Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

The GAA are quite lucky in a way that they dominate Irish sport so much, because the interest in utter domination by over funded Dubs in football is declining rapidly.

But that said club football is still the backbone in most local communities. I believe we will see more interest in club games than county in near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dunnerc wrote: »
    Did you read the part were it was asked how many new comers started for Mayo ?Mayo are in transition , it will take a few years to get to the level of 2016/2017

Kerry also have a very young team and without doubt are improving

BTW who are you to say what should be talked about ?
    The fact is they drew with Dublin and should have won

Disagree that they were hockeyed in the replay

BTW this thread is going nowhere.
    Round and round in circles.

Dubs will never admit they got huge funding and huge sponsorship which definitely has helped.

FFS you don't need to be an Einstein to know money always helps.

And when you put that money with proper structures and proper planning, well hey presto you get growth and success.
    And Dublin has already got the numbers to tap into with their well financed proper plans and structures.

What off me, and I bet a fair others, is this that the money made no difference, that it was all for kids in schools that by the arguments here must never have grown up (must go look for these eternal children next time in Dublin) and it is down to the volunteers who are just so much better and more hardworking.

Lads that pile of is insulting to everyone else.

The latest one I have seen offered is that the Dublin players are just so much more hardworking and less interested in anything else.

That last point was well alluded to in the recent interview by hickey and parroted by that from Derry that spends too much time in Ballina.

It is a insult to players around the country, especially those that travel the length and breath of the country to train and play with their teams.

As some has said the bedrock of the GAA has always been club and I think that is the future.

PS #Enquiring you have ploughed a long and lonely furrow at times, but you might as well give up - life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Enquiring wrote: »
    How is any of that giving them an advantage?

You’ve already told us for about a billion pages that money structures and facilities give an advantage

A poster highlights that Kerry have all of these compared to another team

You ask how that gives Kerry an advantage....

Either you don’t believe it does, and you’ve wasted all our time for a billion pages or you do believe it does and you need to address how to balance other counties too. Doesn’t matter what other posters may have said, this is about the consistency of your own argument. Do we split every county for example? How much of a gap is too much?

Quite baffling indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭ooter

There are senior county hurlers that travel the length and breath of the country to train and play with their teams and I've never once heard any of them complain that they are at a disadvantage compared to the Dublin senior hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah now that was nasty and uncalled for.

And the dubs wonder why people don't like them.

Dubs will never admit they got huge funding and huge sponsorship which definitely has helped.

And when you put that money with proper structures and proper planning, well hey presto you get growth and success.
    And Dublin has already got the numbers to tap into with their well financed proper plans and structures.

What p*sses off me, and I bet a fair others, is this shyte that the money made no difference, that it was all for kids in schools that by the arguments here must never have grown up (must go look for these eternal children next time in Dublin) and it is down to the volunteers who are just so much better and more hardworking.

Lads that pile of shyte is insulting to everyone else.

The latest one I have seen offered is that the Dublin players are just so much more hardworking and less interested in anything else.

That last point was well alluded to in the recent interview by hickey and parroted by that gobdaw from Derry that spends too much time in Ballina.

It is a fooking insult to players around the country, especially those that travel the length and breath of the country to train and play with their teams.

As some has said the bedrock of the GAA has always been club and I think that is the future.

PS #Enquiring you have ploughed a long and lonely furrow at times, but you might as well give up - life is too short.

What did I say that was nasty and uncalled for ?
    You mentioned Dublin hockeyed Kerry in the drawn game , a 6 point win !
    I disagreed and mentioned
    What Kerry done to Mayo was what I would call being hockeyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Every sports person / team wants to dominate.

Pete Sampras won 14 Grand Slams in 12 years... that as a tennis fan boiled my piss, because he was a boring robotic player, and a boring human, but a super talent ... but I never came to the conclusion that he shouldn’t be permitted to keep winning. He had the best coaches, best of everything, his success and ability enabled that.

If Kerry win Sam next year, if you said to Peter Keane and Kerry fans.... “ Jesus, Peter, with this setup and bunch of lads, there is every hope of a run of 7..... he’s not going to advocate any disadvantaging structure to take them down..he’s worked hard, they’ve worked hard, good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

tritium wrote: »
    You’ve already told us for about a billion pages that money structures and facilities give an advantage

A poster highlights that Kerry have all of these compared to another team

You ask how that gives Kerry an advantage....

Either you don’t believe it does, and you’ve wasted all our time for a billion pages or you do believe it does and you need to address how to balance other counties too. Doesn’t matter what other posters may have said, this is about the consistency of your own argument. Do we split every county for example? How much of a gap is too much?

Quite baffling indeed...

It's not me who's being inconsistent!

If you kept reading the thread, you would have seen the point I was making. Of course it's an advantage for Kerry, how could it not be?

With you stating that it is, you also have to admit that Dublin having access to far more funding than everyone else also gives them a huge advantage, right? You can admit that is the case?

What p*sses off me, and I bet a fair others, is this shyte that the money made no difference, that it was all for kids in schools that by the arguments here must never have grown up (must go look for these eternal children next time in Dublin) and it is down to the volunteers who are just so much better and more hardworking.

That last point was well alluded to in the recent interview by hickey and parroted by that gobdaw from Derry that spends too much time in Ballina.

It is a fooking insult to players around the country, especially those that travel the length and breath of the country to train and play with their teams.

Well said, a very good post. The obvious can be pointed out easily when other counties are involved but when it comes to Dublin, somehow millions upon millions of euros don't actually make a difference. Crazy stuff.

And yes, it's clear that the advantages will never be admitted to but it's important that any lies and myths get corrected. Not on this forum obviously, but in real life, hopefully people in the media show the courage to point out the facts and then all of us who know them, need to inform people and get things moving in terms of actions and protests.

So as a tennis fan, did the International Tennis Federation:
    1. Say "Hey, Pete Sampras deserves to be no 1, let's focus the vast majority of our resources into making sure we get the absolute best out of Pete Sampras, and to hell with the other players

2. Devise and fund a special plan for Pete Sampras (and only Pete Sampras) to implement a professional coaching system that is unavailable to all other players?

3. Think that it would make sense to give the richest guy in the game the most amount of resources to pay for professional development, way above what other players could afford (despite Pete Sampras' ability to generate many multiples in sponsorship compared to any other player)

If you answered no to any of the above I think your analogy is pretty weak

I mean Pete Sampras was a great player and a joy to watch. He also lost about a quarter of the games he played in so there was at least some competition during his time. If it "boiled your piss" that he won 75% of the time, I wonder how you, as a tennis fan, would have felt if the ITF had been giving Pete Sampras all this special treatment for many years and any competition was being sucked out of the game completely. Also (and I get that the analogy goes a bit weird here) you would no doubt be concerned that there was a conveyor belt of Pete Samprases coming down the tracks.

You'd surely say, (as a tennis fan) that maybe Andre agassi, Boris Becker and the other lads got a bit of a raw deal here and perhaps this isn't in the best interests of the game (of tennis)

Don't forget that Pete Sampras would only play 2 away games in 14 years. So every championship game on his favourite surface and on his favourite court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭ooter

And around we go again with the mistruths.
    Dublin senior footballers haven't only played 2 away games in 14 years, getting basic facts like that wrong brings in to question other stuff written as gospel on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

A classic "this argument is going nowhere, because you lot wont agree with me" post.....

Does your club have full time coaching resource ?

Why do people involved with Dublin football seem to think the rest of us think they just got wads of cash and hey presto they were winning all round them without any effort?

We all know it took proper planning, it took hiring good people and setting up good structures.
    And it took volunteers to do the hard yards in the evenings and at weekends.
    They had to give up their time for free.

What we are saying though is the volunteers got resources others could not afford and could only dream of.
    And depending on clubs the volunteers mightn't have huge issues of having to spend time fundraising like in a lot of poorer clubs round the country.

It is like some eejit saying that the only reasons Dublin senior team win is because they play all big matches at home, don't have to travel and because they are so well resourced with huge sponsorship.

That would all come to nought if they didn't put in the long hours training, planning, working on their game and pushing themselves to stay at the top.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    A classic "this argument is going nowhere, because you lot wont agree with me" post.....

The thing is most of the country outside of Dubs and ones involved in Dublin football happen to agree more with me than you.
    Funny that.

Does your club have full time coaching resource ?

Why do people involved with Dublin football seem to think the rest of us think they just got wads of cash and hey presto they were winning all round them without any effort?

We all know it took proper planning, it took hiring good people and setting up good structures.
    And it took volunteers to do the hard yards in the evenings and at weekends.
    They had to give up their time for free.

What we are saying though is the volunteers got resources others could not afford and could only dream of.
    And depending on clubs the volunteers mightn't have huge issues of having to spend time fundraising like in a lot of poorer clubs round the country.

It is like some eejit saying that the only reasons Dublin senior team win is because they play all big matches at home, don't have to travel and because they are so well resourced with huge sponsorship.

That would all come to nought if they didn't put in the long hours training, planning, working on their game and pushing themselves to stay at the top.

Like what?

Given that there are clubs in Dublin that dont even have a pitch.

What types of resources?

And dont forget on the latter point - fees in Dublin clubs are wayyyyyy higher than in country clubs. Maybe that would be one way to even up the balance - pay more for your club membership.

EDIT - my only issue in this debate is that people make out its some sort of financial doping, that Dublin is given an unfair amount of investment. I dont believe that is the case. Yes, more is invested in Dublin GAA - in the same way that more is invested in hospitals in Dublin for example, compared to other counties - because more people live there. That creates an unbalanced championship yes. Is there some sort of pro Dublin bias. No. Are other counties being ripped off. No.

But you do agree with that poster!

Yesterday you posted about Kerry and the advantages they have. You believe their sponsorship and facilities are an advantage over counties who have less. Then obviously, Dublin with far more than kerry, have far more of an advantage.

Theres nothing to disagree with here.

Like what?

Given that there are clubs in Dublin that dont even have a pitch.

What types of resources?

And dont forget on the latter point - fees in Dublin clubs are wayyyyyy higher than in country clubs. Maybe that would be one way to even up the balance - pay more for your club membership.

EDIT - my only issue in this debate is that people make out its some sort of financial doping, that Dublin is given an unfair amount of investment. I dont believe that is the case. Yes, more is invested in Dublin GAA - in the same way that more is invested in hospitals in Dublin for example, compared to other counties - because more people live there. That creates an unbalanced championship yes. Is there some sort of pro Dublin bias. No. Are other counties being ripped off. No.

Dublin GAA were drawn up a plan by a specially appointed panel. They were then granted huge resources to implement that plan. This was a Dublin only scheme. No other county had access. Nearly every club had access to their own dedicated games development officer. That is a huge resource to have. It's already been pointed out the areas these officers worked on and improved. It's made a massive difference to Dublin GAA. Across the board. People inside Dublin GAA openly admit this.

And the thing is, it would have been great, seeing Gaelic games develop is something all of us want. But, why was this scheme only made available for Dublin? Is the health of Gaelic games not important in other counties? By giving Dublin special treatment, the GAA caused this mess. It's spiralled out of control. Dublin now spend close to 4 million on games development alone. No one can live with that. The wealth in Dublin on top of the Dublin only program for nearly 2 decades means that we have to split Dublin. It's unfortunate but there is no other option.

Dublin GAA were drawn up a plan by a specially appointed panel. They were then granted huge resources to implement that plan. This was a Dublin only scheme. No other county had access. Nearly every club had access to their own dedicated games development officer. That is a huge resource to have. It's already been pointed out the areas these officers worked on and improved. It's made a massive difference to Dublin GAA. Across the board. People inside Dublin GAA openly admit this.

And the thing is, it would have been great, seeing Gaelic games develop is something all of us want. But, why was this scheme only made available for Dublin? Is the health of Gaelic games not important in other counties? By giving Dublin special treatment, the GAA caused this mess. It's spiralled out of control. Dublin now spend close to 4 million on games development alone. No one can live with that. The wealth in Dublin on top of the Dublin only program for nearly 2 decades means that we have to split Dublin. It's unfortunate but there is no other option.

The only way a split happens is if Dublin agree to it. They won’t. No player, supporter, county board member.... it’s not the Soviet Union 1935, you can’t punish or kick success away... you just need to get better yourself....you need pitches, balls, determination, organization and hard work and hope that it pays dividends more then at any other county...

If the split splashers focused more on improving rather than disingenuously trying to tear everybody else’s house down...

In athletics if xx athlete runs the 100 meters in 9.97 seconds, I can run 10.36... I’m not going to start worrying about what funding, what anything...I’ll be worried about working harder.

Funding again is spread far more thinly. Is spent in the capital where it’s more expensive to buy, well everything... bulbs for floodlights, repairs to all weather pitches, everything, insurance, energy..light, heat, you name it.

A huge number of clubs, huge number of players, participants from under age to senior...

What’s being spent is what’s needed...to ‘run’ the games... it’s more expensive to run it in Dublin, that’s a fact. From participation to administration...huge number of clubs, players, supporters...the investment is proportionate.

Still all weather pitches, floodlights, clubhouses, gyms, conference facilities and so on being invested in, nationwide... so you know... not the one sided setup the split splashers would have everybody believe. :)

So the question asked was - what resources are you talking about, that Dublin clubs have access to.

And your answer is Games Development Officers.

There are 300 Games Development Officers in the country.

54 of these are in Dublin.

Most of those in Dublin are aligned with one club, but
    (i) they dont belong to the clubs - they are assigned to areas and most of their remit is to work with schools.
    (ii) clubs in Dublin tend to be much larger than country clubs. Kilmacud Crokes has almost 5000 members. So one Games Development Officer aligned to Kilmacud might be spread across more players than an Officer that deals with 5 clubs in Offaly or Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

So the question asked was - what resources are you talking about, that Dublin clubs have access to.

(i) they dont belong to the clubs - they are assigned to areas and most of their remit is to work with schools.
    (ii) clubs in Dublin tend to be much larger than country clubs. Kilmacud Crokes has almost 5000 members. So one Games Development Officer aligned to Kilmacud might be spread across more players than an Officer that deals with 5 clubs in Offaly or Westmeath.
    He was already told this ,he doesn’t want to know . He has uncovered the Dead Sea scrolls and is going to take down Dublin -split it in four and tarnish their achievements. I really can’t wait to see what he does with all this information.

The plan was drawn up because it was recognised that decades of neglect had the sports in the capital on its knees. Dublin clubs were seeing the impact of lack of resources and facilities due to decades of economic bmneglect for the capital. The boom had seen space becoming more squeezed and the real prospect of kids in dublin having no pitches to play games on for example, a problem no other county faced on that scale. Dublin clubs by definition need to have more people per facility as the space isn’t there. It’s all well and good saying a club has 10x the membership, but that also means 10x the demand for pitches, mentors, coaching etc. The clubs backed this because the alternative was extinction- they put their hands in their pockets and paid half the cost. They found a way to survive.

