Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

US starting to get it's **** together post trump. Biden listening to advice of covid-19 team.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1353775678450233346?s=20

Great to see this. This is what happens when you no longer have an absolute narcissistic moron as US President.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

There isn't a chance in hell the schools will be open until after the mid term.

The special needs schools might possibly reopen earlier than that but as far as the regular schools are concerned you are absolutely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

seamus wrote: »
    The same thing happened in the last two waves. All the negativity spawns these late reactions. In spite of clearly improving case numbers over the last 10-14 days, the narrative has been relentless "things are going to ****e and there's no improvement in sight".

This leads to headless-chicken style panicking and people screaming "Ahhhhh we have to do something!"

So the talking heads pop up and go, "Zero Covid! Quarantine! These are something. We must do them!".

In a week's time when case numbers or firmly in 3 digits and still dropping, it'll all be forgotten about. Again.

Okay, but equally it could be seen as an overreaction in the face of the governments total lack of any coherent plan from the beginning regarding internal travel into the country. There are risks posed by the potential importation of cases.

What are the odds that in three weeks time if cases are - hopefully - much lower and with most of the political pressure gone that the government will just let things slide re internal travel?

And I'm not as convinced, as you seem to be, that once we have things lower in a few weeks then we can stop thinking about a coherent strategy about managing risks related to internal travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

snotboogie wrote: »
    And how did that work out the last two times?
    It worked just fine. It was an overzealous push to reopen and poor public messaging that mostly ****ed it.

Zero Covid is a pipe dream. Nearly a year on from when people first started talking about it, and still no realistic proposals on how it could practically be achieved. Just constantly saying the words won't magically make the UK border disappear.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I much prefer Ronan Glynn to Tony Holohan.

I feel Ronan actually answers the questions and isn’t afraid to tell it as it is, whereas Tony tries to be a little bit more diplomatic and it leads to a bit of rambling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Stateofyou wrote: »
    The zero covid approach is really on my mind these days. Say we implement tough restrictions for a couple months, implement strict boarder control measures, whip up the track and test team within an inch of it's life, and we can reopen pubs, have parties, hug our friends, have weekends away, listen to live music, get to the barber/hair salons/spa's, have a meal out, kids in school, and activities & hobbies going again.

I would do it.

Anyone else daydreaming about this lately?

Its always been the only game in town yet anytime it was mentioned someone would bring up our tiny border and mention New Zealand because they had a few cases popping up now and then.

The real reason is people are selfish you know what's and wanted the two weeks in lake Garda or Costa del STD's.

Many businesses will never open now as well as hundreds of deaths, mental health issues, educational issues etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Numbers going down which is a good thing but feel it means little as were going to be cautious in our reopening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Its always been the only game in town yet anytime it was mentioned someone would bring up our tiny border and mention New Zealand because they had a few cases popping up now and then.

The real reason is people are selfish you know what's and wanted the two weeks in lake Garda or Costa del STD's.

Many businesses will never open now as well as hundreds of deaths, mental health issues, educational issues etc..

You really are clueless. Nice sound bites though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It worked just fine. It was an overzealous push to reopen and poor public messaging that mostly ****ed it.

It worked just fine?

Surely a healthy proportion of our case numbers during and in the immediate aftermath of December and January can reasonably be attributed to people travelling from the UK and elsewhere and not quarantining.

Arghus wrote: »
    Okay, but equally it could be seen as an overreaction in the face of the governments total lack of any coherent plan from the beginning regarding internal travel into the country. There are risks posed by the potential importation of cases.

What are the odds that in three weeks time if cases are - hopefully - much lower and with most of the political pressure gone that the government will just let things slide re internal travel?

And I'm not as convinced, as you seem to be, that once we have things lower in a few weeks then we can stop thinking about a coherent strategy about managing risks related to internal travel.

Exactly, we had last summer "eliminated the virus in the community", I remember one day we had 3 cases and the North had 1. The hard work was done, but to the surprise of nobody we prioritised a few people who just had to go on holiday abroad, or come here from countries with far less control. The virus was re-seeded over a few months and we haven't had much control since then.

Sad thing is, most of Europe was on the brink of eradication, but instead of finishing the job we took a summer holiday. Easy to say that in retrospect I suppose, but the sh*tshow since then has been exhausting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,303 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Numbers going down which is a good thing but feel it means little as were going to be cautious in our reopening

Christ you actually think thats a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

It worked just fine?

