Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Enquiring wrote: »
    Well of course you'd say that. But for the health of our games, we can't let one county operate on a professional basis. It's as simple as that.

Well of course you’d say that, but for the health of our games we can’t let people use bitterness against the innovation one county has shown prevent us from moving the sport forward- just because we didn’t have sports science in 1900 seems a silly reason not to embrace it now for example

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

The clubs being larger is an advantage! Not a disadvantage.

Personal anecdotes are all well and good but I'll go with the words of senior Dublin county board members and officers who've been involved since the inception of the Dublin only scheme.

It’s not as simple as saying it’s an advantage. If it was wed keep upping the pupil teacher ratio for example. You need the resources and facilities to keep pace with the scale for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

3.8 million per year on games development. Over 2 million on wages and salaries. 2.3 million in sponsorship. Over 1.5 million on team preparations. These are some of the reasons why Dublin must be split.

Again your not listening , as was already mentioned

The only way a split happens is if Dublin agree to it. They won’t. No player, supporter, county board member.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well of course you'd say that. But for the health of our games, we can't let one county operate on a professional basis. It's as simple as that.

I’d say that because it’s factual, it’s reality.

No rules have been breached. If they have, do something. But they weren’t, so you can’t..... deal with it and focus on your own county, nobody else’s. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

dunnerc wrote: »

The only way a split happens is if Dublin agree to it. They won’t. No player, supporter, county board member.... ;)

The 3.8m that is mentioned as being spent by the Dublin GAA is an untruth, the poster who has mentioned this and continued to spout these untruths does not mention that the Games development funding from the Irish Sports Council is 1.3m thereabouts, he is looking at adding the clubs (privately funded portion) of the GDO/GPO salary, but hey it suits he rhetoric. It is quite obvious that there is a certain cabal posting in this forum that have no actual interest in the GAA, but merely want to see the greatest team of all time knocked off their perch. It will happen, but a small group of posters on an internet forum whinging about another counties success will have not played its part. The counties who apply themselves, maximise their resources and are luck enough to have gifted sports people will be the one to do it. Mayo would have 2-3 AI's if Dublin were not around, I haven't heard them complaining, they knuckled down, worked hard, developed strategies and were close to achieving on several occasions. Compare that with counties who don't have the issues of isolation on the west coast and have been on a whingefest for quite a while now. Two counties in particular who have population, facilities but alas fail to deliver, Meath and Kildare. DCB even had some Kildare teams competing in the Dublin juvenile leagues to try and assist in their development. So as a GAA supporter, long may we be blessed in seeing the greatest (football) team of all time. Enjoy it folks, I enjoyed whilst being beaten in the past the great Kerry and Meath teams, without feeling the need to moan about losing, it really does come across as being mean spirited and a bad loser. Long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

County boards are not jumping up and down because if all their books where examined then the some hard truths would come out about how they run their own finances . I have heard some stories from lads i work with that benefitted from some of that money .Lets just say they could of employed a few GPO's for the money they spent on player holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

tritium wrote: »
    Given the misleading information you’ve posted you probably should look closer to home for inaccuracies. For a start you could allocate all games development funding instead of just a selected subset

I did allocate it! Do you dispute that Dublin had a development officer for nearly every club while all other counties had 6 or below or what's the issue?

TCP/IP wrote: »
    @Enquiring you speak a lot about Dublin and your thoughts on their situation.
    Can I ask which county do you support?

Yes, you can.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Yes, you can.

Great thanks so which county do you support.

tritium wrote: »
    Well of course you’d say that, but for the health of our games we can’t let people use bitterness against the innovation one county has shown prevent us from moving the sport forward- just because we didn’t have sports science in 1900 seems a silly reason not to embrace it now for example

There's no bitterness. You keep using words like that and Dublin clubs being punished. You're looking at it all wrong.

The split will be good for everyone in the GAA, especially those in Dublin.

Don't forget this plan was done for Dublin so the innovation credit should go to Eugene McGee et al. A fine GAA man he was.

• Advertisement

dunnerc wrote: »

That's not true. Our games won't last much longer if the situation is allowed to continue as is. Something has to give before it's too late. Splitting Dublin has long been on the table. The time has come.

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d say that because it’s factual, it’s reality.

No rules have been breached. If they have, do something. But they weren’t, so you can’t..... deal with it and focus on your own county, nobody else’s. :)

How can we have fair competitions with the financial situation in Dublin? Do we keep going when Dublin are spending 10's of millions on development, preparations and staff? When Dublin have 2 million people?

Face reality, this has to end.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The 3.8m that is mentioned as being spent by the Dublin GAA is an untruth, the poster who has mentioned this and continued to spout these untruths does not mention that the Games development funding from the Irish Sports Council is 1.3m thereabouts, he is looking at adding the clubs (privately funded portion) of the GDO/GPO salary, but hey it suits he rhetoric. It is quite obvious that there is a certain cabal posting in this forum that have no actual interest in the GAA, but merely want to see the greatest team of all time knocked off their perch. It will happen, but a small group of posters on an internet forum whinging about another counties success will have not played its part. The counties who apply themselves, maximise their resources and are luck enough to have gifted sports people will be the one to do it. Mayo would have 2-3 AI's if Dublin were not around, I haven't heard them complaining, they knuckled down, worked hard, developed strategies and were close to achieving on several occasions. Compare that with counties who don't have the issues of isolation on the west coast and have been on a whingefest for quite a while now. Two counties in particular who have population, facilities but alas fail to deliver, Meath and Kildare. DCB even had some Kildare teams competing in the Dublin juvenile leagues to try and assist in their development. So as a GAA supporter, long may we be blessed in seeing the greatest (football) team of all time. Enjoy it folks, I enjoyed whilst being beaten in the past the great Kerry and Meath teams, without feeling the need to moan about losing, it really does come across as being mean spirited and a bad loser. Long may it last.

I've already pointed that all out. Dublin spending 3.8 million on games development is a fact.

The rest of your post is an almighty whinge. Are you still claiming that the 25 million Dublin GAA received from taxpayers this century is all for primary school children? And that it only ran from 2007-2017.

The only untruths are coming from the defenders of the funding disparity.

County boards are not jumping up and down because if all their books where examined then the some hard truths would come out about how they run their own finances . I have heard some stories from lads i work with that benefitted from some of that money .Lets just say they could of employed a few GPO's for the money they spent on player holidays.

More anecdotes. Lacking in any factual evidence.

Great thanks so which county do you support.

I support all counties getting fair treatment from the GAA.

This means every county receiving enough funding to oversee the development of Gaelic football and hurling in that county. Resources for enough development officers and importantly, officers to monitor and implement the correct structures.

Basically what Dublin were provided with 20 years ago. The 4 new counties in Dublin will receive appropriate funding also.

This means every county receiving enough funding to oversee the development of Gaelic football and hurling in that county. Resources for enough development officers and importantly, officers to monitor and implement the correct structures.

Basically what Dublin were provided with 20 years ago. The 4 new counties in Dublin will receive appropriate funding also.

No that is not answering the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I agree with you on this statement, deflection. We still have to see the 20yr funding that has been spouted here. The funding some posters seem to have a problem comprehending is funding from the ISC. This is given to the GAA to allocate to its members. It is doing a great job in doing so. If it wasn't then the ISC sports council would be within its rights to withhold as it did with the FAI. Ergo, the the GAA are doing a fine job. Long may it continue.

I told you what I support.

I told you what I support.

Again not answering the question you are losing a lot of credibility by not answering a straight and simple question.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I agree with you on this statement, deflection. We still have to see the 20yr funding that has been spouted here. The funding some posters seem to have a problem comprehending is funding from the ISC. This is given to the GAA to allocate to its members. It is doing a great job in doing so. If it wasn't then the ISC sports council would be within its rights to withhold as it did with the FAI. Ergo, the the GAA are doing a fine job. Long may it continue.

The 20 years has already been posted. 2007-2017 was busted a long time ago.

The Sports Council money is the taxpayers money already discussed too. It is to be welcomed for sure. The only issue in this case being that so much of it was ring fenced for Dublin. Why use Dublin as a special case? If it was distributed fairly, the calls for the split of Dublin wouldn't be happening.

Unfortunately, that didnt happen and here we are with splitting Dublin as the only option to take.

• Advertisement

Again not answering the question you are losing a lot of credibility by not answering a straight and simple question.

My credibility has been earned by providing backed up evidence for my posts. Facts, figures and statements all coming from official accounts and verifiable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As mentioned, there are 300 games development officers of which 54 are in Dublin. Thats 18% in Dublin.

The population of all Ireland is 6.8mn, of which county Dublin is 1.23mn, or 18%.

Cant get much fairer than that.

My credibility has been earned by providing backed up evidence for my posts. Facts, figures and statements all coming from official accounts and verifiable sources.

You still will not answer a question that is very simple and you said you would answer why is that have you something to hide or perhaps an agenda.

Simply answer the question posed to you. A lot of your posts are about getting people to answer a question you have raised and if you don't get the answer you are looking for you say people are hiding the answer but yet when I ask you a simple question of what county do you support you will not answer.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    As mentioned, there are 300 games development officers of which 54 are in Dublin. Thats 18% in Dublin.

The population of all Ireland is 6.8mn, of which county Dublin is 1.23mn, or 18%.

Cant get much fairer than that.

As mentioned. You can't ignore 2 decades of funding because it doesnt suit your argument.

Every county had 6 or less coaches while Dublin had one per nearly every club. How many clubs are in Cork? What's the population of Cork? Did Cork get half the funding of Dublin and half the coaches?

You still will not answer a question that is very simple and you said you would answer why is that have you something to hide or perhaps an agenda.

Simply answer the question posed to you. A lot of your posts are about getting people to answer a question you have raised and if you don't get the answer you are looking for you say people are hiding the answer but yet when I ask you a simple question of what county do you support you will not answer.

I said you could ask. I didn't say I'd answer.

I said you could ask. I didn't say I'd answer.

And there we have it won't answer a simple question posed to him now why is that.

Honestly, that's just pathetic you talk about credibility you have just lost all of yours so you do have an agenda and something to hide if you can't answer a simple question like which county do you support.
    Your just a keyboard troll nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As mentioned. You can't ignore 2 decades of funding because it doesnt suit your argument.

Every county had 6 or less coaches while Dublin had one per nearly every club. How many clubs are in Cork? What's the population of Cork? Did Cork get half the funding of Dublin and half the coaches?

Not aware of the disparities over 'two decades' and havent seen any stats on it.

Your point on Cork - run a google yourself. I've already shown that the split of Games Dev Officers in Dublin is exactly in line with population which is the fairest way to do it.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Not aware of the disparities over 'two decades' and havent seen any stats on it.

Your point on Cork - run a google yourself. I've already shown that the split of Games Dev Officers in Dublin is exactly in line with population which is the fairest way to do it.

It started off with Dublin receiving funding of about 700,000 per year from 02-05. This moved up closer to 2 million per year after that. So using recent figures is pretty irrelevant as their has been a massive gap in funding since the early century.

I don't need to google. Cork received far less than half the funding Dublin received and despite having far more clubs and a far bigger region to cover, Cork had 6 or less coaches while Dublin had one for nearly every club.

I don't think fair is an accurate word to describe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭ooter

You can't ignore failure at senior hurling level in Dublin for 2 decades despite funding because it doesn't suit the agenda.
    Please provide evidence that the Dublin senior footballers have only had 2 away games in the championship since 2007?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ultimately if people can’t beat a strong Dublin team, let’s weaken the strong Dublin team, load of ... crapola :)that’s the agenda.

Advertisement