The structure of the plan was dublin specific because a) dublin had a huge problem for the GAA and b) the GAA. Previous attempts to let counties manage their games development had been a disaster- as nickey Brennan noted on 2005 some counties were siphoning off development funds to spend on the inter county team. The dublin plan put a framework in place to manage the use of funds and ensure a transparency that hadn’t been there in previous games development projects for counties

Your 4 million figure is again deliberately misleading. A large part of it as you’ve already indicated comes from self generated resources either by clubs or the county. As already noted most counties are still humming and hawing about being professional in how they manage the commercials, the exceptions being the successful counties such as Kerry- cork have just seen the light in this it seems. Dublin were laughed at when they laid this strategy out. The games development is covered every year by the Leinster council and everyone has visibility- most thought it was a waste and a pipe dream until this dublin generation started winning. Why the fook didn’t any of them start getting their **** in order a decade ago- don’t bull**** that they weren’t allowed, most were busy laughing at dublin. Frankly if a club with higher cost base finds a way to use its funds efficiently to thrive, fair fooking play to them, I certainly won’t have them condemned by folks who largely sat on their hands for a decade

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    The only way a split happens is if Dublin agree to it. They won’t. No player, supporter, county board member.... it’s not the Soviet Union 1935, you can’t punish or kick success away... you just need to get better yourself....you need pitches, balls, determination, organization and hard work and hope that it pays dividends more then at any other county...

If the split splashers focused more on improving rather than disingenuously trying to tear everybody else’s house down...

In athletics if xx athlete runs the 100 meters in 9.97 seconds, I can run 10.36... I’m not going to start worrying about what funding, what anything...I’ll be worried about working harder.

Funding again is spread far more thinly. Is spent in the capital where it’s more expensive to buy, well everything... bulbs for floodlights, repairs to all weather pitches, everything, insurance, energy..light, heat, you name it.

A huge number of clubs, huge number of players, participants from under age to senior...

What’s being spent is what’s needed...to ‘run’ the games... it’s more expensive to run it in Dublin, that’s a fact. From participation to administration...huge number of clubs, players, supporters...the investment is proportionate.

Still all weather pitches, floodlights, clubhouses, gyms, conference facilities and so on being invested in, nationwide... so you know... not the one sided setup the split splashers would have everybody believe. :)

3.8 million per year on games development. Over 2 million on wages and salaries. 2.3 million in sponsorship. Over 1.5 million on team preparations. These are some of the reasons why Dublin must be split.

Not only were Dublin clubs given access to their own dedicated development officer, they also had highly paid officials overseeing the implementation of the plan drawn up for them by the GAA.

It's been noted numerous times in this thread, you cant ignore 2 decades of funding because it doesnt suit you. You've already had to acknowledge that extra funds is a major advantage, Dublin having the largest access to funds, way out of line with everyone else means Dublin have had a major advantage. This is your view, isn't it?

Every county had between one and six development officers while Dublin had one for nearly every club. It's already been noted how much of an advantage being positioned in 1 club instead of numerous clubs is. Again, that was noted by someone actually involved in games development.

3.8 million per year on games development. Over 2 million on wages and salaries. 2.3 million in sponsorship. Over 1.5 million on team preparations. These are some of the reasons why Dublin must be split.

Nope, no dice... ;)

All that goes into facilitating the sport from grassroots up, hundreds of teams across games, gender and age groups...facilities, everything.. long may it continue. :cool:

He was already told this ,he doesn’t want to know . He has uncovered the Dead Sea scrolls and is going to take down Dublin -split it in four and tarnish their achievements. I really can’t wait to see what he does with all this information.

You and others have been corrected multiple times on the inaccuracy of some of your posts. Why not correct the posters like Tombo? You know the truth.

tritium wrote: »
    The plan was drawn up because it was recognised that decades of neglect had the sports in the capital on its knees. Dublin clubs were seeing the impact of lack of resources and facilities due to decades of economic bmneglect for the capital. The boom had seen space becoming more squeezed and the real prospect of kids in dublin having no pitches to play games on for example, a problem no other county faced on that scale. Dublin clubs by definition need to have more people per facility as the space isn’t there. It’s all well and good saying a club has 10x the membership, but that also means 10x the demand for pitches, mentors, coaching etc. The clubs backed this because the alternative was extinction- they put their hands in their pockets and paid half the cost. They found a way to survive.

The structure of the plan was dublin specific because a) dublin had a huge problem for the GAA and b) the GAA. Previous attempts to let counties manage their games development had been a disaster- as nickey Brennan noted on 2005 some counties were siphoning off development funds to spend on the inter county team. The dublin plan put a framework in place to manage the use of funds and ensure a transparency that hadn’t been there in previous games development projects for counties

Your 4 million figure is again deliberately misleading. A large part of it as you’ve already indicated comes from self generated resources either by clubs or the county. As already noted most counties are still humming and hawing about being professional in how they manage the commercials, the exceptions being the successful counties such as Kerry- cork have just seen the light in this it seems. Dublin were laughed at when they laid this strategy out. The games development is covered every year by the Leinster council and everyone has visibility- most thought it was a waste and a pipe dream until this dublin generation started winning. Why the fook didn’t any of them start getting their **** in order a decade ago- don’t bull**** that they weren’t allowed, most were busy laughing at dublin. Frankly if a club with higher cost base finds a way to use its funds efficiently to thrive, fair fooking play to them, I certainly won’t have them condemned by folks who largely sat on their hands for a decade

I've asked you previously but you never answered. How were Dublin in a worse position than counties who had just emerged from a 30 year war?

Having a plan drawn up and funded for you is special treatment. No two ways about it! Then profiting from the success of the plan, earning more in sponsorship etc from it just adds to the injustice. Why wasn't the plan opened for all counties?

The wealth available in Dublin means that counties can operate easily. You've been told this. No one can compete with a county with the finances of Dublin, not should they be forced to. This is an amateur sport.

Not only were Dublin clubs given access to their own dedicated development officer, they also had highly paid officials overseeing the implementation of the plan drawn up for them by the GAA.

It's been noted numerous times in this thread, you cant ignore 2 decades of funding because it doesnt suit you. You've already had to acknowledge that extra funds is a major advantage, Dublin having the largest access to funds, way out of line with everyone else means Dublin have had a major advantage. This is your view, isn't it?

Every county had between one and six development officers while Dublin had one for nearly every club. It's already been noted how much of an advantage being positioned in 1 club instead of numerous clubs is. Again, that was noted by someone actually involved in games development.

But the clubs in Dublin are much larger, as I've already stated and you've ignored.

I've been coaching with a club in Dublin for 6 years, I've had just one single session with the local Games Development officer.

Its made absolutely no difference to me as an inexperienced mentor, or to the kids that I am coaching (if thats the word for it). I've learned a lot more from watching YouTube videos of Martin Fogarty and the likes.

You keep just throwing out soundbites. There is no real analysis.

Strumms wrote: »
    Nope, no dice... ;)

All that goes into facilitating the sport from grassroots up, hundreds of teams across games, gender and age groups...facilities, everything.. long may it continue. :cool:

Well of course you'd say that. But for the health of our games, we can't let one county operate on a professional basis. It's as simple as that.

But the clubs in Dublin are much larger, as I've already stated and you've ignored.

I've been coaching with a club in Dublin for 6 years, I've had just one single session with the local Games Development officer.

The clubs being larger is an advantage! Not a disadvantage.

Personal anecdotes are all well and good but I'll go with the words of senior Dublin county board members and officers who've been involved since the inception of the Dublin only scheme.

You and others have been corrected multiple times on the inaccuracy of some of your posts. Why not correct the posters like Tombo? You know the truth.

Given the misleading information you’ve posted you probably should look closer to home for inaccuracies. For a start you could allocate all games development funding instead of just a selected subset

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Well of course you'd say that. But for the health of our games, we can't let one county operate on a professional basis. It's as simple as that.

@Enquiring you speak a lot about Dublin and your thoughts on their situation.
    Can I ask which county do you support?

Advertisement