Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The thing about hot places is that people tend to retreat indoors into dry air conditioning to get some respite from the heat, which may or may not account for some of the contagion in hit regions.

There seems to be some speculation that the women in NZ who tested positive after the 14 day quarantine may have caught the virus from air conditioning but dunno how accurate that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

polesheep wrote: »
    They could give a little and take a little. As it is, it's simply more restrictions as cases go down. It frustrates people and makes them question why they are sacrificing so much.

Look at what happened at Christmas. Look at the situation the hospitals, in particular, ICUs are in as a result.

They could give a little and take a little. As it is, it's simply more restrictions as cases go down. It frustrates people and makes them question why they are sacrificing so much.

The main one I want to see is quarantine for everyone. May not be realistic and with case level so high but might mean we have a normal summer. If it helps do it and ease restrictions for majority of people living here then I'd be in favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Look at what happened at Christmas. Look at the situation the hospitals, in particular, ICUs are in as a result.

I did say tweak.

The cases are coming down and the restrictions are increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Uncle was told he had COVID this morning and now my mother's isolating in her room waiting for a test tomorrow afternoon. She's got a headache and sore throat and her GP reckons she's fine, but has to get a test just in case because she's got a hospital appointment soon.

It's circling the drain folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I did say tweak.

The cases are coming down and the restrictions are increasing.

What would you 'tweak', though? Everything that's in place is to reduce mixing of people and transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Christmas is unique in terms of the amount of activity it produces over a very short period and we knew cases would rise, just not to the horrendous numbers we got. The period from July up to October is a better indicator of what might happen as we go back down through levels.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    All to do with the border and different restrictions North and South

You won't get agreement on restrictions etc that would be needed for a zero covid strategy

That's the default government response but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that they've attempted it in any meaningful way. I'd have a lot more time for that excuse if they tried and failed rather than failing to try at all. Nothing should be off the table here. People in GB couldn't travel to other parts of GB, should be same from travel from GB to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

141.000 people arrived in the country in December

That can't be right surely?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Christmas is unique in terms of the amount of activity it produces over a very short period and we knew cases would rise, just not to the horrendous numbers we got. The period from July up to October is a better indicator of what might happen as we go back down through levels.

There is the new variable of new variants to consider though. Vaccinations might mitigate that in long term but I think as this goes on it risks new variants being imported here. I think government may naturally be cautious as a result of experience after Christmas rightly or wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And the problem this Christmas was the opening came after a long phase of restrictions . It caused a huge surge into shops and restaurants etc

I think a slow opening should be in place . First click and collect open before non essential retail . This might release some steam before shops open . Then shops before restaurants , restaurants only if numbers still are low . And so on in small bites .
    The last opening was all wrong in my opinion in that everything opened together

141.000 people arrived in the country in December

That can't be right surely?

About 33k a week at the moment so if anything seems on the low side.

Well, the word is that the UK is going to announce the plan to close its borders tomorrow and require mandatory hotel quarantine for all, including all from Ireland, whether by air or sea. 10 days mandatory quarantine for everyone from Ireland is certainly not what I expected and puts me in a bind, with my living and work arrangements spread across the two places.

Whether that ‘quarantine border’ is in the Irish Sea, or at the land border remains to be seen, and don’t know how long will be in place for, but seems like all of cabinet now want to throw up a ring of steel (and those who were opposed are now “resigned to it”)

Eod100 wrote: »
    There is the new variable of new variants to consider though. Vaccinations might mitigate that in long term but I think as this goes on it risks new variants being imported here. I think government may naturally be cautious as a result of experience after Christmas rightly or wrongly.
    Well, so far they are not the drama that some people have made them out to be, plus all of the main 3 vaccine suppliers have said they can tweak quickly.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And the problem this Christmas was the opening came after a long phase of restrictions . It caused a huge surge into shops and restaurants etc

I think a slow opening should be in place . First click and collect open before non essential retail . This might release some steam before shops open . Then shops before restaurants , restaurants only if numbers still are low . And so on in small bites .

These restrictions will likely be even longer but agree there was pressure to get everything opened plus people knowing restrictions in January were likely and having more time off to meet people/go to pubs and restaurants over Christmas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

I agree. I think the original opening plan back in May was ok before they condensed it. It gave time to assess the impact of each additional step on cases.

Well, so far they are not the drama that some people have made them out to be, plus all of the main 3 vaccine suppliers have said they can tweak quickly.

Wouldn't say drama no but hard to tell full effect as restrictions followed not long after. Can understand gov being cautious with them in existence though.

If there was one thing that might have been held back, even in part, it was hospitality. IMO it was less that it opened than it signalled the idea of a normal Christmas to too many people. From a mental health perspective the idea of opening up was still the right move.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say drama no but hard to tell full effect as restrictions followed not long after. Can understand gov being cautious with them in existence though.
    Caution of a sort but I'd say panic in some quarters. There's a whole load of may, might and could floating around about them and that's not a good way to drive decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, the word is that the UK is going to announce the plan to close its borders tomorrow and require mandatory hotel quarantine for all, including all from Ireland, whether by air or sea. 10 days mandatory quarantine for everyone from Ireland is certainly not what I expected and puts me in a bind, with my living and work arrangements spread across the two places.

Whether that ‘quarantine border’ is in the Irish Sea, or at the land border remains to be seen, and don’t know how long will be in place for, but seems like all of cabinet now want to throw up a ring of steel (and those who were opposed are now “resigned to it”)
    If that's true, then a "whole island" approach could be feasible.

• Advertisement

Are numbers late today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are numbers late today

Press briefing scheduled for 6:30.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are numbers late today

Late press briefing

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

I would be very surprised if the hotel quarantine proposals are as wide ranging as that.

Caution of a sort but I'd say panic in some quarters. There's a whole load of may, might and could floating around about them and that's not a good way to drive decision making.

Well there's also the precautionary principle. There's no easy decisions but hopefully when we do ease it's sustainable. Everyone wants that at the end of the day. Just have different ideas to how to get there.

Are numbers late today

You'd nearly forget about the cases when it's so late. Maybe it's been eradicated.. One day sure..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Scally on the news dropping truth bombs. Quite diplomatically too.

Lock the country up airtight for 12 months minimum, get to New Zealand level or better with modification.

Should have been implemented 7 months ago but better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

7 additional deaths and 1,372 additional cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Finally!

"Only" 7 deaths.

Missed the infections as RTE are so ****ing crap.

edit 1,372 cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Finally!

"Only" 7 deaths.

Missed the infections as RTE are so ****ing crap.

edit 1,372 cases.

First two sentences in the RTE report
    The Department of Health has reported seven more coronavirus-related deaths.

A further 1,372 new cases of Covid-19 have also been reported.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement