Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bambi wrote: »
    "Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present, controls the past… Past events, it is argued, have no objective existence, but survive only in written records and in human memories"

It is historically accurate and if you think otherwise then you're racist. :D

The colour blind casting does not bother me in the slightest but the tone alone should put anyone off believing it to be an historical drama.

In regard to the quote, every time at some point was the present and therefore we must question who controlled it and how that affects our perception of it as the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just watched Wild Rose. Its fabulous , Jessie Buckley is fabulous and well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I just watched Wild Rose. Its fabulous , Jessie Buckley is fabulous and well worth a watch

Watched this last night too, definitely worth a watch. Great performance by Jessie Buckley.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Yeah she's really good, have a look at 'Judy' the Judy Garland biopic and later on next year watch out for her in 'The lost daughter', Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut alongside Dakota Johnson and Paul Mescal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Speaking of Buckley, Netflix apparently aren't showing the new series of Fargo, which she's in, but it's on TG4 next month. For anyone who was waiting for it to appear

• Advertisement

paddyref wrote: »
    Yeah she's really good, have a look at 'Judy' the Judy Garland biopic and later on next year watch out for her in 'The lost daughter', Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut alongside Dakota Johnson and Paul Mescal.
    I have enjoyed watching Jessies Buckleys career since she appeared on “ I’d do Anything “ in 2008 . There was no doubt even then that she was heading for bigger things . In fact in my opinion she should have won that show but she wasnt brash and loud like Jodie Prenger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wasn't going to bother with Death to 2020 because of the bad reviews but I'm glad I did.

Some cracking jokes and I do hope that some Americans might think it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to bother with Death to 2020 because of the bad reviews but I'm glad I did.

Some cracking jokes and I do hope that some Americans might think it's legit.

Cristin Millioti as the soccer mom is out of this world. Her facial expressions were freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭Rfrip

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The colour blind casting does not bother me in the slightest but the tone alone should put anyone off believing it to be an historical drama.

In regard to the quote, every time at some point was the present and therefore we must question who controlled it and how that affects our perception of it as the past.

The soundtrack is a bit of a giveaway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Deadly games Manhunt season 2 very enjoyable so far .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

Cristin Millioti as the soccer mom is out of this world. Her facial expressions were freaky.

Decided to fire it on. It's only 70 mins and if it's rubbish I'll turn off kinda attitude. No chance of turning it off. Really enjoyed it. Leslie Jones had some great lines.

If your anyway curious Def worth taking a look

Just finished Escape Room, I really enjoyed it. Perfect movie for an evening like this with a few drinks and crap food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Just finished Escape Room, I really enjoyed it. Perfect movie for an evening like this with a few drinks and crap food.

Watched it last night, okay ,the section on the ice and the upside down pool room were well done

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

The Devil All The Time .. watched it last night and found it to be better than expected .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

moonstruck wrote: »
    The Devil All The Time .. watched it last night and found it to be better than expected .

It's a slow burner but I enjoyed it - didn't get great reviews, I think people may have been expecting something more actiony

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

It's a slow burner but I enjoyed it - didn't get great reviews, I think people may have been expecting something more actiony

yes i enjoyed it too, at least the story followed through and interlaced a lot of the characters. Defo the Devil was there all the time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Only got around to watching icarus last night. One of the best documents I've watched ever. Absolutely fascinating!

I watched this last night. I thought it was good, but it was too long and not clear enough about what was going on. I know some people don't like to have everything laid out for them, but I thought it could have done with more exposition.

There's an unnecessary 25 minutes or so at the beginning that could have been done in ten minutes but was included because it very closely involved the director. How somebody can't get the objectivity they need for the appropriate edit escapes me.

I watched half of the first episode of Bridgerton .My God its awful !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Awfully good!

Addle wrote: »
    Awfully good!

Two episodes left and it’s so so good!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A few great recent films coming this week:

https://twitter.com/benstravis/status/1343902826750226433?s=21

Babyteeth is particularly great - really fresh and smart alternative take on the ‘teen with cancer’ subgenre. Really liked Proxima too, which is a nice and grounded perspective on an astronaut preparing for her space mission. Saint Frances is a rock solid indie character study, and Les Miserables is a really tense thriller set in a pressure cooker suburb of Paris. Surprised the latter’s coming to Netflix actually, as I could’ve sworn it was an Amazon movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I watched half of the first episode of Bridgerton .My God its awful !

My wife absolutely loved it and stayed up way past 1am a couple of nights watching it. I watched it in passing while doing other things and while it's not my cup of tea, or aimed at me, I can see the attraction as it's well done. It's a Regency romance and not meant to be anything else. If people like Jane Austen they'll mostly love this, and if Jane is just something you had to do for the Leaving, you probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Is Transformers War for Cybertron getting a season 2 shortly? Seen some stuff which suggests Americans have it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

A few great recent films coming this week:

https://twitter.com/benstravis/status/1343902826750226433?s=21

Babyteeth is particularly great - really fresh and smart alternative take on the ‘teen with cancer’ subgenre. Really liked Proxima too, which is a nice and grounded perspective on an astronaut preparing for her space mission. Saint Frances is a rock solid indie character study, and Les Miserables is a really tense thriller set in a pressure cooker suburb of Paris. Surprised the latter’s coming to Netflix actually, as I could’ve sworn it was an Amazon movie.

Babyteeth is a great movie with a fantastic cast. It sidesteps the sentimentality that is normally in movies dealing with the topic but it still has me in pieces at the end. There's a great Tuneyards don't in the soundtrack as well.

Rfrip wrote: »
    Two episodes left and it’s so so good!!!

I will try again and try not to see the awful special thing effects with painted in roses and plants !!

My wife absolutely loved it and stayed up way past 1am a couple of nights watching it. I watched it in passing while doing other things and while it's not my cup of tea, or aimed at me, I can see the attraction as it's well done. It's a Regency romance and not meant to be anything else. If people like Jane Austen they'll mostly love this, and if Jane is just something you had to do for the Leaving, you probably won't.

I know what its meant to be ! I just hated the whole thing . Will give it another go

I will try again and try not to see the awful special thing effects with painted in roses and plants !!

We don’t normally disagree tbf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is Transformers War for Cybertron getting a season 2 shortly? Seen some stuff which suggests Americans have it already.

Coming tomorrow

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

According to someone at Empire, Babyteeth, Proxima and Les Miserables (the 2019 one akin to La Haine, not the musical) are coming to Netflix UK (and thus likely Ireland) in the next few days. It's on Twitter rather than a press release or anything so take with a pinch of salt, but for what it's worth the official Netflix UK twitter account both retweeted and commented on the tweet...

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    According to someone at Empire, Babyteeth, Proxima and Les Miserables (the 2019 one akin to La Haine, not the musical) are coming to Netflix UK (and thus likely Ireland) in the next few days. It's on Twitter rather than a press release or anything so take with a pinch of salt, but for what it's worth the official Netflix UK twitter account both retweeted and commented on the tweet...

They're all showing on the Netflix app as coming soon.

Advertisement