Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Isn’t that the same as every vaccine?

possibly, but from what im hearing on radio or online people think they are completely immune after getting the vaccines and no longer have to take preventative measures, mask wearing SD etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

tom1ie wrote: »
    Ok so Is this being explained to people when they get their vaccine does anyone know?

It's on page 10 of the patient information booklet:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-vaccine-materials/covid-19-vaccine-information-leaflet-after-18-jan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

possibly, but from what im hearing on radio or online people think they are completely immune after getting the vaccines and no longer have to take preventative measures, mask wearing SD etc

People are thick, the info around how the vaccines work has been made available from day one. Transmission data, while looking promising, is not complete.

ah yeah but do people actually read this.
    should the HSE/nphet not be hammering home the point on the daily updates and likewise with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Was there not a study showing the vaccine reduces transmissibility by 40% or something (maybe more) hence you can still pass it on but at a reduced amount.

I haven't seen it, but I hope and think this is likely. A vaccinated person will be able to deal with their infection very rapidly and eliminate the virus in a short period of time so it is reasonable to assume they will be less likely to pass it on.

The BMJ says:

Asymptomatic Transmission

An asymptomatic case is a laboratory-confirmed case who does not develop symptoms. There is some evidence that spread from asymptomatic carriers is possible, although it is thought that transmission is greatest when people are symptomatic, especially around the time of symptom onset.

Linked here: https://hselibrary.ie/what-is-the-rate-of-asymptomatic-carriage-of-covid-19-amongst-both-older-people-65-and-the-general-population/#:~:text=The%20WHO1%20suggest%20that,infections%20are%20mild%20or%20asymptomatic.

But of course this was for infected people with no symptoms, which might not be the same as a vaccinated person with no symptoms.

• Advertisement

People are thick, the info around how the vaccines work has been made available from day one. Transmission data, while looking promising, is not complete.

yeah exactly which is why i think this could lead to problems down the road without informing people through RTE or whatever on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Drew Harris seems to be doing a fairly good job implementing changes in the Gardai.

Do we need similar with an outsider appointed in the hse?
    The current CEO is an outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1084 swabs, +7.28% positivity rate (Monday)

Good :)
    And yesterday was 1,527, 7.81% positivity rate.

5 solid days under 10%, four of which under 9%.

7-day average is now 9.23%

The rate of decline has increased slightly; cases are down 38% week-on-week.

We should resume close contact testing immediately, that'll fuzzy up the data for a couple of days, but it should mean we've crushed this thing by Valentine's day.

There is nothing to be negative about at the moment. No indication that there's any slowdown or plateau, no indication that the British variant is at all a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Do we know what yesterday's was? Only seeing one day on the Twitter feed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lukas8888 wrote: »
    The current CEO is an outsider.
    He's a long term public servant, the HSE is public service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

seamus wrote: »

We should resume close contact testing immediately, that'll fuzzy up the data for a couple of days, but it should mean we've crushed this thing by Valentine's day.

We're getting close to resumption of close contacts alright. Think they still want to shore up serial testing first. So it may be a few more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There is nothing to be negative about at the moment. No indication that there's any slowdown or plateau, no indication that the British variant is at all a factor.

Absolutely close contact should resume in the coming days so long as these swab numbers continue.

As you say it'll probably play with the numbers a little and may cause an increase but we're very much so on a downward trend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

At this stage 16 people in my immediate family have had Covid19.
    All have completely recovered, with no long Covid and no lasting issues. These people include my pregnant daughter, her 17 month old baby, two parents-in-law who are in their sixties and obese ,my 52 year old sister.......
    It also includes my brother who is 61 and his wife who works in Mullingar hospital and their 3 daughters. My brother and his wife were sicker for 3 days with bad headaches and aches.... but then recovered and are back at work now. The rest are younger in their twenties. So I guess you could say a very good cross section of people. ALL are perfectly well now and all said it was no worse than a heavy cold or the regular flu.

I haven't known anyone yet who has got Covid badly. Maybe I am just lucky. But while you will read some very bad stories about people who are in hospital and on ventilation, the vast vast majority of people get over this at home and recover very quickly with no lasting effects.

The most dangerous assumption we can make, whether on the cautionary or disbelieving side, is that one person's story is true for everyone. Yes I believe you but I was talking to an in law yesterday who had 7 family members who contracted it. 2 died, 2 still in hospital, 1 quite ill at home and 2 with no symptoms.

Both stories are true. Two extremes. Both stories tell me that one story cannot give a full picture and very dangerous to live as if either were the full picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Absolutely close contact should resume in the coming days so long as these swab numbers continue.

As you say it'll probably play with the numbers a little and may cause an increase but we're very much so on a downward trend

U'd wonder how much of a difference it will make, close contacts must be very low now and anyone with symptoms can still get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mcburns07 wrote: »
    U'd wonder how much of a difference it will make, close contacts must be very low now and anyone with symptoms can still get tested.

Indeed it might not make much of a difference and I know myself of people who are close contacts and have rang the gp saying they feel a bit crap so that they could get a test (when they feel fine) so there certainly is a number of close contact tests in there for sure.

Turtwig wrote: »
    We're getting close to resumption of close contacts alright. Think they still want to shore up serial testing first. So it may be a few more days.
    IIRC they are planning to do it for a few weeks. That may mean to the end of the 2nd shots for care homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's a long term public servant, the HSE is public service.

So, Drew Harris is a life long police man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Testing numbers are way down, back to November, early December levels.
    I presume GP referrals have reduced considerably.

ongarite wrote: »
    Testing numbers are way down, back to November, early December levels.
    I presume GP referrals have reduced considerably.

Not testing close contacts as policy probably dropping it too. Theres likely about another 5-6k tests that could be done

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Thanks Seamus. It's posts like these that look at the positive news that give me a little lift each time I see them.

• Advertisement

lukas8888 wrote: »
    So, Drew Harris is a life long police man.
    Is this just a statement of fact or are you offering some kind of insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Brilliant to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just realised I haven't had so much in a sniffle in a whole year, usually have 2 or 3 head colds/sore throat per yr.

When/if this ever ends, our immune systems will be as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just realised I haven't had so much in a sniffle in a whole year, usually have 2 or 3 head colds/sore throat per yr.

When/if this ever ends, our immune systems will be as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike.

its crazy isnt it - havent had a cold either - just goes to show how contagious viruses really are doesnt it - wouldnt have realised it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was just thinking the same, i'm usually DYING around xmas. But this year i was able to eat every mince pie that came within a nautical mile of me.

But hey, it'll be better than catching COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 45,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if people, especially when not feeling well, wore a mask as a matter of course from here on out, you will see a lot less flu's etc.

if people, especially when not feeling well, wore a mask as a matter of course from here on out, you will see a lot less flu's etc.

I'd rather a cold myself than walking around with my glasses getting fogged up every 10 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure how much the old thinking of "keeping your immune system primed" is valid tbh. I heard people say the same thing early last year.

But by the same token, fighting off a number of infections in a row can leave you compromised. Things like post-viral fatigue which may be virtually undetectable when you're feeling OK will still leave you vulnerable to new infections.

So 12-18 months of figurately doing nothing might be incredibly restorative for the immune systems of those who find themselves rolling from cough to cold to headache half the year 'round.

Other factors of course - continuously elevated stress levels, low activity levels, higher alcohol intake - could offset any beneficial effects, and we might see a tail out of this thing where we see slightly higher death rates and poorer overall health for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Here's the normalised comparison of this recovery compared to the October/November edition. No sign that the more transmissive strains are causing difficulty, no sign of disappointing level-off we saw towards the end of November. Even if the decay rate halved between now and Feb 8th, we'd be below 500 a day that week. At current pace we should be there the week of the 1st, when the schools reopen :p

540907.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement