Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

OAOB wrote: »
    I think the split season is a good idea for two main reasons;
    1. the club player has a set season with regular matches and a known conclusion date
    2. the club matches generated a lot more interest this year as the intercounty matches weren't distracting from it
    You have some players who never get an off season then?
    Club games get lot of interest anyway and the club players are in the majority so why should they be limited in terms of playing their main competitions to specific periods because of the small number who play inter county.
    There is more than enough time to play both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Keep the seasons split !

Great to see the clubs getting their place in the sun.

Longer season for supporters with costs spread out over as much of the year as possible.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

lim4ev wrote: »
    For what it's worth I totally agree with you play club and county in tandem with proper rest times between games best of both worlds then

County players will not be allowed to play club by many managers

Jizique wrote: »
    Well do something to stop that. Everything cant be held up for the tiny numbers who play inter county

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Xenophile wrote: »
    Just wondering what you think, should the clubs play first, or the intercounty first?

My own view is the club competition is run off first!

Too much emphasis on the Prima Donnas in the intercounty scene

In what way are they "Prima Donnas"???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

OAOB wrote: »
    I think the split season is a good idea for two main reasons;
    1. the club player has a set season with regular matches and a known conclusion date
    2. the club matches generated a lot more interest this year as the intercounty matches weren't distracting from it

Agreed. Full focus now on club games.
    Also, fairer to the County players. They are not being pulled by two managers, and trying to split their attention between two teams.
    Club championship should also give players a chance to play their way onto the county panel.

The County Senior Hurling Fina between Lougmore and Kiladangan is to be shown live next Sunday on TG4.

Keep the two competitions split and we will see more Club games on the tele.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

johnb25 wrote: »
    Agreed. Full focus now on club games.
    Also, fairer to the County players. They are not being pulled by two managers, and trying to split their attention between two teams.
    Club championship should also give players a chance to play their way onto the county panel.
    So make their seasons longer. There needs to be more combination/mixing of the seasons to get a better off season/more club games in summer and not hold up all levels of senior club because of 35 players per county...
    The County Senior Hurling Fina between Lougmore and Kiladangan is to be shown live next Sunday on TG4.

Keep the two competitions split and we will see more Club games on the tele.
    There will always and always has been loads of club games live on tv. Time of year has been irrelevant.

In the event of a clash the broadcaster will always pick the most glamourous tie.

So make their seasons longer. There needs to be more combination/mixing of the seasons to get a better off season/more club games in summer and not hold up all levels of senior club because of 35 players per county...

Intercounty already runs from December through August, followed by club, so couldn't make it much longer. Just divert some of the county training time to club season. Scrap the pre-season leagues and knock out competition at the end of the league. Club competitions first, then the best players into the county squad. On the club side I would scrap the provincial and all Ireland series.

• Advertisement

Already runs from December through August, so couldn't make it much longer. Just divert some of the county training time to club season. Scrap the pre-season leagues and knock out competition at the end of the league. Club competitions first, then the best players into the county squad. On the club side I would scrap the provincial and all Ireland series.
    The provincial and all ireland series for clubs is one of the best competitions and especially the junior/intermediate levels give even the smallest clubs the opportunity to play in Croke Park. It would be ridiculous to not play them

The pre season competitions have to be scrapped. Just let teams play friendlies which they do on top of these competitions anyway.
    I dont see why you should scrap the knock out games in the league or complete the league before the championship even starts.

The provincial and all ireland series for clubs is one of the best competitions and especially the junior/intermediate levels give even the smallest clubs the opportunity to play in Croke Park. It would be ridiculous to not play them

The pre season competitions have to be scrapped. Just let teams play friendlies which they do on top of these competitions anyway.
    I dont see why you should scrap the knock out games in the league or complete the league before the championship even starts.

Reason for scrapping club competitions outside the county is to bring a clean end to the club season before county starts. Maintaining it for lower grades would probably not impact county squads. Hadn't considered them.
    Scrapping the knock out league games would shorten the season for the county players. Could also make for more competitive rounds if there is no second chance to win it via the knock out competition at the end.

Reason for scrapping club competitions outside the county is to bring a clean end to the club season before county starts. Maintaining it for lower grades would probably not impact county squads. Hadn't considered them.
    Scrapping the knock out league games would shorten the season for the county players. Could also make for more competitive rounds if there is no second chance to win it via the knock out competition at the end.
    I dont know any club players who would want to remove the provincial and all ireland series.
    There doesnt have to be a clear break between club season and inter county season if clubs, county boards and county coaches treated club players with respect.
    If you put proper sanctions in place to stop clubs games from being halted because of inter county teams then you can play both simultaneously.

You can shorten the inter county championship by streamlining the provincial championships far more than cutting knock out league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Put the structures in place so that county managers can't do that if it's a level playing field you'd be surprised how quick it'll become the norm

lim4ev wrote: »
    Put the structures in place so that county managers can't do that if it's a level playing field you'd be surprised how quick it'll become the norm

That's how it should be, but I'm sceptical about it being brought in, or enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

That's how it should be, but I'm sceptical about it being brought in, or enforced.

County managers would “invent” injuries to prevent players playing for clubs; happened in Dublin with the footballers more than a few times, even Brian Howard was “encouraged” not to play for DIT in Jan/Feb college competition although he was on scholarship in preparation for Aug/Sept county games

County managers would “invent” injuries to prevent players playing for clubs; happened in Dublin with the footballers more than a few times, even Brian Howard was “encouraged” not to play for DIT in Jan/Feb college competition although he was on scholarship in preparation for Aug/Sept county games

Exactly. And it puts the players in an unfair position. That's why I think something like we have this year is the way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Just wondering what you think, should the clubs play first, or the intercounty first?

My own view is the club competition is run off first!

Too much emphasis on the Prima Donnas in the intercounty scene

tipp dont have too many prima donnas espically with people like o'shea and sheedy around but it would be a better idea if the club was played first in the summer and inter county in winter

the real cash cow for the gaa is the all ireland semi finals onward and to be fair if they were played on a Saturday night in December they would still clean up

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭1373

No mention of the hurling county final on the Tipp gaa Twitter all week but all week posting about the county board draw , goes to show exactly what kind of people run the show and before anyone says money is important for games ,I’d reckon the players and games are everything in the gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Is the county final on tg4 today?
    Only see tour de france on listings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Hello all. First post here in the Tipp forum. i just had a quick question. What radio station or podcast has today's match coverage live? I've GAAGO but like to have some way to listen to English commentary when there's a confusing refereeing decision. I know I can find it once it starts but don't want to be scrambling to find the right station while trying to watch. TippFM?
    Thx to any who reply.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Triboro wrote: »
    Is the county final on tg4 today?
    Only see tour de france on listings!

2pm tg4

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Great win for Mullinahone yesterday. Cracking game at the moment. Anyones with a little over 10 left. Kiladangan perhaps marginally better

The Seamus O'Riain has been a brilliant and badly needed competition. Its really improved the level of competitiveness within Tipp overall. No more one sided games. The preceding situation was absolutely farcical. Now we have a fair and level system in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Some ending to the final there.

Some game.
    Just when you taught it was over...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

what a game, what a finish to it. always nice to see a team win their first county title, but that is a hard one to lose. huge credit to both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Incredible finish to the game. Would have been easy to put it over for the equaliser and he would have been criticised if it was saved/missed but what a finish it was. Straight into the top corner. Unreal.

Christ that game had absolutely everything. Terrific stuff. no saving that rocket from Mcloughney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Could you see the final anywhere in next few days on a stream or something?

Heard it was a classic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement