

Yes.

Best website for up to date info on traveling I find is https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

• Advertisement

Yes Spain require all travellers to have a PCR test within either 72/96 hours

Dardistown Cemetery is beside the airport- some lovely graves in there worth a visit before you fly;)

oh yawn, stop with the guilt-tripping, nothing wrong with me travelling after getting negative covid test, and even a 2nd antigen one just to be safe

oh yawn, stop with the guilt-tripping, nothing wrong with me travelling after getting negative covid test, and even a 2nd antigen one just to be safe

:)
    I meant if stopped and threatened with fine for being at the airport you may just be on your way to visit a grave........which is allowed!

I didn’t mean you belong in a graveyard for traveling! I’ve been in the Canaries for the last 2 weeks! Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There is an incredibly sick cohort of people taking absolute joy at the attempts to stop all travel out of the country. The sick begrudging mentality of Ireland is allive and well it seems, the German notion of schadenfreude doesn't even get close to it, the same sick people who drop comments if you bought a new car etc.

I would routinely spend 2 or more months travelling abroad each year and the typical snide remarks you hear are disgusting and the sort of comments I got in November for taking one week in the Costa del Sol, Malaga were sickening, you'd swear I had spent a month in Bora Bora. The Government won't stop me from travelling that is for sure, I have the money and resources so its none of their business on what I do with my life.

There is an entire culture of morons who never went 2 feet from a cow-pat or if they did they think that Malaga drinking in an Irish pub for a fortnight is the height of sophistication. My earlier trip there was my first trip there in my entire life to the Spanish mainland and I rented a car and explored as much as possible, something the lemmings would never even attempt, i sampled Spanish food, it is good and I never saw an another Irish person thankfully.

theguzman wrote: »
    There is an incredibly sick cohort of people taking absolute joy at the attempts to stop all travel out of the country. The sick begrudging mentality of Ireland is allive and well it seems, the German notion of schadenfreude doesn't even get close to it, the same sick people who drop comments if you bought a new car etc.

I would routinely spend 2 or more months travelling abroad each year and the typical snide remarks you hear are disgusting and the sort of comments I got in November for taking one week in the Costa del Sol, Malaga were sickening, you'd swear I had spent a month in Bora Bora. The Government won't stop me from travelling that is for sure, I have the money and resources so its none of their business on what I do with my life.

There is an entire culture of morons who never went 2 feet from a cow-pat or if they did they think that Malaga drinking in an Irish pub for a fortnight is the height of sophistication. My earlier trip there was my first trip there in my entire life to the Spanish mainland and I rented a car and explored as much as possible, something the lemmings would never even attempt, i sampled Spanish food, it is good and I never saw an another Irish person thankfully.

what a condescending post!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

Did you sit there in a lovely town sucking on bitter lemons delighted at the lack of Paddys in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

baldbear wrote: »
    Did you sit there in a lovely town sucking on bitter lemons delighted at the lack of Paddys in the town?

They grow quiet nice oranges in the locality, didn't see any lemons though, I'll have a look the next time I travel for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,405 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That irishexaminer article doesn't prove people were infected on the plane it shows people were allowed in from a highly infected area without screening or testing. People coming in now have to have been tested yet this isn't enough for some, they want ports and airports closed.
    They have to have a test some of which aren't that reliable though...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-ferry-outbreak-over-320-passengers-bound-for-ireland-stranded-overnight-1.4438372

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Tell me more about the sophistication of your travels.

You are right about the begrudging mentality though. I was wavering back and forth on this hotel quarantine thing, but after seeing your post, I'm fully on board with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

There'll be a fine though

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1354082343053631497

Quite a bit to tack on to the holiday budget

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1354084800806715395

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Do what you want to be honest - selfish fukers always will anyway - but why the need to rub peoples noses in it? People are struggling with this massively. Stuck in less than ideal living situations, separated from families, believing they are doing the right thing. You can disagree with that all you want, but gleefully posting about you going on your jollies - is it really needed?

The type of Irish you describe taking joy from others is very closely related to the Irish attitude shown in posts like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

RobitTV wrote: »
    Varadkar said last night that he expects the cases to plunge to very low levels by early March. This can happen without trying to throw darts at the travel industry and playing the same old blame game.

How many industries are shut down under Level 5 right now? How many Irish people are on PUP. We can’t go beyond 5km of our homes without an essential reason.

It took one person to get Covid for it to go all around the globe. What is point in us getting cases down to a low level (and it’s a tough struggle for people when they go weeks without seeing friends and family) only to allow someone to bring in another strain because they felt like a bit of sun.

We are looking at a minimum of 3 months in level 5. The last thing we need is another strain that is vaccine resistant or more deadly or causes more severe disease. The Brazil and SA variants won’t be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

So as I understand the current situation after today’s news the only restriction I need not to be in force for our holiday in June is the 5km travel one?

I’m ok with the pcr test 72 hours before each flight, I think that’s reasonable enough, I’ll ring for another hse test once home. That will mean three pcr tests in sixteen or seventeen days
    I’ve no doubt that it won’t be enough for some people though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,405 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So as I understand the current situation after today’s news the only restriction I need not to be in force for our holiday in June is the 5km travel one?

I’m ok with the pcr test 72 hours before each flight, I think that’s reasonable enough, I’ll ring for another hse test once home. That will mean three pcr tests in sixteen or seventeen days
    Why would the HSE test you if you don't have symptoms?

Things could change between now and June I would say.

I don't see major issue with the PCR testing or those who didn't bother to get a negative PCR test before arriving into Ireland.

What if someone is genuinely going abroad for a proper reason - tweets says fine of €100 for going over 5km limit to be increased if you’re intending travelling abroad.

What if you're going abroad for a legit reason, either compassionate, moving abroad for a long/short term stay, work etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Does anyone else find it infuriating that the government continuously makes statements such as "We can't introduce mandatory quarantine now, because if we did that now, we'd have to have it for a year and it would ruin Christmas 2021"? Like, they're the government. Introducing and removing laws is literally their job. Why would they "have" to keep it for a full year if they introduced it now? Like so many other government policies, they could pass a new law to remove it just as quickly as they passed one to introduce it.

The argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Implying that introducing a law now hamstrings them into keeping it for longer than they want is an utterly nonsensical abdication of responsibility - you're the government FFS. Govern.

Does anyone else find it infuriating that the government continuously makes statements such as "We can't introduce mandatory quarantine now, because if we did that now, we'd have to have it for a year and it would ruin Christmas 2021"? Like, they're the government. Introducing and removing laws is literally their job. Why would they "have" to keep it for a full year if they introduced it now? Like so many other government policies, they could pass a new law to remove it just as quickly as they passed one to introduce it.

The argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Implying that introducing a law now hamstrings them into keeping it for longer than they want is an utterly nonsensical abdication of responsibility - you're the government FFS. Govern.

Weak government with no leadership, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Will they be HSE tests?? Surely people should pay for private tests if it’s for travel.

km991148 wrote: »
    Do what you want to be honest - selfish fukers always will anyway - but why the need to rub peoples noses in it? People are struggling with this massively. Stuck in less than ideal living situations, separated from families, believing they are doing the right thing. You can disagree with that all you want, but gleefully posting about you going on your jollies - is it really needed?

The type of Irish you describe taking joy from others is very closely related to the Irish attitude shown in posts like this.

The name of the thread is ‘Will you travel’. If people Talking about travelling or contemplating it offends you this ain’t the thread for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yes, my friend came in yesterday from there, had to go back to airport today for another test as he is flying back Friday...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement