Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Delighted Biden got in but this obsession of claiming people who are a few generations removed from Ireland is getting cringe. Joe Biden is American and he can say I'm Irish as much as he wants but that is not the case.

He can be proud of his roots, yes but he was born in America, raised in America and is an American. But we're jumping on the bandwagon and saying he is indeed Irish. As if the Obama Plaza wasn't cringe-inducing enough!

IMO you're Irish there is a parent (or parents) who are Irish and has instilled some of our culture in their child or you're born and spent a good portion of your life here. Not after separation of a century and a half from any tangible connection a la Biden ancestry.

Too many folks saying an Irish-American president. He's American!

Biden identifies himself as Irish-American. We're not claiming him, just embracing his own self professed identity.

Also generational history simply is a part of US culture. They're a young nation in scheme of things where a huge proportion of their country came from immigrants in pretty recent history. He also tends to have more of a clue about Ireland than a lot of my second generation US cousins tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

This should help the Dems in 2022 midterms, Arizona GOP are mental

https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/1353211177757679616

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kamala Harris 2020: "Joe Biden will not ban fracking. That is a fact."

Biden administration 2021: "Yes we are following through with a fracking ban."

Thousands of jobs lost on the first day in the office is not good.

Though the Biden admin telling pipeline workers that they can find another job is akin to saying 'just buy a house' to homeless people. The unions backed Biden and harris, and now they’re dragging him over killing Keystone XL :confused: They eat their own, this shouldn't have shocked the gob****es. They got what they voted for :D

Esd2PucXMAAMGwj?format=jpg&name=medium
    vglin

Thanks to Press Secretary Jen Psaki now my response to anybody giving me sh*t about masks will now be "We have bigger issues to worry about". Nice one

Your sudden and sincere bleeding heart concern for American jobs thousands of miles away is touching. But I don’t know why you are citing the suspension of the keystone XL pipeline when discussing fracking, as the pipeline has nothing to do with natural gas, it is a crude oil pipeline.

Furthermore you haven’t quoted the president or the white house you quoted a headline from townhall.com spinning the matter for clicks:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2021/01/20/biden-administration-yes-we-are-following-through-with-a-fracking-ban-n2583476

"President Biden promised to end all new oil and gas leasing on federal lands when was a candidate," a reporter asked. "Does the administration still have that commitment today? To end that lease?"

"We do and the leases will be reviewed by our team we just have only been in office for less than a day now," Psaki said.

This doesn’t end existing leases. Only 12% of oil and gas extraction happens on federal land, and the POTUS lacks the authority to order a nationwide halt to oil and gas production. Indeed essentially 88% of oil and gas extraction in the US will continue unabated.

Over a year ago he even told an anti fracking activist to “vote for somebody else” if he wanted a complete ban on fracking, oil and gas extraction. Donald Trump had repeatedly lied about Joe Biden’s position in campaign rhetoric:

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-ap-fact-check-joe-biden-donald-trump-pennsylvania-fa798602a357d0f4a765739e36f4f82b

https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmt/status/1202664144585023495?s=21

See you next week for another exciting pigeon-post, ladladlad!

Dillonb3 wrote: »

Texas GQP: hold our beer

https://twitter.com/seanondes/status/1353213767899779074?s=21

• Advertisement

The Arizona branch of the Republican Party appears to be particularly deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Arizona in 2020 is basically where Virginia in 2008 was: it had not voted democrat in the presidential elections since 1964 (and only once since the 1940s), but has in the three since abxisseeb as a safe bet for democrats just a decade later (Biden won by over 10%).

Virginia's neighbour Georgia also seems to be moving in that direction, though may be a cycle of two behind in this sense. If Stacy Abrams wins the governorship there in 2022, the republicans will be under serious threat as they will find it a lot harder to maintain the states place as the voter suppression capital of America.

There are a few other states where this trend is also showing, most notably Texas. While a it further behind again, it has gone from being an easy 20+ percent win for republicans to about 12-15% in 2008 and 2012, less than 10% in 2016, and just 5.5% in 2020 (approx the same amount Trump won Georgia by in 2016) . Texas has the 2ne most EC votes in the country, and this is already proving a large drain on campaign resources that democrats for example do not need to worry about in California. Running out of funds in the final months really hamstrung Trumps campaign this year.

It turns out that basing most of your platform on identity politics aimed at stroking the egos of and stoking anger among diminishing demographics isn't a great idea. Who would have guessed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Arizona in 2020 is basically where Virginia in 2008 was: it had not voted democrat in the presidential elections since 1964 (and only once since the 1940s), but has in the three since abxisseeb as a safe bet for democrats just a decade later (Biden won by over 10%).

Virginia's neighbour Georgia also seems to be moving in that direction, though may be a cycle of two behind in this sense. If Stacy Abrams wins the governorship there in 2022, the republicans will be under serious threat as they will find it a lot harder to maintain the states place as the voter suppression capital of America.

There are a few other states where this trend is also showing, most notably Texas. While a it further behind again, it has gone from being an easy 20+ percent win for republicans to about 12-15% in 2008 and 2012, less than 10% in 2016, and just 5.5% in 2020 (approx the same amount Trump won Georgia by in 2016) . Texas has the 2ne most EC votes in the country, and this is already proving a large drain on campaign resources that democrats for example do not need to worry about in California. Running out of funds in the final months really hamstrung Trumps campaign this year.

It turns out that basing most of your platform on identity politics aimed at stroking the egos of and stoking anger among diminishing demographics isn't a great idea. Who would have guessed?

Yeah definitely need to keep an eye on Georgia as Sen. Warnock is up for reelection to a full term while Stacy Abrams will probably face off against Kemp (if he survives a primary) or Doug Collins for the governorship. Arizona and Georgia trending blue makes up for Florida turning towards the GOP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I wonder will Joe do anything about his 94 crime bill that helped ensure that the US has the highest incarceration rate in world.

Countless lives destroyed for non violent crime...

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I wonder will Joe do anything about his 94 crime bill that helped ensure that the US has the highest incarceration rate in world.

We know the act didn’t cause mass incarceration: Prison populations started rising around 1974, and by 1994 they had roughly tripled, from 300,000 to over one million. It’s almost surely the case that America was the world’s largest jailer well before the act was passed. So if the act didn’t cause mass incarceration, the question becomes: Did it help continue to drive it? The answer, by and large, is no. For one thing, most of the act’s provisions applied only to federal crimes...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/12/magazine/bill-clinton-is-wrong-about-his-crime-bill-so-are-the-protesters-he-lectured.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The last administration did nothing about this but not a peep from you about their failure to tackle this issue.

Now all of a sudden its an issue that needs to be looked into immediately?

Let me guess.....you're not a Trump fan but.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Be careful talking sense in here my friend.

The last administration did nothing about this but not a peep from you about their failure to tackle this issue.

SCANDAL: Biden too tough on crime

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Careful talking bllicks in here

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

duploelabs wrote: »

Once it is on topic & civil, post away

duploelabs wrote: »

Herro, Hans Bllicks

lx2JE0Oh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Haha, like that uno reverse card.. I'll play Trump didn't do it either !! Boom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That appears to be the aim, yes.

Here's an AP piece from when he was on the campaign trail which outlines his approach: Biden criminal justice plan reverses part of 1994 crime bill

There's considerably more details in his manifesto as per his campaign site here: The Biden Plan For Strengthening America’s Commitment To Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Ehhh, I've been talking about it for about the last ten years. Mass incarceration in US is appalling unless you're rich of course, then it probably doesn't affect you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/biden-s-million-dose-a-day-goal-sets-a-bar-that-s-nearly-met

This is pretty ridiculous, and can be certain that if this was Trump there's users here who would be bringing it as an attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/biden-s-million-dose-a-day-goal-sets-a-bar-that-s-nearly-met

This is pretty ridiculous, and can be certain that if this was Trump there's users here who would be bringing it as an attack.

have you considered reading beyond the headline of an article before posting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Overheal wrote: »
    SCANDAL: Biden too tough on crime

Yup, from the " Law and Order" party :pac:

I did, don't think you did though? imagine the posts on the thread if the roles had been reversed.

"OMG he's such an idiot he obviously didn't know how many they were doing already"

"Look at Trump taking credit for his predecessor good work"

"So his bit promise is to keep doing the same thing as the other guy lol"

"His grand plan is to increase the rate by 1% haha"

If you can't see that your not being honest.

Edit: Trump's gone thankfully there is no need to push hard Biden anymore particularly on an Irish website

I did, don't think you did though? imagine the posts on the thread if the roles had been reversed.

"OMG he's such an idiot he obviously didn't know how many they were doing already"

"Look at Trump taking credit for his predecessor good work"

"So his bit promise is to keep doing the same thing as the other guy lol"

"His grand plan is to increase the rate by 1% haha"

If you can't see that your not being honest.

Edit: Trump's gone thankfully there is no need to push hard Biden anymore particularly on an Irish website

In that chart, 6 days out of 35 had 1M doses administered. In such time we've seen logistical shortages, even deliberate destruction of doses, and situations where doses have expired before patients could be found to give them to under the Trump administration's lack of any plan. The 6 days also were not consecutive, and the variance between individual days is large: on 1/10 there were 293k vaccinations, the next day there was 1.3M and the day after that was 675k and a week from there we had a day where only 401k were given. Calling it a 1% increase as you have, is a tad dishonest. Suggesting "they were doing that already" is also dishonest - 3 of the 6 1M days in that chart are from after Biden's swearing in! The 7-day rolling average thus was still under 1M doses as of 1/22 (983k).

Biden's 100 days gets us to April 30, 2021. "Anthony Fauci, Biden’s chief medical adviser, said on Thursday that vaccinating 70% to 85% of the country by the end of the summer would enable a return to normalcy. To do so would mean administering 460 million to 560 million doses, since the current vaccines require a first shot followed by a booster." Except, the end of the Summer is Wednesday, September 22, 2021. A span of 245 days from January 20.

tldr your thesis is 'How dare Biden set an attainable target.' And, no, it hasn't already been reached. But sure, grand, a month from now he can decide we're doing great and move the needle to 1.5M per day, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yep, we all pee the same color and the enemy isn't going to mind if you're a sword or a sheathe.

As you might know the President can't legislate. Your question would be better framed as, why hasn't Congress done anything about the 1994 bill? Do you have any answers to that?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    As you might know the President can't legislate. Your question would be better framed as, why hasn't Congress done anything about the 1994 bill? Do you have any answers to that?

I do I do I do!

Combined--Control_of_the_U.S._House_of_Representatives_-_Control_of_the_U.S._Senate.png

Because the GOP don't GAF.

Overheal wrote: »
    tldr your thesis is 'How dare Biden set an attainable target.' And, no, it hasn't already been reached. But sure, grand, a month from now he can decide we're doing great and move the needle to 1.5M per day, etc.

The goal he has set for is less than 2 percent increase if we count the week previous, and for if we look a bit further back it's still a small increase, it's incredibly conservative.
    If Trump had stated this being the target you would be up in arms be honest barely any of us can vote in the US so it's not going to make a difference.

Ps here is the UK chart take a look at the rise in figures
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1353380999783178240?s=20

Actually unless you think Trump was doing a good job with the vaccine so it isn't in the stage where it can be quickly scaled up, but that's hardly the case is it?

• Advertisement

The goal he has set for is less than 2 percent increase if we count the week previous, and for if we look a bit further back it's still a small increase, it's incredibly conservative.
    If Trump had stated this being the target you would be up in arms be honest barely any of us can vote in the US so it's not going to make a difference.

Ps here is the UK chart take a look at the rise in figures
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1353380999783178240?s=20

Actually unless you think Trump was doing a good job with the vaccine so it isn't in the stage where it can be quickly scaled up, but that's hardly the case is it?

Nope. The 7 day average on 1/20 was 912k, and that's generous since that's inauguration day, the day prior to that the average was 807k. So however you pick the day, It's either 8.8% or 19.3% short of the mark, not 2%. This is from the link you supplied.

Never mind the timing of when the pledge was made: January 15, 2021. The rolling average was 844.4k and the rollout had been inconsistent. Indeed, the day after the pledge was made, under Trump doses fell from 1.1M that day to 708k the next day, 635.7k the day after that, and 400.8k the day after that, demonstrating empirically that it's not all that simple really to maintain 1M doses per day once you hit that threshold for 2 days in a row, as had been done on 1/14 and 1/15; and the 2 previous days, 1/13 and 1/12, were under 1M doses as well despite 1/11 meeting the threshold.

So to reiterate it's dishonest to imply this is only a matter of 2%, and no, Trump was not doing 'a good job.' The man literally had no plan.

Advertisement