Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options
1320321322323324326»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Thoughts and Prayers :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1350189778319208448

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump can add that great achievement to his list. Genuinely delighted, that hopefully the NRA will no longer exist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thoughts and Prayers :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1350189778319208448
    To be fair NRA was one of the most corrupt and milking for leadership organizations making Trump look like saint by comparison for the last decade or two. While Trump may farm secret service at Mara Lago etc. the president of NRA bought houses with the money for himself and the family. On top of that it appears to be done to move NRA out of NY jurisdiction to avoid being looked at to closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Nody wrote: »
    To be fair NRA was one of the most corrupt and milking for leadership organizations making Trump look like saint by comparison for the last decade or two. While Trump may farm secret service at Mara Lago etc. the president of NRA bought houses with the money for himself and the family. On top of that it appears to be done to move NRA out of NY jurisdiction to avoid being looked at to closely.

This part of a fightback against NYS AG's seeking to dissolve it, with their good friend now on the way out the door. Hopefully the AG can ask the court to see the NRA move as an attempt to stymie the judicial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yet the NRA apparently have said their financial situation was sound, so how can they file for bankruptcy? They seem to be saying quite openly that they want to regroup and form a not for profit organisation?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns/national-rifle-association-files-for-bankruptcy-seeking-to-escape-new-york-lawsuit-idUSKBN29K2LV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

NRA ad from 2017

Have no doubt, NRA members were indeed on site the day Americas institutions came under attack. :rolleyes:

CNN reporting that Pentagon has authorised an increase of N/G troop numbers to 25,000 in DC area, due to increased worries about further civil dissident attacks on the Capitol due to increased "chatter" between suspected groups. Given the level of "stupidity" in the groups, I hope DOJ, Pentagon & State have steel around them as well.

It seems there's a discussion ongoing in the Pentagon on what sort of ceremony should be accorded to Trump at the White House while he's leaving it for the last time, band, colour party and artillery blank-firing salvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Water John wrote: »
    Trump can add that great achievement to his list. Genuinely delighted, that hopefully the NRA will no longer exist.

I suspect it is an accounting thing and they are doing it to simply not pay debtors back as opposed to actually being on the verge of going under.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Christy42 wrote: »
    I suspect it is an accounting thing and they are doing it to simply not pay debtors back as opposed to actually being on the verge of going under.

Same thing donald has been doing with debt for years, leaving a string of burned creditors behind it, hopefully all his bridges are burned now, and no one will be stupid enough to lend to him or his family again (no doubt there will be a lot of stupid trumpheads giving him money, but that only lasts so long).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I find that the hardest contradiction about living in America. The poverty, and inequality. The massive disparity in school quality. The healthcare system that'll bankrupt you for a broken arm. And for-profit prisons jam-packed to meet quotas. And all the while the state throws that sort of money to maintain a military force bigger than the rest combined.

I get the need for a strong deterrent, but it seems way out of proportion. Particularly when it's there in case it's required to protect their people - when in reality just a portion of that money could go so much further toward protecting their people domestically. Both for those who are already in trouble, and to stop the next generation of homeless or ill from falling through the cracks in the first place.

To an extent, this is a remaining callback to the lessons learned in the 1940s. The US had a policy of isolationism, with all the defense money going to the Navy as the branch which protected US commercial interests abroad, and on the basis that Canada and Mexico were unlikely to be major threats, any likely enemy attack would have to come over the ocean.

Then it was concluded that the prosperity and security of the US is tied with the prosperity and security of other countries. The US had to have an expeditionary capability, especially given no other country could do the job. Indeed, on a relative basis, the US is not as strong as it used to be. For most of the Cold War, the policy was to maintain the capability to fight two wars at once (read Warsaw Pact in Germany and Korean Peninsula), noawadays the stated goal is one war and one intervention. If one agrees that the US’s prosperity is tied to the security of its allies (and trading partners) then the military expenditure is justifiable.

With respect to the argument about how we could better spend the money on healthcare, education, and so on, it’s worth noting that the US spends a shed load of money on such things. We may spend a trillion dollars a year on defense, but the government spends nearly $2trn a year on healthcare. And a half trillion on welfare. And that’s government spending, before you add private expenditure like my paying my bills or insurance premiums.

chart?cht=p3&chs=730x300&chco=cc0000,4040ff,00cc00,cc8800,66cc00,0088ff,00ff70,ffcc88,808080&chf=bg,s,f0f0f0&chd=t:19,23,15,13,6,4,5,3,7,6&chl=Pensions%20$1,550%20bn%7CHealth%20Care%20$1,868%20bn%7CEducation%20$1,229%20bn%7CDefense%20$1,065%20bn%7CWelfare%20$457%20bn%7CProtection%20$316%20bn%7CTransportation%20$425%20bn%7CGeneral%20Government%20$220%20bn%7COther%20Spending%20$536%20bn%7CInterest%20$490%20bn&chtt=Total%20Spending%20for%20United%20States%20-%20FY%202021

We don’t seem to be getting good value for the money, that’s a different problem to not spending the money in the first place.

The other minor detail is that there is a school of thought (which I ascribe to) that things like healthcare or welfare shouldn’t be the Federal government’s problem anyway. Defense is specifically given as a task to the federal government, it should take in enough in taxes to cover it. Indeed, historically, up until about a century ago, defense was the -only- major federal government expenditure. Healthcare is not a federal government problem, so merely reducing federal military expenditure should not divert more money to healthcare. On the other hand, if the States want to increase their tax income for even more money on healthcare/welfare/whatever, that is an entirely unconnected issue to federal taxation and expenditure.

It’s not like Ireland where there is a centralized budget for all these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Is that federal government spending? Wow. Roughly $7tn in spending?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m behind the story but on CNN Thursday night the lawyer of the gob****e in the fur was saying his client needed a pardon from trump because his client was there because of Trump. It’s literally stupid watergate X 3. Also, the trump defence that his words are “protected speech” which surely that protection is gone by the actions of the crowds who acted on those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m behind the story but on CNN Thursday night the lawyer of the gob****e in the fur was saying his client needed a pardon from trump because his client was there because of Trump. It’s literally stupid watergate X 3. Also, the trump defence that his words are “protected speech” which surely that protection is gone by the actions of the crowds who acted on those words.

I was watching Cuomo last night, as I am now and by God it was insane. Nothing against the lawyer, as he's doing his job as an advocate, but yer man is clearly a wingnut.

There's a version of that as part of CNN's below screen headline quotes. Trump supporters truth could be the undoing of his lies.

Alex Azar has resigned as HSS Secretary after he told the U.S that the reserve of Covid-19 vaccine he said on Tuesday was to be released to the states DOES NOT EXIST. He has stated his resignation was a result of the attack on the Capitol building. If that doesn't count as almost a worse betrayal to Trump's betrayal of the U.S public, it's clearly maladministration. The revelation and resignation may incidentally have been forced by Joe Bidens statement that the vaccinations would increase when he took over from Trump. My guess is that if Azar knew about the fact that there was no vaccine reserve, then the head of the admin team running the vaccination programme [Mike Pence] also knew. If he knew, Trump knew as Pence knows to cover his ass.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/feds-release-all-reserved-covid-19-vaccine-doses/

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/pharmacy/us-didn-t-have-a-covid-19-vaccine-stockpile-when-hhs-announced-strategy-to-release-second-doses-officials-say.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is that federal government spending? Wow. Roughly $7tn in spending?

Nate

No. It is total US government spending, not just Feds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Washington post has photographed one of trumps large donors and backers Mr Pillow CEO meeting with trump yesterday. With... Get this...

Notes on instigating martial law and instilling Kash Patel as CIA director.

https://twitter.com/jabinbotsford/status/1350186100564905985

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    Alex Azar has resigned as HSS Secretary after he told the U.S that the reserve of Covid-19 vaccine he said on Tuesday was to be released to the states DOES NOT EXIST. He has stated his resignation was a result of the attack on the Capitol building. If that doesn't count as almost a worse betrayal to Trump's betrayal of the U.S public, it's clearly maladministration. The revelation and resignation may incidentally have been forced by Joe Bidens statement that the vaccinations would increase when he took over from Trump. My guess is that if Azar knew about the fact that there was no vaccine reserve, then the head of the admin team running the vaccination programme [Mike Pence] also knew. If he knew, Trump knew as Pence knows to cover his ass.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/pharmacy/us-didn-t-have-a-covid-19-vaccine-stockpile-when-hhs-announced-strategy-to-release-second-doses-officials-say.html

And with that the last great lie of Trump administration is exposed.

Despite foregoing everything in hopes of a vaccine, despite portraying Operation Warpspeed as a miracle, despite promising full military preparedness to roll out the vaccine and thus save America, it turns out Trump has been doing nothing.

Nothing, except trying to lie and cheat his way to overturning an election. Not because he believes it was illegal but because he doesn't like losing.

People are dying because this asejole cannot put aside his own selfish desires and instead try to help the country he proports to love.

As a final summation of the Trump presidency I think it is pretty apt.

Lies, cover up, abuse of others, big promises, grand self congratulations ceremonies, lack of detail, calling people that look to question any of it enemy, and then eventually the truth comes out.

And then, only then, does Trump claim to know nothing about any of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sparko

aloyisious wrote: »

His resignation letter says it takes effect at noon on January 20th so essentially he's resigning at the moment he gets fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sparko wrote: »
    His resignation letter says it takes effect at noon on January 20th so essentially he's resigning at the moment he gets fired.

Yet another profile in courage alright.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And with that the last great lie of Trump administration is exposed.

Despite foregoing everything in hopes of a vaccine, despite portraying Operation Warpspeed as a miracle, despite promising full military preparedness to roll out the vaccine and thus save America, it turns out Trump has been doing nothing.

Nothing, except trying to lie and cheat his way to overturning an election. Not because he believes it was illegal but because he doesn't like losing.

People are dying because this asejole cannot put aside his own selfish desires and instead try to help the country he proports to love.

As a final summation of the Trump presidency I think it is pretty apt.

Lies, cover up, abuse of others, big promises, grand self congratulations ceremonies, lack of detail, calling people that look to question any of it enemy, and then eventually the truth comes out.

And then, only then, does Trump claim to know nothing about any of it!

One interesting things I have came across was looking back at the Clinton impeachment. Clinton was impeached for lying under oath in what was a potential sexual harassment civil case.

The numbers in Congress were similar but with a GOP slight majority. 31 Democrats broke ranks to impeach Clinton in what was mostly an entrapment case by a friend if Lewinsky.

In the job I was in at the time I remember a lad passed a comment. Democrats f@@k there Secretaries, Republican f@@k there country. But he said as well that few Republicans would break ranks over an action that was carried out by a Republican.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

By and large he's right, the Republican's in general are far easier to get in line and toe a party line than the Democrats are, the circular firing squad of the Democratic side of the aisle is no myth.

Clinton deserved to be impeached, however incredibly obvious it was that the likes of Gingrich were just doing a political hit job and desperate to get him for something. Ultimately he gave it to them, doesn't equate at all to the current incumbent, Clinton was actually a pretty conservative leaning president. Some joke about how he was the best republican president in modern history. He did a good job in some aspects and a poor job in others imo but whatever you would think of him, as an orator, as someone who could charm a room and in terms of charisma and persuasiveness he has never really been equalled since.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

That woman from Texas(I think she’s an estate agent) is on camera saying she deserves a pardon from trump. So that’s two that I’ve heard who are asking for a pardon. Wouldn’t accepting a pardon been seen as admitting guilt ? The trump base don’t believe they’ve done anything wrong though so that would take some mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

That woman from Texas(I think she’s an estate agent) is on camera saying she deserves a pardon from trump. So that’s two that I’ve heard who are asking for a pardon. Wouldn’t accepting a pardon been seen as admitting guilt ? The trump base don’t believe they’ve done anything wrong though so that would take some mental gymnastics.

Honesty has never been a strong point or even mild concern for Trump supporters though, has it?

Honesty has never been a strong point or even mild concern for Trump supporters though, has it?

Amongst many other things no honesty hasn’t been anywhere near it. Honesty is like air in an autoclave to the trump crowd, it doesn’t work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement