Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

charlie14 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest I came very close to giving up on page 1 when I saw "74 estimates and 8 preliminary national estimates" but carried on to see at the end of page 1 "The expected total mortality burden of Covid-19 is directly related to the infection fatality rate"

A rather broad statement I felt, but if that is correct then we can expect a fatality rate to confirmed cases from this wave similar to the first of 3%.
    Hopefully that statement is incorrect, but that is the ratio from the first wave.

How "directly related" is not specified, as it is unknown.
    It might a factor of 10 less or more, and still this statement would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It might a factor of 10 less or more, and still this statement would be correct.

From the data we know that the ratio of deaths to confirmed cases from the first wave here is 3%. John Hopkins agree, and it is virtually the same on average worldwide.
    Anything else is based on nothing other than could be, may be, might be, estimated and discredited modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

From the data we know that the ratio of deaths to confirmed cases from the first wave here is 3%. John Hopkins agree, and it is virtually the same on average worldwide.
    Anything else is based on nothing other than could be, may be, might be, estimated and discredited modelling.

That in itself is basically meaningless unless you believe confirmed cases equates to all cases .

Cyrus wrote: »
    That in itself is basically meaningless unless you believe confirmed cases equates to all cases .

As opposed to the meaningless might be, could be, estimated modeling etc.:pac:

"The expected total mortality burden of Covid-19 is directly related to the infection fatality rate"
    Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 

I guess you do not know the meaning of "directly related" as you appear to wish to contradict me.

I posted the John Hopkins link in the hope that it might inform some about the different percentages and what they mean.

Seems I failed .... oh well .........

• Advertisement

I guess you do not know the meaning of "directly related" as you appear to wish to contradict me.

I posted the John Hopkins link in the hope that it might inform some about the different percentages and what they mean.

Seems I failed .... oh well .........

If you posted the John Hopkins link to inform me, then there was no need.
    I have repeatedly posted here that the ratio of deaths to confirmed cases is 3%.

Does this "directly related" you are twittering on about contradict both John Hopkins or my posted ratio of deaths to confirmed cases of 3% or is it another could be, may be, nobody knows ??

If you posted the John Hopkins link to inform me, then there was no need.
    I have repeatedly posted here that the ratio of deaths to confirmed cases is 3%.

There was, and obviously still is, that need.
    Your preferred 3% is not the only, or even best, way of measuring the death toll due to Covid.
    Maybe you should try again to read and understand what is on that Johns Hopkins site.
    Does this "directly related" you are twittering on about contradict both John Hopkins or my posted ratio of deaths to confirmed cases of 3% or is it another could be, may be, nobody knows ??

"twittering"? oh my gosh you are really something!

It was you who drew attention to that "directly related" to 3% and seemed to draw incorrect conclusions from it.
    I posted to ensure those incorrect conclusions could not be drawn.

If that upsets you to the point of you finding it necessary to try to denegrate my post with your silly "twittering" then tough. Get over it.

You are not going to goad me like that.

I have already posted about the 3% and the 0.04%.

Do you deny the Johns Hopkins figure of 0.04%?
    The case-fatality rate for Ireland is 3.0% according to Johns Hopkins
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

and 40 per 100,000 population ... 0.04% if I am not mistaken.

I guess people will pick whichever figure suits their purpose.

I much prefer to see the figures for overall mortality and compare those numbers to previous years.
    Some here might be surprised at how small those excess death figures are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Most people aren't fully ahdering to the lockdowns. There's a poll on another thread and I think over half admitted they're flouting the 'rules' (albeit most in a more cautious way).

People have lost interest in the whole lockdown thing. They can see that a virus with less than 0.1% fatality rate for majority of the population doesn't justify turning their life completely upside down for. The death figures are very low, and the average age of Corona deaths is the same as the average age of people dying anyway.

You can champion lockdowns all you want and stay in your house until your government tell you it's safe to leave. The rest of us will get on with our lives. Not having a go at you, but it's just reality.

Hello. The suppression of corona does not require that people fully adhere to the restrictions. Restrictions are applied according to the epidemiological data and models, and the projections for the health care system to handle the projected case load. This process inherently takes account of the level of non-compliance : the greater the non-compliance, the sooner or the greater the increase in counter measures. There is no escaping this reality, however unpleasant its consequences be.

road_high wrote: »
    Imagine a country where an unelected medical autocrat decides if and when shops etc are going to reopen for Christmas - by jasus he isn’t giving it up anytime soon that’s for sure

Hello. There is a great misunderstanding your statement. And it would seem to me, also some level of irrational personal attack. NPHET, as a group, provides advice to a democratically elected government, for it to take into consideration, with all manner of other economic and societal. The cabinet - elected - decides on and implements policy as it sees fit. No medical autocrat has any authority to decide on such matters as shot openings or other such issues - and indeed they do not even exist, other than as some imagined bogeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Hello. There is a great misunderstanding your statement. And it would seem to me, also some level of irrational personal attack. NPHET, as a group, provides advice to a democratically elected government, for it to take into consideration, with all manner of other economic and societal. The cabinet - elected - decides on and implements policy as it sees fit. No medical autocrat has any authority to decide on such matters as shot openings or other such issues - and indeed they do not even exist, other than as some imagined bogeyman.

Bye bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Hello!
    If what you are saying is true then why do they do on TV twice a week to inform the public and answer questions from the press, then use their own personal twitter accounts to tell the world of their opinions.
    They've even announced measures on twitter before government have even met to approve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Hello!
    If what you are saying is true then why do they do on TV twice a week to inform the public and answer questions from the press, then use their own personal twitter accounts to tell the world of their opinions.
    They've even announced measures on twitter before government have even met to approve them.

...because that's what Twitter is for?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    ...because that's what Twitter is for?

Why do they announce and defend measures on twitter before government have even met to consider their recommendations?

Nolan and Glynn were telling people why they were closing indoor dining and drinking in Dublin days before the cabinet had even met to approve it.

Hello!

Hello. Unfortunately, I am unable to answer your question at this time. I am considering my position on this boards. I will endeavour to answer questions or enquiries posed through the systems direct messaging facility. Thank you for your forebearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Hello. Unfortunately, I am unable to answer your question at this time. I am considering my position on this boards. I will endeavour to answer questions or enquiries posed through the systems direct messaging facility. Thank you for your forebearance.

:D Good one.

Who are you tonight? NPHET or DoH?

Go on, answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

NPHET pushed itself to the fore with models that predicted a deadly virus that turned out to be not so deadly. They may have been excused for this in the beginning.

But perpetuating that fear with inaccurate and wild warnings of catastrophic levels of sickness and death, in the face of evidence to the contrary has no excuse now.

They have done nothing to clearly communicate accumulated stats, studies and research conducted in the past six months that would alleviate the fear in society.

They persist in clinging to their importance to the detriment of ‘all manner economic and societal.’ There has been little or no balance in this country.

They are well aware they hold sway over the public through their messaging and, by proxy, the government. It’s toxic - and yes the government is every bit as much to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Allinall wrote: »
    Curious as to what you mean by the bolded bits?

Does a question this stupid even need an answer? It would appear so- None of these Nphet jokers are charity workers (despite their endless virtue signalling and faux hero worship from the interminably braindead), all are in various high profile public medical and academic positions. All of which are extremely lucrative now underscored by new opportunities for research, medical stewardship and medical positions. Also the cosying up to political and media establishments is another advancement opportunity- you don't actually have to do anything tangible- just repeat the same crap over and over about "being careful" and lashing on more lockdowns- job done.
    Nphet have achieved precisely nothing (apart from adding greatly to our national debt, stealing precious resources from down the road)- they're an extremely disruptive talk shop we would be very wise to disband immediately. But like all cults that takes times as they still have a rather large and devoted inexplicable following (for now).

There was, and obviously still is, that need.
    Your preferred 3% is not the only, or even best, way of measuring the death toll due to Covid.
    Maybe you should try again to read and understand what is on that Johns Hopkins site.

"twittering"? oh my gosh you are really something!

It was you who drew attention to that "directly related" to 3% and seemed to draw incorrect conclusions from it.
    I posted to ensure those incorrect conclusions could not be drawn.

If that upsets you to the point of you finding it necessary to try to denegrate my post with your silly "twittering" then tough. Get over it.

You are not going to goad me like that.

I have already posted about the 3% and the 0.04%.

Do you deny the Johns Hopkins figure of 0.04%?

Stop the childish nonsense. The only directly related figure we have on the ratio of deaths to confirmed cases is from the first wave. 3% for Ireland and 6% for Sweden. It`s a simple mathematical calculation that you can do for any country you choose. Worldwide if you wish.
    Anything else is nothing other than guesswork and supposition.

Seeing as you have nothing much to add on this topic, (other than attempting to move goalposts), rather than being on here getting huffy you might be better off spending your time having a chat with your friend in Sweden.
    He may not know tomorrow his region comes under new recommendations/restrictions.
    Yet another region in Sweden that has dumping those of the government in favour of its own. Practically all of Sweden at this stage in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

road_high wrote: »
    Does a question this stupid even need an answer? It would appear so- None of these Nphet jokers are charity workers (despite their endless virtue signalling and faux hero worship from the interminably braindead), all are in various high profile public medical and academic positions. All of which are extremely lucrative now underscored by new opportunities for research, medical stewardship and medical positions. Also the cosying up to political and media establishments is another advancement opportunity- you don't actually have to do anything tangible- just repeat the same crap over and over about "being careful" and lashing on more lockdowns- job done.
    Nphet have achieved precisely nothing (apart from adding greatly to our national debt, stealing precious resources from down the road)- they're an extremely disruptive talk shop we would be very wise to disband immediately. But like all cults that takes times as they still have a rather large and devoted inexplicable following (for now).

Yes whatever the individual intentions of the members of NPHET were or are (and as often with such groups, intentions may have been genuinely for the good of society), there is no doubt their academic futures are looking bright with the possibility of managing future possible pandemics and with studying and researching Covid. They will certainly be very much aware of their personal stake in this.

It’s not unreasonable to be wary of advice to the public resulting in potential personal gain.

Why do they announce and defend measures on twitter before government have even met to consider their recommendations?

Nolan and Glynn were telling people why they were closing indoor dining and drinking in Dublin days before the cabinet had even met to approve it.

No idea. It wouldn't be my idea of fun to follow them on Twitter, so I don't. They're free to Tweet what they want though (within Twitter's T&Cs).

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

No idea.

Because they expect their recommendations to be accepted 100% by government so they announce them to the public first to ensure they are pushed though.

They've gone far beyond their remit of just recommending government.

Anyone who can't see this game being played is blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No idea. It wouldn't be my idea of fun to follow them on Twitter, so I don't. They're free to Tweet what they want though (within Twitter's T&Cs).

In fairness he was asking Deep Throat from the NHEPT/DoH/Cabinet Room.

Because they expect their recommendations to be accepted 100% by government so they announce them to the public first to ensure they are pushed though.

They've gone far beyond their remit of just recommending government.

Anyone who can't see this game being played is blind.

I see. You were asking a rhetorical question. Except your own answer is incorrect. They (NPHET) wanted Level 5 weeks before it actually happened because the government didn't want it pushed through. The government call the shots. Anyone who can't see this is blind.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    :D Good one.

Who are you tonight? NPHET or DoH?

Go on, answer the question.

Mod

Don't discuss other users bans.

Stop the childish nonsense. The only directly related figure we have on the ratio of deaths to confirmed cases is from the first wave. 3% for Ireland and 6% for Sweden. It`s a simple mathematical calculation that you can do for any country you choose. Worldwide if you wish.
    Anything else is nothing other than guesswork and supposition.

Is that a denial of the Johns Hopkins 0.04% figure?
    or maybe you would prefer to answer my question directly?
    Seeing as you have nothing much to add on this topic, (other than attempting to move goalposts), rather than being on here getting huffy you might be better off spending your time having a chat with your friend in Sweden.
    He may not know tomorrow his region comes under new recommendations/restrictions.
    Yet another region in Sweden that has dumping those of the government in favour of its own. Practically all of Sweden at this stage in fact.

Thank you for the advice.
    I will be sure to give it the consideration it deserves.

Cyrus wrote: »
    if people are going to persist with a 3% mortality rate then i think we can.

If that is in reference to my posts perhaps you would be good enough to stop attempting to misrepresent what I posted.

The mortality ratio for confirmed cases for Ireland was 3% from the first wave.

If that is in reference to my posts perhaps you would be good enough to stop attempting to misrepresent what I posted.

The mortality ratio for confirmed cases for Ireland was 3% from the first wave.

Back when thousands waiting on tests got cancelled, back when we wouldn’t test unless you had multiple symptoms, back when we only tested a fraction of what we do now and clearly missed god only knows how many asymptomatic cases...

Your 3% is a useless stat.

Is that a denial of the Johns Hopkins 0.04% figure?
    or maybe you would prefer to answer my question directly?

Thank you for the advice.
    I will be sure to give it the consideration it deserves.

I already did.

I already told you I had no intention of going down rabbit holes playing your transparent attempt at changing goalposts.

If he is a friend giving it a bit more than just consideration might be a good idea. Otherwise he could end up tomorrow still following defunct government restrictions/recommendations rather than the much stricter ones of the local authority.

Back when thousands waiting on tests got cancelled, back when we wouldn’t test unless you had multiple symptoms, back when we only tested a fraction of what we do now and clearly missed god only knows how many asymptomatic cases...

Your 3% is a useless stat.

Some countries were doing more testing, some less, but funnily enough it is the same ratio worldwide of deaths to confirmed cases.

• Advertisement

Appears to be quite a range of CFR according to Johns Hopkins
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

CFR.png

Seems to me to range between 1.2% and 9.8% rather than all at 3%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement