Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Uh-oh, I have a feeling that my Aer Lingus flight in March has been cancelled. No official confirmation yet, but when I looked on the website for my selected dates it just says "sold out" which is bizarre.

And there are loads of other dates saying "sold out" looks like Aer Lingus have begun purging flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Try 2023!

Oz and NZ got to Covid zero by stamping it out and acting quickly- a HARD lockdown. UK and Irish levels are so high to get to zero Covid Would take a long, long time.

2023... you should get a job with RTE with doom skills like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

RobitTV wrote: »
    Uh-oh, I have a feeling that my Aer Lingus flight in March has been cancelled. No official confirmation yet, but when I looked on the website for my selected dates it just says "sold out" which is bizarre.

And there are loads of other dates saying "sold out" looks like Aer Lingus have begun purging flights.

Yes looks like aer Lingus have taken down flights I was looking at in June

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Leo on prime time has ruled out foreign for travel for people for at least a year. His words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

faceman wrote: »
    Leo on prime time has ruled out foreign for travel for people for at least a year. His words.

Good to hear they are taking this very seriously. Better late than never.

Shut the border and let's get this thing done.

• Advertisement

Wow Leo has let the cat out of the bag. Another full year of being locked inside Ireland.

Maybe in 2022 he then will say 2023...

Well if people want to continue living like this. Then there is no hope.

'What's another year" 2020
    "What's another year" 2021
    "What's another year" 2022
    "What's another year' 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It's not doom. I think the poster was replying to the suggestion we can do a NZ (Now) with the UK. We can't, too late - It's just numbers. We can't suddenly just do what Australia or NZ done in March. That horse has bolted.

The hybrid approach didn't (could never!) work, so now we gotta live with this thing. These things tend to be all in.

Yikes...

Leo Varadkar tells CBLive that if mandatory hotel quarantine for all is introduced it “probably would be for a year” meaning any hope of summer holidays and overseas travel next Christmas would be “off the agenda”.

Looks like targeted quarantining for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

And it's kinda obvious that travel won't be in the cards anytime soon.. we will take ages to roll out the vaccine fully. Then it will take time for it to build immunity. Then other countries will be at different levels, so mixing populations will be dodgy. Flight may come in but we can't go to other countries.

Throw in mutations of the virus on top, people getting a false sense if confidence by only getting part one of the vaccine and but two and the thing still not getting eradicated and we will easily fly through this year and into next.. it absolutely sucks, and I'll be delighted if I to happens sooner, but in the meantime I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Travel is gone for the year lads. Read the room.

• Advertisement

Travel is gone for several years. They have won and got what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

...yet even the zero COVID guy says MHQ is pointless until we get to about 150 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

...yet even the zero COVID guy says MHQ is pointless until we get to about 150 cases.

Yeap, like putting the Matches into a separate box away from where the fire is raging and burning through the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Leo Varadkar himself saying that the last 30,000 / 40,000 cases have not been related to international travel...

I honestly cannot stand another moment of this endless situation. It's not even about travel, it's about 2021 being swiped away from us and 2022 is our next hope...

Endless restrictions for the whole year in some shape or form. Ireland will be going extremely slow when it comes to lifting the restrictions. Meaning we will have heavy restrictions until July. And Level 3 until Christmas most likely.

Even with the vaccine, they are still planning on blocking Christmas flights. We won't be back to normal by Christmas!?

Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Try 2023!

Oz and NZ got to Covid zero by stamping it out and acting quickly- a HARD lockdown. UK and Irish levels are so high to get to zero Covid Would take a long, long time.

No need for me to get a job there, they're well covered.

You may call it doom skills, unfortunately it's the truth.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

What's stopping people making up an excuse to say their travel is essential and going on holidays? Get PCR test on return and you can quarantine at home.

dan786 wrote: »
    What's stopping people making up an excuse to say there travel is essential and going on holidays? Get PCR test on return and you can quarantine at home.

Nothing ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I honestly cannot stand another moment of this endless situation. It's not even about travel, it's about 2021 being swiped away from us and 2022 is our next hope...

Endless restrictions for the whole year in some shape or form. Ireland will be going extremely slow when it comes to lifting the restrictions. Meaning we will have heavy restrictions until July. And Level 3 until Christmas most likely.

I feel the same. And people always assume travel is about holidays. Almost my entire family are in another country, at this stage I may never see my older relatives again. Older relatives who as it happens have already had Covid, and not one had anything worse than a mild cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

No travel for rest of the year beyond next Christmas ??

It’s worse than could have been predicted , there’s going be a lot of airport staff joining the pup .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Nothing ..

...so far!

And that's why it has been a bigger problem than could be recorded. People lying.

But that looks like it's going to be addressed now, at least a start to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Travel is gone for several years. They have won and got what they wanted.

One thing about having a government with no spine is they come out with all sorts of nonsense then hide behind somebody else. The upside of it is at the first sign of protest they'll cave (water rates, OAP medical cards etc).

Too many decent people have thousands tied up in vouchers from 2019 that they will lose. A lot of decent, hard working people did the 'right thing' in 2020. Hard to do it again and then lose money into the bargain. They appear to be completely oblivious to the damage a statement like that will cause.

Usually when Varadkar says one thing Martin says the opposite. I await a 'clarification'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Silly.

I am planning to go away in March. I will be vaccinated by then, will also get a PCR test on departure from here and also on my way back. They cant force people to sit at home all year, we have another 11 months. Mental health has already taken a huge toll on many since March so another 11 months would be a disaster.

I'm mentally tired of this never ending psychodrama. I can't listen to anymore of "Keep playing your part" - "We are all in this together" - "There is light at the end of the tunnel" - "Hope is coming"

Those phrases are so meaningless and pointless as we face another year of complete nonsense. So much for the vaccine sorting this out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Leo Varadkar himself saying that the last 30,000 / 40,000 cases have not been related to international travel...

And yet Micheal Martin has been telling us how 60% of all cases now are the British variant of the virus. Not related to international travel at all, not a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Jesus. I have a flight to Colombia on Friday. Should I try get a travel voucher from the website I booked on or try go ahead with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Yikes...

Leo Varadkar tells CBLive that if mandatory hotel quarantine for all is introduced it “probably would be for a year” meaning any hope of summer holidays and overseas travel next Christmas would be “off the agenda”.

Looks like targeted quarantining for now.

Seems to be trying to steer the public away from the desire to implement a full blown quarantine for all arrivals, on the basis that the government don’t want to do it, by saying it would stop travel till 2022...

With this current targeted approach, we can only hope certain routes/countries open up sooner than that based on the new/updated EU Travel Policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Jesus. I have a flight to Colombia on Friday. Should I try get a travel voucher from the website I booked on or try go ahead with it?

Go, you lucky thing!

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Jesus. I have a flight to Colombia on Friday. Should I try hey a travel voucher from the website I booked on or try go ahead with it?

I am flying next week also. I am still going to travel to the airport, they can't stop me from moving away for a few months..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement