Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lol.
    I thought my rant was in the Covid thread and assumed it was swiftly deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Had Double 8 the other day, was superb - whatever nut/spice mix they have is to die for. The Chinese peanuts are class give them a bash.

Was talking to the guy in there and they will also eventually have Coo Coo and Rice sold out of that unit. All in it looks like Press Up have Cork in their sights between recent addition of Elephant and castle, WowBurger, Dollard and Co plus the above, plus Sophie's in the Dean hotel actually. I also hear they are eyeing a Stella Cinema and cocktail bar in the Savoy.

People will have mixed feelings on that I'm sure but personally think its not a bad thing to expand the offering of the city centre. Theyre a big group yes but its not like McDonalds on every corner each restaurant is from the outside a standalone venture, and they tend to do very nice refurbs of old building where they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭RINO87

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Had Double 8 the other day, was superb - whatever nut/spice mix they have is to die for. The Chinese peanuts are class give them a bash.

Was talking to the guy in there and they will also eventually have Coo Coo and Rice sold out of that unit. All in it looks like Press Up have Cork in their sights between recent addition of Elephant and castle, WowBurger, Dollard and Co plus the above, plus Sophie's in the Dean hotel actually. I also hear they are eyeing a Stella Cinema and cocktail bar in the Savoy.

People will have mixed feelings on that I'm sure but personally think its not a bad thing to expand the offering of the city centre. Theyre a big group yes but its not like McDonalds on every corner each restaurant is from the outside a standalone venture, and they tend to do very nice refurbs of old building where they can.

I'd love to see them do a similar job to the Stella in the Savoy!! It's a fantastic space, totally wasted, and the Cocktail bar in the Stella is class!
    As I type, actually, I remember before Christmas that an "un-named food and beverage group" had taken over the Pavillion, so i wonder if thats where they are going?

bingo9999 wrote: »

I'm standing outside there now and there is no sign of its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Would love to see elephant and castle set up shop down here fully!

Big fan if the wings aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

RINO87 wrote: »
    I'd love to see them do a similar job to the Stella in the Savoy!! It's a fantastic space, totally wasted, and the Cocktail bar in the Stella is class!
    As I type, actually, I remember before Christmas that an "un-named food and beverage group" had taken over the Pavillion, so i wonder if thats where they are going?

Where is Stella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

fin12 wrote: »
    Where is Stella?

https://stellacinemas.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Was hungry in town so I got a slice of pizza from Fast Al's.
    Last time I had pizza from there it was beyond awful so I wasn't expecting much.
    It was actually pretty tasty - too much cheese, but it is Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

You can never have too much cheese (IMO). :D
    Town is in within my 5k but haven't been in since before Christmas. I'm gonna have to go in for pierogi and dumplings soon though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

Was hungry in town so I got a slice of pizza from Fast Al's.
    Last time I had pizza from there it was beyond awful so I wasn't expecting much.
    It was actually pretty tasty - too much cheese, but it is Ireland!

lol i have only ever had Fast Al's at 3 in the morn after The Crane Lane.. always wake up thinking "why did i do that??!! grr"... man they smell great after a load of beer though... :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

RINO87 wrote: »

I love the Stella. I'll always take myself out to Rathmines if I'm in Dublin with a bit of time to kill. I think the Savoy would be a great space for something similar.

sporina wrote: »
    lol i have only ever had Fast Al's at 3 in the morn after The Crane Lane.. always wake up thinking "why did i do that??!! grr"... man they smell great after a load of beer though... :D

Just a slice was fine, today. This was from the castle street/South main street /paradise place outlet. Don't know if this makes a difference. Like many of these things, it's probably most dependent on who's working there at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

Just a slice was fine, today. This was from the castle street/South main street /paradise place outlet. Don't know if this makes a difference. Like many of these things, it's probably most dependent on who's working there at the time.

nah i don't think it does - have had em from all 3 locations at one time or another over the years.. have often had to go further than Pembrook St when the queues wer too long.. oh gee - those wer the days - pubbin and clubbin - seems like a long time ago - darn virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭RINO87

On Double 8 - Is this more of a snack/lunch type place, or would you get a dinner out of it? Would it be a good idea for a Sat night takeaway, or would you be left hungry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm standing outside there now and there is no sign of its existence.

Is it a ghost kitchen?

Those warehouses where branded groups rent catering space and hook up to drliveroo?

pwurple wrote: »
    Is it a ghost kitchen?

Those warehouses where branded groups rent catering space and hook up to drliveroo?

I don't know. Perhaps they operate from the kitchen in South Main Street and they haven't put up a sign yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Had planned to get Miyazaki this weekend but it was gone from deliveroo. Could have sworn I saw it on the app last wkend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I don't know. Perhaps they operate from the kitchen in South Main Street and they haven't put up a sign yet?

A post on their Instagram says it's operating out of Captain America's.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJyIRHCn-Yz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Pen Rua wrote: »
    A post on their Instagram says it's operating out of Captain America's.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJyIRHCn-Yz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks.
    You'd think they'd put a sign of some sort up as they do take out as well as delivery.
    My wife was looking for a snack the other day and I sent her there but she came back saying she couldn't find it.
    Got goyza from LaoDao, instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

Am I crazy or is there about four places working out of Captain Americas at the moment?

Wowburger. Dollard Pizza. Captian America's itself and now Double 8.

ThePott wrote: »
    Am I crazy or is there about four places working out of Captain Americas at the moment?

Wowburger. Dollard Pizza. Captian America's itself and now Double 8.

Elephant and Castle, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Elephant and Castle, too.

There is also a Indian place and another Chinese place out of it to,

I say they have turned what used to be Wagamama’s/ wow burger into a huge kitchen as not a hope they be able to run all them places out of captions !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wouldn't order from any of them.

Wow Burger, their burgers are very small.

Elephant And Castle are charging 6 euros for chips and Captain Americas are charging 16 for wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

siblers wrote: »

Elephant And Castle are charging 6 euros for chips and Captain Americas are charging 16 for wings.

The pricing on Elephant & Castle is annoying - no indication of portion size. We ordered from Wow Burger back in October and it hit the spot (and was decently priced). Ordered from Captain Americas earlier this month and it was meh - measly portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Haven't tried Elephant and Castle but I'm a fan of the other 3. Philly Cheese Steak with pepper sauce is my Captain Americas go to. :D

The pricing on Elephant & Castle is annoying - no indication of portion size. We ordered from Wow Burger back in October and it hit the spot (and was decently priced). Ordered from Captain Americas earlier this month and it was meh - measly portions.

I got a burger from Wow Burger and I laughed at how small it was. It was gone in 2 bites

You can get 20 wings from The Golden Fry for a fiver and they are really nice.

For 16, it would want to be a massive portion.

If I pay 6 euros for chips, they would want to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I got a burger from Wow Burger and I laughed at how small it was. It was gone in 2 bites

Cool story.

I must try Wow. Sounds excellent.

Got Coriander in Ballincollig last night. Very good overall. Well priced and quality seemed decent.

Is Zambrero still operating inside in Dennehys Cross?

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    Cool story.

I must try Wow. Sounds excellent.

Got Coriander in Ballincollig last night. Very good overall. Well priced and quality seemed decent.

Is Zambrero still operating inside in Dennehys Cross?

Thanks. I thought it was a pretty cool story

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement