Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Caranica wrote: »
    Saw the title of a review of this "not as bad as Covid" :D

its rubbish its a take on little women/ pride & prejudice etc with billy eilish music disguised as classical music dont waste your time also overtly woke !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'll second a previous recommendation of Home For Christmas, a Norwegian series, very enjoyable.
    Klaus is a really nice Christmas film too if you haven't already seen it.

I'd also like to recommend Home for Christmas, both seasons were really good. It wasn't too formulaic and had decent acting and visuals. Some interesting characters and very Christmassy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

its rubbish its a take on little women/ pride & prejudice etc with billy eilish music disguised as classical music dont waste your time also overtly woke !!!

Can't take the opinion of anyone who uses "woke" as a derogatory term seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Saw that and thought how many more of these story lines must we be subjected to.

If you want lost dog going home. Think Lassie as the best of them. It was downhill ever since

I watched it and thought the dogs owner was absolute cringe, his acting was so poor.

The movie itself had me in nearly tears, I'm such a sucker for dog movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

DNA
    Grieving the death of her grandfather, Neige navigates family conflict and questions her world in this meditation about cultural identity and roots

Summer of Rockets
    In Cold War Britain during the late 1950s, a Russian-born Jewish inventor of hearing aids is asked to assist in a secret mission. Based on true events.

Fast & Furious Spy Racers season 3
    A government agency recruits teen driver Tony Toretto and his thrill-seeking friends to infiltrate a criminal street racing circuit as undercover spies.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Would recommend Midnight Sky, Bumble Bee and the Christmas Chronicles.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Slightly OT but can't find a general Netflix thread...

Do Netflix still offer the 30 day trial in Ireland? I know I did it when I first signed up a few years ago... but I got my mother an Amazon fire stick for Christmas, specifically for Netflix, and want to avail of the 30 day trial if it still exists.... I know she'd love a lot of the content on there like The Crown etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Can't take the opinion of anyone who uses "woke" as a derogatory term seriously.

It falls into the same category as born again, believe any old sob story and follows every new fad with complete gullibility, Woke is the new word for Slow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Only one episode into bridgerton but it’s brilliant!

Saving the rest for tomorrow when I arise from my diabetic coma

Slightly OT but can't find a general Netflix thread...

Do Netflix still offer the 30 day trial in Ireland? I know I did it when I first signed up a few years ago... but I got my mother an Amazon fire stick for Christmas, specifically for Netflix, and want to avail of the 30 day trial if it still exists.... I know she'd love a lot of the content on there like The Crown etc...
    yes but you have to sign up with a credit card buy a swirl card in most garages and sign up with it then you can let it lapse when you like and they cant keep dipping into your credit card you have to put money on swirl . When its empty they cut you off and if you want it again just fire a few quid on !

• Advertisement

It falls into the same category as born again, believe any old sob story and follows every new fad with complete gullibility, Woke is the new word for Slow

Complaining that something is "woke" is the new dogwhistle for people who miss Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.

Woke is the lefty and right wing are the rightys. Woke want to feed the world & his mother but right know we cant !! Simple economics good will is great but reason must be considered !

I am neither but when i look at a period drama based in London 200 years ago some of the faux pas stick out like a sore thumb, reviews are laughing at the content and inaccuracies. It is woke but we must also look at the Netflix owner he hates all things royal and all things related to heritage and he is highhandedly trying to re write history for a new generation who didn't bother to learn it at school or read up on it and are happy to take the information from his biased content as factual. This is not good for anyone we can only learn from real history in order not to repeat the mistakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Complaining that something is "woke" is the new dogwhistle for people who miss Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.

Which in turn is a mutation of the whole "he just says what we're all thinking!" fallacy.

A few years back I remember a user got very irate whenever others used the reduction of "pretentious" to dismiss a (usually art house inflected) film. The contention being that it was lazy, unimaginative and ultimately meant or tells the reader nothing. To that I think you can add "woke". I get what I think any given user is saying, but also tells me nothing useful at the same time, other than their own personal barometer for *waves hands vaguely* ... I dunno. An overt social conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Woke is the lefty and right wing are the rightys. Woke want to feed the world & his mother but right know we cant !! Simple economics good will is great but reason must be considered !

I am neither but when i look at a period drama based in London 200 years ago some of the faux pas stick out like a sore thumb, reviews are laughing at the content and inaccuracies. It is woke but we must also look at the Netflix owner he hates all things royal and all things related to heritage and he is highhandedly trying to re write history for a new generation who didn't bother to learn it at school or read up on it and are happy to take the information from his biased content as factual. This is not good for anyone we can only learn from real history in order not to repeat the mistakes.

It's fiction.

I know, but the twenty somethings dont..... they believe it to be true *& sine they believe a real job is dancing on Tik Tok they are easily influenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Finished Bridgerton already and I enjoyed it.
    OH offered to do the washing rather than watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I know, but the twenty somethings dont..... they believe it to be true *& sine they believe a real job is dancing on Tik Tok they are easily influenced.

I think you're vastly underestimating the intelligence of the younger generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

So people who use "woke" don't have an opinion worth taking seriously unlike intelligent and classy people like yourself calling stuff dog whistling for Clarkson fans?

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    So people who use "woke" don't have an opinion worth taking seriously unlike intelligent and classy people like yourself calling stuff dog whistling for Clarkson fans?

Using woke as a derogatory term is not an opinion, so it can't be taken seriously, no.

Using woke as a derogatory term is not an opinion, so it can't be taken seriously, no.

And using "people who miss Clarkson on Top Gear" as an insult and to imply such people are triggered right wingers is different is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Kraftwerk wrote: »

Yes, pretty much. It's a ridiculous bull**** term, especially when used in the context the poster put it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭cmac2009

This site is an absolute cesspit these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fierce bang of "old man yells at cloud" there lol :) and I bet they grow their hair long n' all ;) My 20s were... ah shíte, 20 years ago but let's assume this generations youth are no more or less impressionable and assertive than you were at that age.

And maybe the problem is the average 20 something hit adulthood during a global recession of '08, and are now facing another once the pandemic lifts. And within all that we gave them Zero Hour Contracts, yikes. If some find career or cash dancing on TikTok, good for them. Better than the mass emigration of the 80s.

Edit; apologies for the wild segue :)

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yes, pretty much. It's a ridiculous bull**** term, especially when used in the context the poster put it in.

And "dog whistle for Clarkson fans" is what exactly? A keen observation by the enlightened?

Or would it be hypocritical nonsense?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Folks, this is all very interesting but can we get back to Netflix recommendations/discussion and take the culture war stuff elsewhere please, thanks.

The Guernsey Potatoe Pie & Literary Society is very charming film!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

sugarman wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but probably the best place to ask.

With a prepaid voucher, is it possible to start and stop subs and use the remainder at a later date?

I.E If I have a €50 voucher, is it possible to sign up for 1 month now for €11.99, cancel it, and have €38.01 left on my account to sign up at a later date again? Or has it be used concurrently?

I don't think so. There is a pause feature, but IIRC it is not available for the gift card subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wonder would it be possible to use the voucher signing up to one of the cheaper Countries. It would easily double maybe even triple the longevity of the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just finished Home for Christmas that was recommended here a while back. Thanks for the recommendation - it was quite enjoyable and a real easy watch - I watched all 2 seasons in one sitting :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched one and a half films yesterday

Mortal Engines - not bad now, an interesting concept of cities that move on wheels - some of them who look to survive and others (ahem, London) who look to conquer and assimilate other cities to increase their power. Bit clichéd in places but enjoyable for passing a few hours. Did terribly at the box office so no chance of a sequel unfortunately.

Sucker Punch - I'm not sure what I expected when I put this on. It claims to be the story of a woman trying to escape an asylum with some other inmates but I can only assume Zach Snyder wrote this with one hand and was absolutely ripping the flute off himself with the other. It's an absolute mess of a film, stuttering from scene to scene with very little context - avoid it. I get what it's trying to do but it is actually painful to watch a man display his sexual fantasies to the world in a such a depressing manner.

Advertisement