Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Death to 2020
    As the year we all want to end finally does, take a look back at 2020's mad glory in this comedic retrospective from the creators of "Black Mirror."

Baptiste season 1
    Detective Julien Baptiste takes on the case of a missing sex worker to help the Amsterdam police chief in this spinoff of the series "The Missing."

Escape Room
    Telegram Six strangers use their wits to survive a series of deadly mystery rooms that cater to their worst fears -- or die trying.

Level 16
    n a bleak academy that teaches girls the virtues of passivity, two students uncover the ghastly purpose behind their training and resolve to escape.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Get Amazon prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Get Amazon prime.

Haven't seen that one, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Haven't seen that one, is it any good?

Better then Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think we need to expand the thread to streaming recommendations generally.

On the subject of Amazon Prime, enjoying Tales from the Loop. Science fiction short stories, mostly anthologial so far. Very slow burner though.

The Boys - black comedy about dysfunctional corrupt superheroes at their best/worst.

Also has Parasite - the Korean movie that won best movie at the Oscars.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,311 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On the subject of Amazon Prime, enjoying Tales from the Loop. Science fiction short stories, mostly anthologial so far. Very slow burner though.

The Boys - black comedy about dysfunctional corrupt superheroes at their best/worst.

There is already a separate thread for Amazon prime recommendations

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tales From The Loop is some excellent science-fiction alright.

There's a separate Amazon Prime recs thread already, as well as a misc other streaming recs thread. And a Mubi dedicated thread, if you use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

gmisk wrote: »
    There is already a separate thread for Amazon prime recommendations

True but every second post on that thread is “ammmmmm how do I get the UK version???” and it gets very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There are two similar threads, one in the television forum and one in the film forum like this thread. The latter is pretty good and rarely has that type of chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Anyone watched Death To 2020 yet ? Opinions ? Won't get a chance till after all the football and American football today !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

2smiggy wrote: »
    Anyone watched Death To 2020 yet ? Opinions ? Won't get a chance till after all the football and American football today !
    Not yet, but reviews seem poor unfortunately! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Watched wild rose last night n would recommend it. It's about atough nut glasgow country singer trying to make it- something different anyway!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Watched it this morning, it was decent with some good stuff (and some absolute zingers, possibly the best of which was
    "the history books about this era will have to be written in crayon. By a dog."
    :D ) but a bit of a step down from at least the last couple of Wipe episodes. The shift towards more American (or perhaps just internationally well-known) guests is paired with a broader perspective and an archer, sillier/spoofier tone - apparently intentional, according to this Guardian interview from yesterday.

Some of it is definitely a bit more tired and weak than you'd expect from Brooker & Jones, and the election part in particular feels like it could have been distilled down to be sharper and funnier - in part because a year that's had everyone spending way more time on screens than usual has meant that we've already heard a lot of the jokes about the easier targets. On the other hand, I thought Leslie Jones, Samuel L Jackson and Hugh Grant were all on good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Didn't think it was great tbh. Some funny bits but overall it was mostly weak repetitive jokes and unfunny satire. Biden is old vs Trump is orange etc. Actors were good but just nothing too funny or clever about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

enricoh wrote: »
    Watched wild rose last night n would recommend it. It's about atough nut glasgow country singer trying to make it- something different anyway!
    Brilliant performance from Jessie Buckley from Kilarney that really kicked off a great future for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Was okay; too American and election focused but enough amusing moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

den87 wrote: »
    True but every second post on that thread is “ammmmmm how do I get the UK version???” and it gets very annoying.

Hardly as annoying as posting about Prime shows in a Netflix thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fysh wrote: »
    Watched it this morning, it was decent with some good stuff (and some absolute zingers, possibly the best of which was
    "the history books about this era will have to be written in crayon. By a dog."
    :D ) but a bit of a step down from at least the last couple of Wipe episodes. The shift towards more American (or perhaps just internationally well-known) guests is paired with a broader perspective and an archer, sillier/spoofier tone - apparently intentional, according to this Guardian interview from yesterday.

Some of it is definitely a bit more tired and weak than you'd expect from Brooker & Jones, and the election part in particular feels like it could have been distilled down to be sharper and funnier - in part because a year that's had everyone spending way more time on screens than usual has meant that we've already heard a lot of the jokes about the easier targets. On the other hand, I thought Leslie Jones, Samuel L Jackson and Hugh Grant were all on good form.

I loved the Lisa Kudrow character / Kelly Anne Conway portrayal.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Cops and Robbers (short)
    Animation and activism unite in this multimedia spoken-word response to police brutality and racial injustice

Find Me in Your Memory Season 1(Korean)
    A deep connection forms between a news anchor who remembers every moment he's ever lived and an actress who's lost the memories of her past.

My Father is Strange Season 1(Korean)
    Share: WhatsAppTelegram Four siblings bicker with and comfort each other through life's many surprises -- including an actor who one day claims to be their father's son.

My Only One Season 1(Korean)
    Life turns upside down for a bright young woman when her biological father, carrying a heavy past, appears in front of her after 28 years of absence.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Watching it now and it's perfectly fine with a good cast.

From the reviews I've seen, they must have missed the word comedy in big colourful writing at the start. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and some seem to have taken issue with that for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Add Midnight Sky to the long long list of Netflix stinkers.

Prime is much better, they gave me a 6 month free student trial for some reason the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

RasTa wrote: »

Prime is much better, they gave me a 6 month free student trial for some reason the other day.

Seems like every new release on Neflix that I've googled for the last few months has had shocking reviews (other than The Queen's Gambit). May well be time to make a move

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think it's that Prime is better, per say, they just don't release as much as Netflix do, so their hit to miss ratio is much better. Two of my favourite shows this year were on Prime (The Wilds and Tales From The Loop) but there was maybe 7 months between them being released and I'd say Prime only had 2 or 3 other originals debut in that period between. Whereas Netflix are nearly launching a new show every other week. They're also very bad at trying to cash in on anything that becomes popular. There's a rake of very similar shows on there. But at the end of the year I could probably say I enjoyed more on Netflix than I did on Prime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's not really. They release very little content so once you've watched those series, there's very little left. Dig down into some of the foreign language shows, Netflix are delivering plenty of quality content.. Just not hugely in the film area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I enjoyed midnight sky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I just started Bridgerton, the idea that anyone would believe this to be historically accurate is truly laughable. As for the show it's enjoyable fluff so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I find netflix very much quantity over quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ixoy wrote: »
    It's not really. They release very little content so once you've watched those series, there's very little left. Dig down into some of the foreign language shows, Netflix are delivering plenty of quality content.. Just not hugely in the film area.

Kinda different but I am watching live PL football right now and I enjoyed watching the Rugby too.

I only watch documentary's on Netflix these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Big difference with netflix too is it seems more keen to produce content for non English speaking markets. I don't get the impression Amazon is as interested; certainly there has been a lot more mainland European Netflix shows of late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I just started Bridgerton, the idea that anyone would believe this to be historically accurate is truly laughable. As for the show it's enjoyable fluff so far.

"Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present, controls the past… Past events, it is argued, have no objective existence, but survive only in written records and in human memories"

It is historically accurate and if you think otherwise then you're racist. :D

Advertisement