Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demon's Souls - PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Farming ritual path this morning and dual sword wielding ninja dropped 3 pure bladestone chunks in 30 minutes. Was this not a 1% drop rate?!

Since it doesn't look like Fromsoft are doing it; would love to see them do Demo's Souls 2 or Bloodborne 2. Both Sony properties.

Honestly speaking, From was using the toolbox available to them and they blew all games (aside from DS2 IMO) out of the park.

BluePoint deserve every high credit for the remake but creatively FS have authored the games/ideas/systems - I would far prefer proper sequels in the hands of FS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Stumbled into maneater last night.
    Normally this is one of my choke points in the game where I go of and start mining like crazy but I was expecting a different boss and had gone and sold one of my demon souls for a lovely poisonous cloud...
    That combined with the thief ring and where I was standing in the game made the second half of the battle a walk over.

Once I got past my initial panic of I can’t seem to teleport back to the nexus to hey I’ve nearly killed you...
    Brilliant.

Only other observations - seems the old rules of PVP combat are gone out the window.
    Used to be
    - gesture
    - fight with no healing

Now its just spam the healing potions and win at all means.
    Feels cheapened somehow, I need to remember I can heal too i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Taltos wrote: »
    Only other observations - seems the old rules of PVP combat are gone out the window.
    Used to be
    - gesture
    - fight with no healing
    The way I see it is : If someone invades my game, then I will do anything to get them out of my game. I'll gesture when they're dead...

I love the jolly cooperation for sure, but the PvP has never been something I've been in to in these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Finished this last night. Thought it was an amazing game, really enjoyed the journey through it. Was probably a bit overleveled by the end as I did a right bit of going over past worlds before I tackled 1-4, as I wanted to see the differences with pure white tendency etc. But that didn't take away from my enjoyment of it. Will 100% be going through NG+ with a magic build or something else to go at it a different approach, first time I just went with a full on strength build. But will let it rest for a bit now and tackle that next year probably.

Really wouldn't have expected Demons Souls to be the game I'd spend most time on after the PS5 launch - I've never given any of the Souls games any thought, but played through Bloodborne a month or two before this and loved that, and bought Demons Souls day 1. Now I'm eager to check out the other games, but I fear it'll be a bit jarring going back to older games after how incredible this one looks. I figure Dark Souls 3 would be the easiest transition seeing as its 60fps, do you miss out on anything going straight to that before looking at 1 or 2, are they linked story-wise? Though again I'll probably not be looking at that til next year some time as Cyberpunk will probably be what I'm playing mostly for the next while when I have the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

shrewdness wrote: »
    Finished this last night. Thought it was an amazing game, really enjoyed the journey through it. Was probably a bit overleveled by the end as I did a right bit of going over past worlds before I tackled 1-4, as I wanted to see the differences with pure white tendency etc. But that didn't take away from my enjoyment of it. Will 100% be going through NG+ with a magic build or something else to go at it a different approach, first time I just went with a full on strength build. But will let it rest for a bit now and tackle that next year probably.

Really wouldn't have expected Demons Souls to be the game I'd spend most time on after the PS5 launch - I've never given any of the Souls games any thought, but played through Bloodborne a month or two before this and loved that, and bought Demons Souls day 1. Now I'm eager to check out the other games, but I fear it'll be a bit jarring going back to older games after how incredible this one looks. I figure Dark Souls 3 would be the easiest transition seeing as its 60fps, do you miss out on anything going straight to that before looking at 1 or 2, are they linked story-wise? Though again I'll probably not be looking at that til next year some time as Cyberpunk will probably be what I'm playing mostly for the next while when I have the time.
    There was a remaster of Dark Souls a couple of years ago that runs at 60fps so that could be worth a go.
    Personally I'd go with Dark Souls 3 myself as I feel it's a better game (sacrilege I know!)

-
    I'm in the middle of my second playthrough of Demon's Souls and I'm doing a magic build. It's a lot easier. Magic is pretty OP in this game, not that I'm complaining! :D

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    There was a remaster of Dark Souls a couple of years ago that runs at 60fps so that could be worth a go.
    Personally I'd go with Dark Souls 3 myself as I feel it's a better game (sacrilege I know!)

-
    I'm in the middle of my second playthrough of Demon's Souls and I'm doing a magic build. It's a lot easier. Magic is pretty OP in this game, not that I'm complaining! :D

I agree - DS3 would be more accessible to a modern audience. The remaster of DS1 was a bit messy TBH and its showing its age somewhat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

SomeSayKos wrote: »

I also preferred DS3 to DS1, though it might be heavily influenced by the fact that I played DS3 first. I thought the last 40% of DS was absolutely terrible. DS3 doesn't reach DS1's highest moments but it is far more consistent overall.

Just beat the first boss. The graphics are stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eugene Victor Tooms

sticker wrote: »
    I agree - DS3 would be more accessible to a modern audience. The remaster of DS1 was a bit messy TBH and its showing its age somewhat now.

I just finished DS1 on the Series X last week. It'd been 9 years since I played it and despite it not being as "magic" as it was back in the day, it's a cracking game.

I still got the familiar sweaty palms in Sen's Fortress and trying to take out the archer knights in Anor Londo.

Killed Smough and Ornstein on my second try. Took me three days the first time!!

• Advertisement

I just finished DS1 on the Series X last week. It'd been 9 years since I played it and despite it not being as "magic" as it was back in the day, it's a cracking game.

I still got the familiar sweaty palms in Sen's Fortress and trying to take out the archer knights in Anor Londo.

Killed Smough and Ornstein on my second try. Took me three days the first time!!

Let me preface this by explaining that I am not good at Soulsborne games, I can usually only make it through by overlevelling and summoning. I managed to beat O+S on my first try. Went right down to the wire, I killed the skinny one first and then the fat one killed me at the exact same moment I killed him. I was worried it wouldn't count but made my way back to the room and sure enough they were gone. Epic fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 bosses so far.

4-1 is tough enough to even get to the boss! Any tips for those
    metal robot
    enemies?

metal robot
    enemies?

Do you mean the skeletons? They take extra damage to blunt weapons, so try one of those if you have one, if you do not then try punching them (seriously). Also highly recommend you avoid dying in human form at all costs in world 4, kill yourself in the nexus if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

metal robot
    enemies?

You mean the red eye skeletons? Best bait their double sword lunge, that will give you time to get 1 or 2 hits on them. Then back away and bait them to lung again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Really enjoying it so far. Just beat
    Maneater
    which was the first boss that I had real trouble with, so there was immense satisfaction when he finally went down. The graphics are phenomenal, and the music especially during boss fights is epic! Can’t wait to play a bit more at lunch.

McFly85 wrote: »
    Maneater
    which was the first boss that I had real trouble with, so there was immense satisfaction when he finally went down. The graphics are phenomenal, and the music especially during boss fights is epic! Can’t wait to play a bit more at lunch.

I found that to be easily the hardest boss in the game. Just stayed away a threw fireballs at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

McFly85 wrote: »
    Maneater

I stayed behind the yoke in the middle. First time I went down I said that's a nope and headed of n a different direction. Bet it on the second try using the pit in the middle (hiding obviously :pac:)

Also, backstab the skeletons. Bit harder on 4-2 I think it is as the path is narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

petes wrote: »
    I stayed behind the yoke in the middle. First time I went down I said that's a nope and headed of n a different direction. Bet it on the second try using the pit in the middle (hiding obviously :pac:)

Also, backstab the skeletons. Bit harder on 4-2 I think it is as the path is narrow.

I ended up doing the same thing, there were a couple of occasions where I thought the fight was going reasonably well until I rolled myself right off the edge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Having played through the game originally on Playstation 3 few months after its launch release, it was a joy to come back to Boletaria and relive the moments that would birth my favourite franchise of all time.

Its still impressive after 11 years just how amazing this game has aged in terms of its Level Design , Gameplay and Lore . the OG soundtrack is still some of the best music in videogames . Whats least impressive is how basic some of the bosses are in the game , albeit Miyazaki just jumped on to make a new IP which was a Spirtual Successor to the King Field games, so it was more important for him to leave a name for himself and create a strong blueprint for future titles down the line.

In terms of the remake itself , for about 60-70%% I think Bluepoint did an amazing job recreating Demon souls . Its amazing to have a version of this game at 60fps looking as good as it does . But I cannot ever agree with them changing art assests with the bosses, enemies and the overall aesthetic of the DS world.

Something got lost in translation in their HQ when they decided to redo alot of FS art from the OG game . It felt like half their art team wanted to make Boletaria Dragon Age/Elder scrolls and the other half wanted to do gothic Bloodborne style themes for the world and bosses .

One of the biggest pet peeves is the OG Soundtrack is behind a €100 paywall and can only get by buying the digital deleuxe version of the game along with armour and weapons ?? :mad: which is an absoutle disgrace.

Sony advertising play has no limits ?? well I guess thats a lie.

Overall the remake is a 9/10 while the OG Demon Souls is 9.5/10

A fantastic Faithful Remake to a incredible game . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I accidentally just killed patches in the tunnel city. What does this mean for the rest of my game?

• Advertisement

Only that he won’t appear as a vendor for you later - heavy arrows are his big selling point if I recall.

weiland79 wrote: »
    I accidentally just killed patches in the tunnel city. What does this mean for the rest of my game?

I did exactly the same and he only dropped my third thief ring...

So not a disaster?

Someone on reddit is telling me I've ruined my play through as I wont be able to purchase sticky white stuff and I should just restart.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Someone on reddit is telling me I've ruined my play through as I wont be able to purchase sticky white stuff and I should just restart.

Nonsense. You can buy and farm it in game.

Think you can farm it in the swamp - don’t mind them. Just out to spoil your day.
    Killed him too my first time around, big whup ;)

Get out there and get slaying...

What the hell was he doing standing there waving at me like a big eejit in the middle of a lava lake anyway?

Think he was shouting “kill me... kill me...”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didn’t once use sticky white stuff during the game - you’re absolutely fine without it, even if you couldn’t farm it.

On a side note, the graphic for said ‘sticky white stuff’ is inadvertently... suggestive, on top of the suggestive name :pac:

• Advertisement

Advertisement