Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demon's Souls - PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Depending on how good you are, what equipment you have and what you used the stats for, you are slightly over levelled if halfway.

NG+ resets that of course, but depending on how you set your character up it shouldn't take long to reach parity
    PWCT and the Northern Regalia makes things a lot easier

I went for a magic knight build, knight starting class with unchanged luck, dex and faith stats. Got End and Vit to 30 each, strength at 34. After this I raised intelligence to 15 and started in on raising magic - currently at 17.

I am using a +4 Moon claymore which scales with strength and magic, and a +5 purple flame shield. Have the upgraded soul arrow spell and enchant weapon attuned. Wearing full flute armour too so the build is a LOT of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dying in a world when in human form will count towards black world tendency.

Played my first run through in soul form to avoid this.

Not a huge fan of the tendency system to be honest.

Ah okay, I'm mostly in soul form but not by choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    How are ye setting off black world tendency? Are ye slaughtering npc's or happening some other way?
    When I wanted to deliberately go into pure black tendency I would use a blue stone, jump off a cliff, rinse and repeat. Usually takes around 6 or 7 stones to do this.

Finished the game at the weekend and I really really loved it. Sekiro is probably still my favourite From game as I love the rhythm a little bit more but Demon's Souls is easily my favourite of the 'Souls' series. Every world in it has a brilliant identity and atmosphere and the game feels like a perfect length whereas my criticism of Dark Souls 1 is that it outstays its welcome slightly (Demons Ruins and Lost Izalith in particular). Bluepoint did a fantastic job on this with every part of the game looking beautiful. I'm going to start my second playthrough this evening! Gonna go with a magic build this time for a comparison.

And although nobody asked, here is my ranking of the 'soulsborne' games. :pac:

1. Sekiro
    2. Bloodborne
    3. Demon's Souls
    4. Dark Souls 3
    5. Dark Souls 1
    6. Dark Souls 2

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    When I wanted to deliberately go into pure black tendency I would use a blue stone, jump off a cliff, rinse and repeat. Usually takes around 6 or 7 stones to do this.

Finished the game at the weekend and I really really loved it. Sekiro is probably still my favourite From game as I love the rhythm a little bit more but Demon's Souls is easily my favourite of the 'Souls' series. Every world in it has a brilliant identity and atmosphere and the game feels like a perfect length whereas my criticism of Dark Souls 1 is that it outstays its welcome slightly (Demons Ruins and Lost Izalith in particular). Bluepoint did a fantastic job on this with every part of the game looking beautiful. I'm going to start my second playthrough this evening! Gonna go with a magic build this time for a comparison.

And although nobody asked, here is my ranking of the 'soulsborne' games. :pac:

1. Sekiro
    2. Bloodborne
    3. Demon's Souls
    4. Dark Souls 3
    5. Dark Souls 1
    6. Dark Souls 2

I really really wanted to like Sekiro but it was just too difficult for me, I got to around the halfway point and just hit a wall. No summoning or over-levelling but it beyond my reach.

After that my rank would be the same as yours. DS2 is the only one I actively disliked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d kind of neglected Demon’s Souls as a cool first game that was rendered redundant by Dark Souls. But definitely appreciating a lot of aspects of it that were disregarded by later design choices. Far more room for creative, tight level design when everything doesn’t need to link up to an overworld.

Definitely more room to play around with builds too, although to be fair the more rigid mechanics of Sekiro have their strengths too - just different schools of design,

I’d still class Bloodborne as my favourite, followed by Sekiro and Dark Souls... but this is close on their heels, and definitely the one beginners should try first. It has its difficulty spikes, but most of the bosses are among the most manageable in the series by a fair distance.

• Advertisement

Definitely more room to play around with builds too, although to be fair the more rigid mechanics of Sekiro have their strengths too - just different schools of design,
    I think given my short attention span, something like the simplicity or streamlining of the Sekiro leveling/weapon systems appeal to me a lot more than the other games. I like focusing on my timings and strategies rather than taking the time to consider the stats/scaling of weapons. Again, this is probably down to my short attention span!

In the other games I find it hard to really fall in love with a particular weapon due to always wondering/worrying if there's a better weapon out there that I've missed or having to wait until mid-game to get a particular weapon etc. What I like about Sekiro is that the sword you have at the start is the sword you finish with and although there's scope to play around with the shinobi prosthetics the bulk of the game is about using your sword effectively.
    In active gameplay I enjoy the Sekiro loop of being aggresive until you hear that specific sword clashing sound and then preparing for the timed parries. I think this why Sekiro has my favourite boss fights out of all the From games.
    I replayed a good chunk of Sekiro yesterday and I managed to beat the first Genichiro encounter without taking a single hit and the experience was akin to playing a musical instrument and nailing a tricky piece of music.
    Guardian ape's second phase is incredible satisfying because it's all about parrying those big awkwardly timed swings and then there's Isshin the Sword Saint which is hands down my favourite boss fight in any game I've ever played.

Still yet to play Sekiro and I imagine on the PS5 is a good time to start but I never use parry in the Souls game and hearing Sekiro is mostly parrying puts me off. Def gonna try it soon tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PopeVicodin

Still yet to play Sekiro and I imagine on the PS5 is a good time to start but I never use parry in the Souls game and hearing Sekiro is mostly parrying puts me off. Def gonna try it soon tho.

Parrying is a bit different in Sekiro. I think a friend of mine partially nailed it recently when he said Sekiro is like a rhythm game rather than a Souls game.

Because parrying is a focus of Sekiro and not a choice it's built around parrying. It's mechanically different to Souls. It really is a little bit closer, in some regard, to something like One Finger Death Punch or Kick Beat where you get into a rhythm and react based on queues. Weapon flash means block/parry. Red indicator means sidestep/ jump. Etc.

Think of how Bloodborne was also built around its mechanics to give you something Souls-like but different too.

There's a lot of things I forgot about in Demon's Souls in the years since I've played it. Some of the things were never revisited. Like, for instance, your build determines where you go first after Phalanx. Strenght and dex should visit Stonefang Tunnel for weapon upgrades. Mage's can visit Tower of Latria early to rescue Freke for powerful spells. Priests can explore Valley of Defilement for miracles.

Then there's that whole World Tendency thing which I still don't fully get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

petes wrote: »
    It was me ha. Even with all the shortcuts open some of the treks back to the boss were a bit long.

Probably too used to bonfires being so close to bosses in Dark Souls

I tred this but could not get it to work - is it a quick press of PS button or long hold?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Parrying in sekiro is much looser than the souls games. It feels more like metal gear revengeance with a slightly tighter party window.

Is there a shortcut for Latria 1?

Best time to jump in. 60fps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Is there a shortcut for Latria 1?

There are some that you can open as you go through the level that will stay open.

You can get it so that you just have have to fight two of the guards with the bell to get to the boss.

There are some that you can open as you go through the level that will stay open.

You can get it so that you just have have to fight two of the guards with the bell to get to the boss.

That's pretty much where I am. It's a long run.
    I doubt there's anything shorter given the proximity of the boss to the archstone, but thought I'd check in case.

That's pretty much where I am. It's a long run.
    I doubt there's anything shorter given the proximity of the boss to the archstone, but thought I'd check in case.

If the run is that long just quit if you die and reload

This guy's YouTube channel is great for Demon's Souls. The below video is on all the NPCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT8nZUQI2Eg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Sorry if posted before but gas video here

When i was playing this on ps3, quit and moved onto new games as i couldn't get past 3-2. I freed the guy from the cell, lowered to the swamp and got a bit lost. Those 'things' freaked me out and i went to play happier games instead and never got back to it. I am now past that section and it's so satisfying to go full circle. Had one crack at Maneater and he 2 shot me. Still beaming though, picked up a lot of treasure in that level including some nice spiky armour :) . The heart beating through the DS5 was a very nice touch.

Feels good to be passed my ps3 progress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

When i was playing this on ps3, quit and moved onto new games as i couldn't get past 3-2. I freed the guy from the cell, lowered to the swamp and got a bit lost. Those 'things' freaked me out and i went to play happier games instead and never got back to it. I am now past that section and it's so satisfying to go full circle. Had one crack at Maneater and he 2 shot me. Still beaming though, picked up a lot of treasure in that level including some nice spiky armour :) . The heart beating through the DS5 was a very nice touch.

Feels good to be passed my ps3 progress.

Did you free any characters?
    Can you remember the names of any characters you may have freed on your travels to Maneater?

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    Did you free any characters?
    Can you remember the names of any characters you may have freed on your travels to Maneater?

I freed
    Yurt and killed him knowing what he ends up doing :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The best moment in the entire Souls series is finally kicking down that 5-2 shortcut and knowing you can finally skip that goddamned accursed swamp whenever you want.

The best moment in the entire Souls series is finally kicking down that 5-2 shortcut and knowing you can finally skip that goddamned accursed swamp whenever you want.
    I let out a sigh of relief when I saw that shortcut The following boss was pretty dang easy too which made the whole swamp experience very brief!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Except by that point all you really have left is a very easy boss so you end up not using it.

Made some serious progress last night, finished 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, 4-3 and 5-1. Only have 5-2 and 5-3 left before going back to Boletaria.

Upper Latria is incredible, easily my favourite section of any Souls game. The atmosphere, music and graphics were all 10/10. I'm really really glad I decided to mix some magic into my build, there's no way I would have been able to beat Maneater without my fireball. My reaction when that thing happened halfway thru the fight was quite something, I was not prepared for that.

Been putting 5-2 off, now I can't put it off anymore. Any advice?

Markitron wrote: »

Been putting 5-2 off, now I can't put it off anymore. Any advice?
    Yes! I hope you picked up the
    sodden ring
    down at the bottom of latria!

Yes! I hope you picked up the
    sodden ring
    down at the bottom of latria!

I did! Can't remember what it does though.

That section was really good, when the level started high up I did not see it going to a place like that, very Lovecraftian (except without all the racism).

I did! Can't remember what it does though.

That section was really good, when the level started high up I did not see it going to a place like that, very Lovecraftian (except without all the racism).
    That item allows you to move full speed in swampy water which makes 5-2 infinitely easier.

I left Boletaria after killing the tower knight, is there much of the game left from that point onwards? I don't want it to end. This is easily my 2nd favourite after BloodBorne.
    That item allows you to move full speed in swampy water which makes 5-2 infinitely easier.

Nice

• Advertisement

I left Boletaria after killing the tower knight, is there much of the game left from that point onwards? I don't want it to end. This is easily my 2nd favourite after BloodBorne.

Nice
    Judging by what you said a couple of posts up in terms of your progress I reckon you have another 2 or 3 hours left.

Advertisement