Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

DavidX90 wrote: »

Upon Re-checking his comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Upon Re-checking his comment.

"Integrity"

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

What bloody difference is pushing it back 3 weeks going to make??

Could be the difference between a pass and a fail with that amount of time, im delighted we got it, didn't want it pushed too much longer as I just want to he them over and done with

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Lealaw wrote: »
    Hey,

I posted some of the below a week ago but it might be of some use. I did it in the last sitting and passed. I am similar, I was new to law and a few years out of college. I covered it myself and must admit it clicked a few days before the exam but prior to that I felt a bit lost. But here are some tips that might help.

I'd recommend covering as much of the course as possible. Usually the criminal problem questions cover a number of different issues so you mainly just need surface knowledge. I'd cover Murder/ manslaughter in closer detail as this tends to be a more detailed question.

The main issues I covered, but each to their own:
    Murder / manslaughter
    Sexual offences
    Theft / offences against the property
    Non-fatal offences against the person
    Inchoate offences: conspiracy, incitement attempt, joint enterprise (came up in November), perjury and contempt,
    Criminal law defences: provocation (November essay question), intoxication, insanity, automatism, self-defence, duress, necessity and defence of consent
    Practice and procedure: right to silence, presumption of innocence, arrest without warrant, bail, criminal cts.
    Additional: Classification of offences, strict liability, mens rea/ actus reus

The examiner reports are great for Criminal. The examiner covers in detail what he is looking for. They are a good place to start and although the exact same question may not be asked similar scenarios are. Look at March 2020 sitting and the previous year, it is unlikely the main issues that came up in November will reappear in March.

Hope it is of some help. Also the Night Before Notes by City College are great and give you some recent case law which always helps.

Best of luck

That’s great. Thanks!! Need to get more cases so thanks for that last comment too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

NewFe1 wrote: »
    The subject field on the email they sent back to me after I sent my recheck form says "Possible Impersonation". Anyone else?

Did they fail all your exams when you knew you did well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

APower79 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope most of you are ok with the pushing forward of the next exams and congrats to those who passed the November exams. I’m sitting criminal (my first exam, not a law graduate and much older than a lot of you!) next March. I’ve got my notes sorted and have most examiners reports. Have a few sample answers but need some more. Starting to work on those from next week. I only have a a couple of hrs max a day. Any advice?! Thanks!

I would recommend looking at the grid and seeing what topics usually come up as easy questions and learn some of those topics in dept. For the problme questions you should know a little about a lot of topics. For the NFOAP be able to say what section of the act, a line to describe it and a case to go with it. Murder/manslaughter/ sexual offences and assault you might want to learn a couple of more cases for as they might be the main focus of the question and then the other NFOAP will just be in the backgorund to pick up extra marks. There isn't a lot you can leave out so you just need to wrap your head around each topic. I got 62 in November so if I get my script back in time I can post it for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Any company sample answers around someone is willing to share?

Anyone? This would be a massive help...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Anyone? This would be a massive help...

Pm me your email I’m nearly sure I still have them somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

Does anyone have a company law grid the one I have is a bit confusing. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

awsah wrote: »
    I would recommend looking at the grid and seeing what topics usually come up as easy questions and learn some of those topics in dept. For the problme questions you should know a little about a lot of topics. For the NFOAP be able to say what section of the act, a line to describe it and a case to go with it. Murder/manslaughter/ sexual offences and assault you might want to learn a couple of more cases for as they might be the main focus of the question and then the other NFOAP will just be in the backgorund to pick up extra marks. There isn't a lot you can leave out so you just need to wrap your head around each topic. I got 62 in November so if I get my script back in time I can post it for reference.

Great, thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

Guys. Has anyone who did a prep course contacted your teachers in the colleges to let them know what's going on with the grades? There might be something to be said for having a qualified barrister or solicitor fighting our corner?

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    Guys. Has anyone who did a prep course contacted your teachers in the colleges to let them know what's going on with the grades? There might be something to be said for having a qualified barrister or solicitor fighting our corner?

Also a good shout for any of you who are working for a firm to have your training solicitor ring!

APower79 wrote: »
    Great, thank you!!

Sorry I have noticed some spelling mistakes!! i meant essay questions not easy questions!

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    Also a good shout for any of you who are working for a firm to have your training solicitor ring!

What would you ask them to say? What can they do? I have a phone call with mine on Monday to discuss pushing out TC due to the results I received. I haven't a clue what they're going to say regarding that.. sigh

Fe7 wrote: »
    What would you ask them to say? What can they do? I have a phone call with mine on Monday to discuss pushing out TC due to the results I received. I haven't a clue what they're going to say regarding that.. sigh

I mean more people who are currently working a full time job who have an employer who can support them. I don't know what they could say but they're much less likely to treat a qualified lawyer like absolute ****? At least I hope... So so so so many of us feel like our grades were completely unfair and have not been given a justification. Even with paying for a recheck someone glancing at a paper and handing out another arbitrary number w/o explanation is not sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fe12021

hey, i was wondering if there are any chapters in constitutional that you can miss out? i was 2/3 of the way through note-taking when i lost all my work. thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fe1nov

Hi all

Opinions on the easiest 2 exams to prepare and pass out of the below

EU
    TORT
    EQUITY
    COMPANY
    CONSTITUTIONAL
    CONTRACT

Thanks!

Fe1nov wrote: »
    Hi all

EU
    TORT
    EQUITY
    COMPANY
    CONSTITUTIONAL
    CONTRACT

Thanks!

EU - Easiest paper to pass as it is so softly marked.
    CONTRACT - Straight forward exam, mixing of topics in problem questions but not hard to identify issues. Predictable enough paper

Would say do one of EU, Cons, or Tort in a sitting so you don't do the big 3 together. Tort is a big subject and very unpredictable tbh, but I enjoyed it.

I can't speak for Company just yet, and Equity is the harshest marked paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fe1nov

EU - Easiest paper to pass as it is so softly marked.
    CONTRACT - Straight forward exam, mixing of topics in problem questions but not hard to identify issues. Predictable enough paper

Would say do one of EU, Cons, or Tort in a sitting so you don't do the big 3 together. Tort is a big subject and very unpredictable tbh, but I enjoyed it.

I can't speak for Company just yet, and Equity is the harshest marked paper.

Thanks so much appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Fe1nov wrote: »
    Hi all

EU
    TORT
    EQUITY
    COMPANY
    CONSTITUTIONAL
    CONTRACT

Thanks!

I’d definitely recommend EU - I did not feel confident at all with the exam and was sure I failed it in November and ended up getting 62 in it. It’s also very predictable.

I sat company last March I thought it was very straight forward tbh but depends on your own interests

Equity has a new examiner or did in November I personally found the course okay and thought the exam was pretty nice but he does seem to have marked people very harshly

I haven’t sat contract yet .

Tort is okay but hard to leave anything out as it’s not as predictable and the same goes for constitutional I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 johnnash2020

I can give you the facts, rather than an opinion. Hardest to pass -> Easiest to pass (based on pass rate data from last few years).

Equity
    Contract
    Tort
    Company
    Constitutional
    EU
    Criminal
    Property

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

I can give you the facts, rather than an opinion. Hardest to pass -> Easiest to pass (based on pass rate data from last few years).

Equity
    Contract
    Tort
    Company
    Constitutional
    EU
    Criminal
    Property

Makes it even worst that I failed property lol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnnash2020

No in fairness, I think this November's property was an outlier. The only passes I saw (from really strong students) were like 50-52.

any one have any contract sample answers from 2016-2020?

I'd love to see the average grade from that form published here by someone

I'd love to see the average grade from that form published here by someone

Same I’d love to be able to compare

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Does anyone know where I could find some tips for training contract applications/cv tips? was fully expecting to fail some exams and take longer to get them done but I've passed all 6 that I've attempted so far and am now starting to panic that I haven't applied for any TC's...

Also what were peoples experiences with securing TC's? My leaving cert was pretty average as was my first year of undergrad (too much going out and no interest in studying :) ) but the rest of my undergrad and my post grad results are good and I scored really high in a couple of FE1's and I have legal experience. Not sure what firms are looking for and I've heard how competitive it is which is worrying me hahah

EU

Does anyone have case note grid past March 2018, and/or exams? Trying to pile them together to attempt the case note Q in the event I'm stuck for a 5th on the exam.

With that said, I have up to March 2018 grid of case notes if anyone needs it in the meantime.

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could find some tips for training contract applications/cv tips? was fully expecting to fail some exams and take longer to get them done but I've passed all 6 that I've attempted so far and am now starting to panic that I haven't applied for any TC's...

Also what were peoples experiences with securing TC's? My leaving cert was pretty average as was my first year of undergrad (too much going out and no interest in studying :) ) but the rest of my undergrad and my post grad results are good and I scored really high in a couple of FE1's and I have legal experience. Not sure what firms are looking for and I've heard how competitive it is which is worrying me hahah

I'm in a similar position as you.

Read through this whole forum, I did last night and I found some good bits of advice.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058113209

• Advertisement

Iso_123 wrote: »

Depends where you want to look - Dublin firms are hiring currently but some for the year 2023 or above- I find the big firm applications quite draining haha they ask question like who you admire and your greatest achievement and so on and so on but I’m not 100% sure what they’re looking for in that regard

You could go round your local area of not from Dublin and see if they’d have any interest in training you !

The law society have pieces up on their website giving tips on how to get a training contract and hey provide sample cover letters and cv templates

Keep an eye out on the legal vacancies page smaller firms do advertise their training contracts there and there does be a few going round

Advertisement