Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

theglobe wrote: »
    It helps to order on an off peak night. Get your treat on a Monday or Tuesday instead of a Friday if you don't mind too much :)

yes I was gonna suggest same.. but i can understand why people would prefer a take out at the end of a busy work week...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My daughters 21st is coming up in a couple of weeks so I’d be delighted with some recommendations for a nice takeout meal please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork Lass wrote: »
    My daughters 21st is coming up in a couple of weeks so I’d be delighted with some recommendations for a nice takeout meal please.

What type of food is her favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Going by most on here, I’d say one giant platter of goujons from Sober Lane :-)

If it’s a sit down dinner type thing you’re going for maybe Glass Curtain or Greenes. If you’d like a selection of different dishes then Cask maybe. They all do cocktails as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, the masses seem to be fans of chicken nuggets and chips alright. :-D

Casks' cocktails are complex and amazing, but I don't know would your average 20/21 year old be a seasoned enough drinker to enjoy those... Greenes and Glass Curtain;s offerings are great shout outs, both really good for special occasions, and it's a bit of fun putting them together at home with their plating videos I think.

Miyazaki does delivery if you're near the city.

We got Elbow lane take-away Ribs in early December and they were fantastic, and that whole group were doing take-away, but not sure they are open again yet. Paradiso seems to be stopped doing the finish at home.

• Advertisement

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Going by most on here, I’d say one giant platter of goujons from Sober Lane :-)

If it’s a sit down dinner type thing you’re going for maybe Glass Curtain or Greenes. If you’d like a selection of different dishes then Cask maybe. They all do cocktails as well.
    pwurple wrote: »

Casks' cocktails are complex and amazing, but I don't know would your average 20/21 year old be a seasoned enough drinker to enjoy those... Greenes and Glass Curtain;s offerings are great shout outs, both really good for special occasions, and it's a bit of fun putting them together at home with their plating videos I think.

We got Elbow lane take-away Ribs in early December and they were fantastic, and that whole group were doing take-away, but not sure they are open again yet. Paradiso seems to be stopped doing the finish at home.

with regards to comments about Sober Lane and fans of "chicken nuggets" etc.. I can only speak for myself but I am v particular about what I eat - fresh produce mostly - fresh fish from The English Market about 3 times/week.. I rarely eat fast food - and I mean that sincerely... but Sober Lane's Goujons are exceptional - unhealthy for sure but excellent quality and so tasty... they are famous for a good reason.. (unlike some other places I could name).. after that its the odd pizza from Novecento or Thai dish from The Golden Elephant.. both excellent as far as fast food goes imo... but yeah.. there seems to be a bit of cynicism about Sober Lane on here - but thankfully its in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    with regards to comments about Sober.
    there seems to be a bit of cynicism about Sober Lane on here - but thankfully its in the minority

No, I don't think there is.
    I think some people are bemused, I know I am, by the fact that there are about 40 posts spread over a couple of months about one dish from one bar/restaurant. And most of them are from one poster.
    It's kinda become a bit of a running joke, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

The chicken nuggets from Sober Lane have the potential to become as over hyped as KCs!

Ah ya, I was clearly joking. Although if the birthday girl likes goujons then Sober Lane might be a good shout!

I’ve been in there a handful of times, about 5 years ago at this stage, and did enjoy the food. Can’t remember the goujons tbh but am intrigued to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

No, I don't think there is.
    I think some people are bemused, I know I am, by the fact that there are about 40 posts spread over a couple of months about one dish from one bar/restaurant. And most of them are from one poster.
    It's kinda become a bit of a running joke, really.
    U are on ur own there.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    U are on ur own there.

You speak for everyone who visits this thread?
    Fair play.

You speak for everyone who visits this thread?
    Fair play.

No but u are trying to, saying it’s a running joke. What’s the joke exactly? People either like the Goujons or they don? And last time I checked there’s no limit on the amount of times u can recommend an establishment in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Never posted about them before, but the goujons in Sober Lane have been great for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

This thread is about restaurants. Nuggets from a bar should be in the Nuggets From A Bar thread.

What type of food is her favourite?

Vegetarian or fish - other than that she’s easy :rolleyes:

I think Cask might be a good option alright and she definitely has a lip for cocktails. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions :)

Vegetarian or fish - other than that she’s easy :rolleyes:

Iyer's is opening again next weekend, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

On the back of previous reccommendations I had thali tonight.
    Enjoyed it a lot
    Good naan, nice appetizers. Had a curry with a 2 chili rating which I thought might be too spicy for me but i think it should have been a 1 at best. But lovely flavour regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Iyer's is opening again next weekend, too.

This is on my list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Did anyone try eatstreet on it's opening weekend? Really interested to see how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Did anyone try eatstreet on it's opening weekend? Really interested to see how it is

Planning on ordering from them tonight or next weekend.

Although I don't really buy it that they're selling it as a healthy take away. It's still burgers and chips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

siblers wrote: »
    Planning on ordering from them tonight or next weekend.

Although I don't really buy it that they're selling it as a healthy take away. It's still burgers and chips

Think they've fully booked out this weekend, opening again the 14th

titan18 wrote: »
    Since you're all on about Sober Lane, any idea why no pizzas? Would have thought that would be something they'd offer for collection but doesn't appear for order. Just going there for goujons or wings (not really a burger fan) seems meh for me.
    Cotts72 wrote: »

saw that advertised on the Naturally Nourished fb page - where is the actual premises? couldn't figure it out... burgers are not my thing but I am big fan of Naturally Nourished so I am sure its good stuff (sister co. I believe)

Had Soba there. Not sure why noodles, a few slices of beef and teriyaki sauce costs 16 euros.

Pure rip off

fin12 wrote: »
    U are on ur own there.

Not at all......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭RINO87

Had Soba there. Not sure why noodles, a few slices of beef and teriyaki sauce costs 16 euros.

Pure rip off

What did you get? We have found the portions in soba Blackpool to be massive, and are big eaters!

RINO87 wrote: »
    What did you get? We have found the portions in soba Blackpool to be massive, and are big eaters!

Beef Tiriyaka. It was a big enough portion but was 90% noodles and noodles aren't exactly expensive so don't see how it cost so much

Pure rip off

€13.90 on the menu?
    It’s steak is it, rather than a cheaper beef?
    Most dishes are around €12, so if it is steak, it’ll be extra. Not saying it’s worth €14 either but not sure why you were charged €16.

• Advertisement

I think Cask might be a good option alright and she definitely has a lip for cocktails. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions :)

With Cask be weary some of the portions are small so make sure you get enough. Tasty though. Few veg & fish options too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement