Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Enquiring wrote: »
    I did allocate it! Do you dispute that Dublin had a development officer for nearly every club while all other counties had 6 or below or what's the issue?

You showed who got what from all the extra millions that aren't in the county allocation you posted?

More anecdotes. Lacking in any factual evidence.

yet oddly enough Nickey Brennan was spouting the same 'anecdotes' back in 2005 having examined the books of counties who had received games development funding. Are you calling him a liar?

As mentioned. You can't ignore 2 decades of funding because it doesnt suit your argument.

Every county had 6 or less coaches while Dublin had one per nearly every club. How many clubs are in Cork? What's the population of Cork? Did Cork get half the funding of Dublin and half the coaches?

And you cant ignore millions in unaccounted for Games Development funding that doesn't suit your argument

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TCP/IP wrote: »
    @Enquiring you speak a lot about Dublin and your thoughts on their situation.
    Can I ask which county do you support?
    Yes, you can.
    Great thanks so which county do you support.
    No that is not answering the question.
    I told you what I support.
    Again not answering the question you are losing a lot of credibility by not answering a straight and simple question.
    My credibility has been earned by providing backed up evidence for my posts. Facts, figures and statements all coming from official accounts and verifiable sources.
    You still will not answer a question that is very simple and you said you would answer why is that have you something to hide or perhaps an agenda.

Simply answer the question posed to you. A lot of your posts are about getting people to answer a question you have raised and if you don't get the answer you are looking for you say people are hiding the answer but yet when I ask you a simple question of what county do you support you will not answer.
    I said you could ask. I didn't say I'd answer.
    And there we have it won't answer a simple question posed to him now why is that.

Honestly, that's just pathetic you talk about credibility you have just lost all of yours so you do have an agenda and something to hide if you can't answer a simple question like which county do you support.
    Your just a keyboard troll nothing more.

Mod Note

Please do not ask the bolded again.

You can and have drawn your own conclusions as to the reasons why said poster has failed to answer your question and can speculate on any agenda he/she may have.

It is not permitted to call out a poster as a troll on thread as it considered backseat moderation as per the rules of the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Strumms wrote: »
    Ultimately if people can’t beat a strong Dublin team, let’s weaken the strong Dublin team, load of ... crapola :)that’s the agenda.

100 titles across the board post funding. As described by high ranking Dublin GAA officials; all areas of Dublin GAA have reaped the benefits of the paid coaches.

• Advertisement

tritium wrote: »
    You showed who got what from all the extra millions that aren't in the county allocation you posted?

Yes. All other counties got funding for between 1 to 6 coaches. Millions sounds like a lot but when divided by 31, it isn't. Millions for one county is a lot.

yet oddly enough Nickey Brennan was spouting the same 'anecdotes' back in 2005 having examined the books of counties who had received games development funding. Are you calling him a liar?

You are talking about a completely different anecdote. Other counties were getting very little in games development funding but if they were spending it on other things then that was wrong, why would you think otherwise?

This doesn't have any impact on the fact that it was also wrong for Dublin to receive far more funding than everyone else. You won't be able to admit to this obvious fact, however.

And you cant ignore millions in unaccounted for Games Development funding that doesn't suit your argument

I haven't. This has got to be about the 10th time I've answered this exact same comment from you. You're like that guy who kept going on about hurling despite having his point destroyed time and again.

The millions you're talking about breaks down to between 1 and 6 coaches per county.

Yes. All other counties got funding for between 1 to 6 coaches. Millions sounds like a lot but when divided by 31, it isn't. Millions for one county is a lot.

Should every county get the same under your proposals? Do Leitrim get the same as Mayo for example? How do you propose to allocate the money?

I haven't. This has got to be about the 10th time I've answered this exact same comment from you. You're like that guy who kept going on about hurling despite having his point destroyed time and again.

The millions you're talking about breaks down to between 1 and 6 coaches per county.

Ah I see so you’re saying that pays for the 118 coaches for the rest of Leinster for example. That’s presumably in addition to the funding the counties got directly, since its a much bigger sum. And who pays for the 65 or so (55% of the rest of Leinster total) coaches for dublin?

• Advertisement

Should every county get the same under your proposals? Do Leitrim get the same as Mayo for example? How do you propose to allocate the money?

No, all counties wouldn't get the same. An analysis would have to be done for each county and a plan drawn up of what's needed to develop hurling and football. More football officers may be needed in Kilkenny, more hurling in Mayo for example. Appointments of personel to oversee it and be answerable for the progress will be essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

More anecdotes. Lacking in any factual evidence.

Go and ask for a look at your counties finances and scan them. You will get your factual evidence there. Then to justify each expense.

Ah I see so you’re saying that pays for the 118 coaches for the rest of Leinster for example. That’s presumably in addition to the funding the counties got directly, since its a much bigger sum. And who pays for the 65 or so (55% of the rest of Leinster total) coaches for dublin?

Again, you're talking about recent developments. The East Leinster project is a few years old. This accounts for most of the extra coaches. This was also apart of the plan drawn up by the strategic review committee in 2002. Why should 4 counties get access to these coaches above every other county in the country?

As I say though, tackling that now would be like tackling the unbalanced funding for Dublin in 2005. It's gone way to far in Dublin's case. Again, you can't write off near 2 decades of funding disparity.

Go and ask for a look at your counties finances and scan them. You will get your factual evidence there. Then to justify each expense.

Other counties county boards being incompetent is irrelevant to the issue under discussion. This is not to say it's untrue, it's just irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Other counties county boards being incompetent is irrelevant to the issue under discussion. This is not to say it's untrue, it's just irrelevant.

What county board will you be bringing your findings to?

As you've correctly suggested we should do in our respective counties. I'll be asking my club in Meath to bring up the funding issue and see can it be spread more evenly when we have our AGM.

Again, you're talking about recent developments. The East Leinster project is a few years old. This accounts for most of the extra coaches. This was also apart of the plan drawn up by the strategic review committee in 2002. Why should 4 counties get access to these coaches above every other county in the country?

As I say though, tackling that now would be like tackling the unbalanced funding for Dublin in 2005. It's gone way to far in Dublin's case. Again, you can't write off near 2 decades of funding disparity.

Pretty sure that doesn’t answer the question I asked....

Pretty sure that doesn’t answer the question I asked....

In fairness, you've been unable or unwilling to answer the majority of questions posed to you and then you continue to ask questions already answered multiple times.

So let's get some answers. How can you justify Dublin receiving funding for one development officer for nearly every club while Cork received funding for 6? Cork have far more clubs than Dublin and about half their population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭ooter

Away championship games Dublin senior footballers have played since 2006.
    Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ooter wrote: »
    Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.

Jez, that's shocking. 6 in 14 years.
    None of those were knockout were they?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Jez, that's shocking. 6 in 14 years.
    None of those were knockout were they?

Only 2 of them were away games!!

• Advertisement

Ok.

In fairness, you've been unable or unwilling to answer the majority of questions posed to you and then you continue to ask questions already answered multiple times.

So let's get some answers. How can you justify Dublin receiving funding for one development officer for nearly every club while Cork received funding for 6? Cork have far more clubs than Dublin and about half their population.

I’m intrigued, exactly how many development officers do you allege have been supplied for dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Ok.

Correct, only 2 away games (vs Tyrone). All others were played at neutral venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.

In fairness.

Laois, Nowlan Park. Neutral.
    Carlow, Portlaoise. Neutral.
    Wicklow, Portlaois. Neutral.
    Tyrone, Omagh. Away
    Louth, Portlaoise. Neutral. And an odd one dragging Louth all the way down to Laois.
    Tyrone, Omagh. Away.

As much as I dont particularly agree with Enquiring, that's a total of 2 away games and 4 neutral venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Only 2 of them were away games!!

Let’s break it down for you...

A ‘venue’ and its choice is not about the teams but the fans mostly.

Like if U2 are playing a one off gig here next month, would it be wrong of them to choose Croke Park ? No, of course not...

Of course you could choose The Cork Opera House but I think the idea is, give as many people the opportunity to see and enjoy.

Say next years Leinster final is between Dublin and Meath... the demand for tickets from both sides will be ensuring it’s a sell out..76,534 people in attendance or close.... is the right thing to do say that...” sure another home game for Dublin, fûck that, play it in Páirc Tailteann ? Around 32,000 in attendance ? You are fûcking over both Dublin AND Meath supporters by going this way of thinking. Taking 44,000 seats away from the paying GAA loving public, to suit an agenda... we’ve had enough of that shît and that backwards thinking in this country.

The fact that Dublin have access to Croker is not by design it’s by necessity...

The same reason that the location of the final is not moved every year to give other locations a chance of holding it and a payday.... because the supporters are the primary concern.... a stadium is a theatre... designed to allow spectators to stand or sit, enjoy and view the event.... Croker simply has that capacity. Other infrastructure here simply doesnt.

Fitzgerald Stadium, 38,000... 9000 is seated, ok let’s have an All Ireland Semi Final there ? Errrr no. The venue doesn’t stand up to the demands...Pairc Ui Chaoimh 45,000 ? 34,000 people short of the Croker capacity... again, home advantage is a byproduct, but the design of a stadium is to facilitate spectators...I guarantee if Cork had a home semi vs Dublin they’d have a significant number of them chanting for Croker as the venue to enable them to get enough tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Again not answering the question you are losing a lot of credibility by not answering a straight and simple question.
    He tells you what County he's from and he'll get slagged off and it used to discredit his facts.

