Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

EsdIVzGU4AAasCc?format=jpg&name=small

EsdIVzHUUAAueLL?format=jpg&name=large

Biden the fraud. Found out straight away.

you have managed to put 2 and 2 together and somehow get 93. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

EsdIVzGU4AAasCc?format=jpg&name=small

EsdIVzHUUAAueLL?format=jpg&name=large

Biden the fraud. Found out straight away.

This is a very poor effort. 1/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Billy Mays wrote: »
    In what way is Jimmy Carter a war criminal?

He's not, it's just a lie based on some very selective referencing of an opinion proffered by Noam Chomsky in 1990. I doubt the poster even read the article they quoted. To be a war criminal one has to go to war, at least that's the conventional wisdom. The poster who said that is a liar, pure and simple.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/11/01/fact-check-trump-not-first-president-since-eisenhower-without-new-war/6086636002/

Monsanto at the head of the department of agriculture..

Come on man..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Come on man..

What are you talking about?

Biden's nominee for Secretary of Agriculture is Tom Vilsack, nothing to do with Monsanto. He was also Obama's Secretary of Agriculture.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Biden's nominee for Secretary of Agriculture is Tom Vilsack, nothing to do with Monsanto. He was also Obama's Secretary of Agriculture.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/blog/back-future-tom-mr-monsanto-vilsack-part-i

Should have just included that in your first post - but this doesn’t at all demonstrate that he is an executive at Monsanto, or otherwise in bed with Monsanto. According to your link, he had the audacity to be at the head of USDA when Monsanto applied for approval of GMO products. There just isn’t a lot of scientific evidence that GMOs are bad for human consumption. There would have been no cause to deny the applications? What would you have done differently and under what justification?

Should have just included that in your first post - but this doesn’t at all demonstrate that he is an executive at Monsanto, or otherwise in bed with Monsanto. According to your link, he had the audacity to be at the head of USDA when Monsanto applied for approval of GMO products. There just isn’t a lot of scientific evidence that GMOs are bad for human consumption. There would have been no cause to deny the applications? What would you have done differently and under what justification?

Yeah, you're right, I should have..

But yeah, I think in time a lot of people are going to realise Biden isn't this messianic figure he's made out to be..he's just a return to the corrupt corporate war machine that's ruled Washington for a long time..

Anyway..Group hug..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Come on man..

More lies. Why do you always have to lie?
    He watered down GMO labeling proposals which benefited Monsanto but you're saying he is Monsanto and that they're effectively now heading up the USDA. Again, why lie? You could have made a half baked point if you weren't so mentally lazy. Is there any curiosity there at all or are you just trying to get a reaction? Very strange.

But yeah, I think in time a lot of people are going to realise Biden isn't this messianic figure he's made out to be..he's just a return to the corrupt corporate war machine that's ruled Washington for a long time..

Anyway..Group hug..

So it’s strawman arguments then, as I can’t remember at any time anyone ever propped up Biden as a “messianic figure.” He was picked by the plurality of voters because he is a practical centrist pick.

Meanwhile quislings think Trump was chosen by god to fight a holy war against satanic pedophiles :pac:

Next non scandal please

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyway..Group hug..

This is the thing the Trumpists can't understand. They view Trump as some sort of avatar for their own antediluvian, putrid views and worship him as some sort of God as a result. As such, they see everyone else as being like them.

Biden is not the messiah. He is not going to fix much, if anything. People were elated that he won because he's the lesser of two evils and we've seen how low American politics can sink, how bad it can truly get.

Americans struggling to afford education or healthcare will struggle to afford those things come 2024. America will still have to reckon with its history regarding Imperialism and race. It's deep problems will endure.

But we at least have a president and vice president who are qualified and can convincingly say that Nazis and white supremacy are bad. The fact that such people were elected and caused a sigh of relief is truly depressing though not so much as the fake concern and fake news we're going to have to endure for the next few years.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

coolbeans wrote: »
    More lies. Why do you always have to lie?
    He watered down GMO labeling proposals which benefited Monsanto but you're saying he is Monsanto and that they're effectively now heading up the USDA. Again, why lie? You could have made a half baked point if you weren't so mentally lazy. Is there any curiosity there at all or are you just trying to get a reaction? Very strange.

It would have backfired anyway, if as the USDA head he had blocked all proposals for GMOs. They would have won a lot of ground in higher court if the administration was singling out a company like Monsanto basically telling them they wouldn’t be allowed to carry on as a GMO company. Now I’d love some common sense reforms in the agri business but that’s a matter for Congress not the USDA. Law as it is, you can do crazy **** like force your farmers to buy new seed every season etc. but that’s not the fault of the USDA, they just administrate the law.

It’s been such a slow news day. Is this what weekends used to be like before Trump? I’ve forgot.

He approved gmo produce, while there's issue around patenting in the field, overall Gmo products offer huge benefits. So yep, not exactly a scandal that he approved many gmo seeds etc when that was a part of his role. So what exactly is the controversy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Anyway..Group hug..

The only people calling Biden a messiah are Republicans/Conservatives/Trump fans etc who keep saying he isn't actually a messiah.

No one advocating for him over the last 10 months used the words Biden and messiah in the same sentence, except maybe to say 'Biden is no messiah'.

As ancapailldorcha just pointed out, and I and others have said previously, the pleasure at seeing him elected was because it meant Trump was kicked out. And let me explain this before you go off talking about TDS or anything else to deflect from the reality.

4 years ago, when Trump won many people said that he was going to be terrible, that he was completely unfit for the job, that he was too undiplomatic, inexperienced and motivated by selfish means. We said that his rhetoric and bluster would set bad examples as to what constituted good leadership. We thought that the Machine of the Big Government would temper him and keep him in check but alas we were 100% right about the first part, and wrong about the second. The last 4 years have been an unmitigated disaster from a diplomacy standpoint. He flat out denied scientific evidence, he took a completely hostile approach to the media, he showed incredible selfishness with a desire for ratings, awards and praise dominating his focus amidst periods of crises. And he completely undermined the democratic process in supposedly the most powerful democracy in the world.

I don't mind saying that on the night of the 3rd of November I couldn't sleep when the results were at that phase where he had swung in to the lead after on the day voting was finished and before the mail in ballots were counted. And this wasn't because of any demented liberal ideals of wanting my guy to win or anything that you might want to think it was. I was very concerned as to what a victory for him would mean for the rest of the world going forward. Over the last 4 years and specifically over the last 8 months, we had seen him lie, deflect, accuse, undermine, attack people and organisations specifically in place to try to keep society safe. Not to mention his overt allegiance with white supremacist groups. Were a President, (given the power the office of the President of the US holds) to be returned after such a performance I was genuinely concerned as to how it would influence politicians in other countries worldwide and the negative impacts of this.

You might think that that is dramatic but we saw UK politicians lead the way in bluster and dramatic nationalistic rhetoric almost in parallel to Trumps Presidency over the last 4 years. We've seen Bolsanaro roll back human rights legislation in Brazil, right wing supported initiatives in Poland and Hungary gain significant ground and even in Ireland a Donald Trump mini-me type character seek to gain an influential position with some of the same tricks as Trump used.

Thankfully, Ireland rejected this opportunist on several occasions but even so we have seen the growth of far right groups and believers of conspiracy theories surrounding global politics and things like Covid-19. Hell, we've seen a female politician of asian heritage being targeted by some of these people and the contents of some threads even on here are not too dissimilar to what a couple of years ago people were talking about on 4chan and reddit as being examples of a growing mindset.

Biden winning has not undone the damage Trump did to the office, but it has dramatically reduced the likelihood of more damage being done in the same way when someone such as Trump is in power. We are going to be paying a price for this for a long time as Trump did 'empower' so many, such as yourself, to take up his baseless accusations of stolen elections and we have already seen prominent US politicians who definitely have their eyes on the Presidency for themselves in future have tried to appeal to the people through using much of the same baseless notions. But for now, it was a victory for diplomacy to see Biden win and hopefully Democrats can genuinely make progress in key areas so conservatives recognize that unless they move back from the right wing views espoused by Trump, they will likely be playing second fiddle to the Democrats for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The only people calling Biden a messiah are Republicans/Conservatives/Trump fans etc who keep saying he isn't actually a messiah.

No one advocating for him over the last 10 months used the words Biden and messiah in the same sentence, except maybe to say 'Biden is no messiah'.

As ancapailldorcha just pointed out, and I and others have said previously, the pleasure at seeing him elected was because it meant Trump was kicked out. And let me explain this before you go off talking about TDS or anything else to deflect from the reality.

4 years ago, when Trump won many people said that he was going to be terrible, that he was completely unfit for the job, that he was too undiplomatic, inexperienced and motivated by selfish means. We said that his rhetoric and bluster would set bad examples as to what constituted good leadership. We thought that the Machine of the Big Government would temper him and keep him in check but alas we were 100% right about the first part, and wrong about the second. The last 4 years have been an unmitigated disaster from a diplomacy standpoint. He flat out denied scientific evidence, he took a completely hostile approach to the media, he showed incredible selfishness with a desire for ratings, awards and praise dominating his focus amidst periods of crises. And he completely undermined the democratic process in supposedly the most powerful democracy in the world.

I don't mind saying that on the night of the 3rd of November I couldn't sleep when the results were at that phase where he had swung in to the lead after on the day voting was finished and before the mail in ballots were counted. And this wasn't because of any demented liberal ideals of wanting my guy to win or anything that you might want to think it was. I was very concerned as to what a victory for him would mean for the rest of the world going forward. Over the last 4 years and specifically over the last 8 months, we had seen him lie, deflect, accuse, undermine, attack people and organisations specifically in place to try to keep society safe. Not to mention his overt allegiance with white supremacist groups. Were a President, (given the power the office of the President of the US holds) to be returned after such a performance I was genuinely concerned as to how it would influence politicians in other countries worldwide and the negative impacts of this.

You might think that that is dramatic but we saw UK politicians lead the way in bluster and dramatic nationalistic rhetoric almost in parallel to Trumps Presidency over the last 4 years. We've seen Bolsanaro roll back human rights legislation in Brazil, right wing supported initiatives in Poland and Hungary gain significant ground and even in Ireland a Donald Trump mini-me type character seek to gain an influential position with some of the same tricks as Trump used.

Thankfully, Ireland rejected this opportunist on several occasions but even so we have seen the growth of far right groups and believers of conspiracy theories surrounding global politics and things like Covid-19. Hell, we've seen a female politician of asian heritage being targeted by some of these people and the contents of some threads even on here are not too dissimilar to what a couple of years ago people were talking about on 4chan and reddit as being examples of a growing mindset.

Biden winning has not undone the damage Trump did to the office, but it has dramatically reduced the likelihood of more damage being done in the same way when someone such as Trump is in power. We are going to be paying a price for this for a long time as Trump did 'empower' so many, such as yourself, to take up his baseless accusations of stolen elections and we have already seen prominent US politicians who definitely have their eyes on the Presidency for themselves in future have tried to appeal to the people through using much of the same baseless notions. But for now, it was a victory for diplomacy to see Biden win and hopefully Democrats can genuinely make progress in key areas so conservatives recognize that unless they move back from the right wing views espoused by Trump, they will likely be playing second fiddle to the Democrats for many years to come.

The US Democratic Party are part of the problem that led to the creation of Trumpism. The movement that led to Trump is going nowhere until the inequality of the USA, and idea of exceptionalism are addressed, but neither party are bothered to do so because of fear of upsetting the apple cart.

Brexit was borne out of similoar inequality and fuelled by empty rhetoric. The acceleration of right-wing movements are the result of decades of neglect, leading to... inequality. Brazil, UK and the USA all have this in common, it's no coincidence.

The US Democratic Party are part of the problem that led to the creation of Trumpism. The movement that led to Trump is going nowhere until the inequality of the USA, the Idea of exceptional ism and systemic cracks that run through it, are addressed but neither party are bothered to do so because of fear of upsetting the apple cart.

Don't see how the Democrat party can be held in any way responsible for Trump. Think a massive part of his success was simply down to him being Fox News's chosen candidate and the reach they have in to American homes.

Trump took hold of the Republican Primaries and secured the election in 2016 with the 'Build the wall/Drain the swamp/Lock her up' phrases alongside an 'America First' supposed ideology.

What way was any of this targeting any equality in the US outside of just telling people that he was going to do so? Companies connected to himself and his connections were first in line for funding supports in his finance bill while he only started advocating for increased funding for individuals when it became a stick he could use to beat Republican he felt had let him down.

Brexit was borne out of similoar inequality and fuelled by empty rhetoric. The acceleration of right-wing movements are borne out of neglect leading to inequality. Brazil, UK and the USA all have this in common, it's no coincidence.

All the big advocates of Brexit come from monied backgrounds who exploited the lack of attention regional communities felt along with those in more secure environments who have probably held life long support for the ideals around the British Empire.
    Brexit did not arise from disadvantaged groups calling for action and building a groundswell of support which politicians ultimately vowed to support and fight for any more in the UK than Trump was elected after disenfranchised groups demanded a leader and he truly represented them. (simplistic and all as my summation and these comparisons are).

The Democrats in the US (at least more so than anything on the conservative side) are advocates of wider access to healthcare and improved access to education with reduced costs. They are also more widely supportive of BLM and providing a pathway to immigration of existing aliens along with funding for individuals suffering as a consequence of Covid than simply businesses.
    Hard to see how the party with these ideals is not seen as the one trying to target inequality.

Speaking of slow news days - Fox has become relegated to calling Biden's 'unity' speech, which specifically called for people to unite against white supremacy - a 'declaration of war against MAGA'

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1353164564104437760?s=20
    “Part of the protection plan requires an enemy. And that enemy is the populist wing of the Republican Party. Whoever wrote Joe Biden’s inaugural address understands that and declared war on MAGA, under the banner of unity,” Watters stated.

Watters’ program then played a segment from the speech where Biden called on the country to fight political extremism and white supremacy, and urged the nation to unify.

Who wants to tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Speaking of slow news days - Fox has become relegated to calling Biden's 'unity' speech, which specifically called for people to unite against white supremacy - a 'declaration of war against MAGA'

At least they are finally admitting MAGA are white supremacists...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Anyway..Group hug..

I have never once seen a Biden supporter talk about Biden in messianic terms. Not once.

Trump supporters seem incapable of wrapping their heads around the idea other people don't simply want "their own" Trump. There is no Democratic Trump, in the same way there is no Republican Biden. Reps and Dems want different things from how their leaders operate, not just their promises, Republicans want a king or a televangelist and Democrats want a civil servant or a social worker.

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1353164564104437760?s=20

Who wants to tell them?

Rand Paul said the same thing on a Fox interview. Let them do it. Their President said there were fine people on the side of White Supremacists at Charlottsville and then told a white supremacist group to Stand Back and Stand By 3 months before the led an insurrection at the White House after which several GOP representatives still voted to question an election about which there had been 60 court cases thrown out over lack of evidence.

If it looks like a duck, and so on, and so on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

coolbeans wrote: »
    He's not, it's just a lie based on some very selective referencing of an opinion proffered by Noam Chomsky in 1990. I doubt the poster even read the article they quoted. To be a war criminal one has to go to war, at least that's the conventional wisdom. The poster who said that is a liar, pure and simple.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/11/01/fact-check-trump-not-first-president-since-eisenhower-without-new-war/6086636002/

The poster is low wattage, best ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Kamala Harris 2020: "Joe Biden will not ban fracking. That is a fact."

Biden administration 2021: "Yes we are following through with a fracking ban."

Thousands of jobs lost on the first day in the office is not good.

Though the Biden admin telling pipeline workers that they can find another job is akin to saying 'just buy a house' to homeless people. The unions backed Biden and harris, and now they’re dragging him over killing Keystone XL :confused: They eat their own, this shouldn't have shocked the gob****es. They got what they voted for :D

Esd2PucXMAAMGwj?format=jpg&name=medium
    vglin

Thanks to Press Secretary Jen Psaki now my response to anybody giving me sh*t about masks will now be "We have bigger issues to worry about". Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Though the Biden admin telling pipeline workers that they can find another job is akin to saying 'just buy a house' to homeless people. The unions backed Biden and harris, and now they’re dragging him over killing Keystone XL :confused: They eat their own, this shouldn't have shocked the gob****es. They got what they voted for :D

vglin

Thanks to Press Secretary Jen Psaki now my response to anybody giving me sh*t about masks will now be "We have bigger issues to worry about". Nice one
    So fcuk climate change and fcuk the ranchers and indigenous people whose lands would be destroyed. Okie dokie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

vglin

Based on the firmly established fact of CO2's contribution to destroying the planet, do you think the fossil fuel industry should honestly be given a leg up?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

vglin

It's 2021 and it's a global movement towards green energy. So it's fantastic news they want ban fracking. Times change. We don't coat perishables with lead cans anymore and as a society should be moving away from fossil fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

vglin

That’s great news.
    Joe is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What are you talking about? Biden administration has not banned fracking. 90% of fracking takes place on private land. Biden has only stopped drilling on federal lands for time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Delighted Biden got in but this obsession of claiming people who are a few generations removed from Ireland is getting cringe. Joe Biden is American and he can say I'm Irish as much as he wants but that is not the case.

He can be proud of his roots, yes but he was born in America, raised in America and is an American. But we're jumping on the bandwagon and saying he is indeed Irish. As if the Obama Plaza wasn't cringe-inducing enough!

IMO you're Irish there is a parent (or parents) who are Irish and has instilled some of our culture in their child or you're born and spent a good portion of your life here. Not after separation of a century and a half from any tangible connection a la Biden ancestry.

Too many folks saying an Irish-American president. He's American!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Delighted Biden got in but this obsession of claiming people who are a few generations removed from Ireland is getting cringe. Joe Biden is American and he can say I'm Irish as much as he wants but that is not the case.

He can be proud of his roots, yes but he was born in America, raised in America and is an American. But we're jumping on the bandwagon and saying he is indeed Irish. As if the Obama Plaza wasn't cringe-inducing enough!

IMO you're Irish there is a parent (or parents) who are Irish and has instilled some of our culture in their child or you're born and spent a good portion of your life here. Not after separation of a century and a half from any tangible connection a la Biden ancestry.

We would claim anyone in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

chrissb8 wrote: »

He's American of mostly Irish ancestry.

Ethnicity: Irish (62.5%), as well as English, German, and remote French, Scottish, and Welsh.

https://ethnicelebs.com/joe-biden

Advertisement