Surely a healthy proportion of our case numbers during and in the immediate aftermath of December and January can reasonably be attributed to people travelling from the UK and elsewhere and not quarantining.

And outbreaks too. I heard of 1 very sad outbreak at a nursing home today. Linked with a person back for Christmas from the UK. Staying with a member of staff...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What the f*ck is this one on about and why does it make a difference?

A case is a case. A case in hospital is a case in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ you actually think thats a bad thing?

If were similar to what we did last summer than its a recipe for disaster

Cases in the single digits and a lot of sectors shut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Faugheen wrote: »

I was just coming in to say this. Ffs she obviously has an agenda, but she’s alone in it....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It worked just fine?

Same with Spain during the Summer, when a Spanish variant became dominant here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Zero Covid is a pipe dream. Nearly a year on from when people first started talking about it, and still no realistic proposals on how it could practically be achieved. Just constantly saying the words won't magically make the UK border disappear.

Take that word "realistic," and replace it with political will. Suddenly it's quite doable. We can do things we haven't done before. Doesn't mean it's unrealistic. We have to do something different. I feel like it's beginning to become unbearable, tbh. And I've been fairly grand all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Patd6

Numbers not too bad today. Glad to see that the third wave is phasing out. Case numbers declining and low deaths with 7 deaths today, hopefully we go less than 5 deaths tomorrow. Few weeks more and hopefully things open up, can t wait to get my pub up and running again, been scrubbing the kegs down just today

Who is it? Has that Burke one got in again?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

I didnt catch her name or paper - but the journalist named Sarah - absolutely great questions and stopped short of calling the figures misleading. Go girl!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've noticed this trend online a bit recently where some of the Gemma O'Doherty types think that hospital-acquired Covid is some sort of cover up and that everything else should be opened up as a result, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They're looking into question of ventilation, introducing a cross-taskforce to make short-term recommendations and also looking ways in which wider population public can better protect themselves from a pharmaceutical perspective, including supplementation of Vitamin D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Patd6 wrote: »
    ...hopefully we go less than 5 deaths tomorrow...

Whatever about cases, that would be very/overly optimistic.

I didnt catch her name or paper - but the journalist named Sarah - absolutely great questions and stopped short of calling the figures misleading. Go girl!!!

How is it misleading? People who got the virus in their county before going into hospital are recorded in their county figures. If they test positive 3-4 days into a hospital stay, there’s a good chance they came in with it, so that is reflected in the numbers.

I think she was from the indo.

Amirani wrote: »
    I've noticed this trend online a bit recently where some of the Gemma O'Doherty types think that hospital-acquired Covid is some sort of cover up and that everything else should be opened up as a result, for some reason.

Its been a key point in the restrictions thread for a while. Apparently it shouldnt be counted as a case at all?

Interesting to see someone tryna take it mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like UK is going for quarantine for all travellers. Whether all means Ireland and Northern Ireland is another question. Guess it could include Ireland but exclude Northern Ireland as seen as internal UK travel.

''Hotel quarantine for international travellers will take up to three weeks to implement and cost those entering the UK more than £1,000.

Boris Johnson is tomorrow expected to sign off plans to quarantine all travellers at a meeting of the government’s coronavirus operations committee in an effort to stop the import of variants from abroad.''

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-quarantine-hotels-not-ready-for-3-weeks-and-cost-travellers-100-a-day-7vmd6f5kc

How is it misleading? People who got the virus in their county before going into hospital are recorded in their county figures. If they test positive 3-4 days into a hospital stay, there’s a good chance they came in with it, so that is reflected in the numbers.

I think she was from the indo.

it needs to be clear if an admission is an admission or if someone caught COVID in hospital. just be transparent about it.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its been a key point in the restrictions thread for a while. Apparently it shouldnt be counted as a case at all?

Interesting to see someone tryna take it mainstream.

its a legitimate question - and not conspiracy. we should be aware of where the figures come from.

it needs to be clear if an admission is an admission or if someone caught COVID in hospital. just be transparent about it.

But if they test positive within the incubation period how do you work that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Dingaan

Anyone know if the resumption of takeaway pints are on the cabinet subcommittees agenda for tomorrow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement