Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

seligehgit wrote: »

Didn't mention in that article when the all-ireland club championship/finals would be.

Are they to end off the year in October? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

seligehgit wrote: »

Love that the hurling league is straight to the final with no BS knockout rounds. Love the hurling round robin but no surprise it cant be fitted in but hopefully we never see the super 8 again.

And I dont care if club our county is first cause if we do get fans at some stage I will happily go to either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Love that the hurling league is straight to the final with no BS knockout rounds. Love the hurling round robin but no surprise it cant be fitted in but hopefully we never see the super 8 again.

And I dont care if club our county is first cause if we do get fans at some stage I will happily go to either

Presume the 2 teams knocked out in the Leinster QFs will be in the relegation final. So probably Antrim v Laois.

Tier 2 final before a hurling SF. I'd rather have both football finals on the same day but at least RTÉ won't be able to find a good excuse not to cover it.

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Presume the 2 teams knocked out in the Leinster QFs will be in the relegation final. So probably Antrim v Laois.

Not really fair given that 4 teams could be out without winning a game

• Advertisement

Tier 2 final before a hurling SF. I'd rather have both football finals on the same day but at least RTÉ won't be able to find a good excuse not to cover it.

I don't think that's how sports coverage works

I don't think that's how sports coverage works

Well RTE promised the GAA that they would cover so they have no excuse not to air the game if it is on before a hurling SF. They did it for the Joe McDonagh.

Not really fair given that 4 teams could be out without winning a game

Only way I can see. There has to be relegation next year.

Only way I can see. There has to be relegation next year.

It's probably the only available option without adding more games so it'll probably happen. Pity thought as it's unfair.

One possibility though is Kerry win and we get 6+6 with no relegation till the year after

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

I don't watch GAA very much these days and I was very disappointed in what I seen.
    Catching a ball, raising your hand and you get a free kick?
    All the players back in defense looks terrible too.
    I think they need some rule about the number of players allowed in the 40. And they need to get rid of the free kick if you catch a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Catching a ball, raising your hand and you get a free kick?

That needs to be gotten rid of I think. Kieran Donaghy would have more All -Ireland medals if that rule existed when he played. Tyrone would definitely have suffered under those rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They need to lose that Mark rule, load a bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d be for getting rid of the mark...

A stupid development in the game.....

The rule was brought in with the supposed intention of encouraging the skills of long-passing and high-fielding..

The game has simply evolved naturally where speed, fitness and minding the ball, keeping possession are more valued and conducive to success, then booting long high and hopeful passes away down the field....giving your opponent a greater chance or a 50/50 one of winning back possession..

Ultimately it slows up play, it takes far more ability to catch a ball, turn a defender, look up, pass, shoot or try beat a man, with milliseconds of thinking time then catch a football, do an impression of Tugboat from WWF and stand unchallenged to plan and play your next move. It’s BS. Whoever came up with that and those who approved it need feeding to Gorillas .

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Put a red line about 30 metres out from each goal .
    Keeper must kick the ball out pass the red line .
    It would stop short kick outs .
    Also if ball is caught from same kick out that's the only time a player can claim a "mark ".
    A serious look needs to be taken at the amount of hand passes a team can do in their own half .
    3 hand passes should be the limit before a player must kick the ball .
    The sport is Gaelic football ... But at this stage it should be called Gaelic handball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Gerry T

In my 50's and living in Dublin all my life. Growing up most lads i knew played for soccer teams but would play for school GAA teams. Others played rugby, tennis, swimming, running etc...
    I got into coaching soccer about 15 yrs ago and there was a massive shift, all the young kids were showing up to training with hurleys or gaa jerseys, they would be messing about hand passing. They were playing gaa on Sat and soccer on Sun, parents were saying it would toughen them up, but GAA was on the rise, that was 2005 ish.
    Your seeing that on the field now with senior teams, Dublin does have an advantage, its population. But talk of backroom teams and money isnt relavent. Many clubs in Dublin have to get sponsors to buy jerseys, their handed from older to younger teams. Any county team could have more volunteers in the backroom if they wanted. Dublin wins for one reason only, their the better team. Thats helped by a larger playing population.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up Gerry. Here I was thinking it's the millions of extra euro they put into the team!

There's 80 kids in my young lads' under 7s group

And we are just one North Dublin club.

When I was a kid down in North Cork, we'd often have to start games with 13/14 players.. maybe 15 if the ref was happy to look the other way as one of their's would play with us..

They get to train on a 4g pitch too.. it's a fantastic set up that many counties never mind clubs would be envious of.

It's a credit to the organization. But it has the feel of juggernaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

munster87 wrote: »
    I’m afraid you wouldn’t like them

I like everyone are open to reasonable suggestions to improve the whole championship

JeffKenna wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up Gerry. Here I was thinking it's the millions of extra euro they put into the team!

My daughter played for Judes, the club was run on a shoe string. Like alot of clubs in Dublin.
    But tell me, how does millions put the ball in the back of a net.
    The difference is the quantity of kids playing, developing the skills at an early age and the cream rises. It didnt happen overnight it took decades.

Millions of extra euro put into the team? Where is this millions spent on the team? Where do they get these millions that you speak of to spend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭crossman47

Gerry T wrote: »
    My daughter played for Judes, the club was run on a shoe string. Like alot of clubs in Dublin.
    The difference is the quantity of kids playing, developing the skills at an early age and the cream rises. It didnt happen overnight it took decades.

Yea and its now out of control. Inter county football is dying and the GAA can't see it. They will when Dublin win the next six and attendances fall further.

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote:
    Yea and its now out of control. Inter county football is dying and the GAA can't see it. They will when Dublin win the next six and attendances fall further.

Ok, so then consider splitting Dublin into 2 teams. But this is an exceptionally strong Dublin team that won't last forever, it spurs on other counties and i think it helps the game.
    All sports have a dominant player or team at some stage, man united, tiger woods, the all blacks etc...
    Should we split kilkenny in two also in Hurling.
    Do you not like dublin, is that part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Small example how money puts the ball in the back of the net. Against Westmeath this year Dublin had five people at the game on laptops tracking the players GPS in real time. When it comes down to a tight game like the draw against Kerry last year the Dublin players are fed far better info in order for them to make decisions in real time. That's literally money putting the ball in the back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Small example how money puts the ball in the back of the net. Against Westmeath this year Dublin had five people at the game on laptops tracking the players GPS in real time. When it comes down to a tight game like the draw against Kerry last year the Dublin players are fed far better info in order for them to make decisions in real time. That's literally money putting the ball in the back of the net.

Literally? No its not don't be silly.

jay1988 wrote: »

Literally? No its not don't be silly.

Course it is. If one team has real time data feeding into the players and the other team doesn't that's money giving one team an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Course it is. If one team has real time data feeding into the players and the other team doesn't that's money giving one team an advantage.

An advantage, yes, literally putting the ball in the net, no, that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Ya that's not what literally means. You're implying there's a bag of money on the pitch kicking the football.
    I agree with the point you're making but not with your use of the word "literally".

jay1988 wrote: »
    An advantage, yes, literally putting the ball in the net, no, that's ridiculous.

The initial post stated that money makes no difference and can't put the ball in the back of the net. I think we both agree that it does provide an advantage to Dublin during there games. And no, literally a €50 note isn't going to run into the pitch and put the ball in the back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

In my 50's and living in Dublin all my life. Growing up most lads i knew played for soccer teams but would play for school GAA teams. Others played rugby, tennis, swimming, running etc...
    I got into coaching soccer about 15 yrs ago and there was a massive shift, all the young kids were showing up to training with hurleys or gaa jerseys, they would be messing about hand passing. They were playing gaa on Sat and soccer on Sun, parents were saying it would toughen them up, but GAA was on the rise, that was 2005 ish.
    Your seeing that on the field now with senior teams, Dublin does have an advantage, its population. But talk of backroom teams and money isnt relavent. Many clubs in Dublin have to get sponsors to buy jerseys, their handed from older to younger teams. Any county team could have more volunteers in the backroom if they wanted. Dublin wins for one reason only, their the better team. Thats helped by a larger playing population.

This is a direct quote from an interview with a Dublin GPO Paraic McDonald:
    "The job was to increase the numbers and improve the quality of players. I was based on the southside, covering nine clubs, the likes of St Jude’s, Ballyboden, Thomas Davis, St Mark’s, St Killian’s, St Kevin’s. It would have been difficult, trying to work the club-school relationship when you were trying to cover that many clubs. I’d say 65 percent of my time back then would have been in the schools whereas now it would be 75 percent with the club [Kilmacud]

The big change came when the funding came through in 2004, 2005. All of a sudden you had 40-45 coaches. Instead of having to go around to 10 clubs, you only had to focus on one or two."

That figure is up to 60 or 70 coaches now btw. This is a facility only open to Dublin. No other county can afford to have that number of full time professional coaches working on their development. Ironically Dublin can well afford it, yet they still get millions from the GAA to finance it so they don't have to dip into their own pile of cash.

So yes, Dublin's success takes a huge amount of hard work from a lot of people, but it's not fair to compare their resources to other counties that are relying on volunteers when they can have a huge network of full time coaches working on player development

This is a direct quote from an interview with a Dublin GPO Paraic McDonald:
    "The job was to increase the numbers and improve the quality of players. I was based on the southside, covering nine clubs, the likes of St Jude’s, Ballyboden, Thomas Davis, St Mark’s, St Killian’s, St Kevin’s. It would have been difficult, trying to work the club-school relationship when you were trying to cover that many clubs. I’d say 65 percent of my time back then would have been in the schools whereas now it would be 75 percent with the club [Kilmacud]

The big change came when the funding came through in 2004, 2005. All of a sudden you had 40-45 coaches. Instead of having to go around to 10 clubs, you only had to focus on one or two."

That figure is up to 60 or 70 coaches now btw. This is a facility only open to Dublin. No other county can afford to have that number of full time professional coaches working on their development. Ironically Dublin can well afford it, yet they still get millions from the GAA to finance it so they don't have to dip into their own pile of cash.

So yes, Dublin's success takes a huge amount of hard work from a lot of people, but it's not fair to compare their resources to other counties that are relying on volunteers when they can have a huge network of full time coaches working on player development

They dont get millions, well if you consider 1.x millions then ok! But it's like comparing what funding Ireland and Germany get from the EU. You can just look at the whole figure you need to break it down somewhat. For example give Leitrim 500k for games development and it would go a long long way there. Give Dublin the same amount and it would not go a long way

• Advertisement

Errrr have a look at the backroom team Dublin had yesterday compared to Mayo.

How many are getting paid or just giving up their free time?

Advertisement