Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When they talk about George Soros, is that a veiled way of saying Jewish conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm buying into the widely reported theory that he'll go to Mara Lago at some point and just not come back. He made so many trips there over the last few years and I don't see him sticking in the WH until election day, as the weather will turn soon and there will be no more golfing in VA. He'll also want none of it when it becomes clear he has no path to stay, when they run out of crap to throw at walls, and all the media focus and pressure will likely be on the huge numbers of COVID deaths.

Yes, there is zero chance that he puts himself in a position where he ends up being cleared out of the White House on January 20th like some vagrant squatter. That would not look good for his brand. There's no graceful way to get evicted.

The Electoral college meets on Dec 14th - he will have run out of all legal ammunition and hair brained plans to subvert democracy by then. I think it's very likely he goes south for Christmas and never returns to Washington D.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

kowloon wrote: »
    When they talk about George Soros, is that a veiled way of saying Jewish conspiracy?

yeah thats it exactly , a tactic prob thought up by one of the jewish white supremiscist sect that hang around with the don.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think originally the Soros references started out in the more anti-Semitic corners of the web but at this stage it's just a box-ticking exercise name-dropping him.

He's basically a pantomime villain at this stage. He fulfills the same role as Charles Koch on the other side. He's bankrolling all of your most detested causes because he's pure evil wu-ha-ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think originally the Soros references started out in the more anti-Semitic corners of the web but at this stage it's just a box-ticking exercise name-dropping him.

He's basically a pantomime villain at this stage. He fulfills the same role as Charles Koch on the other side. He's bankrolling all of your most detested causes because he's pure evil wu-ha-ha.

That said, I've never seen either of the Koch brothers cast as this master puppeteer behind all the woes that plague the left, as Soros is to the right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chatting with my American colleagues threw an interesting / scary factor into the CoVid equation: next week is Black Friday. Said colleagues opined that many states are not showing signs of shutting down for the day - does make one worry how bad the cases may spike if local authorities decide the annual profit bump is worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭eire4

pixelburp wrote: »
    Chatting with my American colleagues threw an interesting / scary factor into the CoVid equation: next week is Black Friday. Said colleagues opined that many states are not showing signs of shutting down for the day - does make one worry how bad the cases may spike if local authorities decide the annual profit bump is worth the risk.

The whole Thanksgiving holiday week next week is going to be a major super spreader event IMHO. As bad as the numbers are every day now over 150,000 cases on a daily bases and now over 1,500 dead a day I think you will see a significant spike in the daily numbers 10-14 days after the Thanksgiving holiday in the US which by that time line would lead to a spike in the daily death numbers right around Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ivanka Trump claims she's being harrassed on the inquiries into her consulting fees;
    “This is harassment pure and simple,” Ivanka Trump said on Twitter, linking to the report in the New York Times. “This ‘inquiry’ by NYC democrats is 100% motivated by politics, publicity and rage. They know very well that there’s nothing here and that there was no tax benefit whatsoever. These politicians are simply ruthless.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/20/ivanka-trump-new-york-fraud-inquiries-donald-trump-organization

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    Ivanka Trump claims she's being harrassed on the inquiries into her consulting fees;
    “This is harassment pure and simple,” Ivanka Trump said on Twitter, linking to the report in the New York Times. “This ‘inquiry’ by NYC democrats is 100% motivated by politics, publicity and rage. They know very well that there’s nothing here and that there was no tax benefit whatsoever. These politicians are simply ruthless.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/20/ivanka-trump-new-york-fraud-inquiries-donald-trump-organization

Oh the normally steady as a rock(at least her public image) is not so steady. The January 20th date is looming large and the trump family with the exception of Tiffany and baron trump are nervous as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh the normally steady as a rock(at least her public image) is not so steady. The January 20th date is looming large and the trump family with the exception of Tiffany and baron trump are nervous as hell.

Oh I would say Melania is set for her long delayed payday soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They do need to be legally pursued. Not for vindictive reasons but to reset to record and justice.

Water John wrote: »
    They do need to be legally pursued. Not for vindictive reasons but to reset to record and justice.

I mean I’ve never understood why the other Trumps bar the president weren’t pursued during the last four years. They may be the children of the president but that doesn’t give any immunity, and even the presidential immunity from prosecution is only a legal opinion and has never been tested in court. I mean bill Clinton wasn’t immune from being called as a witness while he was president.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean I’ve never understood why the other Trumps bar the president weren’t pursued during the last four years. They may be the children of the president but that doesn’t give any immunity, and even the presidential immunity from prosecution is only a legal opinion and has never been tested in court. I mean bill Clinton wasn’t immune from being called as a witness while he was president.

