Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think part of the reason Dredd didn't do too well in the cinemas was due to places only offering the 3d version. I wasn't a fan of 3d but since was the only way to see it I went and the SloMo parts worked really well.
    It did get compared to The Raid a lot and whether accurate or not there are much worse films to be compared to.
    Must rewatch Dredd now. Have it on BluRay but haven't watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think part of the reason Dredd didn't do too well in the cinemas was due to places only offering the 3d version. I wasn't a fan of 3d but since was the only way to see it I went and the SloMo parts worked really well.
    It did get compared to The Raid a lot and whether accurate or not there are much worse films to be compared to.
    Must rewatch Dredd now. Have it on BluRay but haven't watched it.

The Raid you say? The very first Dredd story is Dredd going into a tower block alone to take on a gang...

Don't rate either film highly but at least the Stallone version captured Dredds larger than life aesthetic unlike the Urban one which tried the usual bollox of making a comic book character look grtty and realistic, with the end result of Dredd looking like a motorbike courier in a judges helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Wanted is another top class Australian series.

Real Thelma and Louise vibe off of it.

7.7 IMDB rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Karl Urban version is a tight action film while Stallones version falls into you may also like Flash Gordon(1981) territory

I agree completely, but not necessarily as a negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

Just finished "The Queens Gambit" and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Madmen is my favourite show and this was very madmen-esque in tone. Didnt expect to like it as much as I did, I play a little chess but never would've figured a show about the game would be even remotely interesting. Fair play to those who created this, they've managed to produce something special.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We had a flick around Netflix looking for something to watch that didn’t take too much to watch, and stumbled across Hard Kill, and pretty much knew it was going to be awful almost as soon as it started, but Jesus it’s bad!!!! And being only 40 minutes in, it’s only getting worse, but we’ll soldier know for the craic (and as a reminder of how bad movies can be made!!).

We were going to watch Mosul but felt it’d be too serious of a watch... would anyone recommend it as it looks quite decent.

Also, I loved Dredd (Urban), and will give it another watch again very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Netflix Afterparty
    AAAABf_dv2g7MMf-0CnY2hyG38Sk-BP_DRA7UqlfZXFwwZCIkCRxfrXwSutZR1Vb_8C-a0WnG9SGg_e1FnvycbLvcUUmluzILoDBnYq_nxSfXjBM8Xc3OENmlMlW90q_9g.jpg
    Hosts David Spade, Fortune Feimster and London Hughes welcome guests from the newest and biggest Netflix titles for fun conversations, skits and more.

Asphalt Burning (a Norwegian comedy )

When the brakes slam on his wedding, Roy accepts a challenge from a new foe to race for his runaway bride at the iconic Nürburgring track in Germany.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Netflix Afterparty
    <image>
    Hosts David Spade, Fortune Feimster and London Hughes welcome guests from the newest and biggest Netflix titles for fun conversations, skits and more.
    Wow Netflix.. you managed to pick 3 of the most unfunny and unlikable hosts possible. You've really outdone yourself this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Wild Target starring Emily Blunt, Bill Night and Martin Freeman. This was a fantastic little ball of nonsense and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A veteran assassin finds it very difficult to carry out his latest target and gets caught up in a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We Can Be Heroes was enjoyable enough. Another Rodriguez film like the Spy Kids films and Shark Boy and Lava Girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just finished watching babyteeth. Little bit slow to start but an excellent movie and highly recommended by myself and the missus, wasn’t a word said or phone looked at throughout!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Wild Target starring Emily Blunt, Bill Night and Martin Freeman. This was a fantastic little ball of nonsense and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A veteran assassin finds it very difficult to carry out his latest target and gets caught up in a bit of a mess.

Enjoyed that tonight, also watching Messiah on and off to fill time, not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Ava
    Looking for something easy to watch and found it. Not the worst movie. Moves along at a good pace. Good enough cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

watching The end of the f***king world" - enjoyable
    didnt think much of death to 2020, the queens gambit could have been knocked out in a movie - not 6 episodes imo. v slow, but at the end of it, when I look back, I enjoyed it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,215 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Yes, God, Yes this evening. Enjoyable coming of age film about a devout Catholic teenager who finds themself dealing with "temptation" after seeing some naughty stuff in an AOL chat room (it's set in late 90s :pac:).

Natalia Dyer from Stranger Things is in the main role and it's written and directed by the same person who wrote the really good Obvious Child from a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Is breaking bad worth investing time in? Never seen any of it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Just finished watching babyteeth. Little bit slow to start but an excellent movie and highly recommended by myself and the missus, wasn’t a word said or phone looked at throughout!

Also just finished. Lovely film. Reminded me of something you'd catch on TG4 or RTE 2 at about 11pm on a Wednesday evening back in the early-mid 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watch the first episode and if that doesn't have you questioning Wtf is going on here then I wouldn't bother:D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Watched 'Babyteeth' this evening and really enjoyed it, an Australian film about a teenage girl with a terminal illness and dysfunctional parents falls for a drug addled boy. Unusual storyline but good script and well acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Dredd is a great film. Hopefully it getting a run on Netflix and more people enjoying will result in them finally Making some sequels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched Death to 2020 - it was a bit of a mixed bag, some of the characters were really funny but most of them were awful (ahem, Hugh Grant, ahem)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

All Is True
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/all_is_true
    After his beloved Globe Theatre is destroyed, legendary playwright William Shakespeare retires to Stratford-upon-Avon and his long-neglected family.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Another vote for Wild Target

We watched it last night and enjoyed it very much. Fun, light hearted, and doesn’t take itself too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Has anyone watched Better than us? Is it a remake of Humans or does it bring something different.

Enjoyed Safe House and Good Morning Veronica although the latter goes off on one towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Absolutely. We watched it all for the first time last year and its still brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Another vote for Wild Target

We watched it last night and enjoyed it very much. Fun, light hearted, and doesn’t take itself too seriously.

And Imelda May features heavily on the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Rfrip

One episode into Baptiste and I’m hooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,407 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rfrip wrote: »
    One episode into Baptiste and I’m hooked!
    Really liked it I have to say. The new season is coming this year seemingly to the BBC.
    The missing (which Baptiste was a spin off from) is also really excellent if you haven't seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I absolutely loved 'The Missing' but heard such poor things about 'Baptiste' that I didn't bother watching when BBC aired it.

May watch after Cobra-Kai, which somehow managed to be equal parts brilliant / terrible / ridiculous / cringe / hilarious. Loving it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Well after a day of doom and gloom I decided to watch Bridgerton with a whole different outlook ! I just relaxed and saw past the awfulness and actually enjoyed it .!! Its so bad its quite good!!

I hope it improves, just started the second episode and it seems a bit silly. Period dramas aren't my thing but I have watched and loved Downton Abbey.

Advertisement