I'm guessing he's from a traditional football County that has had inter County football as a spectacle seriously damaged by the prospect of dublin winning every year.
    Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.
    This right here is another big issue. Back when Dublin were beatable the gaa didn't dare put their cash cow in harms way. I didn't see Meath, Wexford, Louth, Laois, Westmeath or Kildare getting home matches vs Dublin or even matches located in neutral counties. It must have scared the gaa when Longford nearly beat them.

Decisions like this directly affect results and lead to dublin winning more leinsters then they otherwise would. And you'd wonder about the many dubious calls the dubs got in close leinster matches. And remember this was at a time when the association that hire these refs were publicly stating they needed a more successful dublin. Beggars belief.

The final blow is the massive funding disparity and the effort by the GAA to get Dublin's house in order even though they were already decent. You can see why we're losing faith in the sport except at club level.

870k watched the football this year when the entire country was stuck at home. Is that not a bit low?

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    He tells you what County he's from and he'll get slagged off and it used to discredit his facts.

I'm guessing he's from a traditional football County that has had inter County football as a spectacle seriously damaged by the prospect of dublin winning every year.

This right here is another big issue. Back when Dublin were beatable the gaa didn't dare put their cash cow in harms way. I didn't see Meath, Wexford, Louth, Laois, Westmeath or Kildare getting home matches vs Dublin or even matches located in neutral counties. It must have scared the gaa when Longford nearly beat them.

Decisions like this directly affect results and lead to dublin winning more leinsters then they otherwise would. And you'd wonder about the many dubious calls the dubs got in close leinster matches. And remember this was at a time when the association that hire these refs were publicly stating they needed a more successful dublin. Beggars belief.

The final blow is the massive funding disparity and the effort by the GAA to get Dublin's house in order even though they were already decent. You can see why we're losing faith in the sport except at club level.

870k watched the football this year when the entire country was stuck at home. Is that not a bit low?

Again in the interests of clarity, when you say the GAA didn’t dare put dublin in harms way, how does that work exactly? Does someone from headquarters just arrive in a black state car to give Carlow the grim news they’re going to Croker while his henchmen and women laugh evilly. Or is there votes and stuff that lead to that decision? Did representatives from the Leinster counties have an input to the decision for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Strumms wrote: »
    Let’s break it down for you...

A ‘venue’ and its choice is not about the teams but the fans mostly.

Like if U2 are playing a one off gig here next month, would it be wrong of them to choose Croke Park ? No, of course not...

Of course you could choose The Cork Opera House but I think the idea is, give as many people the opportunity to see and enjoy.

Say next years Leinster final is between Dublin and Meath... the demand for tickets from both sides will be ensuring it’s a sell out..76,534 people in attendance or close.... is the right thing to do say that...” sure another home game for Dublin, fûck that, play it in Páirc Tailteann ? Around 32,000 in attendance ? You are fûcking over both Dublin AND Meath supporters by going this way of thinking. Taking 44,000 seats away from the paying GAA loving public, to suit an agenda... we’ve had enough of that shît and that backwards thinking in this country.

The fact that Dublin have access to Croker is not by design it’s by necessity...

The same reason that the location of the final is not moved every year to give other locations a chance of holding it and a payday.... because the supporters are the primary concern.... a stadium is a theatre... designed to allow spectators to stand or sit, enjoy and view the event.... Croker simply has that capacity. Other infrastructure here simply doesnt.

Fitzgerald Stadium, 38,000... 9000 is seated, ok let’s have an All Ireland Semi Final there ? Errrr no. The venue doesn’t stand up to the demands...Pairc Ui Chaoimh 45,000 ? 34,000 people short of the Croker capacity... again, home advantage is a byproduct, but the design of a stadium is to facilitate spectators...I guarantee if Cork had a home semi vs Dublin they’d have a significant number of them chanting for Croker as the venue to enable them to get enough tickets.

Your argument is very disingenuous. I can't believe anybody actually believes Dublin v Meath will be a sell out at any time in the near future. I don't actually think you believe that if you have been going to Dublin games over the past few years. How many Meath people actually travel these days? Say they'll be a lot less than 2019 judging by Meath people on here.

Most watched sports event of the year, pubs were open, restaurants were open, shops were open, last Saturday before Xmas.
    Is croke park a neutral venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Again in the interests of clarity, when you say the GAA didn’t dare put dublin in harms way, how does that work exactly? Does someone from headquarters just arrive in a black state car to give Carlow the grim news they’re going to Croker while his henchmen and women laugh evilly. Or is there votes and stuff that lead to that decision? Did representatives from the Leinster counties have an input to the decision for example?

The biggest factor is ensuring season ticket holding dubs get a seat
    Same for mayo games

Advertisement