Because a lot of the s**t they have done has been while "employees" of the Trump business, or at east the tax/fraud elements (which Ivanka is being brought up on).

But Trump has blocked the IRS from getting his account info by blocking subpeonas to his accounting firms, saying it would impede his acting as President (it wouldnt). So investigators have nothing to work with....until 12:01pm Jan 20th when they can apply freely to get the info. The Ivanka consultancy fee thing only came to light when the NYT leaked Trumps tax returns, wasnt it?

But more its just people were fearful for their jobs with the tangerine-in-chief in the Oval Office. Look at Comey; Trump cheering him on in the White House cause his reopening Hillarys case and got Trump the election....soon as he was investigating Russia, gone! Anyone who defies the "CEO" gets axed; just last week, head of DHS claims election was the fairest, most secure (so his job)....axed by Trump for not following his deluded narrative.

You think anyone would survive 5 seconds in any position if they started sniffing round the Trump spawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm buying into the widely reported theory that he'll go to Mara Lago at some point and just not come back. He made so many trips there over the last few years and I don't see him sticking in the WH until election day, as the weather will turn soon and there will be no more golfing in VA. He'll also want none of it when it becomes clear he has no path to stay, when they run out of crap to throw at walls, and all the media focus and pressure will likely be on the huge numbers of COVID deaths.

After Jan 21st: https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/extradition-from-fl-to-ny-981059.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There's been a noticeable change in the House of Representative's application to the U.S.S.C for the House to have access to secret Grand-Jury testimony from Robert Mueller's Russia investigation. The House requested the U.S.S.C to put off arguments scheduled for Dec 02nd and the court agreed to the request allowing for the incoming house judiciary committee in the new year to decide whether it would continue with the case. A letter noted that President Donald Trump’s defeat in his bid for reelection could affect the committee’s decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can we even call it veiled?

I see the that the press secretary is now claiming that trump didn’t get a peaceful transfer of power. Cue trump at his inauguration thanking Obama by name, for you guessed it, a peaceful transition. These people must think America and the world are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can we even call it veiled?

It's really hard to wrap your head around how all these conspiracy theories can coexist.

You have people like Steven Miller, who is himself Jewish, pushing white nationalist polices.

You have Jared Kushner who's Jewish, the son in law of a man who helps to propagate anti-semitic conspiracies, and who is hock to Saudi Arabia, who presumably want to exterminate Israel.

You have them, the Trump campaign, and much of the far right (although not all of it), being big fans of the ethno-nationalist wing of Israel.

And then you have the fact many of them believe some combination of the Jews wanting a one-world government, propagating the influx of immigrants as an attack on the white man, Soros funding abortion clinics to kill off the white race, or QAnon, which is just more or less a reskin of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion anti-semetic conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Not much about the new pharmaceutical drug costs legislation passed by Trump yesterday

Why didnt he pass it any time in last 4 years, especially when republicans had all 3 arms of government? Why wait till now?

Why are republicans and Trump blocking stimulus and relief for Covid battered America?

Why is Trump not helping and actively hindering transition? Which makes it harder for Biden to work on better approach to Covid

Please answer the above questions before you disappear back into the woodwork. We might finally get an interesting debate/discussion.

I can only comment on what's happening now.

I dont know what he is or was thinking. How can I answer that?

Legislation has been passed regarding drug prices. This is up to date.

I could say why didn't Obama/Biden pass something similar in 8 years of government but what's the point

Would you like to discuss this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dont know what he is or was thinking. How can I answer that?

Legislation has been passed regarding drug prices. This is up to date.

I could say why didn't Obama/Biden pass something similar in 8 years of government but what's the point

Would you like to discuss this?

Doing the absolute bare minimum doesn't really engender or require debate; what's to discuss except angling for some attempt to catch folk out. but when he's also intentionally preventing the next guy from properly inheriting the situation, the legislation rings hollow. The transition team still has no funding or access, thus ensuring Biden starts off fighting CoVid on the back foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Not much about the new pharmaceutical drug costs legislation passed by Trump yesterday

You always throw out these rhetorical statements any time trump gets off his fat ass and does anything, like it’s some sort of achievement to actually do his job for a change. What is it that upsets you so much about people not fawning over anything remotely positive he does?

fullstop wrote: »
    You always throw out these rhetorical statements any time trump gets off his fat ass and does anything, like it’s some sort of achievement to actually do his job for a change. What is it that upsets you so much about people not fawning over anything remotely positive he does?

Well there wasn't much about it. Nobody mentioned it before I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why can you only comment on what’s happening now? Is commenting on anything other than the present against the rules in here? Or is it just that it suits your narrative on this one?

fullstop wrote: »
    Why can you only comment on what’s happening now? Is commenting on anything other than the present against the rules in here? Or is it just that it suits your narrative on this one?

I was asked why he didn't do xyz
    I don't know why he didn't. That's all I'm saying

For example a poster asked why he didn't bring in drug pricing legislation 4 years ago. I cant answer that

Why would there? This is wood for trees stuff. If the prices find their way back to patients, then OBVIOUSLY this is a good thing worth of praise. But this isn't the big story of the Trump presidency and you know it isn't. Trump is contesting a legal election he lost, the fraud he claims proven false and refuses to allow the Biden camp to transition. This is the literal example of the lame duck administration and we should ring praises amid this chaos ... because? At the 11th hour he signs legislation? Again. Wood for trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Put it this way, if he hadn't done it everyone would be jumping over it and giving criticism for it.

Obama didn't and he never got such criticism though.

Trump does it and it's barely covered, the bias of the media showing once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Why don't we talk about them then?

During the press conference Trump announced two rules which his administration claims are aimed at reducing the price of drugs. Let's start with the one which is designed to prohibit pharmaceutical companies from providing rebates to pharmacy benefit managers and insurers and instead pass those savings onto consumers. According to Health and Human Services Secretary, Alex Azar, the move may be able to save patients up to 30% on their medications. Sounds great, right?

Well if you pay attention to this stuff, this rule may actually sound familiar and that's because it should, it's the same proposal that was put forward by the administration last year. Back then, however, they decided to kill it themselves when they realised that the only group that would save these kinds of expenses were approximately 30% of Medicare Part D enrolees (which themselves represent approximately 76% of all Medicare enrolees) while premiums would increase for everyone else. In fact, the Congressional Budget Office even weighed in and said it would also have cost the federal government $177b over the next 10 years.

Fast forward to July this year and Trump signed an executive order stating he wanted the ruling to return but only if "...the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall confirm — and make public such confirmation — that the action is not projected to increase Federal spending, Medicare beneficiary premiums, or patients’ total out-of-pocket costs".

So with the rule back in play, it's safe to assume that the HHS and administration have altered the policy to ensure this is the case, right? Or perhaps additional research was done by the respective administrative or regulatory bodies, or even the CBO itself, which offers a revised estimate on how the move will affect premiums and federal spending?

Nope.

The HHS has published this statement wherein Azar states...
    ...I confirm that in my view the Final Rule implementing the Executive Order is not projected to increase Federal spending, Medicare beneficiary premiums, or patients' total out-of-pocket costs.

My views on pricing of prescription drugs and premiums are informed by two decades of deep experience in pharmaceutical pricing, payment, and reimbursement.

It won't because Azar says it won't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why didnt he pass it any time in last 4 years, especially when republicans had all 3 arms of government? Why wait till now?
    US healthcare is insane. In theory US law means you can have a monopoly but you can't exploit it. This new law brings the US a little closer to the rest of the OECD.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/20/politics/trump-unveils-controversial-drug-price-rules/index.html
    The most-favored-nation rule allows the US to piggyback on discounts negotiated by other countries -- since Congress has banned Medicare from negotiating with drug makers.

Trump is making big noises about how now US insulin will now be only FOUR times as much the average of of the other OECD countries. This means the the excess profit is only three times what it costs to actually provide insulin elsewhere. But free market Reganomics means people are free to choose to whether to be exploited or die.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-delivering-lower-prescription-drug-prices-americans/
    Insulin was destroying lives and destroying families because the cost was so high, and now it’s at a level that nobody can even believe.

Is that correct, Seema?

ADMINISTRATOR VERMA: Thirty-five dollars a month.

Compare $35 to https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RRA788-1.html
    The average U.S. manufacturer price per standard unit across all
    insulins was $98.70, compared with $6.94 in Australia, $12.00 in Canada, $7.52 in the United Kingdom, and $8.81 across all non-U.S. OECD countries combined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Well, since I don't know what Trump was thinking, I can't really discuss it.
    Next!

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement