Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demon's Souls - PS5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sticker wrote: »
    Edit are there better soul farming spots ahead deeper in the game? I'm looking ritual path at present.. just got a war scythe drop from the reaper and a good few chunks..

That's probably the best spot, Ring of Avarice will increase souls, as will the Silver Bracelet if character is female.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d also suggest it’s a game where you don’t actually need to spend that much time farming. The game has a natural sense of progression and flow to it, and part of the fun is having enemies be a match for you. Flattening the curve means you’ll breeze through later levels in a way that’s actually kinda boring first time around. And the bosses here are all fairly manageable by Souls standards in the first place.

Sure, spend 45 mins to an hour getting a few levels when you first reach 4-2 - there’s some good spots there. And find an optimal spot if you’re short on healing items. But it’s a fairly compact, short game so there’s no need to be spending endless hours grinding out soul levels unless you’re into serious post-game / min-maxing territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I breezed through 5-1, 5-2 was a pain but like retro said, by the time i unlocked the shortcut, i didn't need it as i best the boss first go. 5-3 cleaned up and all that i have left is 1-4. Just met Ostrava so i think I'm near the end. Never once farmed or grinded for souls or items, loved every minute of my playthrough as a slightly magic Knight. Take used magic but kept the wand handy. Have Brushwood armour and tower shield so hefty as **** but I'm like an Iron wall which is also class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I’d also suggest it’s a game where you don’t actually need to spend that much time farming. The game has a natural sense of progression and flow to it, and part of the fun is having enemies be a match for you. Flattening the curve means you’ll breeze through later levels in a way that’s actually kinda boring first time around. And the bosses here are all fairly manageable by Souls standards in the first place.

Sure, spend 45 mins to an hour getting a few levels when you first reach 4-2 - there’s some good spots there. And find an optimal spot if you’re short on healing items. But it’s a fairly compact, short game so there’s no need to be spending endless hours grinding out soul levels unless you’re into serious post-game / min-maxing territory.

All fair points, but to be honest I've really enjoyed the experience so far - I honestly haven't farmed that long - Only today did my soul requirements jump from 5K to 20K... I've a lot of terrian covered in the game also. two more bosses cleaned up today.

Anyway - loving every minute of it so thats the main priority!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Just got past the flame lurker at last. Solo’d it but did help one other get past.
    The next boss though - what’s happened to them - easy on PS3 - this time around I just keep dying - ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PopeVicodin

Taltos wrote: »
    Just got past the flame lurker at last. Solo’d it but did help one other get past.
    The next boss though - what’s happened to them - easy on PS3 - this time around I just keep dying - ridiculous

The Golden.. I mean Dragon God? Yeah he kept messing me up on the second pillar. It seems random if you make it through the second breakable or not.

This is cool. The amount of details in this game is amazing.

The mysterious noise, some here thought hinted at MGS, is mentioned here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Dragon God is far and away the most annoying boss in the game, at least along the main path. The visual cues for where to hide just aren’t distinct enough, and the gaps between punches not enough to push through the rubble.

Dragons in general are annoying bastards - chipping away at the health bars of the flying lads doesn’t make for the most stimulating encounters in gaming :pac:

Looked up the mausoleum key while waiting to play this later and saw its for a door in 1-1 but the weapon you get sounds absolutely class. So do i push on or zip back to the nexus and get that weapon before tackling the final boss?

Also, where is a good place to lay my summon sign to help people out when I'm finished? Can i even do that if i best the last boss? Does it go straight to NG+.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll be straight to Ng+.

If you want to help pepe out put your summon sign down at the start of a level. Usually the best place and just play the level. You won't be long waiting to be summoned.

3 is probably the most fun to do that on as you'll get involved in old monk shenanigans as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Anyone know where to get Hardstone chunks. Can't get them to drop from the miners or crystal lizards in Stonefang Tunnel. Need another 4 for last weapon upgrade.

Anyone know where to get Hardstone chunks. Can't get them to drop from the miners or crystal lizards in Stonefang Tunnel. Need another 4 for last weapon upgrade.

https://demonssouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Hardstone+Chunk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Maybe farm souls to boost luck which will help with drops.
    Other than that, NG+ to refresh the in-game drops.

That sword was a bust for me, had to upgrade dex and faith and in the end, bolateria is the only place i don't have full white tendancy to get full use out of it. It's slow as **** as well.

Onto Allant, what a ****er! Think I'll have to go back to Nexus and check my storage for another build. My tower spells can't handle his magic and i need to be able to roll in this one i think. Balls, was hoping to finish this tonight.

EDIT: changed to dark silver shield and took the heavy armour off. I can roll and have 100 defense against physical and magic but guardbreak is hurting it. Upgraded it with one colourless soul but that's as far as i can go first attempt at him, got him down to about 66% health so I'd say i can take him. Just need more time for patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Finished it last night, ****ing amazing game. Feel like I missed a few bits but sure I can save them for another playthrough sometime next year. The magic knight build I went with was an insane amount of fun, easily the most fun I have had with FROM combat outside of Bloodborne. My ranking is now as following:

Bloodborne
    Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls 3
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls 2 (didn't finish this one cos I actively disliked it).

Bate Allant 2nd attempt today, some difference a night's sleep makes. Finished it there, straight into NG+1 before I could do any invading. Gonna play some other games for a bit now but absolutely loved every second of that, Bluepoint did such an amazing job. That video on the last page of the final secrets and how each boss releases their human form in soul particles is just brilliant.

Today is the day for finishing the game it seems :)

Credits just rolled for me there. Thoroughly enjoyed revisiting it, albeit with a steady frame rate and fetching coat of paint. Ultimately it’s the same game I played 11 years ago, with just the occasional nip and/or tuck, but was fascinating and rewarding revisiting it after five other Soulsborne games. Has its many strengths (often inspired level design first and foremost) and occasional drawbacks (plenty of ideas that would be more fully realised earlier on).

Was taken aback in many ways by how easy it was. A few bits gave me some trouble - 4-2 in particular - but largely breezed through it considering I was relearning almost everything in terms of level layouts etc... I’m sure better rolling doesn’t hurt, nor does years of becoming fluent in the design and movement language of the Souls games. But 100% think this is the one newcomers to the series should start with - indeed, may have been blessed myself to have been somewhat prepared for Dark Souls when it launched back in the day thanks to the PS3 original. A new Souls game can still throw some sort of stumbling block in the way - here, I didn’t even once consider having to summon help. A comfortable, even relaxing jog to the finish line all-in-all.

As a remake, I’m going to have to somewhat cede authority to some of the more knowledgable critics / fans out there - I’ve heard criticisms of some of the visual and soundtrack changes which seem absolutely fair and well-reasoned. Certainly some of the areas now look rather remarkable here as well - world 3 in particular soars. But it’s been so long since I’ve played the original I can’t make meaningful comparisons myself. I will say Shadow of the Colossus felt like a slightly more ‘compromised’ retelling that lost some of the atmosphere, style and visual essence of the original game (even though it was theoretically very similar). This felt less jarring to me, perhaps because the original was so clearly a lower budget production and perhaps could have used a bit extra TLC in some regards. It got it here, even if a handful of the new creative choices raise an eyebrow.

All-in-all a fine game. A great launch game that bodes well for the other true next-gen games to come - a game this pretty at 60 FPS is a wonder to behold on a console. But beneath those Bluepoint flourishes this is pure 2009 baby, and time has been kind to the game that spawned an unlikely phenomenon.

I will say - I’d love to see Bluepoint tackle something that isn’t a remake or a remaster. They’re clearly talented people, would love to see them bring the crew on-board to experiment with something more original. Hell, would even take that sixth archstone ;)

I'm started my final form character today. After playing around with various starting character and sussing out how I want to build I know now how I want to complete it. I selected magician and started stacking everything in Magic up to the soft cap of 30 and am now stacking everything into Intelligence to get to 24 for now before adding some survivability with Vitality and Stamina. I ran straight to the crescent falchion +1 after Phalanx then straight to tower Giant and took him down in seconds. Had a third of his energy before he even fell just ankle-biting.

Have to say I'm racing through it with foresight. I think this might be the shortest Souls game by quite a bit.

I will say - I’d love to see Bluepoint tackle something that isn’t a remake or a remaster. They’re clearly talented people, would love to see them bring the crew on-board to experiment with something more original. Hell, would even take that sixth archstone ;)

Since it doesn't look like Fromsoft are doing it; would love to see them do Demo's Souls 2 or Bloodborne 2. Both Sony properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Finished it this evening - Masterpiece!!!

I've never played any of the Souls games or games of their types as I didn't think they were up my ally but I was wrong. Whatever about the visuals, the atmosphere in the game is just incredible. Especially with the 3D audio. Whole of world 3 was immense. Enjoyed all the worlds truth be told.

Was expecting it to be more difficult than it was in the end. Game is definitely harder than more less any other game I've played but I think the 60FPS helped a lot. Learning curve at the start was tough but once you get used to the mechanics of the combat its fine. I went for the a big metal knight build. Blocking and parrying everything. Rarely rolled. Used the Long Sword the entire game which was at +9 for end game. Only bosses that took more than 2 tries I think were the Flamelurker and Maneater.

I see everyone rave about Bloodbourne but I'm not sure I can go back to 30FPS after experiencing Souls in 60FPS.

• Advertisement

I see everyone rave about Bloodbourne but I'm not sure I can go back to 30FPS after experiencing Souls in 60FPS.

Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro both got 60FPS upgrades. Both brilliant games too. Dark Souls 3 would be closer to Demon's Souls than the other two.

I read somewhere that in Bloodborne the 30FPS is baked into it. That if you double the frame-rates the game ends up running twice as fast. So it's like playing in fast forward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If bloodborne was solid 30fps it would be amazing. It's the awful framepacing that kills it. It's still amazing but it could have been incredible of they sorted that out.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If bloodborne was solid 30fps it would be amazing. It's the awful framepacing that kills it. It's still amazing but it could have been incredible of they sorted that out.

I still cannot figure out for the life of me why this game hasn't been patched to take advantage of the more advanced hardware it can now run on. This isn't some obscure indie game from a developer that went out of business 5 years ago, its a game that Sony themselves position as a jewel in their crown. Its not like they need FROM to do it either as they own it. I remember the day after the Pro was announced in 2016, I was actually gonna start a new game but held off cos I was SO sure it was gonna be patched. Its ****ing bizarre.

It would take messing with the engine to update it and sonys contract with from has long since expired. Getting a team in that is unfamiliar with the code will cost a lot of money to fix and that money will not be made back in new sales of bloodborne.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It would take messing with the engine to update it and sonys contract with from has long since expired. Getting a team in that is unfamiliar with the code will cost a lot of money to fix and that money will not be made back in new sales of bloodborne.

I'm not overly familiar with the situation but didn't some randomer have it running at 60 FPS recently? Either way they could probably justify the effort if they release it on PC as well. We can only hope, feels like that game is imprisoned on the base PS4.

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm not overly familiar with the situation but didn't some randomer have it running at 60 FPS recently? Either way they could probably justify the effort if they release it on PC as well. We can only hope, feels like that game is imprisoned on the base PS4.

You've an awful lot less hoops to jump through as a homebrewer. There's an awful lot more work involved in an official release. And all the homebrewer did was remove the framerate limiter. It still didn't run quite perfectly so would sti need a lot more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

There is so much to learn in this game, my issue is I only get about 1 hour an night to play.

Hoping to beat 2-2, or 3-1 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There is so much to learn in this game, my issue is I only get about 1 hour an night to play.

Do 3-1 first. I finished 4-1 and 5-1 last night. Starting on 2-2 tonight.

Do 3-1 first. I finished 4-1 and 5-1 last night. Starting on 2-2 tonight.

Yea, I think in general you should start with all the x-1 stages first, aside from maybe 1-2, there is a noticeable step up in difficulty.

• Advertisement

What class are you? If you're magic do 3-1. If faith do 5-1.

Advertisement