Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

While it will be good to see close contact testing recommencing, I'm of the opinion that it won't lead to a big increase in cases as some might fear.

Anyone I know who has been a close contact have either lied and made up symptoms or arranged a private test for themselves if they were not sick. They just felt that they had to know as restricting your movements is vastly different to being in isolation when in a household. They really didn't want to spread it any further and went into isolation pending their test. The current positivity rates show that many are not positive so, someone has to be getting tested even if not sick.

Anyone who has been sick, has been tested. GP's have been referring with any symptom showing it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Yeah. I am not on board with the "ye need to be dying a few times a year to be immunologically strong" idea. It has to be draining.

In some ways its falling faster than it did in the spring. 7 day average Positive rate took 26 days from 23.2% to under 10% in April. This time from 22.7% to under 10 took 17 days

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is this just a statement of fact or are you offering some kind of insight?

Seeing as you saw fit to throw your oar in regarding my reply to a poster who stated that the HSE needed a outsider such as the Gardai did, let me correct your statement re the HSE CEO.He was not always a public servant and besides working as one for most of his time is not the same as a him spending all his time with the HSE He was recruited as an outsider. Is that enough insight for you smart ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Yeah. I am not on board with the "ye need to be dying a few times a year to be immunologically strong" idea. It has to be draining.

You only live twice, Mrs Gruffalux

a28261e847c83906a8c91e0983b2d771.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Someone I know has been referred for a test but is not driving.

They will have to wait 5 to 7 days for the ambulance service to test them.

Does anyone know if they will get the PUP payment for the time they are waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

Prob around 1300 cases today so.

I personally think all restrictions should stay in place until March 1st. Then we will be well on top of this and Summer and vaccines will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

pauldry wrote: »
    and Summer and vaccines will do the rest.

What will summer do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

accensi0n wrote: »
    What will summer do?

People will be outside more and while indoors will have more open windows/ventilation so transmission will reduce a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

People will be outside more and while indoors will have more open windows/ventilation so transmission will reduce a lot.

I severely doubt that.

The virus is transmitting from other people, so if you're out and about with much more interaction (as opposed to holed up in the house), then it'll spread more, not less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Gradius wrote: »
    I severely doubt that.

The virus is transmitting from other people, so if you're out and about with much more interaction (as opposed to holed up in the house), then it'll spread more, not less.

Compare and contrast last summer where we had fewer restrictions than we did in December but rates of transmission absolutely rocketed during winter for very obvious reasons.

That doesn't mean there won't be restrictions needed in summer just that some level of opening up won't be as disastrous as it would be in winter. Add vaccines to the mix and the summer shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as what we're currently going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Probably posted already but NPHET briefing at 6.30ish https://twitter.com/juneshannon/status/1353739441614032896?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

UK cases dropping quick enough now as well. At 22,195 for today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Mimon wrote: »
    Someone I know has been referred for a test but is not driving.

They will have to wait 5 to 7 days for the ambulance service to test them.

Does anyone know if they will get the PUP payment for the time they are waiting?

I would imagine they would be eligible for enhanced illness benefit rather than the PUP (still pays €350)

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html#

Slightly off topic, but I find that to be an awful waste of resources. Can they not have swabbers driving around in their cars, like the community nurse, and not be using up paramedics and ambulances. People would also probably get tested sooner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Eod100 wrote: »
    Probably posted already but NPHET briefing at 6.30ish https://twitter.com/juneshannon/status/1353739441614032896?s=19

That's around 7.10 Irish time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I want more evidence about these variants.

The media are spouting nonsense daily about how they are dangerous and more hyperbole

It is now almost an accepted truth that these variants are driving a different type of spread but there is no tangible evidence.

Shocking misinformation.

It is flabbergasting nobody has sought to investigate this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The media are spouting nonsense daily about how they are dangerous and more hyperbole

It is no almost an accepted truth that these variants are driving a different type of spread but there is no tangible evidence.

Shocking misinformation.

It is being investigated further. The UKs analysis from multiple different areas suggested greater transmission. There is the researchers eyes tangible evidence. Their paper is still in preprints though awaiting peer review. Will have to wait and see.

These things take time. You don't get all the answers at once. The preliminary dara and analysis is enough to suggest precaution. Maybe that can be relaxed but based on the initial findings it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

Relevant Paper (pre print):
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.30.20249034v2

South Africa variant arguably has even more analysis than the UK. That one is imo of more concern rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It is now almost an accepted truth that these variants are driving a different type of spread but there is no tangible evidence.

Shocking misinformation.

They are being investigated but it will take more time. Agreed the media are massively jumping the gun on this with very scant actual evidence, particularly on vaccine effectiveness.

That's around 7.10 Irish time I think.

Heh, probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I would imagine they would be eligible for enhanced illness benefit rather than the PUP (still pays €350)

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html#

Slightly off topic, but I find that to be an awful waste of resources. Can they not have swabbers driving around in their cars, like the community nurse, and not be using up paramedics and ambulances. People would also probably get tested sooner too.

Thanks, found that too and passed it on to them.

Agree regarding the resource issue with the use of Ambulances. Maybe HSE could rent some vans. Long wait as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Shocking misinformation.

In fairness, Micheal Martin is saying the same most days too. They're just quoting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Turtwig wrote: »
    It is being investigated further. The UKs analysis from multiple different areas suggested greater transmission. There is the researchers eyes tangible evidence. Their paper is still in preprints though awaiting peer review. Will have to wait and see.

These things take time. You don't get all the answers at once. The preliminary dara and analysis is enough to suggest precaution. Maybe that can be relaxed but based on the initial findings it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

Relevant Paper (pre print):
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.30.20249034v2

South Africa variant arguably has even more analysis than the UK. That one is imo of more concern rightly so.

From my very dumb view, it is clear the variant is becoming more dominant as compared to the other variants, but that doesn't mean it is more transmissible.

UK cases dropping quick enough now as well. At 22,195 for today

Tell you what Stephen, we could be witnessing greenshoots of genuine optimism. Will embrace any bit of positivity like a capsized sailor clinging to a buoy.

COVID-19 deaths per million people, rolling 7-day average:

1. Portugal 22.53

2. UK 18.31

3. Slovakia 15.54

4. Czech Republic 13.75

5. Eswatini 12.68

6. Slovenia 12.37

7. Liechtenstein 11.24

8. Lithuania 10.71

9. Ireland 10.47

10. Latvia 10.01

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-worst-covid-death-rate-world-coronavirus-134410395.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29kbGlrZXByb2R1Y3Rpb25zLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEQ0EVBdRlVKXkx6ygiq4ZYxPJFH06x_L3YtNQpmawQWF5pwgH4k3spHNU_NquG4EafGvgMXH-9xPfqt1xCW3ExEMIApi871hBa6gtaY1FFioxoVjiKEqJQ42gtuAclCLmXtw6OfXCf7WHM-BQzTNVvW_in5NLVZ1sozQexwSVuv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

COVID-19 deaths per million people, rolling 7-day average:

1. Portugal 22.53

2. UK 18.31

3. Slovakia 15.54

4. Czech Republic 13.75

5. Eswatini 12.68

6. Slovenia 12.37

7. Liechtenstein 11.24

8. Lithuania 10.71

9. Ireland 10.47

10. Latvia 10.01

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-worst-covid-death-rate-world-coronavirus-134410395.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29kbGlrZXByb2R1Y3Rpb25zLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEQ0EVBdRlVKXkx6ygiq4ZYxPJFH06x_L3YtNQpmawQWF5pwgH4k3spHNU_NquG4EafGvgMXH-9xPfqt1xCW3ExEMIApi871hBa6gtaY1FFioxoVjiKEqJQ42gtuAclCLmXtw6OfXCf7WHM-BQzTNVvW_in5NLVZ1sozQexwSVuv

Eswatini = used to be Swaziland, for those others like me who may have gone :confused:

Only saw the positive swabs there, that's great going from where we were a few weeks ago. If we's consistently below 1,000 before the end of the month think it would be great boost.

If this keeps up the Healy Raes will be sending pensioners up north to get theirs :pac: Presume vaccines fall outside the treatment abroad scheme?!

https://twitter.com/healthdpt/status/1353749300531048458

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Gradius wrote: »
    I severely doubt that.

there's a strong seasonal aspect to this virus. not as large as flu for example, but it's there unquestionably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

froog wrote: »
    there's a strong seasonal aspect to this virus. not as large as flu for example, but it's there unquestionably.

I’m in no way doubting you but how does a virus become seasonal - what makes it less likely to spread at certain times? I’ve heard it said in winter we are indoors more so that’s a factor but that’s not the virus itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m in no way doubting you but how does a virus become seasonal - what makes it less likely to spread at certain times? I’ve heard it said in winter we are indoors more so that’s a factor but that’s not the virus itself.

Probably that we're just a little weaker and more vulnerable in winter. Vitamin D or lack of seems huge in this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement