Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

SanPa: Sins of the Savior
    Amidst a heroin crisis, Vincenzo Muccioli cared for the addicted, earning him fierce public devotion -- even as charges of violence began to mount.

Transformers: War for Cybertron: Earthrise
    While Megatron takes drastic measures to save the Decepticons, the Autobots fight to save all of Cybertron from both on the planet and aboard the Ark.

Best Leftovers Ever! Season 1
    Decadent pasta from day-old fries? Skillful cooks transform tired leftovers into tantalizing new dishes in this wildly creative culinary competition.

Seven
    A seasoned homicide detective and his new partner are on a desperate hunt for a killer whose gruesome crimes are based on the Seven Deadly Sins.

A Dog's Journey
    A dog's extraordinary bond with a family deepens when he befriends a young granddaughter, and reincarnates to protect and support her as she grows up.

Equinox Season 1
    Haunted by visions after her sister vanished with her classmates 21 years before, Astrid begins an investigation that uncovers the dark, eerie truth.

How High
    Two potheads smoke some brain-enhancing weed and, to their surprise, score high enough on entrance exams to get scholarships at Harvard

Pride & Prejudice (2005)
    In Jane Austen's tale of 19th-century England, Mrs. Bennet hopes to marry her daughters to prosperous gentlemen, including new arrival Mr. Darcy.

Still Game season 9
    Scottish pensioners Jack and Victor make the most of their golden years, getting themselves into all kinds of scrapes in their Glasgow suburb.

Terminator Genisys
    Thirty years after judgment day, John Connor sends a friend back to save his mother and stop the conflagration, unaware that things have changed.

added

line of duty 1-4 has been advertised as being added today but its not there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Se7en is back. Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When I first read the update I thought they had made a Seven series then realised it was the film

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

They're all showing on the Netflix app as coming soon.

Cheers, I mainly use the Win10 app on my TVPC so didn't realise the mobile app had a Coming Soon section. Just had a look there and also saw American Mary (2012) is coming (back) soon, along with this year's The Vigil which I read good things about and want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭appledrop

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I watched half of the first episode of Bridgerton .My God its awful !

Its soooooo bad that its a much watch!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought the reviews for 'Death To 2020' were harsh..

.. got as many laughs out of it as I did in some of the more recent "Wipes".

Cast were all very good bar Leslie Jones, who is terribly unfunny.

I get the impression if it wasn't hyped the way it was (creator of Black Mirror etc), it would have been more warmly received.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Basq wrote: »
    .. got as many laughs out of it as I did in some of the more recent "Wipes".

Think that might show how poor Wipes have become.

Or (imo) the decline of Brooker's output generally.

He lamented the demise of meh in previous show, think meh suits his stuff to a tee these days.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Some of the jokes on Death To 2020 were just downright corny. Really poor form for Brooker. You'd expect more from him.

The part about the origin of Covid. Paraphrasing.

"We believe the disease was transmitted because a man had sex with a bat and he got batjuice in his pee pee hole. We tried to recreate this in the lab but with limited success.. because.. well, the bat kept flying away."

Cringe. Its full of poor jokes like this. The only people Ive really heard enjoying it, in my experience, are people unfamiliar with Brooker, Wipes. Mostly Americans that think mockumentaries and this type of satire is new and cutting edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

What is this Wipes everyone keeps talking about in relation to Death to 2020?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Have to say I enjoyed Death to 2020. Each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,407 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What is this Wipes everyone keeps talking about in relation to Death to 2020?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/22/charlie-brooker-to-return-to-bbc-with-lockdown-special-antiviral-wipe

He did a series of shows weekly wipe etc, brought back recently enough with antiviral wipe in may.
    They are really funny imo.
    There have also been spin offs for the Philomena Cunk character (the Christmas one is particularly fun)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Think that might show how poor Wipes have become.

Or (imo) the decline of Brooker's output generally.

He lamented the demise of meh in previous show, think meh suits his stuff to a tee these days.

Couldn't give any timelines but I've wondered if marriage and having children took some of the teeth from Booker's work; hard to channel the whole Last Angry Man routine when living in marital happiness... :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Couldn't give any timelines but I've wondered if marriage and having children took some of the teeth from Booker's work; hard to channel the whole Last Angry Man routine when living in marital happiness... :)
    I don't agree to be honest.
    Antiviral wipe was out this year and it had teeth imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

pixelburp wrote: »

Wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility. He also incredibly comfortable financially now (not that he was ever exactly scrapeing by).

He's still better than an awful lot on TV, just not a patch on what he once was.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't agree to be honest.
    Antiviral wipe was out this year and it had teeth imo.

Never said it was a scientific theory like, just a personal hunch: his form seems less consistent than fadó; so while simpler that it's hard to keep any one idea going indefinitely anyway, it's easier to be performatively angry when you ain't got much else on - sure look at half of Boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Some of the jokes on Death To 2020 were just downright corny. Really poor form for Brooker. You'd expect more from him.

The part about the origin of Covid. Paraphrasing.

"We believe the disease was transmitted because a man had sex with a bat and he got batjuice in his pee pee hole. We tried to recreate this in the lab but with limited success.. because.. well, the bat kept flying away."

Isn't that moreorless an episode of South Park. Randy and Mickey Mouse in China .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

yabadabado wrote: »
    Isn't that moreorless an episode of South Park. Randy and Mickey Mouse in China .

Randy and Mickey Mouse had sex with a bat then Randy brought the disease back to America with him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's possible Brooker's style of comedy is just harder to do nowadays. The combination of so many high profile people being so ridiculous they're beyond satire coupled with the way social media allows people to make all the jokes immediately kind of makes it harder to do these wrap up things. A lot of events and jokes around them have been done to death by the time December rolls around.

Like I saw the bit with Cristin Milioti being a racist housewife and none of it was funny because I've seen the same bit done to death since May or June. "Karen" jokes have run their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched "A Dogs Way Home" last night, harmless wee film but the CGI is terrible,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

My wife absolutely loved it and stayed up way past 1am a couple of nights watching it. I watched it in passing while doing other things

I'm worried I may have some form of multiple personality syndrome as I don't recall posting the above but it's literally a reflection of my household.

• Advertisement

I am very very late to it...but....the queen's gambit...wow...really is fantastic. It looks brilliant, acting is excellent, the story is really very compelling
    Mad to think the main producer behind it has been trying to get it to the screen since 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭appledrop

I am very very late to it...but....the queen's gambit...wow...really is fantastic. It looks brilliant, acting is excellent, the story is really very compelling
    Mad to think the main producer behind it has been trying to get it to the screen since 1992.

One of best series ever made. Id say reason never got to screen till now is that on paper just about girl who plays chess. Sounds boring but obvious way its made was unbelievable.

appledrop wrote: »
    One of best series ever made. Id say reason never got to screen till now is that on paper just about girl who plays chess. Sounds boring but obvious way its made was unbelievable.
    Id say it is definitely in my top 5 for this year.
    I think I need to still let it digest.

I guess it could be an awkward enough one to sell as you say. But if something like Mrs Maisel can get made, as well as being critically acclaimed no reason why something like this couldn't have been made before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Seven is a classic film, doubt there's many that haven't seen it.

Really love Still Game but do yourself a favour and go back to Season 1 when it's all fresh, been a long run.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I guess it could be an awkward enough one to sell as you say. But if something like Mrs Maisel can get made, as well as being critically acclaimed no reason why something like this couldn't have been made before now.

Mrs Maisel getting made could have more to do with the people behind it having produced several successful shows prior to pitching it. The guy behind The Queens Gambit had nothing big to his name, production wise, before Godless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 4
    Netflix’s wonderfully dark reimagining of the teenage witch returns for its fourth and final chapter.

Best of Stand-Up 2020
    From Jerry Seinfeld to Leslie Jones, Kevin Hart to Hannah Gadsby, laugh along with the funniest bits from Netflix's 2020 stand-up comedy specials.

Uncle Buck

Bridget Jones's Diary

Babyteeth
    Seriously ill teenager Milla shocks her overprotective parents when she falls for Moses, a drug-dealing dropout who's surprisingly good for her

100% Wolf
    Instead of turning into a werewolf on his 13th birthday, Freddy became a poodle. Now he's out to prove he's fierce enough to keep up with the pack.

Safe House Season 1
    A couple planning to open a quiet B&B find themselves drawn into a web of danger and lies when they agree to use the property as a safe house instead

Abe
    Through the mentorship of a local chef, an aspiring teenage cook believes he can find the right recipe to mend the fences between his divided family.

HOPE GAP
    In a tranquil coastal town, a couple treads on rocky terrain as their son visits for their 29th wedding anniversary and their marriage unravels.

Proxima
    A French engineer sets out on a yearlong space mission as her daughter grapples with her impending absence.

Rev
    A shifty car thief becomes an informant to avoid jail and help the police take down an auto-theft ring with ties to a crime syndicate.

Saint Frances
    Feeling adrift and unfulfilled at 34, Bridget lands a job as a nanny to Frances, a strong-minded, six-year-old girl who helps turn her life around.

Savage
    Torn between his birth family and the street gang he calls his own, a man becomes a live-wire enforcer with fierce allegiances. Inspired by true events.

Spree
    Thirsting for social media fame that eludes him, a ride-share driver livestreams a killing spree from his car in this satirical horror thriller.

The Vigil
    A former member of Brooklyn's Hasidic Jewish community reluctantly agrees to keep vigil for a recently deceased man but encounters a demonic spirit.

Shaun of the Dead

Snatch

Les Misérables(French 2019)
    In a Parisian banlieue, a new cop in the anti-crime unit witnesses community tensions mounting amid poverty, police violence and power abuse.

Alaska Is a Drag
    Tormented by bullies, an aspiring drag star working at an Alaskan cannery becomes a skilled fighter and is tapped for competition by a boxing coach

Casper

Are We There Yet?

Evan Almighty

Leap Year

Balto
    Balto, who is half wolf and half dog, endures the taunts of disapproving humans as he guides a precious cargo of medicine through the Alaskan winter.

Step Up

Step Up 4: Miami Heat

Hulk (2003)
    The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Dracula Untold

Ouija (2014)

added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,190 ✭✭✭✭km79

Uncle Buck YES
    I nearly paid for it on prime !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Rfrip wrote: »
    Two episodes left and it’s so so good!!!

Well after a day of doom and gloom I decided to watch Bridgerton with a whole different outlook ! I just relaxed and saw past the awfulness and actually enjoyed it .!! Its so bad its quite good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Well after a day of doom and gloom I decided to watch Bridgerton with a whole different outlook ! I just relaxed and saw past the awfulness and actually enjoyed it .!! Its so bad its quite good!!

Yay I knew you wouldn’t leave me down!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Considering Equinox.

Danish "Dark"-esque supernatural missing-hippies-cult-suspicion thriller.

Trailers look intriguing...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement