Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Covid deaths pass 250K, another sad milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,995 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Water John wrote: »

Heart wrenching that it could of been easily avoidable if you had a president that actually gave a **** about his people

Trump is far to busy with his voter fraud crap

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »

According to cnn that’s more than strokes, suicides, and car crashes kill in a year but it’s almost nothing apparently. The complete lack of anything approaching empathy or exhibiting normal human instincts from trump and his administration and family is jarring. I mean even the worst leader at some point can show even a human side. The irony is if he’d not won but got the desired publicity for his business the investigations into his conduct in business and everything else would never have come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean even the worst leader at some point can show even a human side.

Even Hitler had a dog. There isn't a single thing about Trump you could look at and say oh there's a little humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Us are not even in the top ten for deaths per million . Countries like Spain, Italy, Belgium and the UK make up the top ten.
    Us are 11th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Us are not even in the top ten for deaths per million . Countries like Spain, Italy, Belgium and the UK make up the top ten.
    Us are 11th

So that makes Trump's approach okay then?

So that makes Trump's approach okay then?

No not at all.

But the facts and figures.

They could end up as the worst in the world but they aren't even in the top ten per million. 160k cases today. 1900k dead .
    Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

According to cnn that’s more than strokes, suicides, and car crashes kill in a year but it’s almost nothing apparently. The complete lack of anything approaching empathy or exhibiting normal human instincts from trump and his administration and family is jarring. I mean even the worst leader at some point can show even a human side. The irony is if he’d not won but got the desired publicity for his business the investigations into his conduct in business and everything else would never have come to light.

Saw a young american lady on Twitter earlier today, she was on her way to her uncles funeral, tomorrow she is going to her Grandfathers.
    Her aunt is on a ventilator and doesn't know her Dad is being buried. She says people don't realist how bad this is until it affects them.

Looking at her previous tweets, two weeks ago the same girl was calling for votes for Trump and said she couldn't understand how anyone would consider Biden.

Us are 11th

It has four percent of the world population yet I thinks it’s 20 percent or there a-bouts of the total coronavirus cases and no country has a quarter of a Million deaths and Spain,Italy, and other countries got the virus suppressed unlike the US who never got it low enough.

It has four percent of the world population yet I thinks it’s 20 percent or there a-bouts of the total coronavirus cases and no country has a quarter of a Million deaths and Spain,Italy, and other countries got the virus suppressed unlike the US who never got it low enough.

Yes. I edited my comment .

Italy are seeing over 30k cases a day again. Field hospitals set up again. In serious trouble

• Advertisement

Yes. I edited my comment .

Italy are seeing over 30k cases a day again. Field hospitals set up again. In serious trouble

Sorry didn’t see the edit.

Italy is going the wrong way again. It’s the mindset of a section of America and trump is the biggest voice to this mindset which is they want their freedoms which is great and people should be free to do things. I’d love to be doing things I was doing last year but reality is I’m not and yes I’m annoyed but what can I do ? I mean there are doctors and nurses on TV saying patients in hospital for COVID who are still not believing it’s real and cursing the staff who are trying to help them. It’s just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Alex Jones was with a group of Trump supporters who were inside and outside Georgia's Capitol building yesterday protesting the alleged "theft of the election" from Trump after Jones called on his supporters to surround the governor's mansion. The recount of the Georgia ended at 23.59 hours yesterday [Wed]. With the death threats made against the state official in charge of overseeing the election, it look's like Georgia might be the fuse to the situation fomented by Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Us are 11th

There's a lot of places that are bad though.

Like looking at norh dakota, they now have 1 death per 1k people which is worse than all those countries.

Parts of the US response have been good but that's down to individual governess and states.

But everything Trump has done on it has been fairly bad and all the time he talks about how brilliant his response has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Looks like the senate didn't bother dealing with a new covid relief bill but Mitch still had time to appoint more judges. All these barely qualified judges is probably the most damaging thing for the democrats during this whole administration

https://lawandcrime.com/judiciary/kathryn-mizelle-confirmed-as-federal-judge/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Us are 11th

11th from last in a 200 horse race is an appalling place to be.

salmocab wrote: »
    11th from last in a 200 horse race is an appalling place to be.

Plus the other top ten are a mixture of poorly handled or healthcare systems that are incapable of coping with the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Plus the other top ten are a mixture of poorly handled or healthcare systems that are incapable of coping with the load.

Definitely, other countries have also done a poor job for various reasons. America also had a head start over some of these countries too. Now I don’t subscribe to the everything in America is Trumps fault line but he is one of the major causes of Covids rampant run through America. Plenty of people have blame to burden but he set the tone early on and lost interest a while later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Us are 11th

Or you could look at the breakdown of States in US...

8 States currently have a rate of death greater then 1000 per 1million .
    Only 3 countries currently reach that unfortunate milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Midlife wrote: »
    There's a lot of places that are bad though.

Like looking at norh dakota, they now have 1 death per 1k people which is worse than all those countries.

Parts of the US response have been good but that's down to individual governess and states.

But everything Trump has done on it has been fairly bad and all the time he talks about how brilliant his response has been.

Belgium is at around 1.3 deaths per thousand. That said, I don't trust the US figures very much given all their fcukery.
    Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be devastating.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

kowloon wrote: »
    Belgium is at around 1.3 deaths per thousand. That said, I don't trust the US figures very much given all their fcukery.
    Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be devastating.

I saw two survey results in recent days asking broadly similar questions, but the difference in the answers were stark.

An Irish Survey asking people about their plans for Christmas day.

~65% said that they planned to limit it to immediate family only, with a further 20% or so saying that they were holding off making a decision until they saw what the guidelines would be at the end of the current lockdown.

A US Survey asking a similar question about Thanksgiving.

65% said they planned to have 10+ people at their Thanksgiving celebrations.

American "exceptionalism" at it's best (or worst)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I saw two survey results in recent days asking broadly similar questions, but the difference in the answers were stark.

~65% said that they planned to limit it to immediate family only, with a further 20% or so saying that they were holding off making a decision until they saw what the guidelines would be at the end of the current lockdown.

That is two different questions that can't really be compared.

One is asking about number of family groups, and immediate family could be anything from 1-4+ households depending on definition so isn't really clear.
    The other is asking the number of people and could again be anything from 1-4+ households.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Right Wing media and politicians have politicised Thanksgiving gatherings like they did mask wearing. Fox News is framing it as the Left trying to steal Thanksgiving.

I guarantee there will be significant groups of people this year that will go out of their way to have larger gathering to 'stick it to the libs'. It is a pity that the spill over wont be contained to those that attend those events.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭moon2

Us are 11th

I think we can probably agree that countries with a population of under 80k aren't super relevant when it comes to determining severity when using deaths per million.

A single case in a country of 80,000 equates to about 12 cases per million, which is objectively a bit nonsensical.

Using tiny countries as a way to say "the us rate isn't that bad" isn't a particularly compelling defense.

(Edit: and that's not even attempting to take into account mitigating factors like the US having far more warning and time to prepare a response than other countries in the top 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Thanksgiving and Hanukkah will be different this year for families with people [civil and military] coming home to the U.S. The HSS has decided that those people will have to quarantine abroad first for 2 weeks without a sign of Covid-19 and has stipulated that they will NOT be counted as members of U.S. households. I take it that means the HSS sees them as NOT having the same legal residential status as other members of the family they are actually members of but as something like visitors to the U.S with U.S passports and citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well seems the President will go ahead with pardoning the two turkeys. It will be hard for TV presenters keep a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it's shocking how much of a laughing stock trump has turned the US into.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/19/trump-administration-in-staggering-isolation-at-un-on-health-issues

Each time the amendments were decisively voted down in the general assembly, with the US drawing only a very small group of between four and 14 supporters. Its only consistent allies were Russia, Belarus, Syria, Qatar and the Pacific island states of Nauru and Palau.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

froog wrote: »
    it's shocking how much of a laughing stock trump has turned the US into.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/19/trump-administration-in-staggering-isolation-at-un-on-health-issues

Each time the amendments were decisively voted down in the general assembly, with the US drawing only a very small group of between four and 14 supporters. Its only consistent allies were Russia, Belarus, Syria, Qatar and the Pacific island states of Nauru and Palau.

Belarus and Syria fall into the Russia camp

Pacific island states are votes for hire if you look at who supports Japanese whaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

The press conference from Giuliani this evening was explosive to say the least. No doubt it will be brushed aside as nonsense by those who have difficulties reconciling themselves with the truth. The next 2 months are about to get very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

1123heavy wrote: »
    The press conference from Giuliani this evening was explosive to say the least. No doubt it will be brushed aside as nonsense by those who have difficulties reconciling themselves with the truth. The next 2 months are about to get very interesting.

Also brushed aside by the courts the last few weeks when fantasy meets reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Detritus70

1123heavy wrote: »

Is this the truth as universally accepted by all sane people, or "The Truth", which only exists in Giuliani's head?
    I was just mesmerized by the brown sauce dripping off his head.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement