Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Horrible Histories Season 6
    This hilarious series, based on the best-selling books, proves that sometimes the most memorable moments in history are also the least pleasant

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 60,461 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Runaway Jury 3/5 movie with a 5/5 Gene HACKMAN performance

Man I miss Gene Hackman in movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Runaway Jury 3/5 movie with a 5/5 Gene HACKMAN performance

Didn't know it was on Netflix, very good film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just finished series 1 of Umbrella Academy, and here to recommend it those pretty much tired of superhero stuff, like I am. I had watched the first episode and thought it interesting, and different enough from the usual Marvel and DC stuff to make it worth a punt, but decided to leave it at that. A friend of mine with similar tv interests said I should retry it, and I'm really glad I did. It has its pacing issues etc, but its amusing wild storyline just gets better and better as an ensemble piece, with lots of lovely touches.
    Really looking forward to series 2, which apparently is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Finished the first season of Unforgotten.

Very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

seligehgit wrote: »
    Finished the first season of Unforgotten.

Very good.
    Every season is a gem imo.
    There was meant to be a new one this year but who knows with covid etc

Has anyone watched "I see you"?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

gmisk wrote: »
    Has anyone watched "I see you"?

The one with Helen Hunt? I enjoyed it, it's a nice pulpy mystery/thriller with lots of plot twists.

Space Dog wrote: »
    The one with Helen Hunt? I enjoyed it, it's a nice pulpy mystery/thriller with lots of plot twists.
    Cool will definitely check it out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Space Dog wrote: »

Is it scary?

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    Is it scary?
    Naw not really it's quite fun though and a few twists and turns alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Can't remember who mentioned Teenage Bounty Hunters in here and answered my questions about it but I gave it a go and it's fast become a guilty pleasure.

It seems to have the right balance of comedy and not taking itself too seriously. The two sisters are hilarious in it. I'd definitely recommend it.

I find it hard to believe it's from the same people behind Orange Is The New Black because I thought that was a absolute turd of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Have watched 7 episodes of Highway to Heaven. Oh the Nostalgia. Loved it back in the day. It's so harmless, but heartwarming.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Can't remember who mentioned Teenage Bounty Hunters in here and answered my questions about it but I gave it a go and it's fast become a guilty pleasure.

It seems to have the right balance of comedy and not taking itself too seriously. The two sisters are hilarious in it. I'd definitely recommend it.

I find it hard to believe it's from the same people behind Orange Is The New Black because I thought that was a absolute turd of a show.

Think it was me. I never liked Orange either, couldn't get into it at all. There's people from Glow involved too, which I thought was fine but still have only gotten to mid S2 with it.

Netflix don't seem to be promoting Teenage Bounty Hunters at all, which worries me in terms of there being a S2. I believe the creators signed a production deal with Netflix though, so I'd assume they have faith in them. Maybe they're confused about the market to target with it? It's got Teenage in the title but isn't really a teen show, but there seems to be very little push for it from Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Just finished series 1 of Umbrella Academy, and here to recommend it those pretty much tired of superhero stuff, like I am. I had watched the first episode and thought it interesting, and different enough from the usual Marvel and DC stuff to make it worth a punt, but decided to leave it at that. A friend of mine with similar tv interests said I should retry it, and I'm really glad I did. It has its pacing issues etc, but its amusing wild storyline just gets better and better as an ensemble piece, with lots of lovely touches.
    Really looking forward to series 2, which apparently is even better.

I’ve watched 3 episodes and I’m a bit lukewarm on it (ep 3 probably the best of them) should I stick with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

gmisk wrote: »
    Naw not really it's quite fun though and a few twists and turns alright

Hunts face is a bit distracting but its a clever enough thriller. Defo worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

den87 wrote: »
    I’ve watched 3 episodes and I’m a bit lukewarm on it (ep 3 probably the best of them) should I stick with it?

Just watching episode 6 and have enjoyed it all so far

The Debt Collector 2
    French and Sue have two days to collect on three debts, using as much force as it takes - all while evading the wrath of a crime lord out for revenge.

added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Debt Collector 2
    French and Sue have two days to collect on three debts, using as much force as it takes - all while evading the wrath of a crime lord out for revenge.

added

Thanks Pete

The Back To The Future trilogy added tomorrow right?

Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Big Lebowski as good as it ever was. The dude abides.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Heckler wrote: »
    Hunts face is a bit distracting but its a clever enough thriller. Defo worth a watch.

I watched I See You a couple of weeks ago. It is cleverly done. You’re not really sure what exactly is going on for the majority of the movie, and then it comes together.
    I thought it was really good.
    And ya, good comment about Helen Hunts face. I presume that is plastic surgery gone wrong, and not deliberate wooden acting.
    There are lots of plot holes in the film, but nothing too obvious to act as a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

I'm pumped for Young Wallander!
    Young Wallander is an upcoming drama web television series, based on the writings of Henning Mankell, that is set to premiere on Netflix on September 3, 2020. It will consist of six episodes.

Young Wallander is a young, edgy, and modern series that sees Henning Mankell’s iconic detective Kurt Wallander investigate his gripping first case. The story focuses on the formative experiences – professional and personal - faced by Kurt as a recently graduated police officer in his early twenties.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks Pete

The Back To The Future trilogy added tomorrow right?

Looking forward to it

its coming to netflix US tomorrow not sure about here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Only got around to watching icarus last night. One of the best documents I've watched ever. Absolutely fascinating!

Updated September list

1st September
    Borgen: Season 1 to 3

Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices

DescriptionBlack celebrities and artists read children’s books by Black authors to spark meaningful conversations about empathy, equality, justice, self-love, and anti-racism.

Boss Baby: Get That Baby!
    Think you’ve got what it takes to be the boss? This interactive special puts your skills to the test and matches you up with one of 16 jobs at Baby Corp.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians: Seasons 3 and 4
    Zodiac
    Body Fixers: Season 2
    A Beautiful Mind
    Demolition Man
    Room
    The Sum of All Fears
    Fear
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    They’ve Gotta Have Us: Season 1
    GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra
    H
    Couples Come Dine with Me: Season 1
    Top Chef
    Curse of Chucky
    Shameless: Season 9
    Chasing Liberty
    Sudden Death
    Felipe Esparza: Bad Decisions
    Kill Me Three Times
    Mr Bean: The Animated Series
    Dudley Do-Right
    The Match
    Heidi: Season 2
    Beyblade: Burst Turbo: Season 1
    Indecent Proposal

2nd September
    Freaks: You’re One of Us
    Dinner for Schmucks
    Skytour: The Movie
    Bad Boy Billionaires: India: Season 1

3rd September
    Call the Midwife: Season 8
    Afonso Padilha: Classless

2nd September
    Chef’s Table: BBQ –
    Netflix’s mouth-watering docuseries returns to celebrate the art of the barbecue. The series will introduce us to Tootsie from Texas, who feels her grills with her hands, Lennox from Australia, who likes to cook lettuce and even pastry with fire, Rosalia from Mexico, who is inspired by cooking the way Mayans did thousands of years ago, and Rodney, from South Carolina, who highlights the communal element of bringing people together.

3rd September
    Young Wallander: Season 1 –
    Fresh out of police academy, Kurt Wallander (Adam Pålsson) is pulled into solving the violent incident under the wing of superintendent Hemberg (Richard Dillane). Written by Ben Harris and directed by Ole Endresen and Jens Jonsson, the prequel series paves the way for the iconic detective as we know him in later life.

Love, Guaranteed
    Directed by Mark Steven Johnson, this new rom-com starring Heather Graham follows Susan, an earnest lawyer who takes a high-paying case to save her firm: Nick, a charming new client, wants to sue a dating website that guarantees love. But Susan and Nick soon find themselves in the middle of a media storm, and as the case heats up, so do their feelings for each other — which could jeopardise everything.

4th September
    Away: Season 1
    From Executive Producer Jason Katims (Friday Night Lights), this drama celebrates the incredible advancements humans can achieve and the personal costs they face along the way. Hilary Swank stars as American astronaut Emma Green, who is preparing to lead an international crew on the first mission to Mars. But she must reconcile her decision to leave behind her husband (Josh Charles) and teenage daughter (Talitha Bateman) when they need her the most.

I’m Thinking of Ending Things
    Based on the acclaimed novel of the same name by Iain Reid, Charlie Kaufman’s new film follows a young woman (Jessie Buckley) who takes a road trip with her new boyfriend (Jesse Plemons) to his family farm, despite her second thoughts about their relationship. Trapped at the farm during a snowstorm with Jake’s mother (Toni Collette) and father (David Thewlis), she begins to question the nature of everything she knew or understood about her boyfriend, herself, and the world. Expect something special.

Take Me Home Tonight
    Kandasamys: The Wedding
    Spirit Riding Free: Riding Academy: Part 2
    Parenthood

5th September
    Watchmen (2009)

7th September
    My Octopus Teacher
    Record of Youth: Episode 1

8th September
    The Handmaiden
    Park Chan-wook’s deliciously directed mystery romance is a stylish, surprising and intoxicating work of art.

#Alive
    As a grisly virus rampages a city, a lone man stays locked inside his apartment, digitally cut off from seeking help and desperate to find a way out.
    Cargo
    Starbeam: Season 2
    Record of Youth: Episode 2
    StarBeam: Season 2

9th September
    Get Organised: The Home Edit
    Expert home organizers Clea and Joanna help celebrities and everyday clients edit, categorize and contain their clutter to create stunning spaces.

LA Linea: Shadow of Narco
    Go inside La Línea, the Spanish beach town turned into Europe’s drug trafficking hub, and meet the law enforcement officials determined to change that.

The Social Dilemma
    Through a combination of documentary investigation and narrative drama, this new film from the director of Chasing Ice tackles the connection between the web and viral conspiracy theories, teenage mental health issues, rampant misinformation and political polarisation.

Cuties
    This feature debut from director Maïmouwon follows Amy, an 11-year-old Muslim, who finds herself drawn to a rebellious group of other young girls, raising questions of tradition, rebellion and the sexualisation of young women in modern society.
    So Much Love to Give

The Idhun Chronicles: Season 1
    A boy suddenly orphaned fights his parents’ killer to save a planet, and discovers a new world of danger — and wonder – in this Spanish epic.

10th September
    Julie and the Phantoms: Season 1
    This musical series from Emmy winner Kenny Ortega (“High School Musical,” “Descendants”) stars talented teen Madison Reyes. Videos. Julie and the Phantoms.

The Babysitter: Killer Queen
    Two years after Cole survived a satanic blood cult, he’s living another nightmare: high school. And the demons from his past? Still making his life hell.

The Gift: Season 2
    Beren Saat (“Forbidden Love”) and Mehmet Günsür (“Loves Likes Coincidences”) star in this series based on a novel by Şengül Boybaş.

11th September
    The Duchess: Season 1
    Fresh off her Netflix special “In Trouble”, Katherine Ryan pitched the streamer an idea based on her life as a fabulous single mom living in London. Season 1 follows Katherine as she debates whether she should have a second child with her estranged and troubled baby daddy.
    Night School
    Pets United
    Dad Wanted
    Buddi: Season 2
    Family Business: Season 2

14th September
    Record of Youth: Episode 3

15th September
    Michael McIntyre: Showman
    Record of Youth: Episode 4
    Hope Frozen: A Quest to Live Twice
    Izzy’s Koala World: Season 1
    Taco Chronicles: Volume 2

16th September
    Baby: Season 3
    The protagonists of Baby are coming back for a final season, ready to face the consequences of their choices, as the police start investigating the double lives of Ludovica and Chiara, pushing friendships, family ties, and romances to the breaking point.

Sing On!: Season 1
    In this fun, fast-paced music contest hosted by Tituss Burgess, players sing their hearts out and try to hit the right notes to win up to $60,000.

The Devil All the Time
    In Knockemstiff, Ohio and its neighbouring backwoods, sinister characters — an unholy preacher (Robert Pattinson), twisted couple (Jason Clarke and Riley Keough), and crooked sheriff (Sebastian Stan) — converge around young Arvin Russell (Tom Holland) as he fights the evil forces that threaten him and his family. Spanning the time between World War II and the Vietnam war, the film is based on Donald Ray Pollock’s award-winning novel.

Criminal: Season 2
    Netflix’s crime procedural takes place in a tense interrogation room, where the search for answers sometimes comes at a moral cost. The stripped down, cat-and-mouse drama focuses on the mental conflict between the police and the suspect in question – and returns for four more cases with four new suspects.
    The Paramedic

17th September
    Dragon’s Dogma: Season 1
    GIMS: On the Record
    Horrid Henry’s Gross Day Out
    The Last Word: Season 1

18th September
    First Man
    Damien Chazelle’s moon landing drama finds gripping danger amid its tale of remote emotions

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous
    Set within the same timeline as the 2015 blockbuster sequel, the animated series follows a group of six teenagers chosen for a once-in-a-lifetime experience at a new adventure camp on the opposite side of Isla Nublar. But when dinosaurs wreak havoc across the island, the campers are stranded. Unable to reach the outside world, they’ll need to go from strangers to friends to family if they’re going to survive.

Ratched: Season 1
    “You should bathe more often. Your fingernails are filthy.” That’s the sound of Nurse Ratched bringing her unique bedside manner to Netflix in Ryan Murphy’s One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest prequel series, starring Sarah Paulson as the iconic asylum nurse.
    The American Barbecue Showdown: Season 1
    Whipped (Bucin)

21st September
    Record of Youth: Episode 5

22nd September
    Record of Youth: Episode 6
    Mighty Express: Season 1

23rd September
    Enola Holmes
    Based on Nancy Springer’s Edgar Award-nominated book series, The Enola Holmes Mysteries, this new film tells the story of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes’ rebellious teen sister Enola, a gifted super-sleuth in her own right who often outsmarts her brilliant siblings. Millie Bobby Brown plays Enola, with Henry Cavill co-starring as Sherlock and Sam Claflin playing Mycroft Holmes.

25th September
    A Perfect Crime: Season 1
    Country-Ish: Season 1
    Sneakerheads: Season 1
    The School Nurse Files: Season 1

26th September
    America’s Got Talent: Season 15

Date TBC
    Black Books: Seasons 1-3
    Blow
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Deadpool
    Donnie Brasco
    Early Man
    Freddy vs Jason
    Halloween (2018)
    Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father: Season 4
    Kick-Ass
    The Prince of Egypt
    Zoolander

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

If your looking to kill an hour and a half and like a good documentary film, I'd recommend Tread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

peteeeed wrote: »
    its coming to netflix US tomorrow not sure about here

The trilogy is on Amazon Prime at the moment if that helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Think it was me. I never liked Orange either, couldn't get into it at all. There's people from Glow involved too, which I thought was fine but still have only gotten to mid S2 with it.

Netflix don't seem to be promoting Teenage Bounty Hunters at all, which worries me in terms of there being a S2. I believe the creators signed a production deal with Netflix though, so I'd assume they have faith in them. Maybe they're confused about the market to target with it? It's got Teenage in the title but isn't really a teen show, but there seems to be very little push for it from Netflix.

I've only watched the first three episodes of TBH but if they can maintain the quality for the duration of the season then I'd love a second season

Think you're right about the shows title though, it will put a lot of people off - especially fellas in their mid-30's like myself.

If anything, it's unlikely to appeal to teenagers because it's very witty and some of the humour is a bit deadpan - I do especially enjoy the "sister to sister" chats, they are very well done and the one in the third episode at the house party still has me laughing today just thinking about it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've only watched the first three episodes of TBH but if they can maintain the quality for the duration of the season then I'd love a second season

Think you're right about the shows title though, it will put a lot of people off - especially fellas in their mid-30's like myself.

If anything, it's unlikely to appeal to teenagers because it's very witty and some of the humour is a bit deadpan - I do especially enjoy the "sister to sister" chats, they are very well done and the one in the third episode at the house party still has me laughing today just thinking about it

I'm sure I read somewhere it was originally supposed to be called Slutty Teenage Bounty Hunters, which probably would have appealed to an entirely different audience, but again not necessarily the correct audience.

No spoilers but if you make it to the end you'll definitely want a second season, there's quite a bit of set up for one so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

The fear of 13 is a great documentary watch for anyone interested in Death Row docs.

Advertisement