Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

And IMO, it has to be everyone 'suffering' some sort of change for it to be acceptable. Would be completely unfair to leave just some counties with their original identity.

Personally think something like 16 or 24 regions with a population/market of 400K or 300K people would seem sensible and would be the way you'd go if you were starting from scratch. But we're not starting from scratch, so can't see any acceptable solution unfortunately.

Yep the only way this will work is starting from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It’s amateurs vs professionals.

It’s not as simple as raise your game.

I really believe Dublin would be successful if they played in the Australian Football league

Your 1st statement is factually incorrect.
    Every team has S&C coaches and have developed personalised training programs for each player. So to say it's not just about raising you game is untrue, it's far to simplistic a statement, but conditioning needs to improve in some counties.

I don't think they would. Totally different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Splitting into 2 would probably make more sense but we'd be back here in 10 splitting then again.

Remember splitting in 2 they'd still have 700k population, far more than any other county, they'd still play the semi finals and finals at home. They'd still have all their players living and working locally. Still have big financial advantages. That's hard to compete with.

Splitting in 2 would be incredibly short sighted and make little sense at all, I don't think it'd even take 10 years before the domination issues arise.

Splitting in 4 would be logical, 4 new "counties" with a 350k population projected to grow significantly in the coming years, all with financial advantages and permanent home advantage over the competitors. Dubs should take that offer and run because the deck is still stacked in their new 4 teams favour.

An 8-way split is probably more along the lines of funding parity and when the Leinster championship becomes competitive to the other counties again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

JeffKenna wrote: »
    All counties in Munster are hurling counties bar Kerry.

Its the GAA and not the Hurling or Football association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Do you amalgamate for both codes. A Clare/Limerick amalgamation in the football would probably make it a competitive team but then the hurling would be far too good.

Limerick and Clare wouldn't join in hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If Dublin does ever split I really hope they don't call the teams to vikings or the tigers or any of that crap

You've very little to worry you.

Rolo2010 wrote: »

Then why should they be forced to join in football?

That's the problem with amalgamations in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do you amalgamate for both codes. A Clare/Limerick amalgamation in the football would probably make it a competitive team but then the hurling would be far too good.

None of the top 9 in hurling will be changing any time soon

Because their football teams win nothing and have small fan bases.

Outside of playing on the same size pitch it's about time we realized that football and hurling are different. I would support a north Munster football team but if you take away Limerick from hurling the GAA can go F off as far as I'm concerned

No one should be forced to join up but it should be an option

• Advertisement

Because their football teams win nothing and have small fan bases.

Outside of playing on the same size pitch it's about time we realized that football and hurling are different. I would support a north Munster football team but if you take away Limerick from hurling the GAA can go F off as far as I'm concerned

And what about taking Limerick football away from Limerick football fans? Or do they not count?

Limerick+Clare wouldn't win anything anyway in football so why take the identity away? For what?

And what about taking Limerick football away from Limerick football fans? Or do they not count?

Limerick+Clare wouldn't win anything anyway in football so why take the identity away? For what?

I am a Limerick football fan to start so get off your high horse. I would happily follow Limerick in a tiered championship or follow a rest of Munster or North Munster side in a single tier championship just as I follow Limerick now.

But in hurling it would be a disaster to join any Munster teams. Two different sports with two different set of circumstances

I am a Limerick football fan to start so get off your high horse. I would happily follow Limerick in a tiered championship or follow a rest of Munster or North Munster side in a single tier championship just as I follow Limerick now.

But in hurling it would be a disaster to join any Munster teams. Two different sports with two different set of circumstances

If you'd be happy with your football team disappearing and shouting for Clare or Tipperary footballers then you would probably be better off with the soccer.

If you'd be happy with your football team disappearing and shouting for Clare or Tipperary footballers then you would probably be better off with the soccer.

I wouldn't be shouting for Clare or Tipp footballers I would be shouting for Munster footballers. Clubs in the GAA amalgamate all the time so why not. I support Limerick but in the future if something was to change I would support whatever team the players from my club represented if the GAA were able to make an honest case that it would make the championship more competitive.

Me being willing to accept this does not make me less of a GAA fan than you so no I won't be off to watch the soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Rolo2010 wrote: »

So now you have Clare GAA, Limerick GAA amd a Climerick GAA? That seems to just increase the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I wouldn't be shouting for Clare or Tipp footballers I would be shouting for Munster footballers. Clubs in the GAA amalgamate all the time so why not. I support Limerick but in the future if something was to change I would support whatever team the players from my club represented if the GAA were able to make an honest case that it would make the championship more competitive.

Me being willing to accept this does not make me less of a GAA fan than you so no I won't be off to watch the soccer

But a Munster team has already happened and been a failure. Remember the railway cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

But a Munster team has already happened and been a failure. Remember the railway cup?

We currently have an amalgamation of 4 counties in Dublin and it's an even bigger failure.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    We currently have an amalgamation of 4 counties in Dublin and it's an even bigger failure.

Pure nonsense Dublin is 1 county , and its doing very well ;)

Split Dublin in 4. All 4 play off with the winner representing Dublin in the All Ireland. The Dublin brand will remain and with one team you won't have a Dublin v Dublin final each year.

Those 4 counties are meaningless for GAA. Nobody cares about Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. Any split of Dublin will be at most 2 (north and south of the river). Maybe 3 if a Fingal team was created.

• Advertisement

Did the railway cup team play in the All Ireland?
    No so it's very different

Split Dublin in 4. All 4 play off with the winner representing Dublin in the All Ireland. The Dublin brand will remain and with one team you won't have a Dublin v Dublin final each year.

How would this benefit the likes of Leitrim Sligo Wicklow Waterford etc ?
    If Dublin is to be split amalgamations must happen also .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,791 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I don't see why any counties should be amalgamating, maybe counties with less than 60k population.

Splitting Dublin 4 ways would solve alot of issues and make the Leinster championship competitive again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

dunnerc wrote: »
    How would this benefit the likes of Leitrim Sligo Wicklow Waterford etc ?
    If Dublin is to be split amalgamations must happen also .

I'm not sure there's any solution to Division 4 teams being uncompetive and that's more of a red herring. The goal is to make Division 1 teams at least competitive again, which this would do.

I don't see why any counties should be amalgamating, maybe counties with less than 60k population.

Splitting Dublin 4 ways would solve alot of issues and make the Leinster championship competitive again.

Population isn't everything. Limerick have a big population but very little of it cares about football.

I would be ok with team amalgamating as long as it is voluntary and reversible. I really like the current hurling set up but if Connacht or Ulster ever got fed up of it and tried to compete for Liam with provincial teams id be fine with that too

Population isn't everything. Limerick have a big population but very little of it cares about football.

I would be ok with team amalgamating as long as it is voluntary and reversible. I really like the current hurling set up but if Connacht or Ulster ever got fed up of it and tried to compete for Liam with provincial teams id be fine with that too

Yet everyone loves to throw Dublins population around like every single one of them is a potential footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

To me that comes down to you wanting Dublin to be the only ones to take the pain. I don't think it could work that way - the split of Dublin could only work if everyone else was getting restructured in some way as well.

Your idea of just a Dublin fix might indeed solve some issues, but it would get zero buy-in from Dublin people. And it's pretty essential for the GAA that they don't lose Dublin. People I talk to, pretty hard-core fans, talk in terms of a mass boycott (both of players and fans) if there's a Dublin split. We have deep-rooted pride in the county lines as well. If it's an unpalatable concept for people from Mayo or Kerry or Sligo to consider it, remember we feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I think there is a big difference in a split and an amalgamation. If there is a split then you are still supporting the players from your local area. If there is an amalgamation then you are now supporting players who used to be your closest rivals. So in my opinion they are not the same thing at all.

Splitting Dublin 4 ways would solve alot of issues and make the Leinster championship competitive again.[/QUOTE

Well your entitled to your opinion
    I disagree , it will only work if amalgamations happen
    How will the Munster championship be competitive
    Kerry have 81 Munster titles , total domination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think there is a big difference in a split and an amalgamation. If there is a split then you are still supporting the players from your local area. If there is an amalgamation then you are now supporting players who used to be your closest rivals. So in my opinion they are not the same thing at all.

With a split, your closest deadliest rivals are now players who you recently cheered on.
    It's much the same imo (as in it's bad either way)

Advertisement