Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

With a split, your closest deadliest rivals are now players who you recently cheered on.
    It's much the same imo (as in it's bad either way)

Cheering for someone you dislike is a lot harder than cheering against someone you like. But we probably wont agree on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I think there is a big difference in a split and an amalgamation. If there is a split then you are still supporting the players from your local area. If there is an amalgamation then you are now supporting players who used to be your closest rivals. So in my opinion they are not the same thing at all.

See post 2488

Cheering for someone you dislike is a lot harder than cheering against someone you like. But we probably wont agree on this.

Correct we wont agree on this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Must be fair tough then for all those club fans to follow their county.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's any solution to Division 4 teams being uncompetive and that's more of a red herring. The goal is to make Division 1 teams at least competitive again, which this would do.

Whos goal is that ?
    Division 1 teams are already competitive

Kerry League champion 2020
    Mayo League champions 2019
    Kerry drew with Dublin in 2019 All Ireland , should have won
    Mayo drew with Dublin twice , losing by 1 point in 2 All Ireland finals
    Kerry lost to Dublin by 2 points in 2016 semi final
    Kerry lost to Dublin by 3 points in 2015 final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

dunnerc wrote: »
    I don't see why any counties should be amalgamating, maybe counties with less than 60k population.

Splitting Dublin 4 ways would solve alot of issues and make the Leinster championship competitive again.[/QUOTE

Well your entitled to your opinion
    I disagree , it will only work if amalgamations happen
    How will the Munster championship be competitive
    Kerry have 81 Munster titles , total domination

Kerry have none of the advantages that Dublin have, kerry are just good at football.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Kerry have none of the advantages that Dublin have, kerry are just good at football.

Not that good , they got beat by a div 3/ div 2 team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nearly five times the population of Leitrim, twice that of Roscommon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Nearly five times the population of Leitrim, twice that of Roscommon etc.

Very little interest in hurling, compared to all the other Munster counties helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,874 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Management teams of both club and county dont have much time to plan for training etc if they don't announce the 2021 plan soon

I'm all for the clubs going first, having the intercounty season done and dusted by July does not feel right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think there is a big difference in a split and an amalgamation. If there is a split then you are still supporting the players from your local area. If there is an amalgamation then you are now supporting players who used to be your closest rivals. So in my opinion they are not the same thing at all.

OK but if you take that train of logic - it will mean the other Dublin entities will merely act as feeder counties to the main county.

Real change is not achieved by just focusing on Dublin, but the old outdated championship structure.

There is a perfectly good competition in the league which should be expanded.
    It is as obvious as the nose on your face. Where teams of as similar level play each other. Closer competitive games.

Maybe a knock out open draw in the last 8 of each 'Championship'

If you look at normal years in the Championship it is normally division 1 teams who contest the SF's (in normal years). That is no fluke. Also when was the last time a team outside division 1 team won Sam?

Over 2-4 year periods - league success largely correlates to 'championship' success. Or at least team improvement.
    It is plainly obvious 1997-2020

But for some reason people expect a purely knock out competition where people play in lopsided provinces of huge variations of levels ,to be fair.

I think 'tradition' blinds a lot of people to the bleeding obvious.

How are Leitrim ever going to compete in Connacht or Waterford in Munster for example?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's any solution to Division 4 teams being uncompetive and that's more of a red herring. The goal is to make Division 1 teams at least competitive again, which this would do.
    Whos goal is that ?
    Division 1 teams are already competitive

Kerry League champion 2020
    Mayo League champions 2019
    Kerry drew with Dublin in 2019 All Ireland , should have won
    Mayo drew with Dublin twice , losing by 1 point in 2 All Ireland finals
    Kerry lost to Dublin by 2 points in 2016 semi final
    Kerry lost to Dublin by 3 points in 2015 final

I think people might find this article interesting Niall Moyna's comments on how the League is a much better competition than the championship. As teams of the same same level play each other.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/out-dated-outmoded-and-turning-people-off-niall-moyna-on-championship-1.4154409

Plus I will nearly put my house on it that Mayo will be back in div1 by 2022 - relegated this year for the first time in 23 years with 5 points.

Meanwhile Meath will struggle in div2 and have a dogfight to get out again. Because that is around their level at the moment. Similar problem with Kildare a consistent div 2 team who struggle at Super 8's and div 1 level. It is likely Armagh will be the whipping boys of div 1 and go straight back down.

In div there are a consistent top 7 who are there or thereabouts for extended periods. The no 8 team in Ireland always struggles to compete at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

OK but if you take that train of logic - it will mean the other Dublin entities will merely act as feeder counties to the main county.

Real change is not achieved by just focusing on Dublin, but the old outdated championship structure.

There is a perfectly good competition in the league which should be expanded.
    It is as obvious as the nose on your face. Where teams of as similar level play each other. Closer competitive games.

Maybe a knock out open draw in the last 8 of each 'Championship'

If you look at normal years in the Championship it is normally division 1 teams who contest the SF's (in normal years). That is no fluke. Also when was the last time a team outside division 1 team won Sam?

Over 2-4 year periods - league success largely correlates to 'championship' success. Or at least team improvement.
    It is plainly obvious 1997-2020

But for some reason people expect a purely knock out competition where people play in lopsided provinces of huge variations of levels ,to be fair.

I think 'tradition' blinds a lot of people to the bleeding obvious.

How are Leitrim ever going to compete in Connacht or Waterford in Munster for example?

Running the League from March to May followed by a straight knockout 2 tier championship. Div 1 and 2 sides are in Tier 1. Div 3 and 4 sides are in Tier 2. Leaves Feb for provincials.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Running the League from March to May followed by a straight knockout 2 tier championship. Div 1 and 2 sides are in Tier 1. Div 3 and 4 sides are in Tier 2. Leaves Feb for provincials.
    Why do you have to start and complete one competition before the next begins?
    Run league and championship and provincial competitions concurrently.

Number 1 Kerry play in what is known as a 'hurling province' - where football is the second sport of counties at best - at worst it is not existent.

Yet Kerry have been given this advantage historically in a massively lopsided province. The most successful team in the country in one of the weakest provinces in the country.

Kerry were going for 8 in a row this year and won 15 out of the last 20 Munsters.
    Only for Covid19 it would be likely that Kerry would have won 8 in a row.

Also Kerry are very weak in other sports such as soccer, which other counties such as Louth, Dubin, Cork have to compete with.

Not only that Kerry is not known as a strong Rugby area compared to Dublin, Cork, Limerick.

If anything Kerry have had things very handy for many a decade, both in the structure of Munster and in the lack of competition from other sports.

They should give that idea a lash just for one year - three. A trial and see how it goes. Let people get used to it.

If the GAA don't change the football structure, after having to think of different ways of doing things since covid19. They will never do it, Not in my lifetime anyway

That would be even better, leaving more space for clubs.

One thing this year has shown is that the provinces are far too dragged out normally. It is really done for the sake of it imo. Almost so people forget most of the pointless matches, and start thinking of Super 8's and AI QF's.

That would be even better, leaving more space for clubs.

One thing this year has shown is that the provinces are far too dragged out normally. It is really done for the sake of it imo. Almost so people forget most of the pointless matches, and start thinking of Super 8's and AI QF's.
    It just doesnt make sense. It would separate provincial cups but still keep their relevance and after early rounds of provincial cups you would have extra weekends for some counties to then play club games while counties still playing. No county/level should be able to hold players hostage as such and players be able to play club and club players get their most important games in the best weather which doesnt happen anywhere near enough

Why does it matter? It's not soccer and it lets players focus on the one competition like they would with the clubs.

They should give that idea a lash just for one year - three. A trial and see how it goes. Let people get used to it.

If the GAA don't change the football structure, after having to think of different ways of doing things since covid19. They will never do it, Not in my lifetime anyway

It's not much different than what the Fixtures Review have proposed. Except you don't have weaker Div 3 and 4 teams getting into the All-Ireland over teams competing in Divs 1 and 2.

You'd have the following fixtures if it happened this year and used Jim McGuinness's 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc format. You'd have to mix up the games to avoid one side of the draw being too strong. Say 1 v 16, 3 v 14, 5 v 12, 7 v 10 on one side.

Kerry v Down
    Galway v Laois
    Donegal v Westmeath
    Roscommon v Meath

Dublin v Cork
    Tyrone v Clare
    Monaghan v Kildare
    Armagh v Mayo

Likely QFs would be:

Kerry v Galway
    Donegal v Roscommon

Dublin v Tyrone
    Monaghan v Mayo

• Advertisement

Why does it matter? It's not soccer and it lets players focus on the one competition like they would with the clubs.
    Are players not capable of focusing on two competitions at the one time. It changes the whole way teams would approach the entire season/year. Everything is build build build towards the all ireland. The league can have a totally different viewpoint/seen totally different to how its seen now.

Are players not capable of focusing on two competitions at the one time. It changes the whole way teams would approach the entire season/year. Everything is build build build towards the all ireland. The league can have a totally different viewpoint/seen totally different to how its seen now.

I'm sure they are but so far no one has expressed any interest in this. I'm sure the GPA would be promoting it if players wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Any Black card foul should result in a free shot one on one with the keeper from 21 in football and from the top of the D in hurling + the 10min bin.....The bin is no punishment for stopping goal scoring opportunity

I'm sure they are but so far no one has expressed any interest in this. I'm sure the GPA would be promoting it if players wanted it.
    They still should do it. It doesnt make sense to just play all competitions one at a time. It allows all sides at all levels a chance to play more as if you play one competition at a time and have your primary competition last then you are rushing club games into the last period but if you set out league through the year with knockout inter county comps also interspaced between the league games you can set out a clear calender for club players and clubs to set their games.
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    Any Black card foul should result in a free shot one on one with the keeper from 21 in football and from the top of the D in hurling + the 10min bin.....The bin is no punishment for stopping goal scoring opportunity
    No no no. All black cards shouldnt result in an almost guaranteed score.
    The sin bin is a very suitable punishment and more than enough. A free even black card offence should take place from where the infringement happened unless inside where you can award a penalty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

No no no. All black cards shouldnt result in an almost guaranteed score.
    The sin bin is a very suitable punishment and more than enough. A free even black card offence should take place from where the infringement happened unless inside where you can award a penalty...

Just the connacht final was decided by a black card foul in the last minute..Mayo did the same v Tipp when through on goal and a tap over free is of no use to the opposition when that occurs..the penalty does not fit the crime..

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Just the connacht final was decided by a black card foul in the last minute..Mayo did the same v Tipp when through on goal and a tap over free is of no use to the opposition when that occurs..the penalty does not fit the crime..
    Thats very occasionally and not all black card infringements deserve a penalty/free from 21.

All for the clubs coming up first next year

PTH2009 wrote: »
    All for the clubs coming up first next year

County will come first. Autumn/winter is more suited for clubs.

League will be split into groups of 4 and then we'll have championship with backdoor and no Super 8s. I hope they scrap that Tommy Murphy 2.0 because I had a look at how it would have worked this year and it's just a bad system.

County will come first. Autumn/winter is more suited for clubs.

League will be split into groups of 4 and then we'll have championship with backdoor and no Super 8s. I hope they scrap that Tommy Murphy 2.0 because I had a look at how it would have worked this year and it's just a bad system.

this year showed it can still happen to highest of standards in Autumn/Winter and also having clubs first gives more room for the vaccine to roll out and give hope of supporters attending matches etc How good would a late spring/summer National league be.

But as you said County will come first with empty stadiums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No Super 8s or hurling round robin, new league format and county before club - GAA reveal plan for 2021 season

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/no-super-8s-or-hurling-round-robin-new-league-format-and-county-before-club-gaa-reveal-plan-for-2021-season-39879571.html

Advertisement