Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Overheal wrote: »
    Good questions that I guess we will need to revisit when this starts to take on more tangible form

I don't think a "thanks" click adequately complements this superb - superb - response to one of the most obviously bad-faith statements I've seen in a post. Absolutely savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Re the "Equality" thing, what's been repeated here is the summary. The full order - which is on whitehouse.gov - is very specifically worded. Agencies are asked to identify any systemic barriers that may be in place preventing people from underrepresented or underserved communities either participating in government agencies or accessing government programs, with a view to remedying the issue where found. In other words, make sure the best person for the job is in a position to actually apply for it, and that people eligible for government support can actually access their entitlements.

There are also instructions with regard to the compilation of relevant datasets, establishment of a working group, and a revocation of a previous Trump EO banning diversity training.

It's not airy fairy stuff, it outlines very specific measures and timeframes.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-advancing-racial-equity-and-support-for-underserved-communities-through-the-federal-government/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very exciting development, seems an Irish Designer designed Jill Bidens face mask, I just can't contain myself, RTE dedicated 5 minutes on the one o clock news on this breaking news. Won't be long now till a planning application launched for an O Biden Plaza at the roundabout just outside BALLINA, FFS.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,174 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Very exciting development, seems an Irish Designer designed Jill Bidens face mask, I just can't contain myself, RTE dedicated 5 minutes on the one o clock news on this breaking news. Won't be long now till a planning application launched for an O Biden Plaza at the roundabout just outside BALLINA, FFS.

the shock for you is that it won't be one but two, one in Mayo and another in Louth. Oh the outrage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ole ole ole..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Very exciting development, seems an Irish Designer designed Jill Bidens face mask, I just can't contain myself

Nice to see Irish designers doing well for themselves. Most of us aren't miserable begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Isn't life just so darn awful.

I mean like all of it. Boooo hissssss etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

listermint wrote: »
    Isn't life just so darn awful.

I mean like all of it. Boooo hissssss etc etc.

lol It is a bit cringe for us to make a big swing of that in fairness.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

lol It is a bit cringe for us to make a big swing of that in fairness.

How?

A lot of online commentary was based around Jill’s mask/outfit coordination. I see no problem with giving the designer kudos if she’s from here.

Some people actually want the world to be a miserable place. Go outside for some fresh air, lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Bloody Republicans.
    Far too deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The New York Post? about as useful as a poll in the National Enquirer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Impossible task after the carnage of the last 12 years, further accelerated in the past 4 years.

From the people who pushed Hunter Biden conspiracies. The NY Post are tabloid trash...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd probably respond in the negative too.

Not because I think Biden won't try or isn't a decent person etc.

But just the fact that the US is so utterly polarised and no one person or 4 (or even 8) year Administration is going to make much of a dent in that.

Restoration of overall unity and "society" in the US is a generational effort at this point.

The sad reality is that there are probably 50% of the US population that would not give a positive rating to the "other side" under any circumstance , no matter what they did or said.

In the current climate if a US President (from either side) was able to sustain a popularity rating around 60-65% I'd consider them to be operating at 100% approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Thankfully the Post article links to the Ipsos site which has the actual data from the poll.
    How much confidence do you have in Joe Biden to make progress on unifying the country:

Total
    A great deal - 22
    A good amount - 35
    Not so much - 19
    None at all - 24
    Skipped - 1

A great deal/a good amount (Net) - 57
    Not so much/none at all (Net) - 42

So, rather than running with the headline "Majority of Americans have confidence Biden can unite the country" an editor at the NYP decided to instead go with "1 in 5 Americans have confidence Biden can unite the country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I must say it's relaxing not overly concerning oneself with what shenanigans or pain the U.S. President might inflict on an hourly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I must say it's relaxing not overly concerning oneself with what shenanigans or pain the U.S. President might inflict on an hourly basis.

But he wore a nice watch and has a fancy exercise bike!! This is the worst thing a president has done since the tan-suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It is pretty good. I've been surprisingly impressed at how much actively good stuff Biden's ticked off already too, I get the impression this admin was very ready to come correct this time around.

I don't mean to overstate or get carried away, but could this in fact be the first recorded instance in history of the Democratic Party learning from their past mistakes?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Source?

You may be waiting for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Faugheen wrote: »
    How?

A lot of online commentary was based around Jill’s mask/outfit coordination. I see no problem with giving the designer kudos if she’s from here.

Some people actually want the world to be a miserable place. Go outside for some fresh air, lads

lol Good for you but we don't all have to live your way, go preach somewhere else.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Come on guys, stop feeding trolls. Thread cleaned up

It is pretty good. I've been surprisingly impressed at how much actively good stuff Biden's ticked off already too, I get the impression this admin was very ready to come correct this time around.

I don't mean to overstate or get carried away, but could this in fact be the first recorded instance in history of the Democratic Party learning from their past mistakes?!?

I believe putting Biden forward means they probably haven't. Coupled with Pelosi's attitude towards AOC etc..
    While Biden is much more preferable to Trump, the Dems need an overhaul IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Many of us enjoyed the drama.

Many of us enjoyed the drama.

The human cost was too much. Kids in cages, the rise of the Alt-Right etc. etc.
    He made me feel pity for the citizens of the U.S.A.

Biden will be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Impossible task after the carnage of the last 12 years, further accelerated in the past 4 years.

Lol what are you on about the last 12 years. Trump was only there for 4 years. The 8 years before that were good years with a great American President maybe the best one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

AMKC wrote: »
    Lol what are you on about the last 12 years. Trump was only there for 4 years. The 8 years before that were good years with a great American President maybe the best one ever.

From a liberal point of view, maybe - but to conservatives, he wasn't,

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

From a liberal point of view, maybe - but to conservatives, he wasn't,

Yeah he brought back jobs, saw Dow rise massively, extended Bushes tax cuts, used Romneys health care plan.

Like Bill and Hillary Clinton the only reason Republicans hated Obama was because he wasn't Republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The human cost was too much. Kids in cages, the rise of the Alt-Right etc. etc.
    He made me feel pity for the citizens of the U.S.A.

Biden will be a step in the right direction.

Well I hope you don't look at what's happening in parts of the Middle East, Africa and South America.

You won't sleep at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well I hope you don't look at what's happening in parts of the Middle East, Africa and South America.

You won't sleep at all.

Do you "enjoy" all that drama too?

Advertisement